IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Questions we'd like answered in the FAQ....
DragginSPADE
post Mar 28 2005, 08:30 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,119

I've got a couple of questions for the developers concerning SR4, and I know others do as well. I haven't had time to read through all the threads on this board, so some of these questions might be redundant but here goes.

1. Is the core rules mechanic in SR4 going to remain the same? i.e. roll a number of dice equal to your skill or attribute against a TN and count how many of the dice are successful.

2. Will there be dice pools in SR4?

3. Has the Saito situation been resolved in the CFS by 2070?

4. Will any of the AAA megacorps die or become significantly stronger due to the matrix crash?

Those are a few of the questions I'd like to see answered on the FAQ/blog. What are the rest of you curious about?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Mar 28 2005, 08:28 PM
Post #2

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

1. & 2. i think these have been commented on by adam and others here on the forum. i dont think we will get much more info about is so as to not drop the big one on the fanbase to soon.

3. & 4. most likely this will be coverd in system crash/failure (dont recall the name properly) and cant be commented on right now so as to not spoil the surprise...

+Quote Post
Toa
post Mar 28 2005, 09:27 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,068

Will there be a complete rehash of the vehicle rules in order to implement them into combat more easily? Will the rules be able to do a shootout chase with different vehicles?

I want my highway action, man. :(

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post Mar 29 2005, 01:25 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 6,690

QUOTE (DragginSPADE)
I've got a couple of questions for the developers concerning SR4, and I know others do as well. I haven't had time to read through all the threads on this board, so some of these questions might be redundant but here goes.

1. Is the core rules mechanic in SR4 going to remain the same? i.e. roll a number of dice equal to your skill or attribute against a TN and count how many of the dice are successful.

2. Will there be dice pools in SR4?

3. Has the Saito situation been resolved in the CFS by 2070?

4. Will any of the AAA megacorps die or become significantly stronger due to the matrix crash?

Those are a few of the questions I'd like to see answered on the FAQ/blog. What are the rest of you curious about?

1: Is still under wraps because it's still getting worked out. Anything said today might not be true tomorrow.

2: Ditto.

3: Who knows. Maybe naked mole rats chew his face off. There's a resolution for you.

4: One of the megacorps is going down. I think Novatech is looking likely for this role. To bad, I rather liked Villiers. Art can choke on it.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 29 2005, 01:49 AM
Post #5

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Ares! They've been playing with bug-spirit fire, now it's time for them to bite the big one!

~J

+Quote Post
Lucyfersam
post Mar 29 2005, 03:24 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,137

I would really like to see some comments on what we might expect as far as the magic system is concerned. How much change and the very general nature would be nice...

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 29 2005, 04:45 AM
Post #7

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
One of the megacorps is going down. I think Novatech is looking likely for this role. To bad, I rather liked Villiers. Art can choke on it.

Where do you get this? The info available says that a Corp (probably Novatech) takes drastic measures to stave off disaster. I see a merger with Transys Neuronet in the works.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 29 2005, 04:52 AM
Post #8

Tilting at Windmills

Member No.: 388

QUOTE (Lucyfersam)
I would really like to see some comments on what we might expect as far as the magic system is concerned. How much change and the very general nature would be nice...

There is some degree of change, though I can't go into details right now (mostly because it's not all nailed down as yet). Things will be recognizable, but there will be a bit of a learning curve. There hasn't been a horrendous amount of that in my group's testing so far, however.

We like it. I'm eagerly awaiting the opportunity to tell you about it, but there are still things to nail down before we can do that.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Mar 29 2005, 04:54 AM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

Here's my questions I'd love to have an answers for:

We've heard about a Matrix 2.0 and how Deckers and Riggers are being merged into Hackers, and how Augmented Reality and Wireless connectivity will be the tool that frees Hackers to become mobile digital wizards. How ubiquitous will this Augmented Reality be to the everyday citizen in 2070, and will it require an implant to access? If there is an implant, is there a non-cyberware alternative? And finally, how does all this wireless connectivity impact the SINless?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 29 2005, 05:28 AM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i don't see them making entire lines of cyberware obsolete. my guess is, you'll have a small wireless unit that plugs into either a datajack or a trode rig. hopefully, there will be rules for trode rigs in SR4. you know, minor details like cost and availability.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Mar 29 2005, 03:46 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

Are we going to have more art (pictures) of equipment and other gear in this new edition?

With regards to the touchy hacker/rigger thing, I notice that the post on the SR4 FAQ didn't mention anything about vehicles. If "hackers" can now slice hosts, and control drones, what can they do with vehicles?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 29 2005, 06:13 PM
Post #12

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Bigity)
... what can they do with vehicles?

Drive them?!?

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Mar 29 2005, 06:50 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Haha.

How about, get Control Pool, get TN reductions, get initiative bonuses, gunnery, etc etc.

Or is some "mobile digital wizard" going to be able to perform in a vehicle using a control method similar to captain's chair the same as a 3rd edition jacked-in rigger in direct control?

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Mar 29 2005, 07:49 PM
Post #14

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

QUOTE (Bigity)
Haha.

How about, get Control Pool, get TN reductions, get initiative bonuses, gunnery, etc etc.

Or is some "mobile digital wizard" going to be able to perform in a vehicle using a control method similar to captain's chair the same as a 3rd edition jacked-in rigger in direct control?

My bet is that they will be able to "jump into" vehicles and control them to [a rigger degree] based on the power of their [simsense rig]. I expect they will have the ability to control hosts and vehicles in a captains chair mode, but to be truly powerful with one specific thing they will need to "jump into" it (host or drone which I expect will be the same thing). It's more that they're replacing the Matrix with CCSS than vice versa.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Mar 29 2005, 08:42 PM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (Bigity)
With regards to the touchy hacker/rigger thing, I notice that the post on the SR4 FAQ didn't mention anything about vehicles.

