Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dice rituals, I'm not talking about magic here
HMHVV Hunter
post Apr 2 2005, 05:38 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,840

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but when it comes to rolling dice, I feel like I can't roll the target number to save my life.

So I was wondering, since I'm a superstitious sort of guy: what sort of weird rituals do you guys do while rolling dice (in SR or any other RPG for that matter) that seems to help out a bit? Chants? Waving them around? Rolling one at a time?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Apr 2 2005, 05:55 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

I have a "cube." That's 36 dice in a set and they all have to have my MOJO on them to work.

Don't ask.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Apr 2 2005, 06:03 AM
Post #3

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

I always set mine in rows with the 6's up. I have this strange idea tha if I use the same dice that way long enough, eventually gravit will somehow move the molecules and make the wieghted dice.
I also dumo them all out at once when ever possible. I find that when in a bad situation, the sound of a lot of dice rolling from MY hands (not the GM's) is comforting!
And of course I always microwave the dice that do bad to teach the others a lesson!

+Quote Post
Capt. Dave
post Apr 2 2005, 06:23 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,183

Hmm. I just pick some dice up and roll a ton of sixes. :D
My dice-fu is strong.

Edit: You're a sick bastard, Smiley.

+Quote Post
lorthazar
post Apr 2 2005, 06:24 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,789

I play with the standard red, green, and white dice. White are skills, red are pool, and green are karma. I know it sounds odd but hey I once survived a 15 round burst from a Vindicator with only a light wound, when I rolled like this. I'm not gonna mess with success.

+Quote Post
Rieal82
post Apr 2 2005, 06:26 AM
Post #6

Target

From: charlotte maga sprawl in the confederated american states AKA hell
Member No.: 7,018

i have to have all my dice set up in a really odd way. all in there place like so

+Quote Post
Critias
post Apr 2 2005, 07:29 AM
Post #7

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

At the start of a session, while everyone's getting munchies or going over their character or (I hate that) finishing their karma/xp expenditures from last game (which everyone else did last game)...that dead time, right before the game starts? At that time, I get whatever dice I'm gonna use for the night, and I roll them and roll them and roll them until each one is "1" up. Once one comes up with a "1," I just leave it and roll all the others. When I'm done -- right about the time the GM pours his Dew and sits down and clears his throat to start the game -- I've got all of 'em sitting in "1," waiting to be rolled for the first time in game.

Hey, what're the odds it'll come up two 1's in a row?! (okay, so I know it's the same odds as anything else, but it's what I tell myself -- lightning striking twice, etc, etc)

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Apr 2 2005, 07:32 AM
Post #8

Resident Legionnaire

Member No.: 6,550

QUOTE (Critias)
At the start of a session, while everyone's getting munchies or going over their character or (I hate that) finishing their karma/xp expenditures from last game (which everyone else did last game)...that dead time, right before the game starts? At that time, I get whatever dice I'm gonna use for the night, and I roll them and roll them and roll them until each one is "1" up. Once one comes up with a "1," I just leave it and roll all the others. When I'm done -- right about the time the GM pours his Dew and sits down and clears his throat to start the game -- I've got all of 'em sitting in "1," waiting to be rolled for the first time in game.

Hey, what're the odds it'll come up two 1's in a row?! (okay, so I know it's the same odds as anything else, but it's what I tell myself -- lightning striking twice, etc, etc)

So, how's it work so far?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 2 2005, 07:43 AM
Post #9

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I really dislike anyone else touching my dice. In my opinion, it's almost as bad as someone fooling with my tarot. I don't want other people's psychic imprints on them.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Apr 2 2005, 08:39 AM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

I used to not let anybody touch my dice and lay them down all 6s showing. but then a friend lost all his and has to borrow mine (I would prefer not but its that or no game) since that started I have been loosing a lot of dice so now I don’t have enough, that don’t spend long enough in my hands to lay out any more and my successes are suffering for it.

I think a large pat of it is that my friend likes to bully dice while I am kind to them. The mixed messages really screw them up.

Edward

+Quote Post
Catsnightmare
post Apr 2 2005, 09:03 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 90

Thats why I always carry a spare set of loaner dice with me. Usually that's my Blood & Gunsmoke set, they roll absolute shit for me, but roll fair to hot for anyone else that uses them.

+Quote Post
Syd
post Apr 2 2005, 09:35 AM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 7,269

I just always use my lucky cube. I've got a lot of dice: probably 30 sets of D20 dice, 15 unique pairs of d6's, and 4 different cubes of the 12mm dice. One of those cubes kicks serious ass, so that's the one I play with. I GM with em too, and it pisses off my group :)

Now, for D&D, I roll all my D20's a bunch at the start of every session to see which one(s) seem to be rolling well that day.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Apr 2 2005, 09:42 AM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

I have a pair of jade dice that I roll on a naked 19-year old female Japanese masseuse for luck.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 2 2005, 09:43 AM
Post #14

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Catsnightmare)
Thats why I always carry a spare set of loaner dice with me.

That's exactly what I do. I acquired a heap of dice that I don't personally like to use, and they are only for loaning (or even giving) out to others who don't have theirs.

