> Changing Combat Spells, Compiled suggestions
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 25 2005, 01:39 AM
Post #1

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

QUOTE (GunnerJ)
Well, there's something odd about how there's only 6 worthwhile combat spells: manabolt, manaball, powerbolt, powerball, stunbolt, stunball. Actually, I never take manabolt or ball when I can take the stun varieties.

Discuss. :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 25 2005, 02:01 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,670

yeah. the thing with lethal and non-lethal combat spells is, there's no compelling reason to use the lethal ones--and some strongly compelling reasons to use the non-lethal ones. if combat spells were guns, then stun rounds would not only use the same damage code as regular rounds, but would also give you a -1 to your TN (since Willpower on most combat-ready targets is lower than Body) and you'd be able to fit an extra 6 rounds in your clip (lower drain = more castings before passing out). most runners don't need their opponents dead, they just need them out of the way, which non-lethal spells do with much greater efficiency.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Mar 25 2005, 02:03 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Not really much discussion out of me, here. I completely agree.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 25 2005, 02:05 AM
Post #4

Decker on the Threshold

Well, keep in mind when it comes to non-lethal combat spells:

1) Pain Editors make Sun spells almost completely useless.
2) Mana/Powerbolt are generally much better for taking out your fellow mages. :D

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Mar 25 2005, 02:24 AM
Post #5

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

Oh, and this LOS blocking area of effect targets from being effected has got to go. This isn't Doom where you can escape the BFG by ducking around the corner

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Mar 25 2005, 02:22 AM
Post #6

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

For combat spells? Are you serious? That'd not be something I'd like to see unless they eliminate combat spells as they stand now. The targets don't get dodge or damage resistance test, the drain is rather easy, and the area effected is huge.

+Quote Post
Lucyfersam
post Mar 25 2005, 02:49 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,137

One thing I would like to see is the return of elemental combat spells. I always loved the idea of looking at someone and having them explode into a fireball. Keep the Manipulation fireball, but put the elemental combat spells back in too.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Mar 25 2005, 03:03 AM
Post #8

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

My issue is with the ball spells. They should act more like grenades. Magical barriers act like barriers (except for returning force).

Though I'm all for dodging ball spells, if you are good enough to get the hell out of the way then you should be able to.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 25 2005, 03:11 AM
Post #9

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 25 2005, 01:05 PM)
Pain Editors make Sun spells almost completely useless.

Deadly Stun still means unconsciousness, no matter whether a Pain Editor is present or not.

Mana...bolt are generally much better for taking out your fellow mages.

In what way? Mana Bolt/Ball still target, and are resisted by Willpower.

+Quote Post
Lucyfersam
post Mar 25 2005, 03:06 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

You dodge Manipulation based ball spells, not Combat. The theory behind combat spells (note, this may be second ed. magical theory, I don't remember if it changed in 3rd ed.) is that the spells force is centered inside the target and burst out. With ball spells you are simply targeting more people with the same effect, not throwing a grenade, that's why you have the manipulations spells like fireball, etc. Your description sounds like exactly the way those manipulation spells work, so I see no problem keeping combat spells in concept the way they are.

As far as using lethal vs. non lethal combat spell, I tend to agree that the non-lethal is the obvious choice for anyone who's not a psychotic killer. Same net effect (the target is incapacitated) for less drain and not gaining enemies as fast. If they put the elemental combat spells back in there would be some reason for using the lethal version (i.e. you get the elemental side effects of catching things on fire or whatever). (Note: Hellblast was far and away my favorite spell of 2nd ed.)

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 25 2005, 03:51 AM
Post #11

Decker on the Threshold

QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 25 2005, 01:05 PM)
Pain Editors make Sun spells almost completely useless.

Deadly Stun still means unconsciousness, no matter whether a Pain Editor is present or not.
Not so; with a Pain Editor you aren't affected by Stun at all; you'd have to overflow all the way to Deadly Physical to make them fall over.

Mana...bolt are generally much better for taking out your fellow mages.

In what way? Mana Bolt/Ball still target, and are resisted by Willpower.

