IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Questions we'd like answered in the FAQ....
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 30 2005, 04:56 AM
Post #20

Tilting at Windmills

Group: Members
Member No.: 388

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Mar 29 2005, 08:55 PM)
How about these for some straight-forward yet vague-enough-not-to-break-an-NDA questions:

1)  Is the new dice mechanic at present completely different from the current one, or is it at least familiar?

It is different, but it's familiar.
2)  If it is different, how much of a learning curve was there when it was first introduced to you and how do you, personally, like it compared to the old one?

There was a slight learning curve, but not excessive IMO. It took a couple of times remembering that things were different so that I could grab the appropriate dice, but that flattened out pretty quickly and easily for me. I like the new mechanic, but I kind of liked the old one, too. Of the two, I think I still like the old mechanic better, but that could also be 16 years of familiarity talking at the moment.
3)  Are Attributes and Skills of equal merit to the new system for purposes of task resolution, or is one (you don't have to say which one) clearly more dominant position to the other as far as determing success is concerned?

In my limited experience with it so far, they appear to be pretty equal to me.
4)  If the mechanic is new, is the curve it creates an actual curve, or a freaky convoluted mess like the current mechanic?

You're going to have to leave the statistics to someone with a higher pay grade than mine; my job doesn't call for statistical analysis, and I've never been good at it anyway.
And finally, and most importantly to me:  5)  If it is a new mechanic, is it fun?  And if you had to choose between the two mechanics, which one would you rather use?

It is fun; I've been having a blast, outside of the normal pitfalls you're going to get whenever you're playtesting things of this nature. While I still have 16 years telling me that the old mechanic is just fine, I think this one will move things a little faster. At least it has with my group.

Does that help?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 30 2005, 05:09 AM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

interesting.

+Quote Post
Deamon_Knight
post Mar 30 2005, 05:01 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,784

Actually, anyone else more worried that the Mage/Shaman identities will be folded together, like the Decker/Rigger move? In the interest of streamlining, those two probably have more in common than Riggers and Deckers.

Maybe I'm just crazy though.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 30 2005, 05:13 AM
Post #23

Tilting at Windmills

QUOTE (Deamon_Knight)
Actually, anyone else more worried that the Mage/Shaman identities will be folded together, like the Decker/Rigger move? In the interest of streamlining, those two probably have more in common than Riggers and Deckers.

Maybe I'm just crazy though.

Do you folks really have so little faith in us? Do you really think we're doing things to screw up the game that we love as much as you do? No, on second thought, maybe you shouldn't answer that, since I'm not sure I'd like the answer.

Mages and shamen will still be themselves.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 30 2005, 05:14 AM
Post #24

Tilting at Windmills

One-word replies make me nervous, mfb. Could you elaborate slightly?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 30 2005, 05:11 AM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

oh my god! he didn't mention adepts! THAT MEANS THEY"RE GONNA BE TURNED INTO CATGIRLS!

damn you!

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 30 2005, 05:13 AM
Post #26

Tilting at Windmills

QUOTE (mfb)
oh my god! he didn't mention adepts! THAT MEANS THEY"RE GONNA BE TURNED INTO CATGIRLS!

damn you!

Looks like someone's been talking out of school....

:grinbig:

+Quote Post
Penta
post Mar 30 2005, 05:22 AM
Post #27

Shooting Target

Member No.: 500

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
There was a slight learning curve, but not excessive IMO. It took a couple of times remembering that things were different so that I could grab the appropriate dice, but that flattened out pretty quickly and easily for me. I like the new mechanic, but I kind of liked the old one, too. Of the two, I think I still like the old mechanic better, but that could also be 16 years of familiarity talking at the moment.

Ack!

Please, let that not mean what I think it means...

They're not moving away from generic D6s, are they?

+Quote Post
Deamon_Knight
post Mar 30 2005, 05:25 AM
Post #28

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,784

Sorry Pat, I'm a Cynic and a Pessimist. Things like "new and improved" and "streamlined" sound good, but with the likes of New Coke and New Starwars Movies flying about like so much crap in the wind, New makes me nervous.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 30 2005, 05:37 AM
Post #29

Immortal Elf

as i understand it, the d6 will still have a strong place in SR4. for instance, it's used for shortsword damage, and also determines the Invisible Way adept's hp per level.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Mar 30 2005, 05:34 AM
Post #30

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Does mfb rock?

If I roll a 10 or above, then yes

+Quote Post
Larsine
post Mar 30 2005, 06:21 AM
Post #31

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,604

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
It took a couple of times remembering that things were different so that I could grab the appropriate dice

Does this mean that there are different types of dice?

Lars

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 30 2005, 06:22 AM
Post #32

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

Could mean different *numbers* of dice, which would indicate that attributes have something to do with skill (which would be interesting, to say the least.)

+Quote Post
BIGTasty
post Mar 30 2005, 06:32 AM
Post #33

Target

Member No.: 7,267

First post here on Dumpshock, but SR4 has me worried and happy at the same time. I've been a fan of the setting for around 7 years now but I never actually got to get together with my RPG group and play till just a few weeks ago. And we've been having a ball ever since, we incorporate an online website and message board into our roleplaying when we can't be at the table (we are using the message board as an in-game BBS where the players post as various characters talking about the Shadowrun world and events happening as well as posting in character roleplaying). But I do have a few questions about 4th edition, having just started learning 3rd edition (in fact our first game was a few days before the announcement of SR4).

