Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tech Predictions for SR4
Vuron
post Mar 21 2005, 03:43 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,185

So what technology predictions do you have for the 2070 timeline.

Note that a good deal of the one's I'll go ahead and predict I'm not sure I neccesarily want showing up but I figure they'll raise thier head up sooner or later.

Aerodynes- One of the coolest features of Bladerunner style cyberpunk this was one of the technologies that Cyberpunk 2020 always had and many feel like Shadowrun was lacking.

Full-Body Conversion Borgs- a shirow style cyberpunk thing that many shadowrun kinda adopted in cybertechnology to a mixed review.

Synthetic Humans- The lack of true AIs (with notable exceptions) has kept the development of synthetic humans from becoming a noticeable part of the shadowrun (although there have been some hints in some of the novels).

Biocomputers- Ever since gibson wrote Neuromancer biochips have been the preferred method for getting the sheer number of neural connections neccesary to achieve AIs. This might or might not be true for Shadowrun AIs. Getting the biochips out of the UV hosts and into more companies might be expected (and might explain things like deep resonance better)

Landmates- Always something more of a Manga/Anime cyberpunk feel powered armor seems to inevitably creep into high end cyberpunk sooner or later.

Man portable Railguns- Similar to the landmates in feel I predict them showing up sooner or later.

So that's my list do you guys have any ones that you either want or fear to have show up?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sepherim
post Mar 21 2005, 04:03 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,446

QUOTE]Aerodynes- One of the coolest features of Bladerunner style cyberpunk this was one of the technologies that Cyberpunk 2020 always had and many feel like Shadowrun was lacking.[/QUOTE]

I certainly hope not. I always thought it was a great feature for SR not to include such things...

Full-Body Conversion Borgs- a shirow style cyberpunk thing that many shadowrun kinda adopted in cybertechnology to a mixed review.

Well, I heard a friend of mine say you could actually achieve such a thing even with the Essence 6 limit, surely any cyberzombie can.

Synthetic Humans- The lack of true AIs (with notable exceptions) has kept the development of synthetic humans from becoming a noticeable part of the shadowrun (although there have been some hints in some of the novels).

IMO, certainly advancing such a line further from where it stands now (remember that, for example, Doc Wagon uses clones for bodypart replacements) is dangerous, both to the storyline and for the advancement of the game. Making it work properly in the SR world would surely need a lot of brainstorming.

Biocomputers- Ever since gibson wrote Neuromancer biochips have been the preferred method for getting the sheer number of neural connections neccesary to achieve AIs. This might or might not be true for Shadowrun AIs. Getting the biochips out of the UV hosts and into more companies might be expected (and might explain things like deep resonance better)

Do you mean normal computers that work with biological chips? Or maybe a more organic kind of computer? If it's the first, it could be interesting, but surely wouldn't change the world much, further than having a way bigger memory processing power. The second becomes too high-science fiction for me.

Landmates- Always something more of a Manga/Anime cyberpunk feel powered armor seems to inevitably creep into high end cyberpunk sooner or later.

Not exactly sure about this, but I always imagined the Renraku Red Samurais' armors as quite near the ones pictured in movies like Jin-Roh. If you mean, further down the line from that, I don't really think it would fit into a down-and-gritty kind of world.

Man portable Railguns- Similar to the landmates in feel I predict them showing up sooner or later.

IIRC, all you need is a Vindicator and a gyrostabilized mount.

I, personally, would love to see new "common-life" techonologies appear, like the ones pictured in the SSG. They offered plenty of options both for background and for using them as a key in the game, and really made you feel that the world had advance (at least, way more than any amount of weapons, or armors, etc). Just my 0.2 nuyen.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 21 2005, 05:08 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

I agree that more everyday technology would be welcome in the core books, so that you get a better feel for what the world in general is like, not just what criminals of the 2070s are packing. Of course that takes away space from the absolutely essential stuff to include, since it's hard to play SR without the guns and the armor and the B/R-equipment, so it's understandable that there's not that much of everyday tech.

