Post #1

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

pg. 80 M&M - compatability
"Synaptic Accelerator
This bioware is not compatible with Wired Reflexes or Move-by-Wire systems."

SR FAQ
"Can a character have both a synaptic accelerator and boosted reflexes and gain the bonuses from both? What about a synaptic accelerator and reaction enhancers?
Yes to both. "

Ok, so they can be damn fast. Scary fast ("Scary tree, I'm afraid!").

So with wired reflexes, a character often reacts before he's even aware sometimes. Such as pulling a gun and shooting if someone enters a room loudly, and they're a bit edgy. Hence the reflex trigger.

Move-by-Wire - constant state of seizure. Always ready to go. Doesn't really state over reacting like with wired reflexes. Side effets though, not fully explored (maybe they'll know by SR4)

What about this mess of relfexes though? If you've got reaction enhancements 6, Boosted reflexes3, and synaptic accelerator 2, that's what.... +8 +5d6 to initiative. No way to turn it off. "Boosted reflexes cannot be removed once installed".

So does this guy REALLY flip out when there's a loud bang? Is he totally kosher? Where's the downside? BRef 3 -2.8E (I think, no book handy)
Rc Enh6 - 1.8 E
Syn Acc2 - Bio 1.0

Still plenty of room for other ware, especially with higher grades.

So what would some of the side effects be? Downsides?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 26 2005, 12:32 PM
Post #2

Canon Companion

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,187

Ermm, I think this has been done before. The only flip-out type drawback he'd have is the same as someone with just Boosted of the same level, because Synaptic is natural.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 26 2005, 02:48 PM
Post #3

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

toturi has it right. Only Initiative bonuses from Cyberwear make a character twitchy. Reaction bonuses, or anything gained from Bioware do not factor into this effect.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Mar 26 2005, 03:03 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

I did all the math on the synaptic accelerator + boosted combo a while back during a discussion on MBW and whether it's underpowered for its costs in cash and essence. To be honest, looking at the sums, I could seriously see even Wired Reflexes falling out of favour in comparison, given the cheaper essence and nuyen costs, at least amongst the shadow community. That the synaptic accelerator doesn't figure towards the "twitchiness" problem only increases that likelihood.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Mar 26 2005, 03:13 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

You can do that yes but you could still have the reaction enhancers with the wired reflexes resulting in natural reaction+12+4d6 average = +28

Your combination gave natural reaction +8+5d6 average = +25.5

Wired reflexes provide a slightly better bonus, you decide wether t is worth eth essence.

Edward

+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 26 2005, 03:15 PM
Post #6

Canon Companion

With a higher Reaction, you get a better at Surprise Tests too. Just something to bear in mind.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Mar 26 2005, 03:17 PM
Post #7

Running Target

WR 3 + RE 6 = 6.80 Essence. You would have to have minimum alpha-grade cyberware to fit it all in, skyrocketing the nuyyen cost even further (to a total of :nuyen: 1720000). For the relatively tiny edge in advantage, it really isn't worth it imho, but of course YMMV

+Quote Post
Edward
post Mar 26 2005, 03:36 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

It just depends how much shooting first matters to you.

Of cause if you really want to go first you can stack MBW 4 with reaction enhancers 6 enhanced articulation cerebral booster 2 muscle toner 4 and starting int 6 & qui 8 (elf exceptional attribute qui).

If memory serves that is initiative of 25+5d6 min 30 av 42.5 max 55.

And then another 3 dice can be had from a drug cocktail if you don’t mind the risks.

And somehow you need to fit it all in a body without killing it

Edward

+Quote Post
Capt. Dave
post Mar 26 2005, 09:44 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,183

Unfortunately, MBW won't stack with any other reaction or initiative enhancing bio or cyberware, so the reaction enhancements are out.

EDIT: Technically, since enhanced articulation gives a +1 to reaction, it'd be out, too.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Mar 27 2005, 12:30 AM
Post #10

Running Target

I'd probably let enhanced articualtion go; it seems to fit so well with the MBW.

+Quote Post
Charon
post Mar 27 2005, 01:03 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 7,087

Yeah, I don't like that combination of boosted and synaptic.

