Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ally Spirits, Shamanic Spellcasting Prejudice
Fortune
post Mar 8 2005, 08:52 PM
Post #1

Immoral Elf

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,486

When a Shaman summons an Ally Spirit, then teaches it spells, would the Ally have the same modifiers to specific spell categories as the Shaman?

If, for instance. a Raccoon Shaman were to teach his Ally a Combat spell, would it have 1 less dice to use when it cast that spell? Would that same Ally get bonus dice for Manipulation spells?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Mar 8 2005, 08:51 PM
Post #2

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

That sounds appropriate, though it could be worse, they could be subject to the limitations of aspected shamanic sorcerers

+Quote Post
Prospero
post Mar 8 2005, 09:16 PM
Post #3

Illuminate of the New Dawn

Member No.: 4,700

If you read the sorcery entry for allies strictly, then, no, they don't because they just have a skill equal to their summoner's, they don't cast like their summoner, which is sort of supported by the fact that both the spirit and the summoner can't learn a spell at the same time - the summoner has to learn it for his ally or for himself, implying that they use different methods.

Having said that, it makes sense to me. I mean, if your a shaman, your ally is likely to be related somehow to your totem, right? So why not have the same bonuses/penalties?

+Quote Post
Smed
post Mar 8 2005, 09:22 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 241

I'd house rule it that the Ally would have the same bonuses and limitations as the summoner.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 9 2005, 02:06 AM
Post #5

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

Then what happens when they go free? Spirits don't follow any magical traditions, per se, and I'm fairly certain they have a different view of magic than humanity (you don't see spirits conjuring other spirits, for example). Although folks may house rule Ally Spirits to follow totemic traditions while they are under the influence of their summoner, I don't see spirits retaining that totem after they are free.

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Mar 9 2005, 04:26 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 6,543

Well, Spirits are magic. Free ally spirits don't take drain. They are not makes,and are not shamans. They can't learn conjuring,and the don't by themselves gain karma.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Mar 9 2005, 04:44 AM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

QUOTE (MITS @ p109, sorcery, 2nd paragraph)

Allies are subject to the normal rules for sorcery, including drain.

unusual for spirits but there you have it.

Edward

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 9 2005, 05:02 AM
Post #8

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (Edward)
QUOTE (MITS @ p109, sorcery, 2nd paragraph)

Allies are subject to the normal rules for sorcery, including drain.

unusual for spirits but there you have it.

Edward

Free Ally Spirits do not take drain. Under the rules for Free Spirits, the Sorcery power states that Drain does not affect the spirit.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Mar 9 2005, 05:20 AM
Post #9

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

As much sense as it makes to limit the spirit in that way. They do pay out the ass painfully so with karma in order to get the ally spirit, I'd say let the spirit act as a neutral spirit and not have any penalties/bonuses. Now, if you had a dove shaman (they can't cast combat spells IIRC) who had an ally spirit. And the ally spirit somehow learned a combat spell, it could cast it, but I would rule the dove shaman couldn't directly ask it to, it would have to be a case where the spirit was doing it of its own free will to either help itself get away, or help the shaman out.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Mar 9 2005, 05:21 AM
Post #10

Resident Legionnaire

Member No.: 6,550

Since the shaman has to develope a formula for the Ally, can he program into the formula "will follow raccoon"?

This leads to: Can an Ally's personality be created along with it?

As to the Ally getting the bonuses for the Shaman's totem:

The Totem chooses the shaman, not the other way around. One of the powers the totem chooses to give is the ability to cast certain spells better than others. (hence, the totem can choose to take this away if the shaman displeases it) A shaman can't confer this upon another being, the Totem has to.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 9 2005, 05:29 AM
Post #11

Immoral Elf

Yes, but the Ally is technically a part of the Shaman himself, and his actual Magic. That is why I asked.

I am enjoying reading the responses so far, and look forward to more opinions on the matter.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Mar 9 2005, 07:22 AM
Post #12

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

I'm with FrostyNSO on this one. Ally is not called by the Totem. Ally doesn't get Totem advantages / disadvantages. Just my 2 nuyen.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 9 2005, 07:35 AM
Post #13

Immoral Elf

I'm not necessarily disagreeing. I just think both sides of the argument are pretty much equally valid.

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Mar 9 2005, 07:53 AM
Post #14

Mr. Quote-function

Member No.: 1,376

QUOTE (Fortune)
I'm not necessarily disagreeing. I just think both sides of the argument are pretty much equally valid.

And I wouldn't agree ... :)

1. Totem bonuses would be something like bonus dice based on their natural plane (in your example raccon's plane), but ally spirits explicitly don't get that although the conjuring shaman can chose the spirit's home plane freely (p. 108 MitS, Native Planes of Allies)

2. Even if you don't consider totemic bonuses as described under point 1, for something as important as bonus dice on spell casting for allies, IMHO you'd need an explicit rule that specifies something like that.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 9 2005, 07:57 AM
Post #15

Mr. Johnson

Here's another thing: Does an ally also get any appropriate specializations of Sorcery when you create one? My thought is yes, but it's never really come up before, and nothing is specifically stated in the rules, just "An ally has the Sorcery Skill at a rating equal to its creature's Sorcery at the time of the spirit's creation"

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 9 2005, 08:42 AM
Post #16

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Cochise @ Mar 9 2005, 06:53 PM)
And I wouldn't agree ...

