Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who's Going Down?
FlakJacket
post Mar 29 2005, 08:28 PM
Post #1

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

So according to the blurb it mentions that one of the megas gets into a bad way and has to take desperate measures to survive and so far most seem to be assuming it's refering to Novatech. Aside from them, which other corps would you like to see - or could see - being the one in question?

Personally I'd like it to be Saedar-Krupp. Several of the books mention Lofwyr withdrawing from corp work and being distracted, thanks to draconic goings on like the Loremaster thing and the Jewel of Memory. Since he practically runs the show by micromanagement even with SK Prime picking up most of the slack he's still their biggest asset. His functioning at less than a hundred percent coupled with all the new and old enemies coming out of the woodwork could certainly hurt them, there's already been rumblings from within the senior management. It would certainly make things a little more interesting. :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 29 2005, 08:39 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Ares! Ares! Ares!

C'mon, let's see them go the way of the Universal Brotherhood.

~J

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Mar 29 2005, 08:43 PM
Post #3

King of the Hobos

Another good choice. If the affair from Threats gets too out of hand they may have to go to a scorched earth policy. As the quote goes, 'I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.' ;)

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Mar 29 2005, 08:35 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,642

Not Ares! They're my groups major employer (check out my location). Send Mitsuhama down the tubes. Goodbye, generic Japanacorp.

+Quote Post
Kai
post Mar 29 2005, 08:37 PM
Post #5

Hacker For Hire

Member No.: 7,165

Split vote. Half for expecting Renraku to find out they are well and truly screwed, half for really wanting to watch the flaming trainwreck that would happen should Ares fracture.

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Mar 29 2005, 08:53 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,185

It depends on how much you buy into the horrible concept that Leonardo pretty much created all of Renraku's cool toys. If you can conveniently forget that metaplot then Renraku's still pretty decent despite getting gimped but if you can't forget it then Renraku should be excised to get rid of IE tech demigod taint ;)

Honestly I'd love to see a credible euro corp alternative to SK but that pretty much requires SK to be taken down a peg which seems unlikely to happen.

Of course I'm tempted to do something like make CATco a French company as a quebecois megacorp is just too silly for me to handle from a macroeconomics perspective.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Mar 29 2005, 08:53 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

I don't think they'd let Ares fall if for no other reason all the guns they'd have to rename.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 29 2005, 09:01 PM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
I don't think they'd let Ares fall if for no other reason all the guns they'd have to rename.

Ares Arms can be sold off and the brand would be worth millions. There's no need for Ares Macrotechnology to persist.

~J

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Mar 29 2005, 09:53 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 6,543

Well, it is clear that Nova Tech, or SK... both seem to have highly deadactated enimies with resources to burn.

+Quote Post
SirBedevere
post Mar 29 2005, 11:17 PM
Post #10

Knight Templar

Member No.: 6,424

Shiawase! Extraterritoriality is all their fault!

Don't get rid of S-K, Lofwyr is such a good enemy :S
If Ares goes down the tube so does UCAS
Aztechnology are the best evil corp around

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 29 2005, 11:23 PM
Post #11

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (SirBedevere)
If Ares goes down the tube so does UCAS

And the problem with that is?

Maybe California will invade Seattle and make Cynic happy.

~J

+Quote Post
SirBedevere
post Mar 29 2005, 11:21 PM
Post #12

Knight Templar

Member No.: 6,424

If UCAS goes down the tube who will the Souix hate? Who will the CAS laugh at? With no UCAS, Seattle is just a little city state and will get absorbed. Lots of possibilities for Shadowruns disappear.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Mar 29 2005, 11:21 PM
Post #13

Resident Legionnaire

Member No.: 6,550

Maybe California will be nuked from the planet and make me happy :)

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 29 2005, 11:28 PM
Post #14

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

Renraku. It is struggling, and desperate. Novatech is a candidate too, but Renraku is more likely, considering their great losses in the whole Deus affair and all ... I mean, they cannot even force the UCAS military to give them back their arcology at cut prices, so they must have lost considerable behind-the-scenes power, right?

I'd like to see Ares fall, if only because a corp rising to AAA status with small arms sales is ludicrous, even if they had a monopoly on the US market. Small arms aren't really big business. But that's not gonna happen.

SK will likely get bashed, but will it fall? Hopefully not. I have always loved the idea of a giant, golden-scaled, cliche fantasy dragon flying into his lair, settling in front of a meeting table, staring at the assembled business types there, and say "Now, let's talk about my investment strategy ..."

+Quote Post
Paul
post Mar 29 2005, 11:39 PM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 1,514

If I got to choose it'd be Novatech. And CATco.

+Quote Post
DragginSPADE
post Mar 29 2005, 11:54 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,119

My bet would be either Novatech or Renraku as the most likely corp to have serious problems in the next five years. They've already got Novatech in trouble with the current metaplot, so it's easy to see how a matrix crash could really hurt them. Renraku also isn't as healthy as it used to be, and is heavily invested in matrix technology.

