Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spirit Hunters, Ideas for ^
FenrilKnight
post Mar 26 2005, 07:42 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,083

What kind of options do you guys go for with spirit hunters? I'm thinking more about mundane characters or aspected mages with weird powers, like null adepts. I'm thinking maybe a silver dagger and bullets along with a laser pistol.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mortax
post Mar 26 2005, 08:04 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,950

High willpower and charisma. You might be able to take banishing, I'm not sure. Our first GM allowed it, but as I'm discovering he house ruled a lot without telling us. This is now causeing problems.

Anyway, melee skill. Does a bow and arrow still hurt them?

Flamethrower, watergun (for fire elementals) Tess' blooms (to raise background count.)

Anything that does massive damage. The have immunity normal weapon a good chunk of the time, but a vindicator with ex ex will still have a shot at hurting it.

hmmm, will think more.

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Mar 26 2005, 09:50 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 6,734

Actually the Seven Samurai Archetypes had a Bug Hunter (for hunting bug spirits). A lot of those skills were anti-spirit as well, you might want to take a look at em. Don't have the link right now, so somebody else will have to link it.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Mar 26 2005, 11:35 AM
Post #4

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

QUOTE (Mortax)

Anything that does massive damage. The have immunity normal weapon a good chunk of the time, but a vindicator with ex ex will still have a shot at hurting it.

Just don't try that on a fire elemental. I see bad things happening with the Engulf power. kamikaze elementals!

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Mar 27 2005, 05:08 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,323

I made a witch hunter character once... int and will were both 6 or higher, and I gave him dual natured (10 point SURGE flaw) but magic resistance 4 and astral hazing. While he could be targeted from the astral, target numbers for most spells were 10 or higher, making him extreamly resistant, and the background count he generated helped too.

I went with shotguns for damage... with rocksalt or Big D rounds they do quite a bit.

JaronK

+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 27 2005, 05:39 AM
Post #6

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Lasers work. Tasers work (personally I'd go with tasers, electrical damage work better against certain spirits, ok... so the damage is stun, big deal). Flamethrowers, yeah, they're nice too (be careful not to damage the fuel tank).

But being an Otaku works surprisingly well too. Eat Willpower 9 and Charisma 11!

+Quote Post
Mortax
post Mar 27 2005, 05:39 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,950

Just don't try that on a fire elemental

That's what the high power water cannon is for. :-)
And by that I mean fire hydrent.

+Quote Post
Mr Cjelli
post Mar 27 2005, 06:06 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 6,976

You'll have to bite the bullet and get some sort of magical ability or be otherwise able to astrally perceive (ghoul, shapeshifter, SURGEling, cyber zombie if your GM is completely insane) if you want to hunt spirits besides shedim and bug spirits since they can just de-materialize. The only way I know of for completely mundane character to hurt a spirit on the astral is with FAB, and that is way too slow and opens a whole can of worms, or rampant awakened bacteria if you will.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Mar 27 2005, 06:25 AM
Post #9

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

Adept with a rating 10 virtuoso performace created. Oh, hello there mr fire elemental, let me start ballroom dancing. *adept dances, elemental is enthralled*. Unless elementals force is > 12, elemental poofs. Adept stops dancing.

+Quote Post
FenrilKnight
post Mar 27 2005, 07:16 AM
Post #10

Target

Love the ideas, especially the Dual Natured flaw. Can you astrally perceive or are you just dual? I'm thinking of a Van Helsing or D type char (I can hear the groans already :D ) with some kick a$$ weapons, some weird powers and dressed in a black hat and black long coat. Like I mentioned before, what about this?

Null Adepts and Negamages.

Thanks for the ideas!

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 27 2005, 07:28 AM
Post #11

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Dual Natured means not only can you Astrally Perceive, but you take no penalties for performing non-magical tasks while doing so.

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Mar 27 2005, 08:22 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Actually, that witch hunter was based on Van Helsing...

If you're dual natured, you're always astrally percieving, but you don't take the usual +2 TN penalty for mundane actions. This makes the character able to see through any illusion, and detect any spell. Of course, you can be attacked by purely astral targets without being able to fight back unless they enter melee, which is why it's a flaw.

