Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's in the bag sir?
imperialus
post Mar 19 2005, 03:43 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 769

Now we all know about the traditional loadout for a given shadowrunner, assult rifle in the hand, SMG slung over the back, a pair of heavy pisols strapped to the legs, body armour, decks, fetishes up the ass ect ect but what about other gear that your characters carry to help them be more prepared for just about any given situation. Nothing more than couldn't be fit into a small rucksack or daypack or possibly even combat webbing depending on the character but the sort of stuff that you keep around so that when the GM says "ok what are you cutting the barbed wire fence with" you don't stare blankly for a moment before getting into a half hour long discussion over whether or not you can chew through it or the troll street sam can cut it with his claymore.

In my case I have a small rucksack containing
1 small flashlight with new batteries before each run
1 "pay as you go" cellphone with minutes.
1 leatherman multitool
1 small electronic toolkit with wirestrippers, cutters, soldering iron and current tester.
1 screwdriver with interchangeable bits (philips robinson ect)
1 roll ductape
2 pairs handcuffs
1 small spraybottle of bleach (spray any blood you leave behind and no more risk of ritual magic or DNA testing)
1 clean white t-shirt
3 stimpaches
3 trauma patches
1 pocket secratary (we houseruled the size of these things to make them the size of a modern PDA no more concelability 3 :wobble: )
1000 :nuyen: cash (no credstics, cold hard cash)
1 certified credstick worth at least 5000:nuyen:
1 locker key to a storage shed near the airport which contains among other things fake id's, extra guns, a buttload of cirtified credsticks, and everything else you would need to make a quick flight to a country without an extradition treaty.
6 meal replacement soybars
bottle of water
1 cheep fake sin card, just enough to check into a motel or rent a car.

That's about all I have, anyone else have any ideas for what could be added? What have you found useful or essential to everyday life as a runner. I've tried to keep from putting anything illigal in the bag so that it is something I can cart around on a day to day basis. I'd love to see what other people keep close handy by for their characters though even if it is illigal.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aqua
post Mar 19 2005, 04:19 AM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 7,187

A knife.... you ALWAYS want a knife-ALWAYSSSSSS!

One other thing is amazingly obvious and people don't seem to ever bring it.... plastic bags.

Need to pick up and carry a bunch of stuff? Need to cover up the body so it does not bleed all over your car? You ALWAYS need plastic bags... carry a bag of plastic bags.

+Quote Post
imperialus
post Mar 19 2005, 05:03 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Well the multitool has a knife in it, and a saw, and pliers and a rediculous assortment of other things. I also didn't include anything with a damage code though my char will amost always have a survival knife on him as well. The bags are a great idea though.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Mar 19 2005, 05:07 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

QUOTE (imperialus)
Now we all know about the traditional loadout for a given shadowrunner, assult rifle in the hand, SMG slung over the back, a pair of heavy pisols strapped to the legs, body armour, decks, fetishes up the ass

Whoah. Whoah whoah whoah. I don't know what you have planned for tonight, but count me out.

+Quote Post
imperialus
post Mar 19 2005, 05:18 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

:rotfl: I wondered when someone would notice that.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Mar 19 2005, 05:22 AM
Post #6

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

(we houseruled the size of these things to make them the size of a modern PDA no more concelability 3)

Very likely your house rule is now canon. Behold the Errata!
p. 287: Electronics Table [12]
The Concealability of the following items was changed: wrist-model cellphone (8), handset cellphone (10), earplug cellphone (12), pocket secretary (8), table top computer (4), pocket computer (8), wrist computer (6), printer (4), data display unit (6). The weights of the following items were also changed: telecom (5), handset cellphone (-), table top computer (3), printer (2), data display unit (1), headset unit (.5) and heads-up display (.5).

+Quote Post
Fresno Bob
post Mar 19 2005, 06:16 AM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,252

I would have pointed out the 'fetishes up the ass' part, but I didn't want to post without contributing anything.

Although that is a bit much weaponry to bring along on a job. Not to mention that carrying a duffel bag around isn't always going to be workable. What Runners need is Batman-style utility belts. With turn signals.