I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone that I'd like weapon and armor tech to advance at least to the level of current SotA, and for that tech to have logical rules. Predictions are hardly my specialty though, so I'll leave most of that to others.

QUOTE (Vuron)
Always something more of a Manga/Anime cyberpunk feel powered armor seems to inevitably creep into high end cyberpunk sooner or later.

Considering the several threads there have been on Dumpshock about power armor, and the several designs that have sprung up using just the rules from Rigger 3 (Revised), it would not surprise me in the least if a few such designs leaked into canon.

QUOTE (Vuron)

This really comes down to how many different kinds of weaponry they want to include in the core book(s). There's certainly no good reason not to include them, other than them being a cliché, since large railguns are common in SR3 canon, as are other not-viable-yet-IRL-small arms (Gyrojet Weapons in CC, for example).

QUOTE (Sepherim)

The General Electric Vindicator Minigun is a conventional firearm, using a burning chemical propellant. The smallest actual railgun in SR3 is the Aztech Xicohtenctal Light Railgun, weighing in at 135kg. There are no rules for personal use of that weapon, it is vehicles-only as far as canon goes, mountable in a Hardpoint or a Medium or larger turret.

This post has been edited by Austere Emancipator: Mar 21 2005, 05:56 PM

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 21 2005, 05:29 PM
Post #4

The King In Yellow

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,121

Aerodynes- One of the coolest features of Bladerunner style cyberpunk this was one of the technologies that Cyberpunk 2020 always had and many feel like Shadowrun was lacking.

NO!

Please show me your 'many'. I know 'many' who feel they were one of the stupid future predictions of the 80s, like the 1 kg cellphone and the absence of wireless technology, and must not be introduced into Shadowrun.

Besides, if you miss your Aerodynes that much, make yourself a small vectored thrust vehicle and call it Aerodyne. There're even Chromebook conversions for all four of them around somewhere (Plastic Warriors?), you can get SR3 Aerodyne stats there all right. Now board your aerodyne, go over 80 mph, activate the flux compensator, and return to 1986. Don't forget to feed the fusion reactor with trash, though. Or buy some plutonium in your local pharmacy.

And avoid lightning. :P ;)

Well, I heard a friend of mine say you could actually achieve such a thing even with the Essence 6 limit, surely any cyberzombie can.

Using Deltaware, it is perfectly possible without surpassing 0 essence, and you can get in wired and a bit of other goodies too. I rebuilt Motoko Kusanagi from GitS once, just to see if it was possible. In the end, she would have been as formidable a fighter as shown in the movie and TV show. Had I used edges and flaws, and had I applied the cyberware implantation edges like M&M suggests, she could have gotten even more ware.
Betaware is good too if your cyborg factory is working on a budget, but won't give you a really hot combat body, though it can still be decent and you could make it into most of the full 'borg bodies of CP2020, namely Chromebook 2 (I may mix up their contents, as it's a long time since I read them).
Alphaware will only work for the basic nescessities, such as eyes, ears, and some bioware. The idea of putting gear into cyberlimbs to save essence really works to the 'borg's advantage. Since Alpha has been around since Shadowtech, it's safe to assume this technology isn't quite SOTA either. So there. Perfectly possible in SR3, and using Cyberpunk-style technology without any mumbo-jumbo and soul-binding.

Well, you can build yourself robots, like in GitS - like those pleasurebots and worker droids shown in the movies. Just take the above mentioned cyborg body, insert a pilot system and autosofts like with a Deus drone, and voila! insta-Android. Of course, they won't be too smart, but they can surely get the work done, and possibly even pass a Turing test.

