Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Info Brokers/fixers, Will they be playable as PC's
Cult Classic
post Mar 20 2005, 06:51 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,888

I have always wanted to play a fixer in shadowrun. As a GM I get to do this on a NPC Level. But what I want is a system of abilities, extra resources, contacts, rules that govern this class or archetype. Something the likes of Physical adepts. Adepts get 6 points to purchase adept powers at character creation. I would like to see something similar where I start with a pool of points, which can then be spent on a point for a charisma bonus in negotiation, 2 points to set up a shop too fence stolen loot, 1 point for a body guard, 1.5 points for 3 extra levels in cyberwear pricing and procurement and a whole host of other goodness. As my character gains karma and street cred I can bump up abilities or purchase new ones.

Cyberpunk had fixers as a class. They even had a book dedicated to fixers. Is shadowrun 4th heading in this same direction with the term info Broker? Who else here would want to play a Info Broker/fixer. Or am I just reading too much into that term.

You’re a shadowrunner, a street operative, scratching out a living on the mean sprawl streets. You may be human, elf, dwarf, ork or troll. From lethal street samurai to well-connected info brokers, spell-slinging mages or code-cracking hackers. No matter what, you’re a professional ­corporate pawn or “deniable asset,” you get the job done.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Mar 20 2005, 07:03 PM
Post #2

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

You may enjoy these fan rules

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 20 2005, 08:55 PM
Post #3

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

Um... why? Everything you describe above can already be done using either Resources (the shop = a seperate Low/Middle/High lifestyle, depending on how nice a shop it is), Contacts (the bodyguard, the myriad of contacts needed to make a network for procuring things), Edges (Bonus Attribute Point(Charisma), Connected(specific specialty) Aptitude(Negotiation/Ettiquite)), Flaws (Dependent or Day job for open hours on your shop), skills (Negotiation to lower prices, Ettiquite to wrangle stuff out of contacts) etc etc. Where would these "bonus points" come from, and how would they be any different from normal player buils points?

One of the things I like best about SR is the move *away* from classism, that bonuses and special abilities come from specific sources and not from random nonsensical bonuses received because you picked up a "class" which gave you some mysterious bonus with no logical source. Why make an exception from that just for fixers, who can be perfectly easily modelled from existing mechanics?

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Mar 20 2005, 09:04 PM
Post #4

Resident Legionnaire

Member No.: 6,550

My thoughts too, EB.

This is why it is so easy for "face" characters to retire as fixers =)

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 20 2005, 09:14 PM
Post #5

Decker on the Threshold

Honestly there's not much real difference between a face and a fixer, just number of contacts and access to equipment/resources. Oh, and the hat that says "Fixer" instead of the one that says "Face" :D

+Quote Post
craigpierce
post Mar 20 2005, 09:33 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,599

i agree with EB in that there are so many different archetypes you can make under the SR system - that's one thing that's so great about it. they shouldn't have to list the rules for every type of 'class' that someone might want to be since the rules are set up so that, using your imagination, you can create anyone you want.

i say make your fixer....just buy a lot of contacts and have 1 or 2 regular places that you hang out so you can always be found if someone needs work/runners.

actually, that could be a really good 'day job' - someone calls you up and your team is already in the middle of a run...hire out one of your contacts to do it and charge a 15% referral fee.

he he, i said refer... :smokin:

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Mar 21 2005, 12:31 AM
Post #7

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

Aside from mentioning the names, have we actually heard anything substansive about these two things? Because honestly I can't see what the fuss is about. Info brokers - someone that buys and sells information. Fixers - put people/interested parties together, acts as suppliers/fences etc. We've already got them in the game and are readily playable as PC's. :/

+Quote Post
craigpierce
post Mar 21 2005, 05:42 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,599

QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Aside from mentioning the names, have we actually heard anything substansive about these two things? Because honestly I can't see what the fuss is about. Info brokers - someone that buys and sells information. Fixers - put people/interested parties together, acts as suppliers/fences etc. We've already got them in the game and are readily playable as PC's. :/

i didn't know if there were hard-and-fast rules for them...never really paid that much attention (plus i've been mostly out of the SR world for like a year and a half)

if there are, then why take up that space in the book...i think that using the list of skills and edges/flaws and such, you can make-up any class you want. but now i'm just repeating myself....

+Quote Post
Charon
post Mar 21 2005, 05:46 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 7,087

You can play a fixer with a more hands on approach to biz.

Get 12+ contacts, a high etiquette and a good charisma. What more you need?

Had a player who wasn't too far from that. Not quite a fixer, but he was the go to guy to procure anything for the other PCs and he had so many contact that 3 runs out of 4 started with one of his contacts approaching him for a job and him relaying the info to the team.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 21 2005, 08:28 PM
Post #10

Decker on the Threshold

And honestly that's about as far as you want a PC fixer to go. The next step is making the leap to outsourcing: get something on the order of 50-70+ contacts and make yourself the middleman, setting up jobs (johnsons) on one side with runners on the other, or buyers with smugglers, etc etc. By then though you're pretty much lost the ability and reasons to go out into the field yourself; in just about every case you'd be able to instantly think of someone else who'd be better for any particular job than you would be. It's possible under the rules, but it'd be pretty boring.

+Quote Post
Trax
post Mar 22 2005, 04:18 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,924

QUOTE (Charon)
You can play a fixer with a more hands on approach to biz.

Get 12+ contacts, a high etiquette and a good charisma. What more you need?

Had a player who wasn't too far from that. Not quite a fixer, but he was the go to guy to procure anything for the other PCs and he had so many contact that 3 runs out of 4 started with one of his contacts approaching him for a job and him relaying the info to the team.

High negotiation skill to squeeze out every last nuyen for something you are selling/buying for someone else.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:56 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.