Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Modified Rule of Six, ...and "always having a shot"
GunnerJ
post Apr 7 2005, 06:09 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,634

I've tried, since SR4 was announced, to stay current on all the important discussions, but alas, I have recently fallen behind. So, if an idea like what I am about to suggest has already been brought up, my apologies.

Some people seem worried that the new system will remove the possibility that existed in SR3 to always be theoretically able to succeed, no matter how hard the task. This is because the Rule of Six made it so that no matter how high the TN was, there was a theoretical chance that at least a single die could hit it. With the new system, it is feared, this will go away. If you need at least X successes against a TN of 5 and you have less than X dice to roll, tough luck.

I don't think it necessarily has to be this way. The "always have a shot" feel of SR3 can be maintained in SR4 with a simple reworking of the Rule of Six. Basically, if you get a 6 on a die roll, not only do you have a success, you can roll that die again. This process does not terminate, so if you roll a 6 again, you get another success and another re-roll. If, on a re-roll, you fail, then you stop and have as many successes as the roll generated so far. Same with a 5 on a re-roll, except you get another success before stopping.

In this way, even a single D6 has a theoretical chance of generating any number of successes. It seems a very basic idea, so I'd bet someone else has thought of it; so again, sorry if this is redundant. But I figure this idea is worth a(nother) mention, at least for a potential house rule.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ellery
post Apr 7 2005, 06:17 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,298

It has been mentioned in several places, and I think it's a very good idea. It's especially nice that it's occurring to a number of different people. It has nice statistical properties, too--smoothing out probabilities so you don't jump from an action being only "kind of hard" to "utterly impossible" when the number of successes needed goes up by one or a one-die penalty is applied or someone with one lower skill tries the same task.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 7 2005, 05:17 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Yep, at least by mfb, Eyeless Blond and me, and probably quite a few others as well, in several threads. It's easy to miss these things, though, because there's dozens of rather long threads in which everything about SR4 is discussed. And yeah, as more and more people are coming up with this themselves, I'm starting to think this would be a very good idea -- so much so that I really, really hope the developers haven't decided on a different method of getting rid of impossible tests yet (unless this different method is absolutely brilliant and nobody here has yet come up with it).

This post has been edited by Austere Emancipator: Apr 7 2005, 06:28 PM

+Quote Post
Penta
post Apr 7 2005, 05:24 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 500

Every method is fucking brilliant until it meets reality.

Yes, I'm bitter, cynical, and dissatisfied with life.

Ergo, I play RPGs.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Apr 7 2005, 10:15 PM
Post #5

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

Honestly I don't know how it could work any differently. If the vast majority of tests have a Threshold, then rolling 1 or 2 dice would mean you have no chance of actually pulling off most tasks under such a mechanic without such a method of (possibly) netting more than one success per die.

I really think it'd be a great mechanic to add to such a system; in fact it's one I'd like to add to the current SR system for Success and Opposed Tests. Each die roll nets an extra success each time you beat the TN by 6. One of the things I think is odd about the current system is how you're limited in successes by the number of dice you roll; this would go toward changing that.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 7 2005, 10:33 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Honestly I don't know how it could work any differently.

Neither do I, but then I'm not an RPG designer.

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
[...] in fact [the multi-success /w 1 die mechanic is] one I'd like to add to the current SR system for Success and Opposed Tests.

Guess who already has. :)

+Quote Post
Synner
post Apr 7 2005, 10:40 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 185

Eyeless - The Aeonverse version of the nWoD rules actually had a variant on that which restricted it further but I can't for the life of me remember how it worked (have to dig out the books) - so my point? There are other ways of handling it.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 7 2005, 11:06 PM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

I personally think it's a very bad idea, as it seems to open up a magnitude of success that isn't reasonable (as opposed to the current exploding-dice method, in which a success is still a single success even if the TN is 24 and the roll was a 61).

~J

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Apr 7 2005, 11:12 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Just to give a bit more substance, I went and modified my SR4 success calculator to show what would happen with the Rule of Six I outlined.