Using high.end autosofts and pilots might even give you Tachikomas ... *shudders*

I dunno, they always seemed a tad overly scifi to me even in Gibson's books. Having said that, with the advent of Nanotechnology and quantum computing, they're behind SOTA.l

Not exactly sure about this, but I always imagined the Renraku Red Samurais' armors as quite near the ones pictured in movies like Jin-Roh. If you mean, further down the line from that, I don't really think it would fit into a down-and-gritty kind of world.

1. I hadn't pictured them as people in Killzone/Jin-Roh armour, but that'd be quite ... cool.
2. He is referring to something like this as opposed to a Jin-Roh full body armour (which would pass as medium to strong military-grade bodyaromur, possibly with strength augmentation, as hinted in Fields of Fire). Basically, hlf armour and half Mecha.
I don't know. These things might be too Manga for me already. But ... well, I guess I could live with that, so long as they'd be very rare. But no Mecha. I'd hate that. We have Battletech for that. Or, well, had, but anyway, I'd hate to see Shadowrun turn into a cheap Battletech rip-off as much as I'd hate to see it go the way of Cybergeneration.

I, personally, would love to see new "common-life" techonologies appear, like the ones pictured in the SSG. They offered plenty of options both for background and for using them as a key in the game, and really made you feel that the world had advance (at least, way more than any amount of weapons, or armors, etc). Just my 0.2 nuyen.

I don't like man-portable Railguns. I hated them in the Chromebook, since I fail to understand their liability when you could use the incredibly high output and endurance batteries to power a by far more effective laser.

And I second the request of more common-life technology. The whole reason why I bought the Cyberpunk books is because they have many more of these items than Shadowrun's (largely metagaming-oriented) soucebooks. With these conversion tables, one can at least use most of these funky applicances. Yeah, they don't add any number to your character's sheet. But they add flavour. And that's as important as better numbers, at least as far as I am concerned.

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Mar 21 2005, 06:19 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

One thing I've always kinda hated is them introducing new technologies via novels and sourcebooks without following up the obviously successful technologies by having them become more common place.

For instance powered armor has definitely been within the SR canon since the London sourcebook introduced the Knights of Glendower. Granted it seems they've been at least sort of retconned out to a degree but we are talking power armor in 2053-2054 timeframe. It doesn't makes sense for the Tir nations and thier satelites to remain substanitial ahead of the SOTA in tech as well as magic.

Of course there are other problems with the current SOTA (tending to go with kewl topics) rather than increase the baseline but... I do stand by my predictions that sooner or later most of what I've predicted will be added in ;)

+Quote Post
Aristotle
post Mar 21 2005, 06:41 PM
Post #6

Slacker Extraordinaire

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 997

QUOTE (hermit)
Basically, hlf armour and half Mecha.
I don't know. These things might be too Manga for me already. But ... well, I guess I could live with that, so long as they'd be very rare. But no Mecha.

I agree. I definately don't want any sort of 'giant robots' in my Shadowrun. But I wouldn't mind seeing the mechanized body armor being discussed so long as it had an appropriate rarity (backed by cost, street index, legality, and the whole nine yards). Something the military or corps would use sparingly even in extremely hostile environments or to guard the absolutely most secure of facilities.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Mar 21 2005, 07:09 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

See the last few episodes of Stand Alone Complex's first season for a very good depiction of heavy armored suits used as urban, special operations tanks.

+Quote Post
BrazilRascal
post Mar 21 2005, 07:24 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 7,115

You guys are forgetting the mosr mind-bending, cutting edge, super-nano-quantic science breakthrough!!

----drum roll----

Cyber-radios that don't cost .75 Essence!

I surely hope they don't go the mecha route, though...I think the game has to preserve its gritty Blade Runner feel as much as possible, instead of embracing the teenager-in-giant-robot trend. Maybe they will come up with some cyberware piece that gives limites resistance to magic (say, an offshot of the karma hazing that gives cyberzombies their extra resist). Perhaps APDS and Av ammo won't be so outrageously hard to find. Or maybe the SOTA will be so that most common implants will get some essence cost reduction even in non-alpha grades, letting you get more for you 6 points of immortal soul and giving the game a sleeker, meaner edge overall.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Mar 21 2005, 07:44 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

I'd just like to see some of the "better" tech like Smartlink 2 become the "core book" tech. Just like no one sells a 14.4 modem anymore, it should be very hard to even find a Smartlink 1 in 2070.

