Reply to this topicStart new topic
> More Rumor Control and FAQ's!
Bull
post Mar 31 2005, 08:04 AM
Post #1

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

I'd like to send a big shout out to new Assistant Line Developer Arnie Trachtenberg and Adam's Jury's sister Ada for helping me put this together. Since there are so many questions going around, we thought we'd step in and answer a few more of your burning questions:

1. Is the core rules mechanic in SR4 going to remain the same? i.e. roll a number of dice equal to your skill or attribute against a TN and count how many of the dice are successful.

It is similar, but at the same time very different. We think you'll be very pleased at the unique way we have of both rolling the dice and counting out successes. Plus, the new Shadowrun Dice Sets™ will come with nifty lead shielding to prevent radiation posoining.

2. Will there be dice pools in SR4?

This question still confuses Assistant Line Developer Arnie Trachtenberg. He wonders what purpose swimming pools shaped like a dice serve. Ada and I echo that sentiment.

3. Has the Saito situation been resolved in the CFS by 2070?

No. In fact, the situation only gets worse. When General Saito falls in love with the elven daughter of a member of the Tir Council that can't be named at this time. This leads to a conflict within his own beliefs, and his troops splinter and hostilities escalate rapidly. Assistant Line Developer Arnie Trachtenberg hinted at a Harlequin Style adventure set for 2006 which deals with this plot.

4. Will any of the AAA megacorps die or become significantly stronger due to the matrix crash?

Yes. Several AA's will decide to merge in an attampt to gain power, and form a new AAA. Meanwhile Cross and Novatech go to war. Sides are chosen by all of the Mega's, and in the end, both companies fold and are bought out by the various other mega's who "encouraged" the Corp War. Resident Loon Art Dankwalther is severely pissed at being left out, and declares war on the remaining mega's. No one pays him any attention.

5. Will there be a complete rehash of the vehicle rules in order to implement them into combat more easily? Will the rules be able to do a shootout chase with different vehicles?

That's 2 questions. I was ging to disqualify you, but I'll be nice. Plus, Ada thinks you're cute, so you get a freebie.

At this time vehicle combat is planned to be a part of the new ShadowDiceless™ Combat System. This new system will hopefully encourage a fast paced, cinematic "widescreen" feel to certain areas of the game that were once bogged down in rules and dice. Now you simply tell the GM what you want to do, and he tells you how badly you failed!

6. I would really like to see some comments on what we might expect as far as the magic system is concerned. How much change and the very general nature would be nice...

Magic will likewise be using the ShadowDiceless™ Combat System, so see above. However, it should be noted that there will be far more opions for magically active characters. Shamanic Traditions will be further fleshed out and differentiated from each other, so that they're more than just a little flavor and some dice bonuses. Mages will be able to access different tradtions, such as Necormancy, Nethermancy, and Technomancy.

7. We've heard about a Matrix 2.0 and how Deckers and Riggers are being merged into Hackers, and how Augmented Reality and Wireless connectivity will be the tool that frees Hackers to become mobile digital wizards. How ubiquitous will this Augmented Reality be to the everyday citizen in 2070, and will it require an implant to access? If there is an implant, is there a non-cyberware alternative? And finally, how does all this wireless connectivity impact the SINless?

As I said in another thread, almost every character in the Shadowrun universe will have wireless nanotech imbedded within their brain. It's a standard procedure for al newborns in 2070, and is cheap enough that most folks have them. For those that are too poor or too technophobic to get the nanite injection, there are trode rigs that can interface with the augmented reality.

As forthe SINless, they don't actually exist, so who the frag cares about them?

8. Are we going to have more art (pictures) of equipment and other gear in this new edition?

Not at first. It's just not financially feasible to do in today's market, with printing costs and artists fees being what they are. Not to mention the sheer overwhelming amount of gear there is in Shadowrun.

However, FanPro does plan to release limited edition, hardbound, full color gear Books that will include full pictures and shadowtech for every item in the Shadowrun universe. This was mentioned in the earlier Rumor thread, but since then the plans for this series have changed slightly.

