IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any hope of getting new novels in SR4?
apollo124
post Mar 29 2005, 06:07 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,246

I have to admit that I kind of look forward to seeing the new version of Shadowrun. After all, I have stuck around from the beginning of time, since anxiously awaiting the release of the Grimoire, 1st ed.

But my big question is if/when are we going to get new novels set in the Shadowrun universe? I have, of course, read all of the previously published ones, many of them several times each. I liked most of them, some more than others obviously.

Any kind of official "yes" answer will be met with glee and a fistful of cash.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lord_cack
post Mar 29 2005, 07:16 AM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 6,853

:D Yes Please :grinbig:

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Mar 29 2005, 07:36 AM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

I agree that it's time for WizKids to license out some novels. I seem to remember hearing something about them trying to save any novels until the Action Figure Clix SR game got off the ground, so that they could possibly have tie-ins between the Clix game and the novels. If that is true (I could just be mis-remembering something that might have been only a rumor anyways), WizKids needs to just accept the fact that the SR Clix game isn't going anywhere and that they have a RPG line that the novels could be supporting.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 29 2005, 07:38 AM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

It would be nice. I've got a few ideas for a proposal waiting for the day they open the door up.

~J

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Mar 29 2005, 02:36 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

You're not the only one waiting. 8)

+Quote Post
Elve
post Mar 29 2005, 02:59 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,071

In Germany 2 of the SR Clix Novels are already published...

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Mar 29 2005, 03:27 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,185

Honestly from what I understand the softbound book marketplace is not exactly chomping at the bit for more licensee fiction. As I've heard it described many editors have x number of slots that they can publish in during a given year and that they are kinda reluctant to devote those slots to licensee fiction because a) it doesn't make a huge amount of money and b) it's not a way to develop thier careers and c) it's boring for them. Granted that seemed to be the situation a few years back with some of the publishers and the circumstances might've changed but from what I understand the paradigm is pretty different in that marketplace and extremely competitive.

Not that I wouldn't like to see some more books (of good quality) but I'm not exactly holding my breath either.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Mar 29 2005, 03:57 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

I might be clix things if there were small (like...you know, minis?), so I could use them in a tabletop game.

I'm not buying a fucking Cabbage Patch doll for SR.

Novels would be a mixed bag. I really like about 2, liked a few more, and completely hated the rest.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 29 2005, 05:35 PM
Post #9

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

Depends on what the novels would be like? Like the early ones, which were comparatively well-written and not too uber? Most certainly. Like Dragonheart? HELL NO!

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Mar 29 2005, 05:40 PM
Post #10

Karma Police

Member No.: 6,505

That guy writing Forgotten Realms novels... Salvatore? Didzz DoDo Urrd.. ehh.. do you know who I mean? He´s widely popular even amongst people who do not play rpg´s. On account of goth chicks who love the Drow. So it seems it´s possible to write successful licensed fiction.

And could we please get something that is not modeled after a gaming session? Something like Nigel Findley´s novels. It´s not necessary to make the heroes of a book work in the same way as a team of player characters.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Mar 29 2005, 08:22 PM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Here's a scary thought I just had. Suppose they make a novel about a Night One elf Street Samurai who's favored style is akimbo Ares Scimitar heavy pistols. Not that Areas has a heavy pistol by the name of Scimitar yet, but the thought still gives me the willies.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Mar 29 2005, 09:40 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

And a magic ally spirit in the form of a panther.

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Mar 29 2005, 09:56 PM
Post #13

Karma Police

Member No.: 6,505

:dead:

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Mar 29 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (Bigity)
And a magic ally spirit in the form of a panther.

If it can turn into a panzer in an alternate form then we have a winner!

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Mar 29 2005, 10:09 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 6,543

I want more books about Wolf and Raven,Zip and Zap, Fastjack's crew. Come on Fastjack is in it. How can you beat fastjack? He would totally school an AI.....

NO more TALON. No more QUICKSILVER.....

