IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR: Reloaded or Revolutions?, What are the developer's thinking?
GrinderTheTroll
post Mar 24 2005, 07:59 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,465

I've been thinking about the whole up-and-coming SR4 and it dawned on me about how this is going to be FanPro's first shot at creating a new rules set. Have they created any new RPG systems or just maintained existing ones like SR? I don't know if any of the original FASA developers are even around or where consulted for SR4, so this could be a very different product (with more than the names changed to protect the innocent).

What I am hoping for simply this: That they've (FanPro) looked at what has made SR successful and addressed many of the issues that are still outstanding rather than the simple "reboot" and start over approach. I have a sinking feeling more than just the Matrix are getting a complete overhaul and am still trying to comes to terms with losing the whole traditional "decker".

Would be interesting to see what resources FanPro tapped to make SR4 a reality. One of my biggest fears is they take the opprotunity to "try something new" for sake of giving us something new to chew on instead of building on a great legacy of gaming.

It's all paranoid speculation for now, I actually can't wait until the new version comes out so I can either celebrate: Not having to buy more rules books, or about how kick-ass it will be.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Mar 24 2005, 07:58 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

<shrug> One thing about SR is that, through 2 new editions, they've kept enough of the system recognizable and compatible so that older players can convert and keep playing. The actual system has been changed (in my opinion improved) considerably, but the basic tenents are still there. I'll wager the new edition will be similiar: change everything they can change, with enough familiar for us old-timers to convert without busting a vein.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 24 2005, 07:59 PM
Post #3

Tilting at Windmills

Member No.: 388

Actually, it's more like "Evolution." It's not a reboot of the universe, it's not starting over from scratch. Everything is advancing, yes, but it's the same world and the same story.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Mar 24 2005, 08:08 PM
Post #4

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

But would it still be classified as radical and revolutionary, indeed worthy of a complete overhaul?

-Siege

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 24 2005, 08:12 PM
Post #5

Tilting at Windmills

QUOTE (Siege)
But would it still be classified as radical and revolutionary, indeed worthy of a complete overhaul?

In my (admittedly somewhat biased) opinion, yeah. I'm not writing for this, at least not yet, just playtesting it, but the writing team is definitely trying to make it worth the effort. I'm hoping that we playtesters will get some leeway to talk a little more about things very soon, so I can stop being so damn vague. I hate having to hem and haw around things, but legal agreements are like that sometimes....

+Quote Post
Siege
post Mar 24 2005, 08:09 PM
Post #6

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Ya know, as long as it isn't duplicating the d20 system, I'm willing to give it the benefit of doubt.

If it is...I've already commented on the need for a "pulling the trigger" smiley.

-Siege

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Mar 24 2005, 10:22 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,634

PG's comment on another thread that the new system rates a 6 on a scale from 1 (identical) to 10 (completely unrecognizable) is... well not troubling, but ominous.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Mar 24 2005, 10:43 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (Ancient History)
<shrug> One thing about SR is that, through 2 new editions, they've kept enough of the system recognizable and compatible so that older players can convert and keep playing. The actual system has been changed (in my opinion improved) considerably, but the basic tenents are still there. I'll wager the new edition will be similiar: change everything they can change, with enough familiar for us old-timers to convert without busting a vein.

Therein lies my concern.

The previous versions where under FASA control, the rules had already been written. What I am striking at is, what will a pure FanPro product look like versus a mature FASA one?

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Mar 24 2005, 10:41 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,302

It's not like they pulled a Laura Croft on this ("I woke up this morning and I just hated everything."). There has been a long process in developing this new system, no doubt. We have to trust that the writers and rulemakers have done their homework, and tried to preseve the integrity of the game. If that wasn't their intent, no doubt FanPro would scrap SR altogether and develop something different.

PS: I just had to go with the cheesy movie references. :D

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 24 2005, 10:44 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

it's Lara, you non-geek.

and it's worth pointing out that the "mature" FASA run brought us catgirls and marsupial pouches. personally, until i hear different, i'm willing to accept goodman at his word when he says that the system hasn't mutated into something horrible.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Mar 24 2005, 10:53 PM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

"I woke up this morning and I just hated everything"? What the hell? Tomb Riader written by Camus?

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Mar 24 2005, 10:48 PM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,302

Just because Edios can't spell, doesn't make me a non-geek, eh.