The new book series will be called Encyclopedia Shadowrunnica, and will be a 10 volume set. It will include books such as "Cyberware", "Magical Artifacts", "Vehicles", "Guns, guns, and more Guns", as well as more useful books such as "Sears Catalogue 2070" and "Modern Clotheshorse". Now fans of the SHadowrun universe will never have to use their imagination again to envision what the objects in the world look like!

The Ecyclopedia set will be subscription based, with the first volume appearing in January of 2006, and a new book shipping each month. Fans will be able to acquire a subscription for the low price of $499.99 initially, with 6 additional payments of $99.99 after.

Order today, as supplies are limited!

9. Is some "mobile digital wizard" going to be able to perform in a vehicle using a control method similar to captain's chair the same as a 3rd edition jacked-in rigger in direct control?

Basically, yes. Using a the Wireless Nanotech Interface, everybody is able to remotely rig their vehicle. Rigger-Specialized Hackers will simply do it better than everyone else.

10. Is the new dice mechanic at present completely different from the current one, or is it at least familiar?

Yes and no.

11. If it is different, how much of a learning curve was there when it was first introduced to you and how do you, personally, like it compared to the old one?

Depends on whether or not you play D20. Studies and playtesting have shown that it takes the average d20 player far longer to learn the new mechanics. There is no logical reason for this that our scientists can find, other than possible brain tumors caused by D20.

12. Are Attributes and Skills of equal merit to the new system for purposes of task resolution, or is one (you don't have to say which one) clearly more dominant position to the other as far as determing success is concerned?

Both are important, but numbers are arbitrary anyways. It will be up to each individual GM to decide how much emphasis each gets in his or her own game.

13. If the mechanic is new, is the curve it creates an actual curve, or a freaky convolted mess like the current mechanic?

The current system is incredibly easy and straight forward, so I'm not sure what you mean.

14. If it is a new mechanic, is it fun? And if you had to choose between the two mechanics, which one would you rather use?

If a dice is rolled in the forest, and no one is around to hear it, is it still fun? When nyou can answer that question, you will know all.

15. Actually, anyone else more worried that the Mage/Shaman identities will be folded together, like the Decker/Rigger move? In the interest of streamlining, those two probably have more in common than Riggers and Deckers.

Mages and Shamans are already folded together. They're identical except in very small, flavorful ways, with Spirits vs Elementals being the sole exception. However, in Shadowrun 4th Edition we're adding some more options to the mix, to help further seperate the two. Expect Riggers and Deckers to be similar to this design. Identical at their core, but with enough flavor and options to make them seem different.

16. oh my god! he didn't mention adepts! THAT MEANS THEY"RE GONNA BE TURNED INTO CATGIRLS!

Actually, Catgirls will be a new playable race. They can be Adepts, Mundane, or even Mages, Hackers or Street Samurai.

17. They're not moving away from generic D6s, are they?

Correct. We now use our patented 2d6™ System, which will require special, unique dice to play.

18. As I understand it, the d6 will still have a strong place in SR4. for instance, it's used for shortsword damage, and also determines the Invisible Way adept's hp per level.

Incorrect. 2d6 determines both of these, and much much more.

19. Does this mean that there are different types of dice?[/b}

In a way. Player will purchase our Shadowrun Dice Sets™ and each set will be unique unto itself. We can't divulge any other information at this time however.

[b]20. A favorite part of the matrix of mine is the Otaku. Will they be staying on and in what capacity with the dawn of the augmented reality Matrix 2.0?

See the Rumor COntrol thread with regardsw to the Otaku-centric RPG Tits & Zits.

21. Will the Matrix 2.0 be more like the Astral plane where a hacker will shift over while leaving his physical body behind and do things like jack into a nearby computer or take control of a nearby camera and what not? That's what I think of when I hear the term digital wizard.

No comment.

22. Not a question, a demand. Don't kill Novatech, they are my favorite megacorp. We ran First Run and got to meet Richard Villiers and he was nice to us, don't let anything happen to him!