I seriously doubt Saeder-Krupp will be in jeopardy. Lofwyr may be distracted, but I'd still bet on a distracted Lofwyr vs. any other CEO at the top of his game any day of the week. Also, SK is diversified, with a strong interest in heavy industry. It's far less vulnerable to a major system crash than other megacorps.

Finally, an unlikely but interesting choice would be Aztechnology. They've gotten bogged down in the Yucatan, kicked out of Denver, and they do have formidable matrix assets. It would also have far-reaching consequences on the North American continent if Aztechnology came close to collapsing. However, I don't think it'll be them since they're NOT the most vulnerable corp to a crash, and they do have very diversified and strong interests. People aren't going to stop eating Stuff-it burgers just because the matrix is down.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Mar 29 2005, 11:56 PM
Post #17

Resident Legionnaire

Hmmmm. I actually think Novatech could have a large part in the building of the "new" matrix. However, the way things are going with that ridiculous Denkwalther crap, prolly not.

+Quote Post
DragginSPADE
post Mar 30 2005, 12:10 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,119

QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
Hmmmm.  I actually think Novatech could have a large part in the building of the "new" matrix.  However, the way things are going with that ridiculous Denkwalther crap, prolly not.

Yeah, that's the kicker. Any corp heavily into the matrix would be hurt the most by it's crashing. However, corps into the matrix are the ones who'd be best able to rebuild it (and thereby rake in huge profits).

I still think it's either going to be Novatech or Renraku, since they're both matrix corps that are hurt enough that they might not be able to recover in time to profit from Matrix 2.0

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 30 2005, 12:10 AM
Post #19

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

The new Matrix will be built by Transys, because the WMI is Celedyr's pet project. Actually, I think Transys might become a new AAA.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Mar 30 2005, 12:06 AM
Post #20

Resident Legionnaire

The last thing I want to see is another AAA Dragon-corp. One is enough.

But you make a hell of a point!

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Mar 30 2005, 12:08 AM
Post #21

King of the Hobos

QUOTE (DragginSPADE @ Mar 29 2005, 11:54 PM)
Lofwyr may be distracted, but I'd still bet on a distracted Lofwyr vs. any other CEO at the top of his game any day of the week. Also, SK is diversified, with a strong interest in heavy industry.  It's far less vulnerable to a major system crash than other megacorps.

I can't find the blurb where it talks about one of the corps on the brink and having to take drastic action to survive, but does it say that the matrix going down is actually involved with it? Could be two seperate events that people are just putting together.

Whilst Lofwyr is good, he's got all the AA corps of Europe after him with Spinrad leading the charge, the Mega's will come in if they see an opening and he's also got other dragons like Celedyr possible arrayed against him as well which helps alleviate the great dragons uber alles bit. The problem with SK though is that it is Lofwyr. The two are so enmeshed that if he has a bad day or gets distracted with other things for a long period they'll suffer. Just got different views on it I guess. :)

QUOTE (hermit)
The new Matrix will be built by Transys, because the WMI is Celedyr's pet project.

I thought it was Erika's baby? Or is he in on it as a joint venture, I can't remember?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 30 2005, 12:18 AM
Post #22

Manus Celer Dei

Actually, it just says that a struggling corp takes a drastic step, doesn't it? What if the Azzies pull the plug to keep aid out of the Yucatan?

~J

"Bomb Cambodia!"

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Mar 30 2005, 12:21 AM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

QUOTE (Vuron)
It depends on how much you buy into the horrible concept that Leonardo pretty much created all of Renraku's cool toys. If you can conveniently forget that metaplot then Renraku's still pretty decent despite getting gimped but if you can't forget it then Renraku should be excised to get rid of IE tech demigod taint ;)

Aheh-heh-heh... I just pictured all the screams of outrage if the new Matrix paradigm turned out to be down to Leonardo and his IE tech demigod l337 5ki11z... :cyber:

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Mar 30 2005, 12:22 AM
Post #24

King of the Hobos

Maybe they get desperate and decide to go the WMD route. Drop a mix of nukes and massive fuck off size FAE bombs on the Yucatan and turn it into a complete wasteland with nothing standing. Or release a new gengineered version of Ebola, new Ebola Plus+.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 30 2005, 12:37 AM
Post #25

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (FlackJacket)
massive fuck off size FAE bombs

Just stick with the nukes. Apart from the problems with very large explosive devices without their own oxidizers, I doubt conventional explosives can ever achieve the same cost effectiveness as nukes (or BC-weapons, like you mentioned) for wiping out large land areas.

(Sorry for not contributing to the actual thread. "Huge FAE bombs" just seem to be spreading on Dumpshock, and I figured it's time someone fought back.)

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:38 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.