Which post were you talking about? It certainly can't be this one (I've added underlining on the relevant section):

Q. Will riggers be combined with deckers/hackers?
A. Yes, we are removing the distinction between them. This does not mean riggers will go away — there will still be hackers who specialize in drones, vehicle operations, or security systems. But the protocols, technology, and game mechanics behind them will be the same.

+Quote Post
Lucyfersam
post Mar 29 2005, 09:04 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,137

I kind of like the thought that a universal simrig would replace the VCR and be necessary for VR computer work. It always kind of bothered me how much VR IO just a datajack could provide.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Mar 29 2005, 09:16 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (Bigity)
With regards to the touchy hacker/rigger thing, I notice that the post on the SR4 FAQ didn't mention anything about vehicles.

Which post were you talking about? It certainly can't be this one (I've added underlining on the relevant section):

Q. Will riggers be combined with deckers/hackers?
A. Yes, we are removing the distinction between them. This does not mean riggers will go away — there will still be hackers who specialize in drones, vehicle operations, or security systems. But the protocols, technology, and game mechanics behind them will be the same.

It was. Obviously I missed it. :grinbig:

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Mar 30 2005, 01:06 AM
Post #18

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Lucyfersam)
I kind of like the thought that a universal simrig would replace the VCR and be necessary for VR computer work. It always kind of bothered me how much VR IO just a datajack could provide.

well i had the theory that the VCR is there not only to control a vehicle but to allow the driver/pilot to survive the high Gs that SR vehicles was able to produce at the extreme end :rotfl:

and a simrig was never used for playback, only for recording. still, i would have thought that a simple implant at the base of the skull, intercepting any IO between the brain and the spinal cord would be all that was needed. that is outside of audio, visual and smell/taste tho as they go directly to the brain...

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Mar 30 2005, 02:55 AM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

How about these for some straight-forward yet vague-enough-not-to-break-an-NDA questions:

1) Is the new dice mechanic at present completely different from the current one, or is it at least familiar?

2) If it is different, how much of a learning curve was there when it was first introduced to you and how do you, personally, like it compared to the old one?

3) Are Attributes and Skills of equal merit to the new system for purposes of task resolution, or is one (you don't have to say which one) clearly more dominant position to the other as far as determing success is concerned?

4) If the mechanic is new, is the curve it creates an actual curve, or a freaky convolted mess like the current mechanic?

And finally, and most importantly to me: 5) If it is a new mechanic, is it fun? And if you had to choose between the two mechanics, which one would you rather use?

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 30 2005, 04:56 AM
Post #20

Tilting at Windmills

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Mar 29 2005, 08:55 PM)
How about these for some straight-forward yet vague-enough-not-to-break-an-NDA questions:

1)  Is the new dice mechanic at present completely different from the current one, or is it at least familiar?

It is different, but it's familiar.
2)  If it is different, how much of a learning curve was there when it was first introduced to you and how do you, personally, like it compared to the old one?

There was a slight learning curve, but not excessive IMO. It took a couple of times remembering that things were different so that I could grab the appropriate dice, but that flattened out pretty quickly and easily for me. I like the new mechanic, but I kind of liked the old one, too. Of the two, I think I still like the old mechanic better, but that could also be 16 years of familiarity talking at the moment.
3)  Are Attributes and Skills of equal merit to the new system for purposes of task resolution, or is one (you don't have to say which one) clearly more dominant position to the other as far as determing success is concerned?

In my limited experience with it so far, they appear to be pretty equal to me.
4)  If the mechanic is new, is the curve it creates an actual curve, or a freaky convoluted mess like the current mechanic?

You're going to have to leave the statistics to someone with a higher pay grade than mine; my job doesn't call for statistical analysis, and I've never been good at it anyway.
And finally, and most importantly to me:  5)  If it is a new mechanic, is it fun?  And if you had to choose between the two mechanics, which one would you rather use?

It is fun; I've been having a blast, outside of the normal pitfalls you're going to get whenever you're playtesting things of this nature. While I still have 16 years telling me that the old mechanic is just fine, I think this one will move things a little faster. At least it has with my group.

Does that help?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 30 2005, 05:09 AM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

interesting.

+Quote Post
Deamon_Knight
post Mar 30 2005, 05:01 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,784

Actually, anyone else more worried that the Mage/Shaman identities will be folded together, like the Decker/Rigger move? In the interest of streamlining, those two probably have more in common than Riggers and Deckers.

Maybe I'm just crazy though.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 30 2005, 05:13 AM
Post #23

Tilting at Windmills

QUOTE (Deamon_Knight)
Actually, anyone else more worried that the Mage/Shaman identities will be folded together, like the Decker/Rigger move? In the interest of streamlining, those two probably have more in common than Riggers and Deckers.

Maybe I'm just crazy though.

Do you folks really have so little faith in us? Do you really think we're doing things to screw up the game that we love as much as you do? No, on second thought, maybe you shouldn't answer that, since I'm not sure I'd like the answer.

Mages and shamen will still be themselves.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 30 2005, 05:14 AM
Post #24

Tilting at Windmills

One-word replies make me nervous, mfb. Could you elaborate slightly?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 30 2005, 05:11 AM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

oh my god! he didn't mention adepts! THAT MEANS THEY"RE GONNA BE TURNED INTO CATGIRLS!

damn you!

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:32 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.