Reply to this topicStart new topic
> More sneaky sneaky, stealth suits, what a pain in the hoop
fistandantilus4....
post Mar 13 2005, 10:17 AM
Post #1

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

Have a player that put together one dandy of a suit.

Ruthenium of course, w/ 12 cameras. As already discussed, limited to modifier to a +8

Thermal dampening. Goes up to +8 agaisnt thermographic and sensors. Of course, it's at +8.

Ultrasound emmiter/detector 10

some back up batteries.

Of course, he's a silent way adept.
Traceless walk:+4 stealth

There are the usuals of course to spot him. Shadows, no foot prints though, flour/paint/whatever splattered on the suit.

Basically, question is, does this all work. Thermal on the inside of the suit, Ruthenium on the ouside. Ultrasound emitters to fool ultra sound. About the only thing that sees him is astral.

Any reason this shouldn't work? Limits to armor modification? getting really hot in the suit? Thankfully his batteries run down eventually!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 13 2005, 10:24 AM
Post #2

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,014

The Ultrasound emitter/detector simply doesn't work for the purposes of not being seen. You can jam and disrupt ultrasound, but this is the brute force method and will ruin your stealth in the face of ultrasound sensors; they will know something is there, just not exactly what or who due to the profile disruption of the emitter.

Thermal dampening is limited up to the maximum ballistic/impact rating of the suit of armor. If it's just clothing, then you get a maximum of two points of "armor" options, per Cannon Companion page 52. I suppose you can get a ruthenium ghillie suit or poncho to overlay your thermal dampened armor, but you would be suffering the usual armor stacking penalties.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Mar 13 2005, 10:37 AM
Post #3

Uncle Fisty

hiw quickness is 8, and he made the suit from sec armor (I think light though, so that's a few points off). At least he doesn't have to worry about being seen in sec armor though!

I wasn't aware that Ultrasound emitters were basically the equivelant of a maglock key (as in frying the lock pretty well).

Needless to say it's a higher karma game, and it cost him an absolute ton of nuyen.

So for the ultrasound, what does it show? static?
If that's the case, why even bother? Why make something to bypass an alarm, only to have it completely obvious? or is that jsut the case with something like an U.S. camera?

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 13 2005, 10:45 AM
Post #4

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Mar 13 2005, 05:37 AM)
I wasn't aware that Ultrasound emitters were basically the equivelant of a maglock key (as in frying the lock pretty well).

Needless to say it's a higher karma game, and it cost him an absolute ton of nuyen.

So for the ultrasound, what does it show? static?
If that's the case, why even bother? Why make something to bypass an alarm, only to have it completely obvious? or is that jsut the case with something like an U.S. camera?

They don't "fry the lock", per se. They're just not an effective solution to bypass Ultrasound for the purposes of sneaking around. If you want to prevent folks from using Ultrasound to get better TN modifiers for ranged attacks, it's a good idea. IMHO, I think the camera would see a point of disrupted static, perhaps a "reflection" area rather than the shadow that is supposed to be there.

Also, remember that according to the rules, thermographic, vehicular sensors, and ultrasound only halve the modifier for visual perception for ruthenium polymers, which means you'd really only need 6 points of Thermal dampening to get that +12 (the base +12 halved equals +6).

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Mar 13 2005, 10:54 AM
Post #5

Uncle Fisty

Too bad, I was hoping to know off a few points. THanks for the clarification though.

My understanding of the U.S. emitters is that it makes the sensor see nothing

pg. 293 SR3

"This device detects and analyzes the ultrasonic field produced by certain motion sensors.It can also attempt to spoof the sensor into thinking that nothing is moving through it's field."

Goes on to give the rules for the opposed rolls and the movement rate.

Now is that basically saying that it only really works on motion sensors, but to say ultrasound goggles, the effect would be obvious, like a large static field?

So really the only effective defense against ultrasound goggles would be the silence spell (as discussed).

of course that only reduces the target numbers from sight by half (+4) in this case. STill makes dodging pretty easy.

