IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Orichalcum Mines, After the Comet
Should natural orichalcum remain to be mined after the Comet has passed?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 71
Guests cannot vote 
Ancient History
post Apr 7 2005, 11:13 PM
Post #1

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,935

Fairly self-explanatory, methinks. When the comet dissapears for the last time, should all the orichalcum still in the ground vanish, or remain?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 7 2005, 11:35 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

I think it should vanish if and only if a good explanation can be given why the stuff that was mined doesn't vanish along with it.

Edit: I don't, mind you, need for the explanation to actually appear in a book, but I want the FanPro Freelancers who deal with magic to know exactly what the reason was, and for it to be soundly reasonable and logical.

~J

+Quote Post
Zephania
post Apr 7 2005, 11:53 PM
Post #3

I am not here...

Member No.: 6,349

I think it all depends on how it got there in the first place. If it is naturally occuring and just needed the right mana levels to start appearing then yes it should remain. BUT if you think it was put there in a previous age of magic just in case and only immortal elves and dragons know where it is then as far as I'm concerned the jury is still out.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Apr 8 2005, 12:00 AM
Post #4

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

I certainly think Glendower's mines in Snowdonia would still produce natural orichalcum (since hers seems to be "different", and the rumors of her orichalchum mining were around before the Comet). As for other sources, I think they all will dry up until the next magical "big event" occurs. Any other sources similar to Glendower's that people are aware of?

+Quote Post
Zephania
post Apr 8 2005, 12:10 AM
Post #5

I am not here...

Member No.: 6,349

Nothing springs to mind straight away but I noticed that the dragons are quite picky about where they roost so they might know somthing.

Hey what about King Solomons mines?

+Quote Post
Chibu
post Apr 8 2005, 12:51 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,102

IMO, it should go away. And, a possible explination as for why the mined stuff doesn't disappear: It's already been enchanted, therefore keeping it's magical properties, while that in the ground doean't have enough Mana (since the comet seems to have been more of a spike than a rise) to still be around. I do think, however, that it may be able to come back eventually. Or, that it can't come back and was a freak occurance, because, IIRC, i think there was mentioned somewhere that there was at least 1 mine around that was being mined. (possibly in Northern Cali, I can't remeber.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 8 2005, 01:26 AM
Post #7

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (hahnsoo)
I certainly think Glendower's mines in Snowdonia would still produce natural orichalcum (since her's seems to be "different", and the rumors of her orichalchum mining were around before the Comet). As for other sources, I think they all will dry up until the next magical "big event" occurs.

This is my opinion as well.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 8 2005, 01:34 AM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

There's another good idea: hers should be the only ones that vanish.

~J

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Apr 8 2005, 01:56 AM
Post #9

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

Any particular reason or do you just have something against free spirit nobles that own a third of a country, backed by their own combat team with SotA combat armour that surpases anything even the megas have and undergound money factory? :)

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Apr 8 2005, 02:33 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

I think most of it should dissapear. The only stuff that remains should be a spike locations. I would suggest the bottoms of ancient dried up lakes and craters if I thought that any more ED stuff was going to be used in the 4th ed.

+Quote Post
Astelaron
post Apr 8 2005, 03:14 AM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 7,183

I think of all planetary bodies as being magical entities in that they have auras. In some places the mana flows strong (ley lines) and in some places the mana is gone (cyberware/Fovae). The nearness of another magical body coupled with the strong emotional response of the comet caused a global spike in mana. I look at this as being somewhat like the tidal pull of the moon only on magical energy. The spike in the mana caused more magical "awakenings" similiar to previous events like goblinization. The comet foreshadowed some of the things to come as the mana levels rise higher.

The earth is a magical entity and surged with the increase in mana revealing where natural orichalcum will be found in the future. So buy up mineral rights now! :rotate:

According to the Year of the Comet SURGE dropped to a "trickle" and all "known" natural orichalcum deposits dried up. This doesn't mean that the powers that be havn't found one that has not dried up or found some way to keep the orichalcum present. I recal that there was rumored oricalcum mining in the Tir long before the comet. It seems resonable that there could still be places of high mana level that would still manifest some natural oricalcum.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Apr 8 2005, 03:17 AM
Post #12

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

I'm glad it's gone , because I think it would just be another long, drawn out resource war, and Orichalcum in general would become a lot more plentiful, cost would go down (some ) and foci would be more common.

