IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Essential Cyberware, What can you not play without?
mmu1
post Mar 29 2005, 08:10 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,058

I've sort of been wondering (as evidenced by my last topic) about what cyber people commonly use, as well as about the difference between what you might have the impression is common by reading Dumpshock, and what most characters will actually have.

For example, reading these boards you sometimes get the feel that 3 out of 4 sams out there have WR3 or MBW, for example, whereas the reality seems to be closer to Alpha WR2 - but I digress...

There seems to be a lot of cyber that is, for lack of a better word, mandatory - like smartlinks.

For me, vision enhancements fall into the same category - from both IC and OOC points of view, it seems completely foolish and impractical to spend hundreds of thousands of :nuyen: on combat cyberware before making sure your character isn't constantly tripped up by massive TN penalties for vision. As a result, I've come to look at a combination of thermal, low-light, eye-lights and flare-comp (and ultrasound if I have the money and Essence to spare) sort of the same way I do at a smartlink or reaction enhancement for anyone who plans on fighting - basically, non-negotiable - and was wondering what gear falls into the same category for others...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Critias
post Mar 29 2005, 08:11 PM
Post #2

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

Eyes and ears. Full suite of both. Once you have them, it's really really tough to play a character that doesn't.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 29 2005, 08:14 PM
Post #3

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Transducer.

Dual datajacks.

~J

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Mar 29 2005, 08:37 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,185

Cybereyes with flare compensation, lowlight or thermographic and electronic III are pretty much essential and well worth the neglible cost even tricked out as alphaware.

Pretty much the only characters who don't get it are metahumans and awakened characters who don't want to sacrifice thier real eyes and who likely stock up on bioware eye enhancements.

Cyberears aren't as common as they are defined as being obvious external prosthesis even though they are pretty damned useful.

If I'm playing a face style samurai I tend to go with a be prepared for anything type character so I often have 60 mp of headware memory, datajack, chipjack and knowsoft link so I can load useful data or a knowsoft/linguasoft for that alias fit in anywhere factor.

I'd say most samurai often load up on a bone lacing in my games as it makes them pretty handy sans weapon and generally improves thier durability.

I think enhanced articulation is pretty twinky but it's hard to pass up for the potential benefit of the damned stuff.

On the bioware front synthacardium is really the only one that shows up alot besides the cosmetic bioware (no BO even if your in the jungle for 3 weeks is a big plus) but if the various toxin reducers were cheaper they'd show up a good deal more.

Ohh and on the cyberware lots of biomonitors but I pretty much assume they are almost as common as datajacks these days.

+Quote Post
Garland
post Mar 29 2005, 08:51 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,043

Datajack and transducer all the way. Oh, and if you're not a mage, smartlink.

+Quote Post
Mr Cjelli
post Mar 29 2005, 08:47 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 6,976

In terms of general bang for your buck, I'd say the best piece of cyberware is smartlink-2 (though there's a lot to be said for the utility of a datajack). For bioware I'd say it's enhanced articulation, which I absolutely love since I tend to emphasize skills over attributes in my mundanes.

That said, there's no essential piece of cyberware. However, certain archetypes are more likely to have certain augmentations than others.

+Quote Post
Aes
post Mar 29 2005, 09:09 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,971

Since you only asked for cyberware, I'll spare you my bioware shopping list.

Cyber-eyes. Definately. Throw in low-light or thermo, an image link and rangefinder combo for cheaper smartlink and flare compensators. Either vision magnification (electronic, 3) or microscopic vis, depending on what will help you the most.

Using the cyber-eyes rebates, a processor, simsense rig and induction pad is enough to give you a full smartlink-II package and all the eye boosts for 0,48 essence if you buy alphaware.

A math SPU - with the neglible cost of 4000 nuyen/0,08 essence will give you a built-in alarm clock, chronometer, stopwatch and pocket calculator. Those can all come in damn handy.