Were there ever any clear answers on spotting someone with ruthenium in combat? I always saw it more like the predator or Grey fox in MGS. You could see them, but it was hard to pin down. Say a +4? Much like the ultrasound only having a set rate of movement depending on how strong the "spoof" is.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 13 2005, 11:27 AM
Post #6

Mr. Johnson

From the text, it looks like it works against Ultrasound motion sensors specifically and even then, only if you are moving very slowly. This is confirmed in SOTA:2063 as well (which shows how to beat them without using an Ultrasound emiter/detector). The detector will also detect if someone is using an ultrasound sight, but I don't think the device works against ultrasound sight systems. On an interesting note, SOTA:2063 makes mention of thermal motion sensors, but I don't see any rules for them anywhere.

As far as ruthenium in combat, a lot of groups do this in different ways. Some force the +8 Blind Fire mod even when the sneak is detected, some give the +2 modifier for having camouflage vs. ranged attacks, some don't apply any visual mods at all if the sneak is detected. Others go by the modifiers shown in the Camo spell (+4 vs. ranged attacks). It's up to you, really, unless someone can post where it says the exact TN visibility modifier for a ruthenium polymer suit.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 13 2005, 12:43 PM
Post #7

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

There is no such effect. According to all of the text, an ultrasound emitter will spoof ultrasound perfectly with the proper roll.

Strictly speaking, ruthenium provides mods only to the Perception test. While the camo bonus for someone moving slowly enough would be fair, by canon someone who has been spotted has no additional mod against them.

~J

+Quote Post
Edward
post Mar 13 2005, 02:08 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,587

I would say that a US emitter works differently on motion detectors and ultrasound imaging systems.

It works against motion detectors as described in its section.

Against imaging system it has the same effect as a white noise generator is described as doing in the section on ultrasound vision.

Edward

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Mar 13 2005, 02:32 PM
Post #9

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

a US motion detector works by scaning a area over and over, if a element of the echo seems to move more then x amount in a given time unit then the alarm goes of. the trick here is that its a dumb device, if you can return the same signal that it sends out then it see nothing at all and the alarm does not go of.

but someone useing a US sight or googles will start to wonder whats wrong when he gets a flat image all of a sudden. he may relate it to faulty equipment but he may allso theorize that there is someone out there thats jamming his equipment. this is even more likely if he have a backup device and it to shows the same problem. two devices failing at the same time? can happen but very unlikely.

+Quote Post
Endgame50
post Mar 13 2005, 03:41 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,496

I think thermal dampening becomes ineffective if you wear the armor too long. As long as he puts it on just before he sneaks, it's fine, but if he's wearing it all day, the body heat is going to warm it up.

Also, magicians / physads with astral perception can see through it, but it's not a device that can be used overly much without straining credibility.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 13 2005, 03:48 PM
Post #11

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
hiw quickness is 8, and he made the suit from sec armor (I think light though, so that's a few points off). At least he doesn't have to worry about being seen in sec armor though!

Jesus, and he managed to hit the 24 Availability check to find something like that? Lucky bastard.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Mar 13 2005, 06:16 PM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

I managed a version once that was starting character available and gave +8 to perception checks by any meta human.

8 sensor ruthenium.
Thermal dampening 4
Ultrasound emitter detector 4

If you have only normal or lowlight vision it is ruthenium +8
If you also have thermographic its ½ ruthenium and thermal 8/2+4=8
If you also have ultrasound halve penalties and ad white noise rating 8/2+4=8

Of cause with the last you know your being jammed.

Edward

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 13 2005, 09:54 PM
Post #13

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Jesus, and he managed to hit the 24 Availability check to find something like that? Lucky bastard.

If you throw enough money at anything, then it becomes available. What is it, 2 days and plus 0.1 Street index for every point of Availability you shave off?

+Quote Post
The Grifter
post Mar 14 2005, 01:37 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,918

A Silent way Adept in fraggin' security armor. What's next?

+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 14 2005, 01:46 AM
Post #15

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Rigger in his Stealth Tank.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Mar 14 2005, 04:51 AM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (toturi)

You don’t want to get me started building a stealth tank, you wouldn’t like it.