For one thing, I'm glad for the new streamlined rules, having 4 different systems for various things in one RPG is very hard to learn. My major headache is decking and rigging glad those will be simplified together. Magic seems fine the way it is, almost the same as ranged combat. Melee combat hasn't come up much so far though so I don't know what problems that will entail.

Question #1) A favorite part of the matrix of mine is the Otaku. Will they be staying on and in what capacity with the dawn of the augmented reality Matrix 2.0?

Question #2) Will the Matrix 2.0 be more like the Astral plane where a hacker will shift over while leaving his physical body behind and do things like jack into a nearby computer or take control of a nearby camera and what not? That's what I think of when I hear the term digital wizard.

Question #3) Not a question, a demand. Don't kill Novatech, they are my favorite megacorp. We ran First Run and got to meet Richard Villiers and he was nice to us, don't let anything happen to him!

Question #3) Any chances of giving us some info on some hot new tech in the more distant future of SR4? What has developed? Plasma weapons or something like that?

Question #4) Any new types of goblinization or SURGE, any new metavariants or new races in general?

Question #5) Is it possible for dragons to deck/hack yet?

Thanks for your time!

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post Mar 30 2005, 07:28 AM
Post #34

Running Target

Member No.: 6,690

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Could mean different *numbers* of dice, which would indicate that attributes have something to do with skill (which would be interesting, to say the least.)

I read that as meaning the number of dice thrown was different than what he was used to.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Mar 30 2005, 07:39 AM
Post #35

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
It took a couple of times remembering that things were different so that I could grab the appropriate dice, but that flattened out pretty quickly and easily for me.

OMFG, it's going to be color coded d6s like the Immortal: The Invisible War
RPG used color coded d10s.

(it's amazing the rumors one can start when one reads way too much into every little tidbit of information that gets doled out to us, isn't it?)

+Quote Post
Cain
post Mar 30 2005, 07:54 AM
Post #36

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

Question #2) Will the Matrix 2.0 be more like the Astral plane where a hacker will shift over while leaving his physical body behind and do things like jack into a nearby computer or take control of a nearby camera and what not? That's what I think of when I hear the term digital wizard.

That's kinda what we're guessing, but we're not sure.

They already can; Celedyr owns Transys Neuronet, and Eliohann has a datajack.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Mar 30 2005, 08:13 AM
Post #37

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (BIGTasty)

Dunkie was posting comments on Shadowland way back in the Street Sam Catalog, first edition's first sourcebook. However, he was decking via tortise most likely.

The question I'm guessing you wanted to ask was, can they access the Matrix via full immersion ASIST virtual reality, and Cain's already answered that one.

+Quote Post
BIGTasty
post Mar 30 2005, 08:50 AM
Post #38

Target

Member No.: 7,267

Yes, thank you both.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Mar 30 2005, 09:37 AM
Post #39

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
Does that help?

Yup, much obliged and pretty much what I was assuming at this point anyway. My only concern with the responses is that the new mechanic wasn't so alluring as to completely win you over versus the older mechanic, but that's not too big of a surprise coming from a curmudgeon. :)

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 30 2005, 01:17 PM
Post #40

Tilting at Windmills

QUOTE (Penta)
Ack!

Please, let that not mean what I think it means...

They're not moving away from generic D6s, are they?

Nope. Still have to have a small boatload of those on the table. No other shapes required.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 30 2005, 01:21 PM
Post #41

Tilting at Windmills

QUOTE (Deamon_Knight)
Sorry Pat, I'm a Cynic and a Pessimist. Things like "new and improved" and "streamlined" sound good, but with the likes of New Coke and New Starwars Movies flying about like so much crap in the wind, New makes me nervous.

Please don't call me Pat. I know it's shorter, but it's also something I'd prefer to limit to family, as it is now.

And I can fully understand nervousness and cynicism. I had the same feelings when I first got the playtest materials, but once I started going through the stuff, I began to see what Rob's going for. I don't agree with all the changes, and I've made my objections and those of my playtest group known to Rob, but to me the good stuff far outweighs the bad. Since most of the stuff I'm seeing as bad is terminology changes and not actual rules, I think we're on the right track.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 30 2005, 01:14 PM
Post #42

Tilting at Windmills

QUOTE (Larsine)
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
It took a couple of times remembering that things were different so that I could grab the appropriate dice

Does this mean that there are different types of dice?

No, it means I miscounted the first time and had to grab a different number. D6 all the way; I was just a little groggy as I was typing that last night.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 30 2005, 01:16 PM
Post #43

Tilting at Windmills

QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Mar 29 2005, 11:56 PM)
It took a couple of times remembering that things were different so that I could grab the appropriate dice, but that flattened out pretty quickly and easily for me.

OMFG, it's going to be color coded d6s like the Immortal: The Invisible War
RPG used color coded d10s.

(it's amazing the rumors one can start when one reads way too much into every little tidbit of information that gets doled out to us, isn't it?)

I'll be sure to mention that to the Powers That Be...sounds like a great idea.... :evil:

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 30 2005, 01:26 PM
Post #44

Tilting at Windmills

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Mar 29 2005, 10:56 PM)
Does that help?

Yup, much obliged and pretty much what I was assuming at this point anyway. My only concern with the responses is that the new mechanic wasn't so alluring as to completely win you over versus the older mechanic, but that's not too big of a surprise coming from a curmudgeon. :)

Happy to help, Doc. I'm more than willing to answer anyone who's civil if I can within the bounds of my NDA contract.

More as I get the chance.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:16 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.