Er, sorry. Powerbolt then. I guess Manabolt is kinda useless, except for when you *really* want to kill that street sam.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Mar 25 2005, 04:08 AM
Post #12

Beetle Eater

Manabolt is useful when astrally projecting, since it can actually destroy a spirit, not just disrupt. I think Wards and other astral barriers cannot be hurt by stun spells, but not quite sure about the former.

Anyway, Spiritball is a wonderful spell if you deal with summoners and astral attack packs.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 25 2005, 04:02 AM
Post #13

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Lucyfersam)
As far as using lethal vs. non lethal combat spell, I tend to agree that the non-lethal is the obvious choice for anyone who's not a psychotic killer. Same net effect (the target is incapacitated) for less drain and not gaining enemies as fast.

On the contrary, you make enemies faster. You ruin someone who you know works with security's life instead of killing them and maybe getting them angry enough to come after you, if they even have the resources to.

~J

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 25 2005, 04:20 AM
Post #14

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Not so; with a Pain Editor you aren't affected by Stun at all; you'd have to overflow all the way to Deadly Physical to make them fall over.

Ah, right. Fair enough. I rarely see them used, and should have checked before posting. :oops:

+Quote Post
NeoJudas
post Mar 25 2005, 04:15 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 106

QUOTE (GunnerJ)
Well, there's something odd about how there's only 6 worthwhile combat spells: manabolt, manaball, powerbolt, powerball, stunbolt, stunball. Actually, I never take manabolt or ball when I can take the stun varieties.

Hrm... whatever happened to "Delayed Death" or whatever it was from the supplement?

+Quote Post
NeoJudas
post Mar 25 2005, 04:28 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Manabolt is useful when astrally projecting, since it can actually destroy a spirit, not just disrupt. I think Wards and other astral barriers cannot be hurt by stun spells, but not quite sure about the former.

Anyway, Spiritball is a wonderful spell if you deal with summoners and astral attack packs.

Spells cannot "attack" Astral Barriers likes Wards or other Spells (Astral Barrier, Spell Barrier). I have a vague memory of Stun Spells not effecting spirits because they can't be stunned (someone correct me if I am wrong please). I do agree that it is good however for astral related engagements where direct combat (Sorcery Combat rules) may/may not be good such as engaging something with Essence Drain).

+Quote Post
NeoJudas
post Mar 25 2005, 04:26 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Regarding the whole "Combat Spell Area" vs. "Manipulation Spell Area", here's our take here on it all. Lucyfersam I believe has the right idea, and perhaps an analogy can help.

Combat spells direct channel magical force into a directly destructive manifestation directly into a target(s). Elemental/Manipulation spells channel the magical force into a secondary effect that then has the opportunity to express its effects upon the area/environment.

When thinking of Combat Spells, think of a Flash Bulb going off in a room. If you are standing in the flash, it reflects across you but if you are behind an obstacle that blocks the bulb's flash from striking you then you do not show up.

When thinking of Manipulation Spells, try to imagine a volume of liquid that is suddenly brought into existence within an area and being sourced from a given/central location. As the volume expands to fill the area, it reaches around corners and flushes out into all associated space. It doesn't strike directly however in some of the associated (not in direct line of sight) space, instead it rushes into it and swirls kind of like a flood of rushing water. If you are sheltered somewhat, you will not take the full effects of the water. If you aren't, then you get struck full on.

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Mar 25 2005, 04:42 AM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 6,046

Spells cannot "attack" Astral Barriers likes Wards or other Spells (Astral Barrier, Spell Barrier).

If that were true, then the spell 'Shattershield' wouldn't make any sense at all.
I have a vague memory of Stun Spells not effecting spirits because they can't be stunned (someone correct me if I am wrong please).

Spirits receiving deadly stun damage [on the physical or astral planes], or deadly physical damage on the physical plain are disrupted (can come back 28 days later). Spirits that get deadly physical damage on the astral plane are destroyed [unless they are free spirits, or possess the hidden life power].