Edward

+Quote Post
Rieal82
post Mar 14 2005, 05:09 AM
Post #17

Target

From: charlotte maga sprawl in the confederated american states AKA hell
Member No.: 7,018

QUOTE (Edward)
QUOTE (toturi @ Mar 14 2005, 09:46 AM)

You don’t want to get me started building a stealth tank, you wouldn’t like it.

Edward

:D SHOW ME THE TANK!!

+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 14 2005, 05:20 AM
Post #18

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Wouldn't be any worse that the Stealth Submarine Aircraft Carrier with its own Free Great Form Spirit.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Mar 14 2005, 06:34 AM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

I don’t hav time to do a full write up but hear is how it goes

Start by building a RV that runes of an electric fuel cell
Give it max starting CF, load, signature improvement and a few items to make it a consumer RV any character could buy
Improved suspension 2
Of road suspension 1
Dual purpose run flat tires
Rollbars
Spotlights

Then customise it (payingthe costs for after market customisations) with
Advanced drone pilot 3
Auto soft interpretation
Remote control interface
Rigger adoption
Rigger encryption 6
Improved security 6
Ruthenium paint job with max sensors
Sensors 5
ECM 4
ED 3
22 points of concealed vehicle armour
Drive by wire 2
And a popup small turret.

The biggest weapon you can put in it as a starting character is a LMG but that can latter be upgraded to a HMG, missile launcher or vindicator minigun during the game.

That is the best I can do limiting it to availability 8 and rigger 3 revised.

The price tag is somewhere in the order of 600k-700k.

You did ask.

Edward

+Quote Post
Edward
post Mar 14 2005, 06:45 AM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

if we are including magic I can have a shaman on its crew summon a force 6 city spirit to use its concealment power on the vehicle.

Edward

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Mar 15 2005, 04:20 AM
Post #21

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

and that, for some reason, makes all those neat tech gizmos useless ;)
hmm, i wonder if a great from sea spirit could be able to hide a carrier task force...

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Mar 15 2005, 04:30 AM
Post #22

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

Ruthenium paint job with max sensors
On an RV? do you have any clue how much that costs? Likely as much as the whole cost of the car you just estimated... and it cant move more than a few meters per turn or it's useless.

Go spirit.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Mar 15 2005, 05:16 AM
Post #23

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE (Edward)
I managed a version once that was starting character available and gave +8 to perception checks by any meta human.

8 sensor ruthenium.
Thermal dampening 4

Edward

The ultrasound emitter detector doesn't help you against ultrasound vision. Using it to try to avoid being detected "requires an Opposed Test between the motion sensor's Device Rating and the emitter's Device Rating." SR3 293. Ultrasound vision is not a motion sensor, and thusly, its complete GM fiat for it to work. At best, I'd give the ultrasound user a glare effect, as the person with the emitter is putting off more echo than normal.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Mar 15 2005, 11:28 AM
Post #24

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Tarantula)
QUOTE (Edward @ Mar 13 2005, 11:16 AM)

8 sensor ruthenium.
Thermal dampening 4

Edward

The ultrasound emitter detector doesn't help you against ultrasound vision. Using it to try to avoid being detected "requires an Opposed Test between the motion sensor's Device Rating and the emitter's Device Rating." SR3 293. Ultrasound vision is not a motion sensor, and thusly, its complete GM fiat for it to work. At best, I'd give the ultrasound user a glare effect, as the person with the emitter is putting off more echo than normal.

I had assumed that the ultrasound detector emitter would have an effect just like a white noise generator. If you disagree I will ad a white noise generator operating in the ultrasound range. Wired up to activate when the ultrasound detector detects somebody using ultrasound vision.

Edward

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Mar 15 2005, 01:41 PM
Post #25

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

The reason I say it wouldn't act as a white noise generator, is it is only producing ultra-sound, no others. Seeing as things that produce lots of light, or lots of heat are glare for the respective vision modes, something producing lots of ultrasound also serves to glare ultrasound users.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:39 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.