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Mar 21 2005, 07:46 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

True Mecha should be avoided like the plague as well there are multiple other games that focus on that genre and do it extremely well. Trying to compete against either the wargamer style games (Battletech, Heavy Gear) or the softer anime style games (Tristat etc) is a losing proposition at best.

When I said landmates I was more mentioning the various mansized powered armors bristling with weapons that are so common in shirow-style cyberpunk. Of course the risk is making it too much of a Bubblegum Crisis.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Mar 21 2005, 08:19 PM
Post #11

Guests

QUOTE (Vuron)
Aerodynes-
Full-Body Conversion Borgs-
Synthetic Humans-
Biocomputers-
Landmates-
Man portable Railguns-

Wow. That's pretty much every reason why I never even wanted to play CP2020 right there in a neat little list.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Mar 21 2005, 08:22 PM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

What, exactly, do you have against fully body cyborgs, androids, and powered armor suits?

What is wrong with you?

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Mar 21 2005, 08:22 PM
Post #13

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

It's Shadowrun, not Knightsabres.

Let's keep the BESM aspects to a minimum.

+Quote Post
Lucyfersam
post Mar 21 2005, 08:34 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,137

There is one historical mention of something power armor like in SR, the Knights of Snowdonia in the London sourcebook are described as having crazy armor but being able to still move at impossible speeds (as I recall there is shadowtalk about one taking a panther round to the chest without denting the armor). Fuchi had a million nuyen bounty out for bringing in one of those suits, though with their collapse who knows if Novatech maintained that or anyone had the balls to do it.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Mar 21 2005, 08:37 PM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

I seem to remember one of the developers commenting that for it's weight and amount of coverage, the heavier security and mil-spec armors should be penalizing the characters' movement and reactions more than the base rule that's in place already does. The suggestion was that the reason that they don't was that those armors already incorporate minor strength and motion enhancements, just not enough that they felt it warranted the term "power armor". However, I didn't buy it when I first heard it, and I still don't, since there's nothing at all to suggest it in the item descriptions.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Mar 21 2005, 09:01 PM
Post #16

Guests

QUOTE (Arethusa)
What, exactly, do you have against fully body cyborgs, androids, and powered armor suits?

What is wrong with you?

I'd ask you the same question.

But, to be blunt, I can only suspend disbelief so far before reality punches me in the back of the head and yells at me to grow up.

+Quote Post
Vertaxis666
post Mar 21 2005, 09:55 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 6,692

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Mar 21 2005, 01:22 PM)

What is wrong with you?

I'd ask you the same question.

But, to be blunt, I can only suspend disbelief so far before reality punches me in the back of the head and yells at me to grow up.

This is Shadowrun. This is not Rifts.

As for full conversion Borgs...... Try a little Cybermancy.

If a full conversion Borg were ever allowed in the rules, it is unlikely to be a PC. Either it would be a Corp experiment programmed to do their bidding, or a Government/Military experiment. It's something the PCs would have to fight.

Now OTOH, when I play a Rigger, I wouldn't mind having a couple squads of Skelebots to do with as I please..... :shock:

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Mar 21 2005, 09:59 PM
Post #18

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

Not to mention a Death's Head Transport to move them.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 21 2005, 11:03 PM
Post #19

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

As for full conversion Borgs...... Try a little Cybermancy.

No, no cybermancy is nescessary. Try a little deltaware.

If a full conversion Borg were ever allowed in the rules, it is unlikely to be a PC. Either it would be a Corp experiment programmed to do their bidding, or a Government/Military experiment. It's something the PCs would have to fight.