Here is a sample of the old results, which doesn't use the new Rule of Six:

CODE
For 100000.0 rolls:
Average successes for 1 dice is 0.33368
Average successes for 2 dice is 0.66763
Average successes for 3 dice is 1.00079
Average successes for 4 dice is 1.32859
Average successes for 5 dice is 1.66718
Average successes for 6 dice is 1.99574
Average successes for 7 dice is 2.34018
Average successes for 8 dice is 2.66486
Average successes for 9 dice is 3.00747
Average successes for 10 dice is 3.33277
Average successes for 11 dice is 3.66099
Average successes for 12 dice is 3.99936
Average successes for 13 dice is 4.33072
Average successes for 14 dice is 4.66684
Average successes for 15 dice is 4.99718
Average successes for 16 dice is 5.33722
Average successes for 17 dice is 5.66404
Average successes for 18 dice is 5.99436
Average successes for 19 dice is 6.32825
Average successes for 20 dice is 6.66187
Average successes for 21 dice is 6.99238
Average successes for 22 dice is 7.33322
Average successes for 23 dice is 7.65661
Average successes for 24 dice is 7.99934
Average successes for 25 dice is 8.32793

Here's the results for rolling with the new Rule of Six:

CODE
For 100000.0 rolls:
Average successes for 1 dice is 0.40367
Average successes for 2 dice is 0.79871
Average successes for 3 dice is 1.1997
Average successes for 4 dice is 1.59618
Average successes for 5 dice is 2.00199
Average successes for 6 dice is 2.40159
Average successes for 7 dice is 2.7964
Average successes for 8 dice is 3.2053
Average successes for 9 dice is 3.59774
Average successes for 10 dice is 3.99779
Average successes for 11 dice is 4.40174
Average successes for 12 dice is 4.79707
Average successes for 13 dice is 5.21423
Average successes for 14 dice is 5.6
Average successes for 15 dice is 5.9991
Average successes for 16 dice is 6.40154
Average successes for 17 dice is 6.80289
Average successes for 18 dice is 7.20725
Average successes for 19 dice is 7.59984
Average successes for 20 dice is 8.00396
Average successes for 21 dice is 8.40999
Average successes for 22 dice is 8.80651
Average successes for 23 dice is 9.20198
Average successes for 24 dice is 9.59781
Average successes for 25 dice is 10.00305

For any interested, here's the code. First the old method sans reroll:

CODE
public int getHits(int dice)
{
 int result;
 int hits = 0;

for (int j = 0; j < dice; j++)
 {
  result = r.nextInt(6)+1;
  if (result >= 5) hits++;
 }

return hits;
}

Now, the new method with rerolls:

CODE
public int getRerollHits(int dice)
{
 int result;
 int hits = 0;

for (int j = 0; j < dice; j++)
 {
  result = r.nextInt(6)+1;
  if (result >= 5) hits++;
  int q = 0;
  while ((result == 6) && (q < 20))
  {
   result = r.nextInt(6)+1;
   if (result >= 5) hits++;
   q++;
  }
 }

return hits;
}

Note, r is a random number generator. In Java, the NextInt(x) function of Random gets a number from 0 (inclusive) to x (exclusive), hence why result equals NextInt(6)+1. Also, I limited the number of rerolls to 20.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 7 2005, 11:15 PM
Post #10

Manus Celer Dei

Out of interest, why do you sample rolls? It seems to me it would be better (both to avoid statistical anomalies and to avoid any weaknesses in your RNG) to just calculate the theoretical expected successes. There are visible anomalies creeping in there all over the place (look at expectation for one die sans NRo6, for instance; you've been rolling high).

~J

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Apr 7 2005, 11:17 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

The results that I feel are most important to compare are for 6 dice and 12 dice. 6 dice represents SR4's average ability, and the successes on a 6D6 roll represent what an average man on the street with intermediate training can pull off. 12 represents the most exceptional ability in SR4 from chargen and without enhancements from areas other than attributes and skills. The successes from a 12D6 roll represent what an exceptional individual with expert training can accomplish. I contend a Shadowrunner will roll dice closer to 12 than to 6 in most cases, but for establishing a global norm, 6 dice results are important.

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Apr 7 2005, 11:22 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Apr 7 2005, 11:15 PM)
Out of interest, why do you sample rolls? It seems to be it would be better (both to avoid statistical anomalies and to avoid any weaknesses in your RNG) to just calculate the theoretical expected successes. There are visible anomalies creeping in there all over the place (look at expectation for one die, for instance; you've been rolling high).

~J

I sample the rolls because just doing formulaic analysis, at least without the rerolls, is a matter of just dividing the dice rolled by 3. I wanted something closer to what actually rolling the dice would get. As for the reroll method, I lack the mathematical ability to calculate expected averages for it.

What do you mean an anomoly on one die? Look at the results sans rerolling: one die averages 0.33368 successes, which is very close to 1/3, which is what we expect. I'm not sure I follow you.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 7 2005, 11:23 PM
Post #13

Manus Celer Dei

You just noted it yourself, it's off by over three millionths. You're not, paradoxically, going to get closer to actually rolling the dice by actually rolling the dice, at least not while your dierolling doesn't approach infinity.