A datajack with a knowsoft link is in my opinion preferrable to a chipjack. You can still slot linguasofts and knowsofts in it, but it doubles as an input port for DNI-equipped gear. Add a subvocal microphone and subdermal speakers, and you can jack your DNI-equipped micro-transceiver in for the same benefits of a headware radio/commlink without huge essence burns.

Headware memory is nice, but only essential if you want to load in knowledge/language skills. If you can live with lower data transmission speeds (too slow for skill use, but fast enough for playing your favourite music or flat-screen vintage videos), look at getting a Direct Neural Interface (0,08 essence, 5000 nuyen for alphaware) and an optical memory chip (7500 nuyen for 1000mp). Since it's just a chip under your skin and wired into the router (0,01 essence, 500 nuyen for a non-headware router port), you get oodles of memory for virtually no essence. Only good for data storeage, mind you - not for a deckers active memory).

If you're going to be a cybered full mage, consider a RAS override. Switch it on whenever you go astral and whatever might try to posess you will find your body virtually useless.

Unless you're going to have a VCR installed, consider getting boosted reflexes 1 and synaptic accelerator as a package deal rather than wired reflexes. Sure, 230000 nuyen is a lot to pay, but it's still less than alphaware wired reflexes and +3 initiative dice for 0.4 essence and 1 bioindex is worth it in the long run.

If you're on an essence budget but anticipate you'll end up in a firefight a rating 1 Dermal Sheath is always nice. An additional 2 body dice, and it's more essence friendly than a rating 2 dermal plating. Plus you get the additional point of impact armor too. Don't splash money on the ruthetium version on dermal sheath, unless your character likes running around naked a lot. IMO, it's one of the silliest bits of cyberware ever.

Bone lacing might be good, but unless you have decent close combat skills, you might find it a very espensive package essence-wise for what it gives.

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Mar 29 2005, 09:11 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

While the Boosted reflexes 1 synaptic accelerator 2 combo is good there are a variety of problems with it.

Upgradeability is an issue as the boosted reflexes can't be removed and some GMs take a hardline on not even being able to upgrade it to boosted 3 down the road. With the synaptic accelerator you are running against the rule that you can't start out with cultured bioware at start which pretty much forces some changes to the base ruleset.

After creation you are running up against the insane cost of the stuff making it hard to justify. Granted not quite as insane as reaction enhancers but still a mega chunk of nuyen.

+Quote Post
Aes
post Mar 29 2005, 09:20 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,971

Granted, YMMV. But The insane essence costs of wired sort of makes the option attractive if you ask me. Besides, most of the GMs I've played with didn't mind synaptic accelerators at chargen when you consider just about every mage takes a force 1 sustaining focus and increased reflexes +3.

+Quote Post
Garland
post Mar 29 2005, 09:44 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,043

And Synaptic Accel is bioware, with the attendant disadvantages of bioware.

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Mar 29 2005, 09:46 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (Aes)
Granted, YMMV. But The insane essence costs of wired sort of makes the option attractive if you ask me. Besides, most of the GMs I've played with didn't mind synaptic accelerators at chargen when you consider just about every mage takes a force 1 sustaining focus and increased reflexes +3.

Another reason why there should be some major revision of some of the twinkier spells with the new edition. Honestly if any spell should have a fixed target number of something like 10-force to take effect it's those spells.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Mar 29 2005, 09:55 PM
Post #12

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

I find Smartlink-2, image link, datajack and transducer are all just darned handy, no matter what you are going for. Forget combat spells with the mage, force 5 levitate and a SPAS-22 on full auto can be much scarier at times.

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Mar 29 2005, 10:25 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

I must be an abberration as transducers rarely show up if people want cyber communications they likely use the subvocal microphone. Of course I probably concieve of the transducer's capabilities as far lower than most GMs.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 29 2005, 10:48 PM
Post #14

Manus Celer Dei

What do you conceive as their capabilities?

~J

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Mar 29 2005, 11:00 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,323

For mages, Trauma Dampener is a must if I can get it.

For combat types, smartlink-2 and enhanced articulation.

For humans, cybereyes with thermographic vision, flare compensation, and microscopic vision.

