IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hacker vs Decker Terminology, Are we reading too much into it?
RunnerPaul
post Mar 16 2005, 07:55 PM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 364

One thing I've seen, people have latched onto the fact that the press release blurb uses the term hacker instead of decker, and run with it. I'm wondering if this might be premature. After all, that press release was most likely written for people who only have a passing familiarity with the Shadowrun setting.

I could understand if it was a concious choice to rename the archtype, to drive home the point that this isn't the old Matrix, but I would think it's too soon to tell if they've actually done that based on the info we have so far.

I'm taking a wait and see on this one.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Mar 16 2005, 07:53 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

Maybe they are just trying to intice people with Hacker, since Decker needs some inside explaination. The term "Hacker" markets itself.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Mar 16 2005, 08:24 PM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

Exactly my point. Hacker is a term that evokes a particular mental image in the general populace. Retail Store Owners, Distribution Warehouse Managers, and the general gaming public seem to be the target audience for the press release, and they're most likely not familiar with our jargon.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Mar 16 2005, 08:20 PM
Post #4

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

Obviously it's a marketing thing. That blurb is most likely what's going to be on the back cover of the book. So what's the point of writting "Decker" and "face"? People are gonna go "I can play a guy who's good at cards? And a face? A covert-ops guy maybe? I dunno"

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 16 2005, 08:24 PM
Post #5

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

No, see "decker" and "face" are both playing card terms. See, SR4 is ripping off Deadlands and the Hoyle method of demon-summoning/hexslinging, and these must be the class names. :D

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Mar 16 2005, 08:36 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 5,818

You know, we wouldn't be very good shadowrunners... I mean players... if we didn't read into the game too much.

+Quote Post
SuperSpy
post Mar 16 2005, 08:50 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 6,949

QUOTE (moosegod)
You know, we wouldn't be very good shadowrunners... I mean players... if we didn't read into the game too much.

The blurb != the game

+Quote Post
Kai
post Mar 16 2005, 10:41 PM
Post #8

Hacker For Hire

Member No.: 7,165

Besides, deckers are more analogous with crackers ;7

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Mar 16 2005, 11:14 PM
Post #9

Karma Police

Member No.: 6,505

Perhaps we are reading too much into it. But there´s also the statement from one of our resident freelancers that they will break down the wall between riggers and deckers. What would that do to the terms?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 16 2005, 11:08 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i have no problem with the term "deckers" being made obsolete. to be honest, i've always had to fight replacing it with "hackers" when i talk about them--not out of any real malice towards the word "decker", but because "hacker" seems more natural.

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Mar 16 2005, 11:11 PM
Post #11

Karma Police

Do you think these new techno wizards will be using decks? Can´t really call them deckers if they don´t use decks, can you? :)

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 16 2005, 11:18 PM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

i think they'll use decks, yeah. i think, however, that there will be only one type of deck--a multipurpose computer, basically, which you can upgrade with different modules. one module allows you to deck; another allows you to send commands to drones. a third module might allow you to manage communications. maybe other modules i haven't thought of.

or, the deck might come with all those abilities built-in, and you can upgrade them as desired. or... hell, i dunno what else.

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Mar 16 2005, 11:24 PM
Post #13

Karma Police

The cover art (if indeed it is the cover art) does not seem to have a deck in it. All the previous editions have had a deck somewere on the cover. Maybe its the little thing the dwarf is holding?

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Mar 16 2005, 11:36 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

I wonder how much Cyberware decks will have shrunk or become very commonplace. I'd guess since "wireless" seems to be the big push, that most devices like that would probably be implanted, and hopefully beta or delta is more common and affordable.

EDIT - If SR4 held to Moore's Law even remotely, then we'd see about a 2.5 times increase in MPCP capabilities for the same amount of physical space, so you could shrink and keep the same MPCP rating....more or less.

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Mar 17 2005, 01:06 AM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
No, see "decker" and "face" are both playing card terms. See, SR4 is ripping off Deadlands and the Hoyle method of demon-summoning/hexslinging, and these must be the class names. :D

Color me a huckster then! :D

:fun game:

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Mar 17 2005, 01:58 AM
Post #16

Guests

QUOTE (mintcar @ Mar 16 2005, 04:24 PM)
The cover art (if indeed it is the cover art) does not seem to have a deck in it. All the previous editions have had a deck somewere on the cover. Maybe its the little thing the dwarf is holding?

