Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Deckers and Otaku, or lack there of
fistandantilus4....
post Mar 11 2005, 05:46 AM
Post #1

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

Maybe it's just my imagination, but I'm noticing a pretty big lack of anything concerning the matrix on the threads here. Just happened to notice it the other night.
I know a lot of people complain that a lot of the newer books (206x) are concentrating on magic, at the exclusion of other topics (sammies, riggers, deckers). But I kind of see that here too.
Basically just wondering if anyone is really still playing deckers/otaku. I know they've lost a lot of importance with the security change over to rigged security, plus they're not very popular with a lot of people because of the complexity of decking. I like it because of that, but whatever.

Anyways, guess I'm just wondering what everyone here thinks about where decking is going right now. I know it's still showing up plenty in the core books (brainscan, threats2, everything Deus basically), but don't see much of it here.

It seems they're trying to do more with it (WMI for example). Does anyone else see a trend of a lack of deckers in their game? is it just me?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 11 2005, 05:41 AM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

I've moved towards Riggers myself, but they typically deck and decking is my true calling. Riggers just have more versatility.

~J

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Mar 11 2005, 05:48 AM
Post #3

Uncle Fisty

TH'ats what I've done too. All my deckers are riggers as well. Or rig/deck. Whatever. Maybe because it's just so easy to be a decker (just one core skill). Are they less useful as just deckers to you, say, as opposed to 2nd edition?

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 11 2005, 05:57 AM
Post #4

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

I think everyone needs a breather after all the stuff thrown around about the otaku in general and SCIRE in particular. There are still threats dealing with the fallout of that event. Personally, I'd like to see some development along the lines of the Sim-Vironment and the WMI. Imagine black ice designed to kill you in the real world using a WMI connection and Simvironment (probably not going to be common place, but would be a good "closed room" murder mystery run).

Sim-Vironment is very similar to a concept in Cybergeneration that I was quite fond of. Not sure if it will work in Shadowrun, but it could have some interesting "wrinkles" for your average B&E datasteal: A person tries to sneak into an office and access some files, only to find an empty room with some trodes. He figures out "Hey, the dude has a Sim-Vironment desk" and puts on the trodes. A decker is standing there waiting, grinning, a Killjoy cartoon hammer in his hand...

I personally love playing deckers... about half my characters were competent deckers, if not exclusively a decker. Every time I play a non-decker, I itch to put a datajack into the head of my poor character and try to build up a computer skill (I'm resisting it at the moment with my home group... "I vill be stronk!").

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 11 2005, 06:10 AM
Post #5

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
TH'ats what I've done too. All my deckers are riggers as well. Or rig/deck. Whatever. Maybe because it's just so easy to be a decker (just one core skill). Are they less useful as just deckers to you, say, as opposed to 2nd edition?

Indeed. Computers 6 is also extremely useful to Riggers for preprogrammed drone commands. That, and satellite dishes on vans are love.

WMI needs to die, but I've already said my piece on that.

~J

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 11 2005, 06:27 AM
Post #6

Mr. Johnson

I personally think the WMI will allow decker characters to be uber-menaces again. They're already pretty good at hacking into existing wireless connections on home networks (just strap on a cellular tap, and deck right into someone's cookie information, from the next apartment over... instant dossier, and possibly password information as well). But being able to tap into someone's pocket secretary because they are lazy and don't turn off their connection... it will be a free world of paydata all over again. It's not going to replace hardlines or existing grids, not by any extent of the imagination (simply not secure enough), but it will be another way for deckers to exploit the computer-illiterate masses. And it's not related to all the wonky otaku/AI crap that has been the central focus of the Matrix lately.

Heck, most of the issues that are relevant to the WMI are happening right now, today, in the modern world. It's a timely subject to bring into the game, I think.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Mar 11 2005, 06:41 AM
Post #7

Uncle Fisty

I've noticed that too, that it isn't overly powerful, but more of an update.
Originally when SR was made, everything was land line, because cellphones were D&D's only. That's certainly changed, so now the 2064 world has to upgrade too.
Besides, didn't it say it was on average onlt around 300 I/O is SoE?
I think it kind of makes up for the security rigger change over. Gives you a reason to deck again!
Just my opinion though.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 11 2005, 06:34 AM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Not overly powerful?!? It's supposed to equal high-speed hardwired access!

~J

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Mar 11 2005, 06:44 AM
Post #9

Uncle Fisty

So how is that different from a portable temp sat link?

Sorry, not trying to hash out an arguement you've already been through. just working out some of the kinks w. deckers in my head.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 11 2005, 07:04 AM
Post #10

Manus Celer Dei

1) Nontrivial TNs to connect to the satellite network unless you have a fixed dish.

2) Halving of Matrix Reaction.

3) Requires a large dish even at the smallest portable size.

~J

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Mar 11 2005, 07:08 AM
Post #11

Uncle Fisty

Dish doesn't have to be that large. And there is the security tally, although most of the sats are pretty easy to hack (a lot easier than they should be IMO). But I'd forgotten about the halving response lag. Good point.

