Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Karma Pool
Toa
post Mar 28 2005, 09:42 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,068

Will Karma Pool stay with us or will it be replaced by another "luck factor"?

Personally, I really liked the way Karma Pool worked and would love to see it carry over into the new edition.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 28 2005, 09:38 PM
Post #2

The King In Yellow

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,121

So would I. It has saved my characters' hoops far more often than I can count. Without Karma pool, things get ugly really fast.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Mar 28 2005, 11:59 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Karma pool was way too powerful, in my opinion. It very nearly destroyed my enjoyment of the game. Just to counterbalance the ideas here.

+Quote Post
Lucyfersam
post Mar 29 2005, 03:36 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,137

I've always liked Karma Pool, it occasionally gets a little frustrating at high levels, but overall I like it and would like to see it more or less unchanged.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Mar 29 2005, 03:42 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

When the players have a high enough Karma Pool that it becomes frustrating, the NPCs they're up against should have comparable numbers. I can't even count how many times I've seen one particular character and the GM face off re-rolling dice.

+Quote Post
Dizzo Dizzman
post Mar 29 2005, 04:00 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 7,007

I love karma pool, but there should probably be a cap for high level characters (i.e. 10). They can always burn permenant karma pool to drop below ten as well.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Mar 29 2005, 05:43 AM
Post #7

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

Use the graduated karma pool rules. I've had great success with it.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 29 2005, 03:40 PM
Post #8

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

Link? Or what book is it in?

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Mar 29 2005, 03:47 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,185

The graduated Karma pool rules merely slow down Karma pool advancement upon some plateaus like 5 karma etc.

Personally I'd like to see the ratio of good karma to karma pool for all characters to go up signficantly to something like 1 in 25 with some of the metahumans going at 1 in 40 or something and then factoring in graduated karma pool advancement. That way opposition for published adventures and/or conventions (personally ewww ;)) would be more uniform and require less customization.

+Quote Post
Fourbissime
post Mar 29 2005, 05:58 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 3,054

By the way ... what was the point of saying "humans shall get one karma pool for 10 good karma, and others shall get one on 20" ? I never understood the reason behind this.

I've heard something about metahumans gaining karma pool more slowly because they are "brand new", or something like that, but never been satisfied about this.

Or was it a way to reduce the number of methumans player characters to reflect the quotas ?

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Mar 29 2005, 05:54 PM
Post #11

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

I think the original thing I read about that (in SR2 I believe) was that humans are better at adapting, so they get the 1/10 KP whereas metahumans get 1/20 KP.

I think they were just trying to make an allusion to any d20 game where there are races other than human -- humans get one extra skill point/level, one extra feat at creation and sometimes can crossclass with no penalties.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Mar 29 2005, 06:38 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

I'm pretty sure the differing rates of KP growth pre-dates D20.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 29 2005, 06:53 PM
Post #13

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (tanka)
I think they were just trying to make an allusion to any d20 game where there are races other than human -- humans get one extra skill point/level, one extra feat at creation and sometimes can crossclass with no penalties.

I highly doubt that, as SR2, and even SR3 came out before d20 was published.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 29 2005, 07:00 PM
Post #14

Tilting at Windmills

Member No.: 388

QUOTE (Bigity)
I'm pretty sure the differing rates of KP growth pre-dates D20.

By several years. I'd give you dates if I was where my books are.

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Mar 29 2005, 06:57 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

To be hones the varying levels of karma pool advancement are a massive improvement in playability over the assumption that metahumans all have one or more allergies that was present in previous editions not to mention the heinous racial priority rules. It might seems like metahumans are getting gimped in SR3 but serious decreased karma is pretty tame considering how much they dominate many archetypes now.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Mar 29 2005, 06:59 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

They still have allergies in my game, although I did accept the new priorities for them.

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Mar 29 2005, 07:43 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (Bigity)
They still have allergies in my game, although I did accept the new priorities for them.

Actually I think the SR3 rules went too far in terms of making them playable to the point of making them superior in many cases. Allergies to relatively common substances might go a long way towards reducing their relative popularity. I'd be tempted to make all metahumans suffer biosensitivity of some sort but that would just make all metahuman characters awakened which is already a bit too common in my mind.

Of course slightly more realistical and advantageous attribute modifiers might go a long way towards fixing them for a 4th edition.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 29 2005, 07:46 PM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

superior? hee hee. all the foolish munchkins make metahuman characters because they like the stat boosts and other bonii. all the smart ones make humans because, in the long run, the doubled karma pool makes you a god among metamen.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 29 2005, 07:40 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (Cain)
Use the graduated karma pool rules. I've had great success with it.

Echoing hermit's request for linkage or book/page. I can remember some discussions here on different ways of doing this, but I can't remember what are the most common/generally accepted varieties.

I personally use a system where it takes 10 points of Karma to get the first additional Karma Pool (and it isn't removed from your Good Karma, it's an additional bonus), then 20 more for the second additional KP, then 30 more for the third, then 40 more, etc. I am of the opinion that different rates of KP advancement for humans and metahumans is silly.

mfb: Do all the smart munchkins also use "bonii" as the plural of "bonus"? :P

This post has been edited by Austere Emancipator: Mar 29 2005, 07:53 PM

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Mar 29 2005, 07:56 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Actually austere one your graduated system is a bunch slower than the one we are talking about which is something similar but goes up in cost at 5 karma increments instead of every karma pool increment.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 29 2005, 08:09 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Yeah, I got that impression in some earlier threads about the subject as well. I don't mind, I think 2-5 KP is plenty. I like to think re-rolling failures three times in a row, which takes 6 KP, should be reserved to bad-asses. But, really, that's just a question of preference.

+Quote Post
Aristotle
post Mar 29 2005, 08:41 PM
Post #22

Slacker Extraordinaire

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 997

I like the Karma Pool, but do think things get strange at high levels. I wouldn't mind seeing the graduated concept become core or the whole concept streamlined to resemble some of the Action Point/Dice mechanics out there for other systems (which may just be streamlined version of SR's Karma Pool themselves).

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Mar 29 2005, 11:00 PM
Post #23

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

In response to the SR being older than d20:

I'm fairly certain D&D (which is d20) came about before SR.

As always, I could be wrong, and could be talking out of my ass.

(For future reference, when I refer to d20, I'm referring to any product that now uses the d20 system, including D&D).

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Mar 29 2005, 11:07 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

D20 is a relatively modern iteration while 2nd edition DnD did use the d20 for a variety of rolls most notably Thac0 it was not the core mechanic for the system until 3rd edition was developed. It was with d20 that increased adaptation for humans became a racial trait (previously thier advantage was the ability to acchieve unlimited advancement in any class and the somewhat dubious ability to dual class). So if karma pool is supposed to represent adaptability technically SR predates d20 by some years.

+Quote Post
Doc Byte
post Mar 29 2005, 11:22 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,168

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Mar 29 2005, 09:09 PM)
I like to think re-rolling failures three times in a row, which takes 6 KP, should be reserved to bad-asses. But, really, that's just a question of preference.

For example someone's firing 14D autofire on your poor character with no armor and you need 5 successes against 6 to dodge the bullets.

------

I'm pretty sure the 1/10 for humans and 1/20 for metas was a new invention of SR3. AFAIR metas even got 2 starting points in SR2.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:40 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.