I houserule that you can just use one initiative enhancer. I think they balance well on their but that the Syn + boosted is just too cost efficient and screws with game balance. I have yet to see a canon NPC stated with Synaptic + Boosted, as a matter of fact.

Wired Reflex : Baseline
MBW : Best, most expensive
Boosted : Cheapest
Synaptic : Least cost efficient, Hardest to detect

There, they all have their role and I have all seen them in use in my various campaign. I don't like to see two of them combined to upset that balance. Boosted + Synaptic is IMO too cost efficient.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Mar 27 2005, 04:35 AM
Post #12

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

Thanks for the feed back.

I did bother to do a quick search before posting, but didn't find specifically what I was looking for. 'Preciate it.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 27 2005, 04:33 AM
Post #13

Canon Companion

QUOTE (Charon)
Yeah, I don't like that combination of boosted and synaptic.

I houserule that you can just use one initiative enhancer. I think they balance well on their but that the Syn + boosted is just too cost efficient and screws with game balance. I have yet to see a canon NPC stated with Synaptic + Boosted, as a matter of fact.

Wired Reflex : Baseline
MBW : Best, most expensive
Boosted : Cheapest
Synaptic : Least cost efficient, Hardest to detect

There, they all have their role and I have all seen them in use in my various campaign. I don't like to see two of them combined to upset that balance. Boosted + Synaptic is IMO too cost efficient.

The combination of Synaptic and Boosted is by-the-book legal, but you already knew that. I don't think that it is too cost efficient. You get what you pay for.

+Quote Post
Mortax
post Mar 27 2005, 04:51 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,950

Unfortunately, MBW won't stack with any other reaction or initiative enhancing bio or cyberware, so the reaction enhancements are out.

It states in Cybertech that you can get a lvl 1 synaptic accell for 4 times the caost with you're MBW as long as you get them installed at the same time.

Expensive, but gives a large bonus. Cyberzombies might be the only ones to use it.

As to the side effects of MBW, they are also listed in detail in cybertech. Basically, have a high wilpower and natural body or you are going to end up relating to the world on the level of the family dog.

+Quote Post
Charon
post Mar 27 2005, 05:16 AM
Post #15

Running Target

Well, let's compare :

Synaptic Accelerator 2 + bossted 3

Cost : 290 000 :nuyen:
Essence + BE : 3.8
Initiative : 4D6+2 (Avg : 16)

Wired 3

Cost : 500 000 :nuyen:
Essence : 5
Initiative : 3D6+6 (Avg : 16.5)

Using Wired 3 as baseline, Synaptic 2 + Bossted 3 is :

42% cheaper moneywise
24% cheaper essencewise
3% slower

Wired 3 costs 30 303 :nuyen: per average point of initiative it provides and .3 essence for the same.

Boosted 3 + Synaptic 2 costs 18 205 :nuyen: per average point of initiative it provides and .24 essence for the same.

A final way to look at it is that Wired 3 cost an additional 210 000 :nuyen: and 1.2 in essence to give you on average an additional .5 in initiative. (Edit) On the upside, Wired 3 do not increase the TN of disease and healing by 1.

Still, I think Synaptic + Boosted is much too cost efficient.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 27 2005, 05:17 AM
Post #16

Canon Companion

Factoring in Bioware drawbacks and differences in Stress damage for bioware and cyber, it is not too cost (edit)efficient.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Mar 27 2005, 05:23 AM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

also when considering wether or not it fits in your body with eth rest of your augmentations wired reflexes can be graded (and starting at 5 points your going to want to grade a wired 3) but the synaptic accelerator can not and the boosted reflexes can not be removed so you cant replace it with a better grade latter.

That has to be worth something in the final evaluation

Edward

+Quote Post
Charon
post Mar 27 2005, 05:37 AM
Post #18

Running Target

QUOTE (toturi)
Factoring in Bioware drawbacks and differences in Stress damage for bioware and cyber, it is not too cost inefficient.

You probably means it's not too cost efficient, right?

I can't presume of how much bioware someone will get. If that's the only point of bioware he has, the draw back are not that severe. If he has more, you must only consider the marginal difference.

For example, if the PC intended to buy 1 point worth of bioware anyway beyond the synaptic accelrator, the disadvantage need not even be considered in the synpatic cost.

