IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to find (tabletop) shadowrun groups., Lookin' ta gitta fix fer mah jones.
Da9iel
post Mar 22 2005, 12:26 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,367

I couldn't decide if this would be better to ask here or in the general gaming section, but I am looking specifically for folks to play Shadowrun with and this does get more traffic.

It's been many years since college; I can't canvas my dorm-mates looking for roleplayers. I don't think I want to advertise in the personals section . . .
QUOTE (Local Newspaper)
SWM seeks any for SR RP game
:grinbig: What's a good way to start/join a roleplaying group? I prefer tabletop. I enjoy being able to personally act out my character and react in real-time to others. Eventually if I can't find humans to play with, I will PBP (everyone knows internet people aren't real humans :alien: ).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Mar 22 2005, 12:42 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

If you can't find players, make players. Find a point of discussion with any frieds I assume you have, and see if they are willing to read over (or listen to a long monologue about) the basic setting of the game. If it interests them, go from there. If it doesn't interest them, arrange a shared housing with a few other Dumpshockers who are desperate for a real group to play in.

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Mar 22 2005, 01:07 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,897

1. Rent a copy of Johnny Mnemonic for your friends.
2. Provide lots of beer.
3. At the end of the film, say, "Wouldn't it be cool to live in a crazy mixed up world like that?"
4. Wait for general agreement.
5. Pull a copy of SR3 from behind the couch where you've hidden it.
6. In a creepy tone, say "Now you can...."

+Quote Post
Aes
post Mar 22 2005, 01:40 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,971

Having watched Johnny Mnemonic, you should probably either cut out BEFORE it's revealed that the greatest hacker who ever lived is a friggin' Mil-Spec dolphin or provide LOTS of beer.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Mar 22 2005, 01:35 AM
Post #5

Resident Legionnaire

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,550

Now if you're providing weed, I suggest allowing the dolphin...

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Mar 22 2005, 01:37 AM
Post #6

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

Blade Runner suits pretty well for pushing people into the Cyberpunk world. SR is a bit of a stretch (though replicants do seem pretty in sync with what cyberzombies could eventually become) with pretty much all Cyberpunk movies (with flesh-and-blood actors, at least).

If you find any anime fans, most of them are generally willing to at least try it out, especially if they've seen any Cyberpunk-esque shows (I can't name any off the top of my head other than Ghost in the Shell, sorry).

Generally, if you can't find 'em, make 'em.

Barring that, maybe try an IRC group.

+Quote Post
Eugene
post Mar 22 2005, 02:53 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,625

I've always been able to find people either through the internet or by posting a notice on a gaming board at the FLGS. I still get people calling or emailing every so often. I should probably take it down.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Mar 22 2005, 03:16 AM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

Personally I play at a gaming club, try and find one, even if nobody plays SR there you some people may be willing to try it.

Alternatively if there is a gaming store that stokes SR near you post a note on there message board (the physical one) saying your looking for players. It is a bit like personals but at least only gamers will read it.

Edward

+Quote Post
Mr Cjelli
post Mar 22 2005, 03:30 AM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 6,976

If you can't find an existing group or SR players in your area, consider converting non-SR gamers you know to SR. If you can convince just two people to give it a shot, odds are they can convince a person or two each themselves. This method worked very well for me.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Mar 22 2005, 07:52 AM
Post #10

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

Check at whatever store you buy your gaming books at (be it RPG-only shop, comic book store, whatever). Look for a bulletin board, see if anyone's looking for players, or see if you can put up a notice of your own.

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Mar 22 2005, 06:04 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,960

In my area there are no RPG shops...so the only store that has RPG books is Hastings and they have a big bulletin board in the lobby. You might try that also. ALot of people would probably see it.

+Quote Post
Maimer
post Mar 22 2005, 07:07 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 7,188

The easiesst way to find that elusive SR gaming group is your local Gaming Shop. Most of them have a place where groups can setup and run what ever they want. They also provide a place where people can put up notices if they are looking for a group or looking for someone to join the group.

+Quote Post
Weredigo
post Mar 22 2005, 07:18 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,030

accessdenied.net it'll help you hook up with Gamers for All different types of Genre's in your area... good luck.