+Quote Post
Weredigo
post Mar 19 2005, 08:06 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,030

( Cracking Knucles ) Rope( at least a fifty feet or so) a Couple packs of smokes (even if you don't smoke good for bribing squatters for info) Peppermint Candies (great for sore throat or queezy tummy) Remi Oil, Whet Stone, Piece of Flint, a holy symbol of somekind (no atheists in foxholes), a small but EXPENSIVE bottle of wine (<shrug> never know when you'll have a reason to celebrate) toilet paper, bell (wrapped in cotton until you want to use it), Fishing Line (has many uses), Zippo Lighter (also many uses), spare socks, Towel. . . and just to go over the top for humor purposes. . . Boo Boo Piggy, Flare Gun, Slim Jim, Rubbers, Bottle of Rubbing alcohol/Hydrogen Peroxide/Salt, a copy of Robert Frost's Poetry, Colored Contacts, electric hair trimmer/shaver, Walkman with "Youth Gone Wild" "Magic Carpet Ride" "Sharp Dressed Man" "For those about to Rock" "Beer for my Horses" and "We Will Rock You ( with that prissy "we are the champions" part edited off )", Pictures of Pretty Women and Cute Kids ( won't really make that cover story of yours work any better but victims often grow uncaring and less nosy ), Tee Shirts that read "Hit Shappens" and "Poke Smot" (great for infiltrating college campuses and Frat/Sorority houses), Sockfull of Quarters, Sunglasses, Fiction novel, Lighter Fluid, Marbles (dikoted), and a foam rubber brick (will do absolutely positively no damage but there is slim chance it may frighten and distract just as well as a flash/bang/smoke grenade). And I can't find it now but I think my mind is down in there somewhere, but too tired to root around for it.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Mar 19 2005, 08:40 AM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (imperialus)
anyone else have any ideas for what could be added?

A towel.
A towel is about the most massively useful thing a shadowrunner can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold glaiciers of the Athabaskan Council Tribal Lands; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Caribbean League, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert sands of the Pueblo Corporate Council; use it to sail a miniraft down the Orinoco River when trying to infiltrate the Proteus Arcoblock; wet it for use in hand-to-hand combat; wrap it round your head to ward off Neuro-stun VIII or avoid the gaze of the Greater Western Dragon Traal (a mind-bogglingly stupid paracritter, as far as dragons go, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you - daft as a brush, but very very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough. More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a wageslave discovers that a runner has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a pocket secretary, credstick, APDS ammo, Panther Assault Cannon, ally spirit, GPS reciver, Fairlight Excalibur, ball of monowire, dikoted Ares Viper Slivergun, acid-resistant armored longcoat, Steel Lynx drone etc., etc. Furthermore, the wageslave will then happily lend the shadowrunner any of these or a dozen other items that the runner might accidentally have "lost". What the wageslave will think is that any man who can run the length and breadth of the shadows, go SINless, get screwed by their Mr. Johnson, struggle against terrible odds, win through and still know where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

(With apologies to the late Mr. Adams.)

+Quote Post
Weredigo
post Mar 19 2005, 08:54 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,030

Rock the Hell On, no apologies Necessary Chummer, I'm sure he approves of that rendition.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Mar 19 2005, 09:00 AM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Weredigo)
Towel. . .

Damn. Someone beat me to it.

+Quote Post
Fygg Nuuton
post Mar 19 2005, 12:42 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,989

mardi gras beads

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 19 2005, 01:21 PM
Post #13

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

Rucksack containing:
- 2 Traumapatches
- 2 Stimpatches
- Medkit Level 3
- 3 NutriSoy bars
- small army-issue water container (y'know, that little bottle thingy)
- 4 sets of plastic handcuffs
- one roll strong duct tape
- pair of socks (great for making gags)
- Swiss Army knife
- Farinella Electronics kit
- spray bottle of chemical cleaner
- fiberoptic ocular
- 2 cellphones (prepaid)
- 4 200-MP memory units (Memory sticks)
- large seasack (folded) for eventual loot
- Level 4 fake SIN
- 3 packs cigarettes (menthol)
- 3 packs of chewing gum

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Mar 19 2005, 01:40 PM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

In addition to the above...Backups of all utilities and blackmail data I have accumulated over the course of my life.

+Quote Post
imperialus
post Mar 19 2005, 05:09 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Voorhees)
Although that is a bit much weaponry to bring along on a job. Not to mention that carrying a duffel bag around isn't always going to be workable. What Runners need is Batman-style utility belts. With turn signals.

actually the beauty of a lot of these things is in my list at least the largest item is probably the toolkit, everything else can be fit into a bulky pair of cargo pants and some combat webbing. The biggest thing on Wierdego's list is the wine which would work ok if you got a small 500ml bottle or something and the rope which works well if coiled up and slung over a shoulder.

With some careful packing one could probably combine both lists into a small daypack, if that large.

+Quote Post
Club
post Mar 19 2005, 05:21 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,787

QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
In addition to the above...Backups of all utilities and blackmail data I have accumulated over the course of my life.