Now deckers can hack rigged security,
albeit at a big disadvantage. With an encephalon (limited multi-tasking) and a VCR, would there be anyway to take out a sec rigger (say, two datajacks), and still hack the system with a deck while maintaining control of the system?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 11 2005, 07:15 AM
Post #12

Manus Celer Dei

Yikes! I got my rules confused. Satellite is only -2 to Matrix Reaction. Still significant, but not nearly so bad.

IIRC, the smallest portable dish is about a meter across when set up, which is nontrivial.

~J

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 11 2005, 07:25 AM
Post #13

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Mar 11 2005, 02:15 AM)
Yikes! I got my rules confused. Satellite is only -2 to Matrix Reaction. Still significant, but not nearly so bad.

IIRC, the smallest portable dish is about a meter across when set up, which is nontrivial.

~J

It's actually half a meter across, according to the Cannon Companion p 55. Standard dishes are half a meter across, large dishes are 1 meter across, and fixed-base stations are 2 meters across. The setup/tear down temporary dishes aren't listed as any size at all (the one with spray foam and webbing). Half a meter is still non-trivial, but maybe a little less so (it's not almost as big as a dwarf, in other words. :) ). About the size of a computer flatscreen monitor, probably. They don't say any bonus or penalty for using a larger/smaller dish... anyone know where those rules are at?

+Quote Post
Necro Tech
post Mar 11 2005, 07:34 AM
Post #14

UMS O.G.

Member No.: 6,335

Matrix pg.35

Bigger dishes are much easier to connect with.

Statistically its almost impossible for a decker to beat a sec rigger on a ccss network but he can tie them up practically forever with a trauma dampner and a decent karma pool. The rigger can do nothing else while fighting, like his job, allowing the team those precious moments to wreak havoc or run like hell.

Played the same decker for about 2 years and still the most usefull member in the party.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Mar 11 2005, 07:43 AM
Post #15

Uncle Fisty

I think dish size just makes it easier to link up.

Now w/ a satellite link, it's also very difficult to trace the user. I'd imagine it would be easier with the cell link, since we can nowadays find a person to within 1 meter. Nice little balance there. Maybe a little faster (as in no lag, although slower I/O), but they can TRACE YOU! RUN AWAY!

Speaking of which, wonder how it works in a moving vehicle?

+Quote Post
Necro Tech
post Mar 11 2005, 07:45 AM
Post #16

UMS O.G.

It is impossible to trace someone through a satellite. The trace programs auto fail.

The only one who can trace a cell link is the company. Matrix Pg.117. Trace programs can't do this.

The flip side is to use a cell link you have to hack the provider which is usually red through a slow connection that is susceptible to jamming and signal loss. Its rarely worth it.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Mar 11 2005, 07:58 AM
Post #17

Uncle Fisty

So you lose total anonymity for partial, and pci kup some of that lag time, lsoe a bit of I/O. Not a bad trade.

At least there are some people out there that still care about deckers.

Getting schooled on some magic basics on another thread right now too. Apparetnly not a good night for me.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 11 2005, 08:04 AM
Post #18

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (Necro Tech)
It is impossible to trace someone through a satellite. The trace programs auto fail.

They don't get your physical location, but all the other effects of a successful trace still apply.
Matrix p 34-35:
While trace programs can locate the satellite to which a character is linked, they cannot pinpoint the user’s physical location, making physical response to the Matrix intrusion impossible. The effects of a successful trace apply (see p. 104).

The two effects that are relevant are IC Targeting (they get a -1 to target number) and Tally Acceleration (add +1 to ALL security tally increases).

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 11 2005, 07:56 AM
Post #19

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (Necro Tech)

False. They trace you just fine. They just can't get past the satellite cluster you used to access.

~J

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Mar 11 2005, 08:08 AM
Post #20

Uncle Fisty

So what's the point of the triangulate utility?

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 11 2005, 08:01 AM
Post #21

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
So what's the point of the triangulate utility?

Finding a cellphone in a crowd, mostly.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Mar 11 2005, 08:03 AM
Post #22

Uncle Fisty

That's it. I quit. Going back to read the books again.

Done in by my own sig

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 11 2005, 08:08 AM
Post #23

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Mar 11 2005, 02:58 AM)
Getting schooled on some magic basics on another thread right now too. Apparetnly not a good night for me.

Cheer up. We all have those days (or nights, as the case may be). Some people have GMs who plays loose and fast with the rules without establishing clear house rules, so for those folks it can get pretty chaotic. I wouldn't let a couple of unclear details deter your enjoyment of the game.

+Quote Post
Necro Tech
post Mar 11 2005, 08:18 AM
Post #24

UMS O.G.

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Necro Tech @ Mar 11 2005, 02:45 AM)

False. They trace you just fine. They just can't get past the satellite cluster you used to access.

~J

Unless you live on the satellite, that isn't you. As that is the number one concern of any decker being traced, that can't trace YOU. In comparison to gunners tracking your meat, the penalties for a successful trace are trivial.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 11 2005, 08:22 AM
Post #25

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (Necro Tech)
In comparison to gunners tracking your meat, the penalties for a successful trace are trivial.

I wouldn't say trivial. The Tally Acceleration REALLY puts a crimp on your timeline as far as doing what you need to do. It pretty much ensures that you need to get out of there ASAP, before a passive alert is triggered.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:52 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.