The dice I like to use are for me alone though. :D

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Apr 2 2005, 09:53 AM
Post #15

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

Nothing like the good ol' "Pound o' Dice"

In the requisite Crown Royal bag of course

+Quote Post
Critias
post Apr 2 2005, 10:14 AM
Post #16

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
QUOTE (Critias @ Apr 2 2005, 02:29 AM)
Hey, what're the odds it'll come up two 1's in a row?!  (okay, so I know it's the same odds as anything else, but it's what I tell myself -- lightning striking twice, etc, etc)

Pretty well. I'd say they only come back up on a 1, like, maybe 16% of the time or so. That's not too bad.

+Quote Post
Fygg Nuuton
post Apr 2 2005, 12:07 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,989

i have an issue that if ive been rolling poorly all night, and i need this roll really badly, i pick however many i need and throw them as hard as i can.

everytime its a great roll. i only use it in emergencies

the virgin sacrifices work well too

+Quote Post
psykotisk_overle...
post Apr 2 2005, 12:58 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,817

QUOTE (Critias)
QUOTE (FrostyNSO @ Apr 2 2005, 02:32 AM)
QUOTE (Critias @ Apr 2 2005, 02:29 AM)
Hey, what're the odds it'll come up two 1's in a row?!  (okay, so I know it's the same odds as anything else, but it's what I tell myself -- lightning striking twice, etc, etc)

Pretty well. I'd say they only come back up on a 1, like, maybe 16% of the time or so. That's not too bad.

I don't know if that was supposed to be a joke or not, but you are aware that about 16% is the chance of a d6 getting a 1 on any roll. (weak mojo)

I have a tendency of putting the dice with the 1 up, this is to drive out the bad ki/karma/mojo/whatever, but I think I'll be using your system from now on.

Silly little dice rituals I'm ok with, as long as they don't slow down the actual rolling part, such as people that always lett the dice tumbel around in their hand for ages before actually rolling. Using up game-time like that is very annoying for me.
A friend of mine always manage to drop his dice when he's rolling, and he's not even doing it on purpose, get's a bit boring after a while though, having to wait for him to search for his dice under the couch and whatnot.

+Quote Post
Bleak Knight
post Apr 2 2005, 01:26 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 7,280

Oh yeah. It's horrible.

You sit there GM'ing, and the guy has to make this one, really, really important roll. He shakes the dice about in his hand for a moment, then proceed to spill them out across the table.

Half of them fall to the floor. He swears. I swear. The other players swear. He vanishes beneath the table to find the dice. I smack my head into the table. He swears again. Someone else swears (I don't know who, because my eyes are staring into the table surface). He starts searching under the couch. I groan in mental agony. Someone moans. Then he finally find all the dice, pick them up, and toss them again. Half of them fall to the floor.

Pain.

Aside from that, he's a nice guy, an enthusiastic player, and fun.

EDIT: Oh, btw: First post. And me and Psykotisk game together.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Apr 2 2005, 01:26 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

It's not so much a ritual, but back when I was in high school I did a project for a "Math Fair" (Like a typical science fair, except the projects had to emphasize Mathematical techniques). I performed a statistical analysis on my collection of d6s, to see how close to the theoretical ideal of each face coming up 1/6th of the time each die was.

Essentially, I rolled each die a couple thousand time and recorded the results. Naturally, there were slight variances from the ideal with each die. On some, a particular number might come up ever so slightly more. The project took first place, and as a bouns, I now know the real expected probabilities on my d6s.

(One thing about making about 10k rolls on each of about 20 dice, you get to see the wierd rolls. Had one where the die spun on it's corner for aproximately 5 minutes before coming to rest. Long enough for me to go down the hall and call the rest of the household in to see it.)

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 2 2005, 01:21 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Based on Critias' earlier posts I'd say he's well aware of that, psykotisk_overlegen. And likewise, I don't mind little rituals no matter how silly, as long as they don't take too long. The shaking dice in your hand for ages thing is really frustrating.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Apr 2 2005, 01:52 PM
Post #22

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

I always have them laying on the table with the 6's up. Ocassionally speak to them, treat them well and give them some free time so they can socialize :D

+Quote Post
Maimer
post Apr 2 2005, 03:04 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 7,188

I've got two things that I always do with my dice. Although one is not really a ritual. I keep my SR dice in a seperate crown bag. I don't want the cooties from D20's and other odd dice (I have a 30 sider for some odd reason) rubbing off on my D6's.

I GM frequently. As I am setting up, I get the GM screen out, poor out all my dice from the SR bag and start picking them up in matching pairs. How they land is not all that important, but when I line them up, they come out of the pile in pairs of dice.

+Quote Post
Catsnightmare
post Apr 2 2005, 05:58 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 90

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
In the requisite Crown Royal bag of course

Speaking of which now that most of my family has given up drinking Crown, and none of my friends and family work in liquor stores anymore. Where can you get those wonderful little purple bags short of buying the bottle. All my Crown bags have worn out, torn beyond repair, or been eaten and I want to replace them.

+Quote Post
Fester
post Apr 2 2005, 06:10 PM
Post #25

Target

Member No.: 7,098

Where can you find jade dice - i need some now.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:44 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.