Not an answer, a demand. Not only will he die, but you will personally kill him in the first adventure arc of SR4!

23. Any chances of giving us some info on some hot new tech in the more distant future of SR4? What has developed? Plasma weapons or something like that?

Plasma Weapons? Wouldn;t know anything about that. Nope, nosiree. No plasma weapons here...

24. Any new types of goblinization or SURGE, any new metavariants or new races in general?

Catgirls, for one.

25. Any new types of goblinization or SURGE, any new metavariants or new races in general?

Atually, yes. See the 1st Edition Module Dragonhunt and Eliohann's entry in Dragons of the Sixth World.

More later!!

Bull -- Evil Faqqer
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SykoBear
post Mar 31 2005, 08:43 AM
Post #2

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,519

Bull, aren't you a day early for this? :biggrin:

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Mar 31 2005, 08:53 AM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

No, he isn't. Bull's like that 367 days a year.

And you better watch out, Bull, I think you accidently let a few reassuringly real answers slip out in that batch. You're slipping.

+Quote Post
Paul
post Mar 31 2005, 11:38 AM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 1,514

You really ought to add a disclaimer to these. It takes a few sentences to realize you're just posting a joke.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Mar 31 2005, 11:46 AM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

It's Bull, people. The screen name is all the disclaimer anyone should need. :D

Bull: The Dumpshocker, The Myth, The Legend

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Mar 31 2005, 12:27 PM
Post #6

Chrome to the Core

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,715

:notworthy:

+Quote Post
Demosthenes
post Mar 31 2005, 12:29 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,850

Bull doesn't need a disclaimer.

Bull is a disclaimer!
8)

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Mar 31 2005, 01:06 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

QUOTE (Bull)
When General Saito falls in love with the elven daughter of a member of the Tir Council that can't be named at this time.  This leads to a conflict within his own beliefs, and his troops splinter and hostilities escalate rapidly.  Assistant Line Developer Arnie Trachtenberg hinted at a Harlequin Style adventure set for 2006 which deals with this plot.

I'm really looking forward to the musical version of this one. Will they just adapt new lyrics from the West Side Story melodies, or are is Fanpro bringing a composer on board? :rotfl:

+Quote Post
Adam
post Mar 31 2005, 01:18 PM
Post #9

Prime Runner

Member No.: 51

Composers? Got them.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Mar 31 2005, 01:41 PM
Post #10

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

Weird melding of answers and sillyness... kinda like staring at one of those "magic eye" drawings.

Of course I'm one of those that could never see the 3D picture.

"Ahh, a sailboat"

+Quote Post
Bull
post Mar 31 2005, 01:49 PM
Post #11

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

26. 6) Will there be any type of edge/flaw mechanic built into the core rules, and if so, is it going to be handled in a way similar to how it's been handled or will is it completely new in its implentation? As a follow-up, if there is one, how do you like it compared to the current way of things?

I'll let Assistant Line Developer Arnie Trachtenberg field this question.

Edges and Flaws are for sissies. It's pansey-ass coddling for the little kiddies who play these games nowadays. All they want is crap they can ignore so they can powergame. In house, about half the flaws in the book we call "Fledges", because they're used as edges in disguise. Munchkins, the lot of them! Back in my day, you didn't pick no sissy Edges and Flaws for bonus points and to help twink out your character. You made a background, and you added in problems and fears and addictions and waht not, because it was what made a character human! You played it up cause you were a real roleplayer! Back in my day...

He goes on for a couple more paragraphs, but you get the point. Despite his opinions though, yes, there will be Edges and Flaws. They will work much the same, though expect Edges to cost a lot more, and expect flaws to either be worth a lot less, to have much better defined and more heavy handed penalties, or mostly a bit of both. We feel strongly that Flaws should be just that, a flaw, something that actively hiunders your character on a regular basis

27. Any hope of getting new novels in SR4?

Yes, there are 3 books already written, and 9 more on the way. However, these are only being published in Sanscrit, and will only be available for some reason at 7-11's in Chicago, Iowa, Mississippi, and France.

