IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Occupational Hazzards, part 2, a funny thing happened at work today...
Dog
post Mar 9 2005, 12:14 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,025

How much of your workplace, or area of study (if you're a student) shows up in your game? This may be an obvious question to you army guys, but is there a zookeeper who likes to make up funky critters or a maintenance guy who knows if you really can sneak down ventilation shafts or something?

Oh, and if you are neither employed nor a student....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Mar 9 2005, 12:20 AM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

Well, somewhat often as I work for a bank. It kind of sucks, as I get to see how pathetic bank security really is.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Mar 9 2005, 12:26 AM
Post #3

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

Funny, same thing here Tarantula

+Quote Post
Mortax
post Mar 9 2005, 12:43 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,950

We throw in elements from our school every now and then, just for kicks. Usually when it involves MIT&T or something. I also live in an area with a lot of old steel mills. Great places to give me ideas for corp facilities for runners to break into.

+Quote Post
Catsnightmare
post Mar 9 2005, 12:58 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 90

LOL, this gives me ideas.
Having the runners break into the dept store at night trying to steal the latest hot market toy, the Tickle-Me Dunky doll, only to have to wait, holding the overnight crew hostage, and keep the whole thing on the low, while they unload the 3,000+ piece shipment to get to the Dunky's all the way at the back of the truck.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Mar 9 2005, 01:02 AM
Post #6

Resident Legionnaire

Member No.: 6,550

Heh, my wife worked for a bank. I hear all about it :(

Hell, my workplace and "area of study" used to come into just about every run we did. Eventually I got tired of doing it at work and at home, so now our runs favor topics that I am blissfully ignorant of...

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Mar 9 2005, 02:49 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

Never. I haven't found an "in" for graphic design or illustration yet. :)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 9 2005, 04:39 AM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

All the time. Doing markups on hospital blueprints just lends itself to the game, you know?

~J

+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 9 2005, 04:42 AM
Post #9

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

I was a civil engineer by training. So having scores and scores of floorplans are no problem for me.

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Mar 9 2005, 04:59 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

One of these days, I'm going to send a group of PCs to retrieve something from the 963 raised floor at IBM's BTV site...

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Mar 9 2005, 04:56 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

I work in a bio reasearch lab - definitely useful for certain kinds of runs, even if the reality isn't very cinematic...

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Mar 9 2005, 05:40 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,323

You know, I think working at any job lets you see just how weak security is. As a theatrical technician, I've walked through so many security checkpoints at big concerts without having to actually prove who I am, just by saying the name of the Union. Heck, I remember having one gig where the security was tight, so they searched everyone's bags. They searched my toolbag, which was fully of knives, saws, hammers, and every other close combat thing you could imagine smuggling in, and let me go by... I had to wonder what they were searching for!

JaronK

+Quote Post
Prospero
post Mar 9 2005, 05:36 AM
Post #13

Illuminate of the New Dawn

Member No.: 4,700

Not directly - I'm an ESL teacher - but I really bring in the linguistics stuff for all those language skills. People who want to (for example) default to Chinese from Japanese get a raised eyebrow and no chance at all. Plus I get to contemplate just how likely it would be to bring back a near-dead language like Sperethiel or Irish-Sperethiel, as well as all those NAN langs that are suddenly a lot bigger in the statistics.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 9 2005, 05:37 AM
Post #14

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (JaronK)
I had to wonder what they were searching for!

Drugs, and to a lesser extent, booze. :D

+Quote Post
Necro Tech
post Mar 9 2005, 06:37 AM
Post #15

UMS O.G.

Member No.: 6,335

As I'm a locksmith I know how bad everyone's security is and the ways around it. Conversly, I've seen high end security that is terrifying to think about.

Step 1. Burglar sets off alarm.

Step 2. Building locks down.

Step 3. Heavy equipment is brought in to cut hole in door so building can be brought out of lockdown. No I'm not kidding.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Mar 9 2005, 06:52 AM
Post #16

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE (Necro Tech)
As I'm a locksmith I know how bad everyone's security is and the ways around it. Conversly, I've seen high end security that is terrifying to think about.

Step 1. Burglar sets off alarm.

Step 2. Building locks down.

Step 3. Heavy equipment is brought in to cut hole in door so building can be brought out of lockdown. No I'm not kidding.

If the banks security is activated, and a vault alarm goes, thats what the vault does.

+Quote Post
Necro Tech
post Mar 9 2005, 07:05 AM
Post #17

UMS O.G.

