Reply to this topicStart new topic
> making crittersand dual naturedness, FrostyNSO please dont read heh
Aku
post Mar 30 2005, 07:43 PM
Post #1

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

so i'm digitally flipping through Critters, and it gives the essence cost for powers ( 1 point per power) but it doesnt say anything about the cost of being dual natured. I wouldnt imagine you can make anything dual natured for free, and i know any of the awakened critters can already astrally project, but i want him to be dual natured, so how can i make/modify something like this?

edit: i now see some of them as marked with a Z, meaning they are dual natured, are these the only ones that can be?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Mar 30 2005, 10:35 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,734

One way is to use the stats from Year of the Comet, with the Dual Nature flaw in SURGE.

Another way is to put the proto-critter on a slab, winch it up to the ceiling where you have it struck by lightning, then retrieve the smoking new critter with new Dual Natured Properties™ while screaming "IT'S ALIVE!!! IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIIIVE!!!"

You're the creator - ya don't need to excuse things. :)

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Mar 30 2005, 11:12 PM
Post #3

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

A critter being dual natured is far more of a disadvantage than an advantage. Any projection capable caster can just "nuke him from orbit" floating in astral space above the meat bound creature where he can't do a thing about it. For a guard animal I want mine NOT dual natured as much as possible so they aren't killed at absolutely no risk.

But if that's what you want, SURGE it.

+Quote Post
Mortax
post Mar 30 2005, 11:20 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,950

Yes, and there is a section, I think it is in critters, that says:
One should never assume that the abilities of any paranormal animal, they can fluctuate.
Or something like that.
There is a provision that things players are able to summon should stay the same, just for simplicity.
Hell, I'd say make it duel natured, and don't nessisarily say it is a flaw or boon. It has the advantage of allowing you to attack an astral mage along with being able to see in the dark. But it has the disadvantages that BitBasher pointed out. I'd say it is close to balanced.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Mar 31 2005, 12:51 AM
Post #5

actually, my idea was a dual natured doggy whose cage is surrunded by a ward, he can get out, mage can't get in :D

there for during night time, it can look like he's "sleeping" when he's really projecting, and during the day, he can be walking around the facility, dual natured.

edit: which reminds me, does the destruction of a ward make any sort of "noise" on the astral plane, or is it something that can be done quietly?

+Quote Post
Chibu
post Mar 31 2005, 03:05 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,102

There isn't any 'noise' that i've read about, but, the casting mage(s) definately know when their ward has been destroyed.

+Quote Post
Mortax
post Mar 31 2005, 04:39 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,950

As far as I know, the only thing that happens is that the person who put it up will know. Other than that, you're golden.

Oh, but watch out for traps ect.

+Quote Post
Bastard
post Mar 31 2005, 08:38 AM
Post #8

Grand Nagus

Member No.: 6,518

what about me

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Mar 31 2005, 08:31 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 6,734

QUOTE (Bastard)
what about me

Well, you're dead in as many ways as possible for your GM to cook up.

*cough* you were saying? :D

+Quote Post
Aku
post Mar 31 2005, 11:36 AM
Post #10

well, that would mean that the mage is golden, because i dont think theres anyways i can have the dual natured dogs make the wards, is there?

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Mar 31 2005, 11:44 AM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

I'd have to check my copy of MitS again on the subject of "Alarm Wards" I think it's possible for the creator of an alarm ward to designate additional entities that would be made aware of the Alarm Ward going off.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Apr 1 2005, 01:24 AM
Post #12

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

QUOTE (BitBasher)
A critter being dual natured is far more of a disadvantage than an advantage. Any projection capable caster can just "nuke him from orbit" floating in astral space above the meat bound creature where he can't do a thing about it. For a guard animal I want mine NOT dual natured as much as possible so they aren't killed at absolutely no risk.

Pretty much true for mundane animals, but even if it dies the facility can be alerted to an astral intruder. Things like the Bogie usually have some defenses (Fear is a Mana power), and remember that SURGE can grant other powers as well (Magical Guard, Astral Armor being useful ones). I still get a kick out of the Armadillo with the Innate Spell (Shape Earth) power.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Apr 1 2005, 07:27 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Mar 30 2005, 06:12 PM)

Pretty much true for mundane animals, but even if it dies the facility can be alerted to an astral intruder. Things like the Bogie usually have some defenses (Fear is a Mana power), and remember that SURGE can grant other powers as well (Magical Guard, Astral Armor being useful ones). I still get a kick out of the Armadillo with the Innate Spell (Shape Earth) power.

True, I was just referring to most by-the-book guard paranormals like the bharghest or hellhound which are really worse in a lot of ways to a non dual-natured guard animal.

Also as a note, dual natured creatures CANNOT project unless they have actual magical skills of some kind IIRC.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Apr 1 2005, 08:08 AM
Post #14

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

The best duel natured critter for guard duty would be the stormcrow. They're not very powerful, but they congregate in flocks of 100+. Its like the 100 girl scouts who overwhealm the physad. Nuke them from orbit doesn't work because they can fly. Its slow painfull death to any physical or astral intruder.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Apr 1 2005, 11:14 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
The best duel natured critter for guard duty would be the stormcrow. They're not very powerful, but they congregate in flocks of 100+. Its like the 100 girl scouts who overwhealm the physad. Nuke them from orbit doesn't work because they can fly. Its slow painfull death to any physical or astral intruder.

It doesn't matter if they can fly, the astral form can move at thousands of km per hour, and there's no range penalties on the astral as long as the mage has LOS. The mage, unless a Short Bus Mage, cannot be harmed by them while nuking astrally from a distance.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:49 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.