~J

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Apr 7 2005, 11:24 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Um... so?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 7 2005, 11:25 PM
Post #15

Manus Celer Dei

So it's wrong, and for at least that portion it's easily corrected. I'll see if I can figure the formula for the with-reroll side; it shouldn't be difficult, once I get some caffeine in me.

Actually, I think what bugs me isn't that it's wrong, but that it was far more work to do what you did than to get the precise value. I'm really not sure what the point of it was.

~J

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Apr 7 2005, 11:25 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Look, I'm doing this for fun, because I want to make guesstimates about a P&P RPG. I'm not building a bridge here. Lives aren't on the line. Is there some reason why we need accuracy to the millionth degree?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 7 2005, 11:26 PM
Post #17

Manus Celer Dei

As my ninja-edit states, the part that gets to me is that it was extra work for reduced accuracy.

~J

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Apr 7 2005, 11:27 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Actually, I think what bugs me isn't that it's wrong, but that it was far more work to do what you did than to get the precise value. I'm really not sure what the point of it was.

Well, let's see. I'm not a math/stats wizard. I am a (fairly, IMHO) competant programmer. I enjoy programming, further, more than doing statistical analysis, and it's easier for me. Were I able to do the analysis you suggest, I would have, probably. But I am not able to do it. Are you starting to get the picture?

Maybe we could discuss something relevent now? Like the 6D6 and 12D6 results perhaps?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 7 2005, 11:36 PM
Post #19

Manus Celer Dei

Fair enough.

Incidentally, unless I messed up my math, you should expect exactly .4 successes per die with exploding sixes (which jibes with your findings).

So what about 6 and 12 dice are we looking at? We've got 2.4 and 4.8 successes, so that suggests that any 3+ Threshhold test is fairly hard, any 5+ very difficult indeed. Doesn't seem like a lot of modifier wiggle-room for Threshold…

~J

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Apr 7 2005, 11:38 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

QUOTE (GunnerJ @ Apr 7 2005, 11:17 PM)
The results that I feel are most important to compare are for 6 dice and 12 dice. 6 dice represents SR4's average ability, and the successes on a 6D6 roll represent what an average man on the street with intermediate training can pull off. 12 represents the most exceptional ability in SR4 from chargen and without enhancements from areas other than attributes and skills. The successes from a 12D6 roll represent what an exceptional individual with expert training can accomplish. I contend a Shadowrunner will roll dice closer to 12 than to 6 in most cases, but for establishing a global norm, 6 dice results are important.

My intention here is to show that while exploding sixes allow the theoretical chance to pull anything off, they don't grant a huge number of average greater successes.

6D6: w/o reroll avg = about 2, w/ reroll avg = about 2.4
12D6: w/o reroll avg = about 4, w/ reroll avg = about 4.8

It's not a huge deal, and it allows for something that I at least think is important, as do several others.

EDIT:

Incidentally, unless I messed up my math, you should expect exactly .4 successes per die with exploding sixes (which jibes with your findings).

The way I see it, they are very much close enough for my purposes.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 7 2005, 11:40 PM
Post #21

Manus Celer Dei

I see that you consider them important, but I'm not seeing what about them we're discussing. They've got an expected number of successes. Are we debating whether they should have more? Less?

~J

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Apr 7 2005, 11:43 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Er, see my latest edit. I was deciding how I wanted to phrase what I said.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 7 2005, 11:45 PM
Post #23

Manus Celer Dei

I pity anyone who has to read this after all of the edits :)

I think it's a better solution than doing nothing, certainly, but I'm up in the air as to whether or not I like it as a solution in general. I'll have to run some numbers.

~J

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Apr 7 2005, 11:49 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

I pity anyone who has to read this after all of the edits smile.gif

Seriously, what a mess...

I think it's a better solution than doing nothing, certainly, but I'm up in the air as to whether or not I like it as a solution in general. I'll have to run some numbers.

Well, the idea behind the nRo6 is to allow a neat thing for "mechanical flavor" without breaking the game. An average 0.06666... extra successes doesn't seem like that big a deal; it more or less preserves the statistics that we'd expect for the most common rolls and preserves that "lucky shot" feeling everyone loves from the Rule of Six in SR3.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 7 2005, 11:53 PM
Post #25

Manus Celer Dei

It's true, but providing that extra successes still mean a better overall quality of success, it provides a chance for a better lucky shot, as far as I can tell. I'm going to have to spend some time with Mathematica before I rightly figure out whether or not I care, though.

~J

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:44 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.