If it's anything like how I describe my comm gear in game, then the deck is in an armored backpack, the goggles are essentially "Gargoyle" goggles from Snow Crash with DNI, and the pad is the hub/wireless port to the electronic keypad the drawrf is blasting open.

But this is insane. I've been using tech like this for mundane tasks in-game for like a year. Nice to see SR catching up.

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post Mar 17 2005, 03:19 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,118

Characters in campaigns I've been involved with have been using cranial cyberdecks in PDA-sized cases, or distributed about worn equipment, rather than actual decks. They use the more expensive cranial-to-ultraportable for on-the-fly decking, and tend to have massively powerful breadboard-style decks as part of vehicles, sort of mobile command stations. It would be good if that's the real and true evolution of the rules, and not just a convenient method of making do with what's available, come Shadowrun 4th Edition. Miniaturization and the proliferation of wireless should result in an evolution of the cyberdeck to the eighth generation.

+Quote Post
Akai Sokata
post Mar 17 2005, 04:24 AM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 7,142

i have no problem with the term "deckers" being made obsolete. to be honest, i've always had to fight replacing it with "hackers" when i talk about them--not out of any real malice towards the word "decker", but because "hacker" seems more natural

I useally don't disagree to much with MFB to much. but this one hit me close to home. makeing decker obsolete makes no sense at all to me. hacker in 2060 would be a obsolete term it self. and nothing better desribes what us deck heads to best. we deck. hacker to me is a term for a dreky no good at his job decker. a hack. someone who does unessery damage and useally gets his deck(or his brain) fried. true deckers are not hacks at what the do, and they don't hack up a system if they dont have to. it just raises the security tally and crashes the system(in some cases isnt a bad thing...). To me hacker is a valgur term used for a crappy decker.

bottom line to this rant is
replaceing decker, a term for someone who uses a cyber deck to crack systems and steal the pay data, and all that happy sunshine bull drek. with hacker, out dated term for a tortouis useing dial up code breaker is a insult. In 2060 Deckers are the next evolution of those slow hoop hacks

:ic: / :ooc: Cause really this post is kinda both...my personal opion mixed with that of my char.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 17 2005, 04:55 AM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

eh, yeah. depends on your definition of "hacker". just to clarify, though, i'm not really rooting for "hacker" over the term "decker"--i'm fine with either one.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Mar 17 2005, 05:03 AM
Post #20

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Carzy Trixster.

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Mar 17 2005, 05:07 AM
Post #21

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

Quick bit of info. Originally a 'Hack' was something both subtle and effective. Originally from MIT oddly. A few years ago they built a campus securety car on the roof of a building. It has been called one of their better hacks. Even today, no one knows how they got it there, and where they stole the light bar it used.

+Quote Post
Sharaloth
post Mar 17 2005, 05:25 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,093

I like that multipurpose computer idea, mfb...
I'd see it as a cranial cyberdeck melded with the Vehicle Control Rig. Not really either, but akin to both. Maybe you could plug modules in like using a chipjack, or the basic interface for all of the systsems (com, deck, rig, etc) is the implant, and you can jack in a small computer that allows you to perform better on the specialized stuff. (I.E. jacking into a rigged car to access the rigger possibilities of the implant, jacking into a computer for the non-wireless portions of the decking side of the implant, or a com computer for the com side, etc, etc).

hmmm. It needs developing, but I think that sounds really cool.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Mar 17 2005, 03:31 PM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

Modularity makes the most sense, especially if the lines are going to be blurred. Heck the military has been doing it for years. A board fries, pull it, replace it, ship it back to HQ for refab or junking. Also, just think about how integrated TVs are becoming these days: monitor, ports for data chips (photo memory cards), etc..

+Quote Post
Penta
post Mar 17 2005, 04:29 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 500

Problem.

Decks...Cranial.

Really now, how many people are going to want to plug their brain straight into the electric socket?

That, to me, is why cranial cyberdecks never made sense. The only people who would use them are shadowrunners, for one. Two, most people, simply by having survived the age of 3, are going to be leery about plugging themselves into their computers directly. I mean, it's one of those things you learn: Not to put your finger, tongue, etc. into the electric socket. (Never mind that it took me a few times to figure it out at age 2, but anyway. :) )

You are now asking people to violate one of those fundamental rules of survival.

Whaa?

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Mar 17 2005, 04:50 PM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

QUOTE (Penta)
(Never mind that it took me a few times to figure it out at age 2, but anyway. :) )

You too. I still have the twitch...:)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:50 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.