Anway, I have edited my previous post. I still think it's way too cost efficient and that most people would chose that option if aware of it.

+Quote Post
Charon
post Mar 27 2005, 05:36 AM
Post #19

Running Target

QUOTE (Edward @ Mar 27 2005, 12:23 AM)
also when considering wether or not it fits in your body with eth rest of your augmentations wired reflexes can be graded (and starting at 5 points your going to want to grade a wired 3) but the synaptic accelerator can not and the boosted reflexes can not be removed so you cant replace it with a better grade latter.

Edward

Not really, IMO.

In my example, both system are bought at max rating so ugradeability is a minor concern.

Boosted can in fact be bought Alpha right from the start and the total cost is still less than a wired 3 so you can do that if you want.

The odds of you wanting to upgrade further to Beta or Delta are slim because the cost is hardly worth the trade even if you could. I've never seen it in my campaign so the value of upgradability at that point is slim to none.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Mar 27 2005, 06:22 AM
Post #20

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

You can get boosted removed through genetech, but its costly.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Mar 27 2005, 07:04 AM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Charon)
QUOTE (Edward @ Mar 27 2005, 12:23 AM)

Edward

Not really, IMO.

In my example, both system are bought at max rating so ugradeability is a minor concern.

Boosted can in fact be bought Alpha right from the start and the total cost is still less than a wired 3 so you can do that if you want.

The odds of you wanting to upgrade further to Beta or Delta are slim because the cost is hardly worth the trade even if you could. I've never seen it in my campaign so the value of upgradability at that point is slim to none.

It will depend on the life of your character. In a long running game a samy will want to increase his capabilities including having more bits of cyber wear, this usually means replacing existing cyber wear with the same item at a better grade. I have seen this done several times after a well paying run, although not yet with something as expensive as wired reflexes 3 or to a grade better than Alfa if the game lasts long enough it will almost certainly happen.

The fact that you can not do this with ether a synaptic accelerator or boosted reflexes (without the very expensive gen tech) is a signifigent disadvantage. Probably not worth the huge difference in cost that currently stands but worth something.

Edward

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 27 2005, 07:16 AM
Post #22

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

With the addition of a Reflex Trigger, you can turn Wired Reflexes off and on. You can't do that with Boosted (or the Synaptic Accelerator, but that's immaterial). Therefore a person with Boosted is always twitchy, which is an additional drawback.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Mar 27 2005, 08:15 AM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

That, and the higher Reaction for surprise tests, are the main advantages of wired reflexes. Plus, without the synaptic accelerator, that's another point of Bio that you can stick in there.

The boosted reflexes: 3/synaptic accelerator: 2/reaction enhancer: 6 combo is a pretty good one for speed sammies (perhaps with some muscle toner and/or enhanced articulation added). But never throw that sammie a "surprise birthday party". :D

+Quote Post
SpasticTeapot
post Mar 27 2005, 08:09 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,893

Well, I seem to have goofed on my definition of Improved Reflexes.
However, the problem of PhysAd cyber-munchies still remains. If an adept manages to Geas away a few points of cyberware, he or she could use the bioware/boosted reflexes combination listed above...and still have 5 or 6 points left to pump dice into things like shotgun skill. 12 dice at character creation is a scary thought, if I may say so myself, especially considering that any PhysAd that uses cyberware and guns is going to have a smartlink and/or a scope. And, of course, PhysAds have that nifty ability to do things like negating damage penalties that ordinarily require expensive bioware.

Of course, there's always my solution to this problem: How can a PhysAd with a heck of a lot of cyberware/bioware find someone to intitiate with? According to MITS, physads and other magic users with cyberware are generally shunned away from magical groups unless they have a REALLY good reason for it. (Natural blindness, for example.) Because of the higher karma cost for initiating by one's self, cybermunchies will quickly be left behind by physads with absurdly high magic ratings.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Mar 27 2005, 08:53 AM
Post #25

Running Target

Of all the things i want to see dead and buried in SR4, geasing away an adept's magic loss for taking cyber is top of the pile. It should be skinned alive, rolled in salt and thrown into the deepest pits of hell.

Not that I feel strongly about this one or anything ;)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:46 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.