Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rune Enchanting, rules clarification
Mr.Cato
post Mar 30 2005, 03:43 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,794

I'm reading about Rune Enchanting in SOTA: 64 page 126.

Seems to me that that the main purpose of these enchantments is for creating enchantments that are easier to enchant and cost less karma.
I've been looking at the Anchoring metamagic, and it annoys me that these foci are astrally active - always. That can create problems when running into astral barriers and wards.

My question is this: is an anchored focus with runic enchantment not astrally active when it is "not functioning" due to a geasa?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mr.Cato
post Mar 30 2005, 07:45 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 6,794

nobody knows...

or nobody cares?

+Quote Post
DragginSPADE
post Mar 30 2005, 09:42 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,119

Sorry, I'm in the process of a move. Won't have access to my SOTA:64 for months at least. Don't know why nobody else has answered your question.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 30 2005, 09:53 PM
Post #4

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,014

Few people use Anchoring as it is written in MitS. The "always active" anchoring focus is one of the many flaws in using Anchoring. I think all that the geasa from Rune Enchanting would do is prevent you from anchoring a spell into the focus or prevent the focus from activating if the appropriate conditions aren't met, but I don't think the Rune Enchanting rules are really compatible with Anchoring Foci (and its sister, Sustaining Foci).

+Quote Post
mallet
post Mar 30 2005, 09:50 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,215

I'd say that it was always astrally active.

They put the "always active" bit in there to stop players from getting too carried away with anchored spells on themselves. It doesn't matter how powerful a bulletbarrier they have anchored, they either have to leave it behind on a run, or not enter any warded areas (where all the goods are).

If they could turn them on and off then it would totally unbalance the game play (for most games). As soon as a PC got money he could get a on/off bulletbarrier, invisiblilty, levitate, +3 all stat, magic item made for him.

That wouldn't be good.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 30 2005, 10:22 PM
Post #6

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,014

But the whole point of anchoring, even as listed at times in MitS, is to have a spell that you can turn on and off (MitS p45), unlike a Sustaining focus. Only the rules don't support this at all in 3rd edition. There is a major disconnect from what it should do and what it actually does, and it ends up being one of the weakest (least bang-for-buck, Karma-wise) metamagics.

+Quote Post
mallet
post Mar 30 2005, 10:50 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,215

I might be remembering this wrong, but wasn't the intent supposed to be that you could turn off the effect of the spell (not levitating all the time) but that the spell was still "running" in the background (so to speak), so that it was still astrally active?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:36 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.