IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ID scanners, And what ratings do they have?
Westiex
post Mar 29 2005, 01:31 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,715

Does anyone know of any lcoation in the book where it specifies what some of the more common ID check ratings are? For an airport? Lonestar patrol vehicle? Medical facility?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Edward
post Mar 29 2005, 02:01 PM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

It doesn’t say anywhere what is actually uses but I would suggest almost all are relatively low rating.

A LS patrol car is limited by what can be mobile (max 3 I think) and I would expect only a 2.

An airport probably has the low end above portable availability 4 I believe, a loan star station house will have the same

Basic shops will have a rating 1, 2 if they deal with high priced items.

A hospital or commercial medical facility will likewise have a relatively low rating scanner.

The feds in each city would have a rating 12 scanner witch loan star would be able to go and borrow (just slot the ID) if they suspect it is fake due to suspect behaviour, this would come up once in a blue moon, primarily when somebody is arrested in position of multiple IDs that the star scanners detect as legit

The higher ratings 6+ probably only exist where your trying to protect sensitive information, prototypes or research facilities, ad even then may not be needed.

Look at the rules for faking cred sticks, making a fake cred stick (the equivalent today of a combined fake passport drivers licence and any other licences) are incredibly difficult, so much that doing so is almost exclusively the province of organised criminal syndicates. These syndicates cant do much work because doing a lot of work means getting a regular flow of new customers witch tends to get you in a jail. So although they are available they are not exactly common.

It is all but imposable (without being obscene the frame rules) to pirate money you want cred on your fake ID you put it there from another account or by depositing real monies. This means that when a store accepts a transaction from a fake cred stick they do get there money.

Also it is imposable as far as I can determine to forge or alter a cred stick so you can pretend to be somebody else, in order to enter secure facility that will only permit a short list of authorised personnel by verifying there cred stick is to deck the system and authorise another ID or use fingerprint, rental or voice print alteration (as required) and an exact copy of there cred stick (usually the real one).

Edward

+Quote Post
Westiex
post Mar 29 2005, 02:47 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,715

Also it is imposable as far as I can determine to forge or alter a cred stick so you can pretend to be somebody else, in order to enter secure facility that will only permit a short list of authorised personnel by verifying there cred stick is to deck the system and authorise another ID or use fingerprint, rental or voice print alteration (as required) and an exact copy of there cred stick (usually the real one).

In security you base things normally on two things:

Something you have
Something you are

Normally the thing you have is an ID card and the thing you are is a picture ID or some sort.

In a corp facility, you'd probably be looking at an ID card of some sort (card reader?) and some sort of biometric data (fingerprint, retinal, DNA).

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Mar 29 2005, 05:35 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

Sprawl Sites has alot of information abot Credsticks (your ID) and the various ratings used. For the most part, unless someone is really digging deep and hard, Rating=3 it propably sufficient for typical everyday life things.

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Mar 29 2005, 07:02 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,185

Rather than base the ratings on devices I'd actually prefer to see it based on the duration of the check against the various databases the device has access to. Considering a squad car is going to have a wireless matrix connection (even low bandwidth) they are probably going to be able to do a search against Lone Star's and UCAS databases of known felons etc. Of course the processing power of the onboard computer likely limits the speed in which an exhaustive search can be performed (although I'd actually imagine the ID checker to be more of a client application that is actually running on some local LS mainframe). On a routine traffic stop (assuming 10-15 minutes) a class 2 ID is likely to hold up to initial scrutiny.

In comparison a face trying to infiltrate and scope out a corp facility is going to require a much more secure ID to withstand the exhaustive background check they are going to do on her before they authorize her access to sensitive materials. In this case it might require a rating 6 ID to withstand the security checks Renraku might do on low level researchers at thier secure facilities.

+Quote Post
torzzzzz
post Mar 29 2005, 07:01 PM
Post #6

It's for winners

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,067

Not sure but i think I saw something in the guide to real life? check it out there is loads of cool stuff like that in it!

torz x ;)

+Quote Post
Aes
post Mar 29 2005, 09:18 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,971

You mean you can get fake SINs BELOW rating 6? :P

+Quote Post
Edward
post Mar 30 2005, 03:24 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

That is a good idea. Possible house rule for comment. And cred stick reader may add one additional dice for each full minute of verification time to a max of twice its rating. For example a LS patrol vehicle has a rating 2 cred stick reader, the officer is suspicious so he has the suspect insert the cred stick and take a fingerprint scan and then leave the cred stick in the machine while he searches the vehicle. The ID is rating 5 so the apposed test is the reader 4 dice target 5 and the forgery 5 dice target 2. The fake will probably hold up.

Now the officer finds another 3 IDs in the trunk of the car so he runs them threw the precincts rating 4 reader, but he can’t take forever with this machine so he slots them only for seconds. All 4 IDs are rating 5 so it is the reader 4 dice target 5 against the forgeries 5 dice target 4, likely one ID will come up a fake, now knowing the suspect has a fake ID the officer requisitions the precinct’s machine for longer leaving each ID to verify for 5 minutes now the reader has 8 dice target 5 against the forgery’s 5 dice target 4, they will probably be shown for what they are.

What do you think?

Edward

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:58 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.