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Mar 25 2005, 04:48 AM
Post #19

Beetle Eater

Page 189, Spirit Combat
Spirits have normal Condition Monitors for tracking damage

And on page 176 it talks about the difference between being killed and disrputed.

Page 176, Astral Objects
If an astral object is targeted with a mana spell, either on the astral or physical plane, it resists using Force for the Damage Resistance Test.  The creator of the barrier or bonder of the focus may add Spell Defense dice to help defend it, no matter where he is.

+Quote Post
Catsnightmare
post Mar 25 2005, 04:50 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 90

QUOTE (NeoJudas)
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Mar 25 2005, 04:08 AM)
Manabolt is useful when astrally projecting, since it can actually destroy a spirit, not just disrupt.  I think Wards and other astral barriers cannot be hurt by stun spells, but not quite sure about the former.

Spells cannot "attack" Astral Barriers likes Wards or other Spells (Astral Barrier, Spell Barrier). I have a vague memory of Stun Spells not effecting spirits because they can't be stunned (someone correct me if I am wrong please). I do agree that it is good however for astral related engagements where direct combat (Sorcery Combat rules) may/may not be good such as engaging something with Essence Drain).

No spell can actually destroy a spirit, only Banishing can do that. Mana bolt/ball, stun bolt/ball and spirit bolt/ball all effect a spirit, as spirits have the normal condition monitors used for tracking damage. Taking Deadly damage either physical or stun will disrupt a spirit sending back to it's home astral plane and unable to return to astral space or the meat world for 28 days minus it's Force. Banishing outright kills it.

+Quote Post
Lucyfersam
post Mar 25 2005, 04:53 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Banishing actually does the same thing as disrupting it, sends it back to its home metaplane (hence the term banishing as opposed to destroying). The only way to destroy a spirit is to take an astral quest to its native plane and engage it in combat in the citadel.

+Quote Post
Catsnightmare
post Mar 25 2005, 05:31 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

QUOTE (Lucyfersam @ Mar 24 2005, 10:53 PM)
Banishing actually does the same thing as disrupting it, sends it back to its home metaplane (hence the term banishing as opposed to destroying).  The only way to destroy a spirit is to take an astral quest to its native plane and engage it in combat in the citadel.

{edited with more detailed info found.}
According to the Banishing section on pg 189 SR3 "If the spirit's Force reaches 0, it is destroyed."
What you stated above only applies for Free Spirits. Trying to banish a Free spirit without it's true name will only disrupt it. To continue to try and permanently destroy a Free spirit you will have to chase it to it's home plane and take it on there. A very dangerous option I might add.

+Quote Post
Lucyfersam
post Mar 25 2005, 05:51 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

That is because the basic book doesn't talk about disruption at all. The rules for disruption in MitS talk about destroyed spirits being disrupted. It only talks about them being destroyed in combat, so I guess just by what they say I can see it going either way, but the fact that it's called banishing, and disruption does use the term destroyed would lead me to say that banishing also disrupts them.

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post Mar 25 2005, 06:23 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,118

The difference between disruption and destruction is largely academic in most situations anyway. If the spirit a guy just summoned is now out of commission for 28 days, rather than simply destroyed, it's still unlikely to be able to serve the purpose it was summoned for. Free spirits are the only exception... I'm sure there's no easier way to get on the permanent bad side of a free spirit than to force it to spend a couple weeks languishing in the metaplanes while its earthly business goes to hell.

+Quote Post
Catsnightmare
post Mar 25 2005, 06:44 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Disruption is coverd in the main book, pg 176 first collumn the last paragraph before Astral Objects.

MitS pg 98 "If a spirit takes Deadly Stun damage in astral combat, or its physical form is destroyed (through Physical or Stun damage) in physical combat, the spirit is disrupted."

"Banished spirits my never be brought back."

A spirit only materialzes and takes a physical form when it has to interact with the material plane. Destrying it's physical form (either by physical combat or by mana/stun/spirit spell) only disrupts it cause a spirit is not a physical entity. It's an astral form/entity. Banishing on the other hand is a direct attack on a spirits true astral self and thus will permanently destroy a spirt.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:41 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.