IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tactical computer for my desktop, ... in canon rules?
hermit
post Mar 28 2005, 05:18 PM
Post #1

The King In Yellow

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,121

I remember vaguely that Cybertech referred to the tactical computer being avaliable as hardware too, as opposed to an implant. While useless for most characters, riggers might find that pretty useful to own on top of the control deck, especially when combined with IVIS and small unit tactics. The question is, where are stats for such a thing, or rather, are there even any?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 28 2005, 05:32 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,670

no stats for it ever came out.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 28 2005, 05:43 PM
Post #3

The King In Yellow

Damn. Too bad. Any suggestions on stats?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 28 2005, 05:50 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i'd just use the stats in the book. you can already link other peoples' (or drones') senses to your taccomp via radio. just feed the taccomp's conclusions and suggestions back on another radio channel.

though i'd reduce the rating of the taccomp by 2 or so for every extra person who wanted the taccomp bonus. the taccomp is dedicated to laying out the best combat options for a single user; mutliple users should increase its processor load and decrease its effectiveness.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 28 2005, 06:06 PM
Post #5

The King In Yellow

Still, a mighty cool little gadget. :)

I fear my GM will get this for every military hit squad, though. Nasty thought :S

+Quote Post
Lantzer
post Mar 28 2005, 10:50 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,335

I've worked up the non-cyber BattleTac system beore, but not the actual Tactical Computer. I always figured the non-cyber BattleTac Master didn't give the extra bonuses beyond the + to Small Unit Tactics. I had to use 3 books (M&M, CC, Rigger3) to extrapolate the non-cyber BattleTac.

I'm not sure, to be honest, if I'd make the non-cyber full computer available - I think what makes the tactical computer so good is its intimate connection to your nervous/sensory system.

YMMV. Good luck.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 28 2005, 11:05 PM
Post #7

The King In Yellow

I'm not sure, to be honest, if I'd make the non-cyber full computer available - I think what makes the tactical computer so good is its intimate connection to your nervous/sensory system.

Even then, if integrated into a cyberdeck or rigger control deck, it would give significant boni when jacked in. In always liked the concept, but to have this thing constantly in your head only makes a character completely antisocial. And the essence cost is quite high, too.

+Quote Post
Lantzer
post Mar 28 2005, 11:14 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,335

Tell you the truth, hermit, I've always wanted to make a Tactical Comp. for matrix running. It should be a lot easier to build than one for the meat world. Or is there simply not enough bandwidth to handle the data requirements for an assist that is better than that given by the encephalon+Math SPU?

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 28 2005, 11:31 PM
Post #9

The King In Yellow

Oh, sure, there is bandwidth, but is rather wasted on system sculpturing and UV hosts with real-life quality resolution. :P

I sure hope that tactical matrix comp makes it to SR4. Put it into that request thread! That way the devs at least get to see it.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Mar 29 2005, 11:47 AM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

A non DNI tactical computer would be of limited value but integrated into a RCD or as a external DNI device (linked threw a data jack) I would say it ways 1kg in RCD or 3kg on its own (now it is needing a separate power supply and casing) costs half as much as the implant (borrowing pricing from the transducer) and gives the full bonus of the internal system. It can only be used by a single individual (no sharing as radio comes are not fast enough to access it)

Also for the external data jack accessed system it may be required that you hav some display interface to view the data (image link).

The rigger version would not require a image link but would require that you be jacked in, ether in captains char or direct controlling a drone.

Edward

+Quote Post
SpasticTeapot
post Mar 30 2005, 05:58 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,893

I say that an external tactical system, or even one placed in a vehicle itself. makes sense for a rigger. After all, you're not going to get any benifits from connecting it to your eyes and ears; it's relying on information from whatever you're controlling at the time. This may even give a bonus if it's custom-installed in a vehicle; if a computer can access every bit of data about the situation (such as the amount of gas in the tank or total engine horsepower) it has a much better ability to use the data.

Also, a small unit implanted in each drone to send data to the parent tactical controller (which would cost a lot more than the basic model) would allow it to use info from each drone...even when it's not being directly controlled. This would allow for more efficient formations, and it would help the rigger to remember not to allow his or her drones to run out of juice. (Large, well-armed paperweights have been proven to be useless in a fight.)

Now, if I only knew what a BattleTac/Tactical Computer actually did. Oh, the joys of owning expensive rulebooks....

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:55 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.