IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Yet another Shadowrun magic question, How illeagle is that voodoo that you do?
Mortax
post Mar 23 2005, 07:42 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,950

So does anyone out there have a decent list of leagality on spells and summoning? I've never seen anything cannon except use common sense, but I'm guessing some of you have some house rules. I"m assuming mind manipulation spells and cobat spells are illeagle, and I know that any act commited with magic is considered pre-meditated. Other than that, I've been winging it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Mar 23 2005, 07:47 PM
Post #2

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

Force 3 and under are legel, IIRC, anything higer needs a permit.

Flat out combat spells, aside from I think maybe stun type are also in need of permits if at all legal for Joe Wizard on the street.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 23 2005, 08:04 PM
Post #3

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Anything of Force 3 and over is illegal unless you have a permit.

+Quote Post
Capt. Dave
post Mar 23 2005, 08:53 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,183

Criminal acts committed by a spirit are the responsibility to its summoner.

There's more info in MITS, pg. 11

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Mar 24 2005, 12:09 AM
Post #5

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Also note, in honor of the subtitle, that the CAS has put a bounty on the heads of those that summon Zombies after 2061.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 24 2005, 12:18 AM
Post #6

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

I always thought that the blanket "Force <3 = legal, everything else = illegal" thing was kinda dumb, but then most of the legality codes are pretty dumb. Legality codes should be based on the spell: things that do damage to people (Manabolt, Fireball, etc) should require a permit no matter *what* the force, while a Force 3 Makeover spell should be just fine and dandy. Limiting spell legality by Force is as dumb as limiting legality of physical objects by weight ("That pocket knife's only a pound, so it's just fine. That computer monitor, though... you have a permit for that?")

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Mar 24 2005, 12:28 AM
Post #7

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

I've come to the opinion that all magic should be considered illegal without a permit, but an analogy that might fit: force 1 spells are to scooters as force 3 spells are to motorcycles. That's how a mundane laymen lawmaker might be convinced of it. Lumping all magic in one group makes it easier to handle, at least initially.

They really should decide punishment and degree of legality with a bit more finess after 50 years though.

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post Mar 24 2005, 01:00 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 6,690

I call it a case of simply not wanting to have to make a big table, or a multiple page rule write up of what's illegal at what power and when. In very few circumstances will there be any legal reprecussions for using a high force heal spell, even less for something like Makeover. If you use a force 6 treat on the LS patrolman that ganger just shot, well shucks, he had an awakened partner, but the guy was assening the other way when you cast the spell.

I find treating spell use like that is a much less stressful way to GM.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 24 2005, 02:19 AM
Post #9

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
They really should decide punishment and degree of legality with a bit more finess after 50 years though.

Especially if the mage population ever got up in arms about it. Lord, talk about the world's most frightening minority special interest group. :)

+Quote Post
Edward
post Mar 24 2005, 03:39 AM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

The book says in one place force<3 is legal, in another it says force>3 is illegal. My GM ruled that this accurately represents the law and the legal status of force 3 magical effects is not well defined.

The banning of spells over force 3 was a political action not a logical one, some spells (such as forced mind reading) are illegal as well, the perception seems to be that a force 2 mana bolt is no more dangerous than a BB gun, and impractical to regulate.

Remember it was mundanes that made these laws.

As to the legality of a force 6 heal spell, it would be in the same bucket as CPR is today. Technically your not supposed to do it without a first aid ticket and you cant claim on your resume you know how (and thus should get the higher pay of the office first aider) if your training but when a life is in danger and you save it nobody is going to issue a complaint and the licence would be a short course focusing on not harshing yourself out on drain when your in a dangerous situation.

Edward

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 24 2005, 04:31 AM
Post #11

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I recall reading in canon (not sure where) that healing spells are quite restricted, due to the powerful medical union (AMA?). Most of them require licensing, no matter what the Force.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Mar 24 2005, 07:02 AM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

there are several references to that but I think most of the legislation is held over from operating without a medical licence. It could be however that low force (legal) heal and treat spells are permitted for first aiders and higher force ones require a medical licence. (similar to how a first aider cant get all the equipment and drugs found in an ambulance).

Edward

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Mar 24 2005, 01:45 PM
Post #13

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

Also note, since it was in the subtitle, the section on Zombies clearly states they are outlawed throughout north america. Other nations are working on it.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Mar 24 2005, 01:45 PM
Post #14

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE (Edward)
there are several references to that but I think most of the legislation is held over from operating without a medical licence. It could be however that low force (legal) heal and treat spells are permitted for first aiders and higher force ones require a medical licence. (similar to how a first aider cant get all the equipment and drugs found in an ambulance).

Edward

I'd think the stabalize spell would be more like first aid, whereas heal/treat are more like direct medical attention.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Mar 24 2005, 04:58 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

QUOTE (Fortune)
I recall reading in canon (not sure where) that healing spells are quite restricted, due to the powerful medical union (AMA?). Most of them require licensing, no matter what the Force.

I think it was a sour grapes thing, wasn't it? "Here we are with years of study and knowledge of the (meta)human body, and any Tom, Dick or Shaman can fix you with a wave of his hand. Bah!"

I actually think Heal and Treat should be unrestricted, legally, because they really don't conflict with mainstream medicine hardly at all. Heal and Treat fix, basically, tissue damage - the kind of thing A&E deals with. They don't treat ongoing conditions (eg cancer), nor can they, oh, straighten a child's crooked limb.

I personally take a different approach to spell legality. Any damage-dealing spell is illegal at any force without a permit. To get a permit, the mage must show just cause for needing the spell; self-defence requirements will get you stun spells relatively easily, but lethal magics are way up there. Of course, you need a SIN to get a permit.

Likewise, any spell whose sole purpose is to increase combat efficiency (eg increase reflexes, enhance aim) requires a permit, and probably a sponsor such as a security firm employer.

Healing spells do not require permits; however their use by a non-medically trained mage automatically invalidates any medical insurance the patient has, and leaves the caster open to personal lawsuits. This being the case, most legit patients will prefer to see trained personnel where possible.

Simple illusions - entertainment, etc - are unregulated. Offensive illusions - chaos, blind - are treated in the same way as damaging spells. The likes of invisibility, stealth, etc, are restricted along the lines of reflex enhancers, since they have few legal uses.

However, I appreciate that YMMV.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:01 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.