I agree. A full 'borg is just too expensive, and requires too much regular maintainance to be feasible as a shadow runner. Besides, even without cybermancy (which, to my knowledge, is practiced in four, maybe five locations worldwide)
The full borg would likely be "employed" by either a government agency (very much like in GitS) or a really major corporation (AAA, AA if the corp is really dedicated to such stuff, like UO, a major merc corporation, or Proteus). It'd be a (formidable) enemy, at least if played right (thermo-optic camouflage, high skills, SOTA equipment, operating in teams, heavy firepower in backup).

+Quote Post
frostPDP
post Mar 21 2005, 11:57 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,205

Well, my GM once allowed the whole cyber-suit thing to go through. Looking through Rigger 3 (Not a book I know like the back-of-my-hand) it would have to have been an Autoform or Walker + special design sort of thing, large-sized. I don't know specifically how he did it, but suffice to say it cost about 500K nuyen. It was, after all, a corp experiment...And he was, after all, quadra-palegic...And when he got faced with anti-vehicular rounds in an assault rifle, his mech was damaged severely...And it was impossible to go out in the street without the army getting called in on him...But anyway.

One of the big tech things will almost have to be automatons, but on a small level (I.E. power-suit armor refinements.) None of the goodies will be available to anything but the most well-connected SRs, but that's mainly because most of it will still be experimental. The main reason against large mech-type things is cost, which will also remain prohibitive, but also because the energy demands are fairly infeasable for now - The first Vector-Thrust craft were probably highly inefficient, as was the first cyberware.

Another advance is that most military (duh) and para-military groups will have ADPS/AV rounds, either because they become more street-available or because more runners learn how to make their own.

Wired 4? LOL no, that would be silly, but what is undoubtedly going to happen is that Betaware will become slightly more available, especially used. Furthermore, old normal-grade cyberware is going to be virtually eclipsed by Alphaware, so its possible Deltaware will become eclipsed as well? I'd hope not, but this looks to be a touchy balancing point.

Some things I'd really like that aren't always probable - Definitely less essence cost for a bloody radio. Bone Lacing also costs a little too much essence at the later stages, but then again its effects seem pretty useful so maybe its just a personal pet peeve that something taking up the same space (plastic and titanium do take up about the same space) without taking up much energy at all have different values.

Then again I'm a n00b with cyberware :) I just want to see it as a little more effective - Most people I play with are Adepts, which kills the variety a little.

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Mar 22 2005, 05:06 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Well remember that aerodynes of a sort have been around since Shadowrun 1 in the form of panzers. I figure it's reasonable to expect the technology behind them to have emerged from exclusively military applications 20 years after the fact.

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Mar 22 2005, 05:39 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,634

Pardon me, what is this "aerodyne" everyone's talking about?

+Quote Post
Garland
post Mar 22 2005, 06:58 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,043

QUOTE (Arethusa)
See the last few episodes of Stand Alone Complex's first season for a very good depiction of heavy armored suits used as urban, special operations tanks.

Man, that was the shiznit. The whole hotel battle was just beautiful.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Mar 22 2005, 09:10 PM
Post #24

Runner

Member No.: 185

QUOTE (GunnerJ)
Pardon me, what is this "aerodyne" everyone's talking about?

Aerodynes are what turbo-fan or vector-thrust cars are known as in Cyberpunk (and the spin-off Cybergeneration) and are inspired by the ones seen in Blade Runner as well as RL developments like the Moller International M200 prototype (similar to the thing on the cover of New Seattle).

+Quote Post
akarenti
post Mar 22 2005, 09:33 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,785

I soppose someone should mention that Biocomputers are being created now in real life. They already vat-grew some rat brain cells and used them to coordiante a flight simulator. Don't remember where the article is, but someone posted a link to it on these boards a while ago, I think.

So biocomputing isn't exactly SciFi anymore. Add about 70 years, and I think that the technology might trickle into the hands of the general public (or at least smaller corporations).

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:12 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.