Bull.

+Quote Post
lord_cack
post Mar 31 2005, 02:11 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 6,853

Man I always knew that college education would pay off....."Who speaks sanskrit?"....Thats what my family always said to me....you see everything does have a purpose.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Mar 31 2005, 03:49 PM
Post #13

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

I really need to start taking my heart medication before reading these... Short sword damage. Heh.

It's funny, I keep hearing people say they should make up their own rumors, so they can properly control (or deny) them. Only in Shadowrun do you actually get to see it happen...

+Quote Post
Jon Szeto
post Mar 31 2005, 04:00 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 119

QUOTE (Bull @ Mar 31 2005, 04:04 AM)
Magic will likewise be using the ShadowDiceless™ Combat System, so see above. However, it should be noted that there will be far more opions for magically active characters.  Shamanic Traditions will be further fleshed out and differentiated from each other, so that they're more than just a little flavor and some dice bonuses.  Mages will be able to access different tradtions, such as Necormancy, Nethermancy, and Technomancy.

No, that is NOT a typo.

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Mar 31 2005, 04:18 PM
Post #15

Karma Police

Member No.: 6,505

All of this is bull

+Quote Post
Jon Szeto
post Mar 31 2005, 04:44 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 119

No, haven't you been reading? Bull may have been writing most of it, but Arnie and Ada have been helping out a lot.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 31 2005, 04:40 PM
Post #17

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

Well of course it's Bull.

What I'd like to know is how you can have a ShadowDiceless system that uses the mysterious 2d6 dice. :)

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Mar 31 2005, 04:50 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,960

wow your quick...

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 31 2005, 04:54 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

QUOTE (Bull)
24. Any new types of goblinization or SURGE, any new metavariants or new races in general?

Catgirls, for one.

why must you hate freedom, and love terror?

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Mar 31 2005, 05:00 PM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

I appreciate some insulting response to the questions posed here.

Also, on a somewhat serious note, why are requests for more illustrations of equipment not being taken seriously? The DnD books did— and quite well, I should add— and while I realize WotC has more money than FanPro/Wizkids can dream of, I find it hard to believe that it's really impracticable. It doesn't need to be excessive, but the use-your-imagination-for-everything argument gets pretty annoying when shoved down your throat.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Mar 31 2005, 05:31 PM
Post #21

Prime Runner

Also, on a somewhat serious note, why are requests for more illustrations of equipment not being taken seriously?

Because Bull isn't taking anything seriously in his posts.

Good thing he's just a playtester, huh? ;-)

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Mar 31 2005, 05:25 PM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Adam)
Good thing he's just a playtester, huh?

He's not just a playtester, he's also List.Member.Grumpy, oh wait, excuse me, Fourm.Member.Grumpy, as this isn't ShadowRN.

+Quote Post
Schism
post Mar 31 2005, 05:42 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 3,290

QUOTE (Bull)
3. Has the Saito situation been resolved in the CFS by 2070?

No.  In fact, the situation only gets worse.  When General Saito falls in love with the elven daughter of a member of the Tir Council that can't be named at this time.  This leads to a conflict within his own beliefs, and his troops splinter and hostilities escalate rapidly.  Assistant Line Developer Arnie Trachtenberg hinted at a Harlequin Style adventure set for 2006 which deals with this plot.

Oooohhhh! More elf ears. Can hardly wait. :grinbig:

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Mar 31 2005, 05:36 PM
Post #24

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

QUOTE (Adam)
Also, on a somewhat serious note, why are requests for more illustrations of equipment not being taken seriously?

Because Bull isn't taking anything seriously in his posts.

Good thing he's just a playtester, huh? ;-)

If you don't mind, I'll be in my corner grumbling furiously.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Mar 31 2005, 05:47 PM
Post #25

Prime Runner

I'm not sure why ... but sure, go right ahead.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:33 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.