If you do haul blackmail with you, have the decker encrypt the hell out of it.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 19 2005, 06:34 PM
Post #17

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

Of course the only problem with all of this is that using canon weights any of the above lists would weigh more than 100 kilograms. And yes, I am including the list that consists only of a towel. :P

+Quote Post
Charon
post Mar 19 2005, 06:58 PM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 7,087

Anyone mention a maglock passkey? In low to moderate security environment, a simple passkey can go a long way when you have to improvise an infiltration.

Of course, it ain't exactly cheap.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Mar 19 2005, 07:41 PM
Post #19

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

And also buggers the doors royally so everyone and their brother knows they've been tampered with.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Mar 19 2005, 08:15 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (FlakJacket)
And also buggers the doors royally so everyone and their brother knows they've been tampered with.

But only when they try to open it.

Contrast with the alternative, the size 23 steel-toed troll boot, that lets everyone know a door's been tampered with, upon a the most casual of visual inspections.
("Hey, why's the doorjamb in splinters and the door hanging by only one hinge?")

+Quote Post
Charon
post Mar 19 2005, 08:53 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 7,087

Or the alternative of using your electronic kit to gut open the lock and play with the wire.

Beside, the flavor text only say that it "often leaves the lock scrambled and sluggish in response". If everyone and their brother conclude that there was an intrusion from that fact, I'm assuming everyone and their family are working security, hmmm?

The only way to bypass a maglock without leaving traces on the lock that I can see are to :

A : steal a legit pass, clone it and put it back un noticed
B : Decking.
C : Having someone else use his pass and enter behind him (You are invisible, you bribed him etc.)
D : You steal a pass and use it (as opposed to cloning it like in A).

Ideally, I recommend A or B. If you are going to do C or D, most of the time you might as well use a passkey. Comparable risk of discovery, less hassle and much less time consumming.

If you never found use for a magklock passkey just because it leaves evidence of intrusion behind, it's because your GM never put pressure on you. I can think of dozens of scenario where a passkey is invaluable. A or B are not always option.

+Quote Post
torzzzzz
post Mar 19 2005, 10:31 PM
Post #22

It's for winners

Member No.: 7,067

ID you can forget everything else, in my experience you are screwed without a good ID. All the kit in the world wont get ya ass out of the shit !

torz x :spin:

+Quote Post
Aes
post Mar 19 2005, 11:06 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,971

The standard loadout when not being gone for longer jaunts usually includes the following in a small military rucksack and/or a combat harness. (Yes, the character is a B&E type)

-Swiss Army knife/leatherman tool
-Small electronics toolkit
-Set of lockpicks
-Glasscutter
-Duct tape
-Plastic handcuffs
-Prepaid, disposable cellphones (Hard to trace, easy to distribute)
-Spray bottle w. bleach (For blood stains)
-Stim/Tranq/trauma patches
-Saviour Adv. Medkit (like normal medkits, only better)
-Certified credstick
-Paper money/Corp script
-Pack of cigs (One or more of them being plastic explosives wrapped in paper, another a wrapped detonator. Enough to take out a lightly reinforced door at least)
-Lighter (Expensive one you could rely on to keep a flame going in a stiff wind)
-Bottle of water
-Ration bars
-Chocolate bar (For bribing the street urchin or satisfying that 3AM craving)
-Pocket secretary
-Earplug cellphone/Micro transceiver w. encryption
-Pocket Flashlight w. spare batteries
-Fake ID/SINs as the situation warrants. Always at least one
-Some good, thick plastic bags of generic make
-Small pair of binoculars
-A length of rope
-Gecko gloves
-Rebreather
-Disposable chemseal suit in clear plastic (Yes, we have an evil GM)

Sometimes, a little is removed or added, depending on the situation. The only thing with a weight worth mentioning is the medkit. Everything else should fit nicely in a small rucksack or a combat harness and half a dozen pouches.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 19 2005, 11:22 PM
Post #24

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

QUOTE (Aes @ Mar 19 2005, 06:06 PM)
-Lighter (Expensive one you could rely on to keep a flame going in a stiff wind)

Sometimes, a little is removed or added, depending on the situation. The only thing with a weight worth mentioning is the medkit. Everything else should fit nicely in a small rucksack or a combat harness and half a dozen pouches.

Ooh, like those ones that have a blue flame and are actually mini acetylene torches? Those kick so much ass. :D

And you're forgetting that this is SR. Even the pocket secretary weighs over a pound (.5kg ~ 1.25 pounds). The water bottle would probably weigh 2kg per half liter, even though that's physically impossible. :P

+Quote Post
Bastard
post Mar 19 2005, 11:23 PM
Post #25

Grand Nagus

Member No.: 6,518

duct tape

its like the force: there is a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together, including my beat up Ford.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:58 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.