+Quote Post
shadow_scholar
post Mar 22 2005, 07:34 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,059

Ugh, if you're going to subject your buds to Sci Fi movies similar to Shadowrun, don't dare use Johnny Mnemonic. Back in the day I thought it was the coolest ever, but watching a part of it recently made me throw up in my mouth a little. I guess when you're young you're impervious to bad acting and bad plots, even if the setting is cool, or at least decent.

Definitely choose 'Bladerunner', or one of my faves that had ties to simsense and/or BTLs and had a vaguely Shadowrun feel was 'Strange Days.' Or just ask them if they've seen the original 'Matrix' movie and if they dug it. That was an actually good Keanu Reeves movie that had a Shadowrun feel. And if asked, just disavow the second and third parts of the Matrix trilogy. I also thought the cartoon 'Batman Beyond' had a Shadowrun feel to it, too, if they're into animation.

Man, somebody needs to make a Shadowrun movie. A good Shadowrun movie.

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Mar 22 2005, 07:33 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,960

QUOTE (Weredigo)
accessdenied.net it'll help you hook up with Gamers for All different types of Genre's in your area... good luck.

Not trying to be a jerk but that site is pretty much empty. Kind of useless.

+Quote Post
Weredigo
post Mar 22 2005, 07:51 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,030

it has it's flaws, but when used correctly can be a big help.

+Quote Post
Da9iel
post Mar 22 2005, 10:41 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Thanks Weredigo. I'd never heard of accessdenied.net. There are actually a fair number of folks in the metro area listed. Thanks too for the rest of yall. I only know of one FLGS in the area. I'll have to make a trip out soon to see if they have a bulletin board. Now why couldn't I think of something that simple myself. :oops:

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Mar 22 2005, 11:26 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (RangerJoe)
2. Provide lots of beer.
3. At the end of the film, say, "Wouldn't it be cool to live in a crazy mixed up world like that?"

Damn that's creepy...reminds me of someone trying to convience their signigicant other into god-knows-what.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 23 2005, 12:45 AM
Post #19

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Da9iel)
I only know of one FLGS in the area. I'll have to make a trip out soon to see if they have a bulletin board. Now why couldn't I think of something that simple myself.

Just because you no longer attend College doesn't mean you can't still advertise there and recruit from it ... or even join one of their clubs. I used to know a lot of people that played in the University and College groups that didn't actual attend the institution.

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Mar 23 2005, 12:53 AM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
QUOTE (RangerJoe @ Mar 21 2005, 06:07 PM)
2. Provide lots of beer.

Damn that's creepy...reminds me of someone trying to convience their signigicant other into god-knows-what.

:rotfl:

I heard that.

Yeah, add my vote to the list for not using JM as the representation for SR. I don't think I've ever used a dolphin in a game, even as flavor. Blade Runner, GitS, Strange Days, Matrix are all better picks.

I might also suggest trying local comic book stores as gamers tend to frequent those stores as well. G'luck! :)

+Quote Post
Dog
post Mar 25 2005, 02:12 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,025

Do not. I repeat: DO NOT find a bunch of D&Ders and try to recruit them to try a new game. Trust me.

+Quote Post
Mr Cjelli
post Mar 25 2005, 02:47 AM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 6,976

QUOTE (Dog)
Do not. I repeat: DO NOT find a bunch of D&Ders and try to recruit them to try a new game. Trust me.

That's a pretty unfair generalization to make. Some D&D players will not enjoy SR or will play it like a dungeon crawl game. Others won't. I don't doubt you've had horrible experiences tying to recruit D&D players, but I've had no trouble with D&D players who've played SR with me.

+Quote Post
Dog
post Mar 25 2005, 03:07 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,025

Thanks for clearing that up, otherwise he woulda taken me seriously.... :please:

+Quote Post
Da9iel
post Mar 25 2005, 03:40 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Fear not. I keep my saltshaker handy whenever I'm logged onto Dumpshock. (For you non-native English speakers: To take something with a grain of salt means to be skeptical of it.)

+Quote Post
Rieal82
post Mar 25 2005, 04:31 AM
Post #25

Target

From: charlotte maga sprawl in the confederated american states AKA hell
Member No.: 7,018

if your really willing to go out on a limb go out to a computer store. at best buy just about all the guys who work in computers play SR or roalplaying games of some kind. we had a meet and great there and we started playing games of SR every week after that

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:39 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.