IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Seeking a Really Rockin' Sniper Rifle..., ...rather on the affordable side.
tschofie
post Apr 6 2005, 03:56 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,085

I'm looking for a rifle to replace the remington 950 that a newbie-level, human, unaugmented character is currently using. Price is definitely a factor -- no more than around 20k or so (factoring in street index.) Better range would be nice, if possible, and the weapon needs to be relatively versatile, as the character has no other real weapons skills. What would you pick?

_____
The best armour is to keep out of gunshot.
--Francis Bacon
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Apr 6 2005, 04:12 PM
Post #2

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

Just as a note, all Sniper Rifles and sport rifles use the same ranges. AFAIK you won't find one with a better range.

That being said, Walther WA-2100. It's just sexy. ;)

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Apr 6 2005, 04:16 PM
Post #3

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

20K for a rifle? You could probably buy four of five of them for that much. Two sites I'd point you towards would be Raygun's and this one - should be fairly easy to convert them to Shadowrun numbers. It'd probably help though if you gave people a little more information to work with. How are they going to use it?

If you're sticking to canon rules/firearms though, staying with a sports rifle with a rating three scope and/or SL2 is probably the best thing to do since it's legal and you can get a permit for it.

+Quote Post
tschofie
post Apr 6 2005, 07:00 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 7,085

Yeah, that's 20k with street markup factored in. So the price on a Walther is around 25k -- which may be a little too steep to be an option. But sexy -- yeah, I'll second that.

Looking at Raygun's site -- wow! Very nice. I'll have to print off some of these pages and take them to game. What an excellent resource -- thanks muchly.

Cheers,
TS

_____

If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
--Abraham Lincoln

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 6 2005, 07:50 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

If you're sticking to canon, you have five, maybe six rifles to choose from.

If you're looking to real life, I'd suggest an M1A, M1A SOCOM 16, M1A SOCOM II, or M14 EBR.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 6 2005, 09:03 PM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Please remember that Raygun's guns are very, very not canon. They're designed to be more realistic, and are thus much more deadly. Whether this is desirable is a matter for your GM.

My advice would be to make one using the canon firearm creation guide. You'll be able to create a very reasonable gun, but it'll be pricey, so watch that aspect. The Extended Barrel option can give you the better range desired.

~J

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Apr 6 2005, 08:09 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Although in my games, I have not had trouble using Raygun's weapons alongside regular SR weapons, it may be due to characters picking guns more on the photo than the numbers. Also, we usally ignored any of the extra properties of different ammunition, just took the damage code, cost, weight (for the rare occasions it was ever used) and any recoil consequences.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 6 2005, 09:27 PM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

The following rifles may give you some or all of what you want.

The Generico Rifle

Sniper Rifle

Conc. —, ammo 6(m), SS (is that correct for a sniper rifle frame? It may be a bug in the SR3FD), 15S, 6.2 kilograms, Avail 20/21 days, ¥5,775, SI 2.5, Legality 2-K, recoil comp. 1.

Other accessories: Barrel extension, easy breakdown, Ceramic Components 3.

The Ares Big Game Rifle:

Sport Rifle

Conc. —, ammo 10©, SA, 9S, 5.9 kilos, avail 13/16 days, ¥3,125, Legality 5P-F, RC 1.

Other accessories: melee hardening, extended barrel, ceramic components level 1.

Hopefully those are canon, I think the program's acting a bit weird.

~J

+Quote Post
Aes
post Apr 6 2005, 09:36 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,971

Can't recall the price off-hand (BBB at home), but my old sniper PC had good experiences with the Ranger Arms SM3. It's in the BBB and you can disassemble it and fit it into a small breifcase in 3 complex actions. Works wonders for mobility. And at 14S, it packs a potent punch.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Apr 6 2005, 10:43 PM
Post #10

King of the Hobos

The Steyr SSG, Ray's write-up, seems to be fairly well received and at a fifteen hundred bucks a throw can't be too bad. For top of the line rifles you could look at the Accuracy Internal L96/AW series of rifles. At a little over four thousand dollars each though they're a little on the pricey side but you get what you pay for I suppose. :) Surprised Raygun missed them off his site.

QUOTE (Aes)
Can't recall the price off-hand (BBB at home), but my old sniper PC had good experiences with the Ranger Arms SM3.

But from what I remember if you sneezed near or looked at it funny it went funny on you.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 6 2005, 10:55 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

QUOTE (BitBasher)
Just as a note, all Sniper Rifles and sport rifles use the same ranges. AFAIK you won't find one with a better range.

there you go, mixing up reality and SR again. there are seperate range entries for sport rifles and sniper rifles.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 6 2005, 09:51 PM
Post #12

Manus Celer Dei

And he forgot the long barrel option, but I caught that one above.

~J

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Apr 6 2005, 10:01 PM
Post #13

Mostly Harmless

Member No.: 176

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Please remember that Raygun's guns are very, very not canon. They're designed to be more realistic, and are thus much more deadly. Whether this is desirable is a matter for your GM.