There are whole building wings like that. You call in the professionals and they cut their way in. When you have millions of dollars in data and research a few grand for a door is chump change.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Mar 9 2005, 07:13 AM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

How dose that interact with fire codes.

I was under the impression that in the event of a fire it was required that people be able to get out. In witch case you could get out of a locked down building by setting of eth fire alarm, even if you have to light a small fire to do it.

Edward

+Quote Post
Bastard
post Mar 9 2005, 07:44 AM
Post #19

Grand Nagus

Member No.: 6,518

I have worked at a few hospitals, right now I am working in a lab. It seems like a nice place to have runners go, because:

1)They smell...+1 target modifier or more in certain areas :D

2)They are built like mazes, and in a fire fight, runners tend to forget where they are heading

3)There are a lot of hazards, that most runners dont think of, like battles in the lab (AIDS or HMHVV blood to be spilled), sharps containers, TB and other airborne yummies, plus its fun to have players slip and catch chlamydia (jk-im not that mean)

4)Lots of bystanders, including ambulatory patients and old people using walkers in the hall ways. This leads to entertaining exchanges, either as the runners try to protect the patients, or dont give a shit and start lobbing grenades.

+Quote Post
Necro Tech
post Mar 9 2005, 07:59 AM
Post #20

UMS O.G.

QUOTE (Edward)
How dose that interact with fire codes.

I was under the impression that in the event of a fire it was required that people be able to get out. In witch case you could get out of a locked down building by setting of eth fire alarm, even if you have to light a small fire to do it.

Edward

You get special permission to have fail-secure hardware for sensitive areas. Also, most situations arise after a place is closed and there is no one on site. Ideal for most runners but that means a crap ton of extra security.

+Quote Post
torzzzzz
post Mar 9 2005, 09:00 AM
Post #21

It's for winners

Member No.: 7,067

Anything biological or chemical based the nasty the better, if i had my way i would have nasty viruses everywhere!

torz x 8)

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Mar 9 2005, 12:45 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

Only once, and then only for harrassment purposes. I used to work in insurance (FREE! FREE AT LAST! HAHAHAHA!) and I used a screwed up case to add to the rigger's stress load :)

Although, house insurance is pretty educational in terms of the stupidity of human beings in general and the protection of their property in specific.

+Quote Post
Spetulhu
post Mar 9 2005, 01:11 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 7,122

QUOTE (Necro Tech @ Mar 9 2005, 08:37 AM)

On the other hand, you also get to see how incompetent most small-time criminals really are. The professionals that could open a big safe are few and far between, but there's always someone willing to try. It's a bit sad when they have to run away with nothing to show after going at a safe with regular power tools for an hour. ;)

+Quote Post
Smed
post Mar 9 2005, 01:33 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 241

I'm an engineer who designs RF equipment. I had to look into RFID technology a while back and it gave me some great ideas.

RFID is a technology that runners fear in my games. Even with today's technology you can insert a small RFID transmitter right into the plastic housiong of something as its being injection molded, making it difficult to detect as its built directly into the plastic with no exposed parts. Without destroying the housing completely you can't find it with a visual inspection. Detecting the metal its made of is difficult as the rest of the device usually has other electronics in it that have larger masses of metal than the RFID transceiver.

You could conceivably make a scanner to detect it when its transmitting, but if the RFID transceiver is coded only to transmit when it gets the right coded signal, detecting it with a scanner wouldn't work unless the scanner put out the correct coded signal at the correct frequency, or the scanner happened to be on when the thing transmitted. The technology makes tracing goods much easier.

+Quote Post
torzzzzz
post Mar 9 2005, 01:30 PM
Post #25

It's for winners

Member No.: 7,067

QUOTE (Smed)
I'm an engineer who designs RF equipment. I had to look into RFID technology a while back and it gave me some great ideas.

RFID is a technology that runners fear in my games. Even with today's technology you can insert a small RFID transmitter right into the plastic housiong of something as its being injection molded, making it difficult to detect as its built directly into the plastic with no exposed parts. Without destroying the housing completely you can't find it with a visual inspection. Detecting the metal its made of is difficult as the rest of the device usually has other electronics in it that have larger masses of metal than the RFID transceiver.

You could conceivably make a scanner to detect it when its transmitting, but if the RFID transceiver is coded only to transmit when it gets the right coded signal, detecting it with a scanner wouldn't work unless the scanner put out the correct coded signal at the correct frequency, or the scanner happened to be on when the thing transmitted. The technology makes tracing goods much easier.

Cool, that would be a bit like the identachip but more specific?

torz x

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:15 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.