The opposite point being that the Ally is typically created with the invested Magic Point of the Caster himself. I also recall reading that over time, they develop a personality and outlook similar to their summoner.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 9 2005, 08:44 AM
Post #17

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Does an ally also get any appropriate specializations of Sorcery when you create one?

I've always ruled that they get the exact same level of the Sorcery Skill as their summoner, which includes any and all specializations. After all, specializations are considered to be part and parcel of their associated skill.

+Quote Post
torzzzzz
post Mar 9 2005, 08:48 AM
Post #18

It's for winners

Member No.: 7,067

QUOTE (Fortune)
When a Shaman summons an Ally Spirit, then teaches it spells, would the Ally have the sam modifiers to specific spell categories as the Shaman?

If, for instance. a Raccoon Shaman were to teach his Ally a Combat spell, would it have 1 less dice to use when it cast that spell? Would that same Ally get bonus dice for Manipulation spells?

We always played it that the spirit has the same power as the force of the summon, i know this has already been saud but i would love to know if others play it differently?

torz x :P

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 9 2005, 08:48 AM
Post #19

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

QUOTE (Fortune)
The opposite point being that the Ally is typically created with the invested Maigc Point of the Caster himself. I also recall reading that over time, they develop a personality and outlook similar to their summoner.

If that's so, then why is the section on allies filled with warnings about how the ally is constantly trying to free itself from its master? From the text you'd think that allies spent all their time plotting how to get the heck away from the mage that conjured them, not that they'd have similar personalities. The flavor text is one of the main reasons I'd be loathe to ever conjure one up in the first place; that's a whole heap of Karma for the GM to suddenly decide to screw you out of.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 9 2005, 08:49 AM
Post #20

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (torzzzzz)
We always played it that the spirit has the same power as the force of the summon, i know this has already been saud but i would love to know if others play it differently?

Ally Spirits are different from regular Nature spirits. You might want to read the relevant sections out of Magic in the Shadows.

+Quote Post
torzzzzz
post Mar 9 2005, 08:52 AM
Post #21

It's for winners

Member No.: 7,067

QUOTE (hahnsoo)
QUOTE (torzzzzz @ Mar 9 2005, 03:48 AM)

Ally Spirits are different from regular Nature spirits. You might want to read the relevant sections out of Magic in the Shadows.

aah, don't have my mits with me at the moment, comment on the hock, I know should not open mouth before checked comment out! :P ;)

torz x

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Mar 9 2005, 01:23 PM
Post #22

Free Spirit

Member No.: 1,920

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
If that's so, then why is the section on allies filled with warnings about how the ally is constantly trying to free itself from its master? From the text you'd think that allies spent all their time plotting how to get the heck away from the mage that conjured them, not that they'd have similar personalities. The flavor text is one of the main reasons I'd be loathe to ever conjure one up in the first place; that's a whole heap of Karma for the GM to suddenly decide to screw you out of.

I was thinking you might be confusing allies with bound free spirits. I re-read the ally section, and the introduction does make it sound that way, if you overlook a sentence here and there. Basically the intro is saying that they pretty much follow the master without question. As they become more powerful, they may want independance.

Skip to the section about them having a chance to go free. There is a lot more information about how they may remain loyal, even if they could go free. They even have a nice example.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Mar 9 2005, 01:59 PM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

What it boils down to is, how do you treat your ally? treat it like a slave, it'll screw you over at the first opportunity. Treat it like a friend and partner, it's unlikely to want to leave. I know my ally spirit ditched two chances to go free in favour of saving my sorry hind end.

+Quote Post
Prospero
post Mar 9 2005, 05:32 PM
Post #24

Illuminate of the New Dawn

Member No.: 4,700

Definatly - just look at the exchange: do you give the ally more karma than it could get on its own and generally not torture it and make it do menial tasks? If they answer if yes, it isn't going anywhere. If you make it hurt too much or make it do stupid stuff like always getting you beers or something, it might get tired of it after a while. That's my take, anyway.

+Quote Post
wagnern
post Mar 9 2005, 06:24 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,146

if you wanted the ally to have your shamanic bonises and penaltys, you could ask your GM if you can play it as the Totem sent the Ally to you. (you would still have to pay the Karma exc.) Any minor advantages could be ballanced by the fact that treating the ally poorly would be taken personaly by the Totem (He did send it after all.) Any casting / materals / downtime involved in normaly aquiring an ally could be justifyed by some spirit quest (the shawman receaves a vision full of metaphore and stuff and must figure out what his totem is trying to say.

Mostly, if giving the ally the same flavor as the shawman would be good for the game and add some interesting feel to it, then go for it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:50 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.