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Mar 29 2005, 10:12 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Unfortunately the best SR novel writer is sadly deceased and the likelihood of my second tier (dowd and stackpole) doing new novels is pretty much nil. Of course it could be worse we could have someone like Kevin J Anderson writing novels ;)

+Quote Post
psykotisk_overle...
post Mar 29 2005, 10:13 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,817

That's just scary.

I don't know about new novels. I'd probably buy them, but for the moment I'm trying to find some of the old ones. Wich is a bit difficult when I live in Norway and I'm not willing to pay more for postage than for the books themselves.

+Quote Post
Bob the Ninja
post Mar 30 2005, 02:54 AM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 4,083

What about a site like Battlecorps? That way TPTB could gage the market for new novels.

+Quote Post
Paul
post Mar 30 2005, 10:40 PM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 1,514

Count my people on board as wanting some quality books!

+Quote Post
Synner
post Mar 30 2005, 11:07 PM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 185

QUOTE (psykotisk_overlegen @ Mar 29 2005, 10:13 PM)
I'd probably buy them, but for the moment I'm trying to find some of the old ones. Wich is a bit difficult when I live in Norway and I'm not willing to pay more for postage than for the books themselves.

Try Leisure Games in London, they ship across Europe and aren't expensive. Last time I was there they still had quite a few SR novels in stock (admittedly this was a while ago).

+Quote Post
Paul
post Mar 31 2005, 11:49 AM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 1,514

Okay while we're sitting around fantasizing over novels, who would you like to see write them? Who's your dream author in SR? Or authors?

I have a short list of people I'd like to see do various stuff, in no particular order:
  • Tom Clancy. I dig long descriptions of highly tehnical stuff. I mean really dig them. I'd like to se him write a serious SR novel.
  • Stephen King. Only one short story. That's all.
  • Alan Miller. Same thing-one short story, no more.
  • Stephen Hawking. I'd love to see him write some stuff for SR.
  • John Grisham.
  • Richard Dawkins. Give him Danchekkers!
  • Orson Scott Card. Hey he's writing fro Iron man, why not SR?
  • Jerry Pournelle. He owns.
And yourself?

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Mar 31 2005, 12:00 PM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Paul)
Okay while we're sittign around fantasizing over novels, who would you like to see write them? Who's your dream author in SR? Or authors?

I think Timothy Zahn's take on SR could be interesting.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Mar 31 2005, 12:43 PM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

And yourself?

Larry Niven. One of the few sci-fi writers capable of a good detective mystery.

Harry Harrison. He could equally well turn out a comical "Stainless Steel Rat" type of novel or a deadly serious tale.

Simon R. Green. Pulp-fiction goodness. When it comes to butt-kicking, wise cracking heroes and lots of action, he is simply king (Hawk and Fisher, the Deathstalker stuff). I could see him having a lot of fun with the magic side of SR particularly.

Garth Ennis and/or Warren Ellis, for a SR graphic novel. Nuff said.

+Quote Post
Demosthenes
post Mar 31 2005, 01:02 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,850

Warren Ellis kicks ass.

Iain Banks could be fun too...

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 31 2005, 01:06 PM
Post #25

Tilting at Windmills

Member No.: 388

While I'd love to see some SR novels (have an idea for a couple, in fact), WizKids seems pretty set on not doing any. There are, apparently, a couple of Duels-based books out, but there seems no indication whatsoever that WK wants to do anything other than that.

Sigh. :(

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing some of the current freelancers take on a novel. I think Jon's got some interesting characters, as does Elissa. I'd do one or two, and I've got a couple of shorts featuring a couple of characters from some of my articles that I'd like to do something with.

I think Steven Brust would do something interesting and literary with SR, as would Emma Bull. Tom Clancy, as mentioned, might be interesting if we could rein in some of his sillier plot tendencies. Laurell K. Hamilton (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter) might be interesting, too. I'll second Stephen King, too, as long as he sticks to a short story or two, maybe a novelette (Different Seasons is one of my favorite books of all time).

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:33 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.