For medics, riggers, deckers, and other technical types, microscopic vision and enhanced articulation.

For almost everyone, datajack with knowsoft link.

JaronK

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Mar 29 2005, 11:01 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Well for instance I'd be extremely hesitant to allow them to translate extensive mental pictures into detailed language. I pretty much concieve of them as either extremely slow translation programs likely requiring extensive external processing to translate complex thoughts into language or a very rudimentary neural impulse to text device that has an extremely limited word capacity (think a vocabulary of maybe several hundred words or simple phrases requiring an extensive burn in period).

So say someone like Stephen Hawking whose attached to a high end neurolinguistic processing computer could likely speak eloquently about a variety of detailed subjects perhaps in a huge number of lanuguages if the computer has advanced translation capabilities. However when not connected to an external computer it pretty much becomes things like "Danger" "Duck" "Cover Me" sort of like a non spoken simple sign language. Advanced technical concepts would require far greater access to external processing power.

Of course upon being translated into text or speech it could be transmitted over cyberlinked communications devices.

Otherwise it simple indicates such a huge level of processing to handle the required brainwave translation as to be pretty dubious within a man portable system much less a low essence item.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 29 2005, 11:31 PM
Post #17

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

What about the cybereye w/lowlight + eyelight combo?

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Mar 29 2005, 11:43 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)

Why not just have a undermount light on your gun that's cybercontrolled to turn on and off as it saves you essence and doesn't get you made fun of at the samurai bar.

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post Mar 30 2005, 12:32 AM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 6,690

That strikes me as a rather strange way to handle Transducers. I let them send whatever it is the players wants to say. If the pc pictures a duck in their mind, nothing happens. But if they think the message, "Hey look! A duck!" then that gets sent out via the transducer to whatever comm gear it's hooked up to. If Steven Hawking is talking about a brief history of time, then every word comes out just the way he wants it.

Generally, if my character has an extra datajack, then they always have an external transducer hooked up to a radio, so that they never have to vocalize (or even sub vocalize).

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Mar 30 2005, 12:43 AM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

A good example of transducers in operation is the implant comm system from Niven and Pournelle's Oath of Fealty. Apart from having to run through the arcology's mainframe, it's pretty much how I see it.

+Quote Post
Astelaron
post Mar 30 2005, 01:07 AM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 7,183

For combat mages I like smatlink 2, coupled with the Increased Reflexes +3 spell in a sustaining focus, and a nice high force armor spell.

For mundanes I really like datajack, link, skill wires. They are magic for the uninitiated. They provide a high skill rating free of karma and time spent learning.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 30 2005, 01:13 AM
Post #22

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (Vuron)
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 29 2005, 06:31 PM)

Why not just have a undermount light on your gun that's cybercontrolled to turn on and off as it saves you essence and doesn't get you made fun of at the samurai bar.

Because unlike eyelights, those aren't magically invisible to everyone else.

~J

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 30 2005, 01:17 AM
Post #23

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

QUOTE (Vuron @ Mar 29 2005, 06:43 PM)
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 29 2005, 06:31 PM)

Well why get any cybernetic inhancements at all then, as everything can be installed as a scope on your gun anyway? Also what if you're a mage/techie-type and therefore don't have/need/use a gun?

(Edit): A better question to ask: if you could only have one, which would be better for a mage: eyelights or optical vision mag? Keep in mind that technically spellcasting doesn't have anyrange increments, near as I can tell, so optical vision mag doesn't seem to actually do anything.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Mar 30 2005, 01:33 AM
Post #24

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

If you're gonna get a datajack, you might as well get a knowsoft link.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Mar 30 2005, 01:52 AM
Post #25

Running, running, running

Member No.: 6,769

QUOTE (eyeless blond)
near as I can tell, so optical vision mag doesn't seem to actually do anything.

well, thats an odd way to rule it, most of the times i've seen this discussion come up, and if i have to rule on it would, would be the "if they can see it, they can fry it" method, so therefore OM is most likely MORE powerful than it should be in the hands of mages.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:43 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.