Please not that when it comes to sniper rifles, the majority of those found on my site are in fact intended to be more realistic, and as such, are actually less deadly (read: lower Damage Code) than several of those found in canon, but may have other benefits such as greater range, semi-auto, etc...

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Apr 6 2005, 10:05 PM
Post #14

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (BitBasher)

there you go, mixing up reality and SR again. there are seperate range entries for sport rifles and sniper rifles.

That makes me want to bang my head against something....

+Quote Post
Aes
post Apr 6 2005, 10:11 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,971

QUOTE (FlakJacket)
QUOTE (Aes)
Can't recall the price off-hand (BBB at home), but my old sniper PC had good experiences with the Ranger Arms SM3.

But from what I remember if you sneezed near or looked at it funny it went funny on you.

If you used it in regular combat running around, yes. But if it's used strictly as a sniper's weapon it works just fine. Just keep a pistol for close encounters ahd you'll be fine.

+Quote Post
The Grifter
post Apr 6 2005, 10:59 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,918

Personally, I always opt for the Barret.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Apr 6 2005, 11:24 PM
Post #17

King of the Hobos

QUOTE (Aes)
If you used it in regular combat running around, yes. But if it's used strictly as a sniper's weapon it works just fine. Just keep a pistol for close encounters ahd you'll be fine.

But then you're stuck sitting outside most of the time covering whilst the others have all the fun. :) Find something that's a bit more ruggedised and go the marksman route IMO.

QUOTE (The Grifter)
Personally, I always opt for the Barret.

Aahhhh. *Dismissive hand gestures* Barrett's are for amateurs that can't make headshots. :P

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Apr 7 2005, 01:03 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,630

I don't know what the rules are for the SR version of the Barrett (the Model 121, isn't it?), but the RL version, the M-82A1 (that's the civilian and police model--the military version is the M-107) breaks down into two pieces--the upper-receiver/barrel assembly (which would include the telescopic sight and mount, if one is mounted), and the lower receiver and buttstock assembly (which includes the trigger group and magazine housing)--just by removing a couple of retaining pins.

The larger of the two subassemblies--the receiver and barrel section--is about four feet long. When disassembled in this manner, the weapon would easily fit into a carrying case designed to carry an electronic keyboard, or one of the larger makes of mountain climber's backpack.

--Foreigner

This post has been edited by Foreigner: Apr 7 2005, 01:03 AM

+Quote Post
toturi
post Apr 7 2005, 12:11 AM
Post #19

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Unless you are a dedicated solo sniper (even if you do have a spotter), you do not really need the range of a sniper rifle. If you are just covering a team, use a sport or assault rifle. A AUG CSL with SL2 is pretty good, even in a sniper role. Remember to configure into carbine mode to use Sport Rifle ranges.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 7 2005, 01:47 AM
Post #20

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (tschofie)
I'm looking for a rifle to replace the remington 950 that a newbie-level, human, unaugmented character is currently using.

What's the problem with the 950? Couldn't the character just get it modified to better suit his needs instead of buying a dedicated Sniper rifle that is all but imposible to take anywhere?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 7 2005, 03:58 AM
Post #21

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (Raygun @ Apr 6 2005, 05:01 PM)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Apr 6 2005, 09:03 PM)

Please not that when it comes to sniper rifles, the majority of those found on my site are in fact intended to be more realistic, and as such, are actually less deadly (read: lower Damage Code) than several of those found in canon, but may have other benefits such as greater range, semi-auto, etc...

Hm, you've got a point. I had not noted that aspect of it. Either way, it's trouble mixing sense and SR3 firearms willy-nilly :)

~J

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 7 2005, 04:12 AM
Post #22

Runner

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Either way, it's trouble mixing sense and SR3 firearms willy-nilly :)

Truth.

Also, as others have noted, sniper rifles are far too specialized to be useful as primary weapons for anyone, and any sniper-centric character should first be armed with a pistol/machine pistol/pdw and battle rifle/marksman rifle, hence suggestions of M1A and M14 variants. And the M14 EBR is goddamn hot, at that.

If you really want to stick to canon, you don't have much to pick from. The Remington sport rifles are really best as primary weapons, and should not be underestimated for utility. You'll probably never need sniper rifle range anyway.

+Quote Post
Krazy
post Apr 7 2005, 03:18 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,200

More Range?? ok, perhaps your game is different from mine, but 750m is quite a long way. 1 km is like (making this up) 15 blocks, wow. I'd go with a souped up assult rifle, that gets you 550m and you can lay down suppressive fire if need be. athough 800m from a scoped light machinegun and the suppressive fire capabilty is even nicer. but you did say he only had rifles as a skill. so just modify your 950, custom grip/stock for recoil, rate3 scope with rangefinder, low light and thermal (I think three is the limit on options) and you have a slick peice of gear. if you have CC you could do custom ammo as well.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 7 2005, 03:40 AM
Post #24

Manus Celer Dei

1 kilometer is over five hundred Smoots!

Please don't guess with your units, it doesn't help anyone :)

~J

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 7 2005, 04:17 AM
Post #25

Runner

My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:43 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.