On the flip side, did the people that became drakes go back to normal? no
Did the SURGE changelings change back? no....
So why would orichalcum, which I guess you could look at as being an awakened mineral go away? Kind of conflicts with all the other results of the comet's passing.

I'm not saying that it should stick around, just because I think it would skew the focus of the world too much. Orichalcum wars anyone? I just don't think that it makes sense when compared to everything else that stuck around.

+Quote Post
Rock-Steady
post Apr 8 2005, 10:43 AM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 1,934

They should stay. Got Orichalkummines even before the comet. They stole that idea from me. *g*

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Apr 8 2005, 04:34 PM
Post #14

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

Sure. Maybe it'll make the prices in MitS semi-reasonable.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Apr 8 2005, 04:43 PM
Post #15

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

It should remain, if for no other reason that it's ludicrous to say mined orichalcum remains, but orichalcum that human eyes haven't been laid upon vanishes for some mysterious reason. Humans aren't the center of the universe, and especially in SR, mana and magic have more than once made clear to humans that they could care less about whether what they do pleases them or not.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 8 2005, 04:55 PM
Post #16

Manus Celer Dei

Actually, what would be really neat is if it all vanished, including the stuff that had been mined (and presumably used).

~J

+Quote Post
hermit
post Apr 8 2005, 05:03 PM
Post #17

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

Haha, okay, that'd be fun.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Apr 8 2005, 09:11 PM
Post #18

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Apr 7 2005, 08:56 PM)
Any particular reason or do you just have something against free spirit nobles that own a third of a country, backed by their own combat team with SotA combat armour that surpases anything even the megas have and undergound money factory? :)

Hey, don't forget that she has her own legion of knockers* to mine it FOR her. :)

* (the faeries, not breasts, although that sounds fairly entertaining)

+Quote Post
DragginSPADE
post Apr 9 2005, 06:18 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,119

QUOTE (FlakJacket)

Wait a second. I can't tell from your post, are you joking about the free spirit bit? Granted it's been a while since I've been able to seriously go through my sourcebooks, but the last I'd heard the Duchess of Snowdonia was just an elven noble (with her own orichalcum mines, private power-armored elite troops, and all the rest but still...). Is there actually something in canon that says or hints that she's a free spirit? I'd heard the possibility of her being an IE before, but not the free spirit angle.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Apr 9 2005, 06:21 PM
Post #20

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Old school shadowtalk, son. A line from the London Sourcebook.

+Quote Post
DragginSPADE
post Apr 9 2005, 06:22 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Oh and as far as the original topic of this post...

I think that if the natural orichalcum doesn't stay after the comet passes this time, it should definitely stick around after the next big magical event. I'll also add my name to those who'd like an explanation for why the stuff that's been mined stays while the stuff still in the ground vanishes.

+Quote Post
DragginSPADE
post Apr 9 2005, 06:25 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ancient History)
Old school shadowtalk, son. A line from the London Sourcebook.

I think I remember that bit now. Some shadowtalker going on about seeing her on a balcony during a moonlit night? I didn't read the free spirit part from that, but it's been a while. I'll re-read London when I get my books all in one place again.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Apr 9 2005, 08:25 PM
Post #23

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

I agree with Astelaron. There have been hints since the beginning that Orichalcum existed naturally, thought the hows and whys were even less.

To put it in pseudo Thaumaturlogical terms: Faint astral ripples were sent by the comet as it passed, these ripples became waves as they crashed into the Earth's manasphere. Where these waves intersected Earth's own astral waves, Orichalcum deposits or other oddities occurred. However, other events may cause similar deposits to form in a normal "astralogical" process (as it does for all telesma material), just a geological processes cause diamonds to form (as it does normal rock).

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Apr 9 2005, 09:43 PM
Post #24

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

Well what happenned after the Comet could have been a sort of "reverse SURGE" process or something, affecting only the specific areas that sprouted up the natural orichalcum deposits. So any stuff still in those areas (eg. still in the ground) gets reabsorbed, but the stuff that was mined, not being inthe same place anymore, wasn't affected.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Apr 9 2005, 10:18 PM
Post #25

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

I think you're putting too much stock in terms like "dried up". At the speed for 2060 mining, it could simply mean them mined all that was there and no new appeared as it had during the Comet's passing. I can look in the books again, but I don't recall anything that said "there was stuff that we hadn't mined and when we came back it had changed back to rock" or similar.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:33 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.