JaronK

+Quote Post
FenrilKnight
post Mar 27 2005, 08:20 AM
Post #13

Target

The magic resistance helped didn't it? I'm sure the astral hazing worked too. I hear lasers are really good against spirits.
This char of mine would also hunt down rogue paranormals as well such as vamps and wendigo's.

How effective was your char JaronK? Did he get his butt kicked or did he do the kicking?

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Mar 27 2005, 09:51 AM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

(personally I'd go with tasers, electrical damage work better against certain spirits, ok... so the damage is stun, big deal).

I thought spirits were unaffected by stun?

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Mar 27 2005, 10:11 AM
Post #15

Uncle Fisty

Here's a question:

How does a taser work on a water elemental?

+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 27 2005, 11:13 AM
Post #16

Canon Companion

If spirits are unaffected by stun, perhaps you'll tell me the difference between disrupted and destroyed?

How does a taser work on a water elemental? The normal way I suppose. I'm afraid I do not quite grasp the point of your question.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Mar 27 2005, 11:26 AM
Post #17

Uncle Fisty

sorry, I mean, is the electrical damage damage harder to resist because they are made of water. more conductive..whatever

I knew someone would say something like that. ;)
I was expecting more like "you shoot it, it hits"

+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 27 2005, 11:31 AM
Post #18

Canon Companion

I understand, but there is no additional damage to water elementals due to electrical damage. The only thing related is that electrical spells become area effect in water.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Mar 27 2005, 11:35 AM
Post #19

Uncle Fisty

I guess it wouldn't matter since they don't exactly have armor anyways.

Except great forms.

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Mar 27 2005, 04:40 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,630

I'll probably be flamed so badly because of this that I'll need hospitalization, but all I have to say is:

"Who you gonna call?"

:P

Back on-topic, though:

toturi:

Regarding what you said about electricity and Water Elementals, would a cold- or heat-based weapon or spell work?

I realize that it would probably take a LOT of either to incapacitate a Great Form Elemental-- even temporarily--but could it be done?

--Foreigner

+Quote Post
Dawnshadow
post Mar 27 2005, 04:42 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,086

Foreigner, I'm sorry, but we must now cook you alive and serve you up as a stew ;)

Or, at very least, groan, whimper and possibly weep.

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Mar 27 2005, 04:57 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,630

Dawnshadow:

Stick to the "groan, whimper, and possibly weep" part.

Between the scar tissue (twenty-plus surgeries for my various ailments) and the weight problem caused by my love of good food, I suspect that what didn't boil off during the cooking process would be rather tough--if not completely inedible. Not to mention that I'd probably taste pretty bad because of the drugs I have to take just to function somewhat normally.

If anything at all was left, I don't think that even a starving cannibal would enjoy it.

However, ghouls and the like (the various Essence-stealers, for example) are another matter.

:)

--Foreigner

+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 27 2005, 05:06 PM
Post #23

Canon Companion

The thing to remember about materialised spirits is that they have Immunity to Normal Weapons. So if you can convince your GM that the weapon you are using is not Normal, then it is useful against materialised spirits. What I have suggested are the usual weapons that GMs consider to be not Normal. Some other suggested weapons may be grenades (blast damage), gyrojet pistol (blast damage), liquid nitrogen (cold damage).

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Mar 27 2005, 07:01 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (FenrilKnight)
The magic resistance helped didn't it? I'm sure the astral hazing worked too. I hear lasers are really good against spirits.
This char of mine would also hunt down rogue paranormals as well such as vamps and wendigo's.

How effective was your char JaronK? Did he get his butt kicked or did he do the kicking?

The magic resistance meant he couldn't easily be bombarded from long range by astral targets, but they could still do it. They could just fire off Force 6 deadly Stunbolts, making sure to keep plenty of dice for resisting drain, and hope to get lucky. You're going to roll a 10 eventually, and he might not resist it. He didn't really have a good way to counter this.

Otherwise, however, he absolutely rocked.

JaronK

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 27 2005, 09:19 PM
Post #25

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Elementals are not listed as being immune (or even resistant) to their own element in canon. Technically a water Cannon works quite well against a Water Elemental, while a Flame Thrower is still a valid choice of weapon against a Fire Elemental. The only consideration is whether the attack is considered to be Elemental in nature.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:09 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.