Arethusa: Movie reference, after the special ops raid on her mansion.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Mar 24 2005, 11:26 PM
Post #13

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

Well, FanPro has produced the Dark Eye, though I don't know anything about it. It's rather recent.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 24 2005, 11:21 PM
Post #14

Tilting at Windmills

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Well, FanPro has produced the Dark Eye, though I don't know anything about it. It's rather recent.

That was a translation of a German-language fantasy game from across the pond. Most of us don't have a whole lot of use for it.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 24 2005, 11:30 PM
Post #15

Tilting at Windmills

QUOTE (GunnerJ)
PG's comment on another thread that the new system rates a 6 on a scale from 1 (identical) to 10 (completely unrecognizable) is... well not troubling, but ominous.

It should be less ominous than all that, really.

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Mar 25 2005, 12:15 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

It's just that I'm very used to, and attatched to, the dice roll vs. TN to generate successes system. I see threads of info about 2D6 rolls for attributes, and while it doesn't sound bad, it sounds like kind of a big leap, and makes me a bit anxious.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 25 2005, 04:15 AM
Post #17

Tilting at Windmills

QUOTE (GunnerJ)
It's just that I'm very used to, and attatched to, the dice roll vs. TN to generate successes system. I see threads of info about 2D6 rolls for attributes, and while it doesn't sound bad, it sounds like kind of a big leap, and makes me a bit anxious.

That's actually Decipher's CODA system (2D6 + skill).

The new SR system is not like that; Bull was being facetious.

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Mar 25 2005, 04:39 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

I know he was joking, but there was some speculation that because it was the second time someone "in the know" brought up the 2D6 thing, there may be a grain of truth to it. But it's not worth speculating over until concrete details emerge.

+Quote Post
NeoJudas
post Mar 25 2005, 04:42 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 106

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
The new SR system is not like that; Bull was being facetious.

Well that is good to know. <wink>

As for mine own completely uninformed opinion (what can I say, I've been busy for a few years now and out of the loop). The folks at FANPRO that are developing the game are, for lack of less colorful terms, born out of the original Shadowrun. And while all of us may/may not agree with their general direction/take on something, that doesn't mean that they aren't going to try their darndest to make the game enjoyable for as many people as they can.

+Quote Post
Bull
post Mar 25 2005, 06:04 AM
Post #20

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

Many of them aren;t exactly fresh off the farm, either...

Rob Boyle was Assistant Editor on the original SR3. A fair number of freelancers and playtesters involved now were involved with SR3 to some degree.

There are a lot of new faces, but there is still some experience there to temper that.

Bull

+Quote Post
Cain
post Mar 25 2005, 07:16 AM
Post #21

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

Welcome back, K.

Out of curiosity, Bull, how many of the SR4 staff were around for SR2 or 1? Or are otherwise old-timers, like you or me or Paolo. (There's only a handful of people on this forum who started playing SR1, let alone started in the 80's. What percentage of the new team have that kind of history with Shadowrun?)

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 25 2005, 12:12 PM
Post #22

Tilting at Windmills

QUOTE (Cain)
Welcome back, K.

Out of curiosity, Bull, how many of the SR4 staff were around for SR2 or 1? Or are otherwise old-timers, like you or me or Paolo. (There's only a handful of people on this forum who started playing SR1, let alone started in the 80's. What percentage of the new team have that kind of history with Shadowrun?)

Did I work on it back when? No. I've been playing role-playing games for more than 25 years, though, and I've been playing Shadowrun since its release in 1989. I started working on it as a freelancer with SR3 and, specifically, Man & Machine.

As I mention on my playtesting blog (link in my sig, updates hopefully forthcoming very soon), we're all fans. We're not planning on doing anything to hurt the game, since we all love it.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Mar 25 2005, 12:09 PM
Post #23

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

That's good to hear. And as you and surely a lot of the other playtesters and writers are around at dumpshock, you know what we, the fans, are complaining about and waht we want re-designt. And waht we don't want. Like d20. :)

+Quote Post
Synner
post Mar 25 2005, 01:19 PM
Post #24

Runner

Member No.: 185

I echo Patrick's comments. I'm one of those new faces among the freelancer crew who came aboard half-way through SR3 (actually its been three years and quite a few books now, I wonder when I'll qualify as an old-timer?), but I've been playing since 1990 (it took SR1 a few months to work its way to my corner of the world) and I've been an active contributor to the community and DSF since it called itself the Deep Resonance Forums and wore funky Christmas tree colors.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Mar 25 2005, 01:31 PM
Post #25

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

And you're doing imo a fine job :)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:04 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.