Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another custom weapon, Thoughts? This may actually be in a game
HMHVV Hunter
post Apr 8 2005, 05:00 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,840

Alright, I need your guys' thoughts on another custom weapon I'm currently creating for a John Constantine-esque character. This guy might get chosen for a PbP here, and this is his weapon, so I could really use some opinions.

Here it goes:

Name: "Holy Shotgun" (tentative name; I need something original, so any thoughts on a name would be much appreciated too)

Frame: Shotgun
-Damage: 8S
-Mode: SA
-Conceal: 3
-Wt.: 4.5 kg.
-Ammo Cap: 5
-Load: ( m )
-Mounts: Barrel, Top, Underbarrel
-FCU: 2.5
-DPV: 130

Design Options

Ammo Loading (clip)
DP: +10
FCU: None
Wt: None
Conceal: -1

Barrel Extension
DP: +15
FCU: -.5
Wt: +.25 kg.
Conceal: -2

Heavy Barrel
DP: +25
FCU: -.25
Wt: +.5 kg.
Conceal: None

Increased Power (+2)
DP: +160
Wt: +.5 kg.

Melee Hardening
DP: +15

Selectable Clip
DP: +35
Wt: +.1 kg.
Conceal: -1

Weight Decrease (Level 6)
DP: +30
FCU: None
Wt: -1.5 kg.

Modifications

Custom Finish (silver)
DP: +20

Embossing/Engraving
Phrase: "In nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti"

Extended clip (+5 rounds each)

Laser Sight
Mount: Under
FCU: -.25
DP: +100

Appearance

Shotgun is in the shape of a cross. The vertical "beam" is the main part of the shotgun, with the top of the cross being where the pistol grip and trigger is, and the foot of the cross being where the exit of the barrel is. It appears to be an over-and-under double barreled shotgun, but the bottom barrel is actually the laser sight. The horizontal beam of the cross shape is made up of the two clips, one sticking out of each side.

Final Stats

Conceal: 0
Ammo: 10 ( c )/10 ( c )
Mode: SA
Damage: 10S
Wt: 4.85 kg.
Cost: 2,900 :nuyen:
RC: 1

Ranges: S: 0 - 11, M: 12 - 22, L: 23 - 55, E: 56 - 110
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Capt. Dave
post Apr 8 2005, 05:28 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,183

Munchkin! You munchkin bastard! Oh, such a munchkin you are! How dare you!
Why not make it FA with weapon foci rounds?! Munchkin.

:D

But seriously...

Seems interesting, and a pretty "even" weapon, as far as CC Firearms Design goes. Not a bad placement of the dual magazine option. I like how it fits in with the design of the gun.

Names:
Retributor, Intercessor, Divine Vengeance
Maybe try an online thesaurus for words like: angel, holy, sin, divine, etc., and
find one you like.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 8 2005, 05:33 AM
Post #3

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

You made a shotgun without making it Conceal 7? How dare you!

~J

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 8 2005, 05:51 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

I'm not a fan of comic book style stuff, but this is fairly reasonable, though a full underbarrel laser sight seems rather unreasonably gigantic.

In fact, given the comic book style, it might make more sense to put a single shot grenade launcher in its place.

I'm with Kage, though. Shotguns aren't shotguns and assault rifles really aren't assault rifles until they're smaller than pistols.

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post Apr 8 2005, 06:00 AM
Post #5

Running Target

QUOTE (Arethusa)
I'm not a fan of comic book style stuff, but this is fairly reasonable, though a full underbarrel laser sight seems rather unreasonably gigantic.

In fact, given the comic book style, it might make more sense to put a single shot grenade launcher in its place.

I'm with Kage, though. Shotguns aren't shotguns and assault rifles really aren't assault rifles until they're smaller than pistols.

Well, it doesn't take up the full underbarrel, just the last part of it.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 8 2005, 06:15 AM
Post #6

Runner

Then what's in the rest of it?

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post Apr 8 2005, 06:18 AM
Post #7

Running Target

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Then what's in the rest of it?

The standard stuff found on most shotguns (i.e. the grip/pump-action)

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 8 2005, 06:31 AM
Post #8

Runner

But it's not pump action. You have it down as semiautomatic. Yes, there's a gas tube in that case, but not the full length of the barrel, and certainly not if you extended that anyway. Where's the superhero in you if you don't want to slap a grenade launcher under that thing?

+Quote Post
toturi
post Apr 8 2005, 06:41 AM
Post #9

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

You could call it the Hand of God.

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post Apr 8 2005, 06:45 AM
Post #10

Running Target

QUOTE (Arethusa)
But it's not pump action. You have it down as semiautomatic. Yes, there's a gas tube in that case, but not the full length of the barrel, and certainly not if you extended that anyway. Where's the superhero in you if you don't want to slap a grenade launcher under that thing?

Whatever. It's for cosmetic purposes more than anything, really; I just couldn't think of a way to incorporate a laser sight seamlessly into a shotgun's frame. I guess the "second barrel" is the gas tube then (I'm no real-life firearms expert), but the laser sight makes up the rest of the "second barrel."

+Quote Post
Slamm-O
post Apr 8 2005, 08:35 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,535

my friend called the gun in the movie the god gun

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 8 2005, 08:44 AM
Post #12

Runner

QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter)
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Apr 8 2005, 02:31 AM)
But it's not pump action.  You have it down as semiautomatic.  Yes, there's a gas tube in that case, but not the full length of the barrel, and certainly not if you extended that anyway.  Where's the superhero in you if you don't want to slap a grenade launcher under that thing?

Whatever. It's for cosmetic purposes more than anything, really; I just couldn't think of a way to incorporate a laser sight seamlessly into a shotgun's frame. I guess the "second barrel" is the gas tube then (I'm no real-life firearms expert), but the laser sight makes up the rest of the "second barrel."

In most shotguns, what you're thinking of is the tubular magazine. Since you slapped two box mags on the sides, there's no use for this anymore.

Seriosuly, though, you don't need to know guns to know shotguns belong strapped to grande launchers. It's just right.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Apr 8 2005, 08:46 AM
Post #13

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

Or, if not an underbarrel grenade launcher (which could be an excuse for all the pumps, etc, you seem to want), then at least an underbarrel stake-launcher (for your character).

I mean, laser sight? Any fool can have a laser sight. On your angry cross-shotgun you want something that'll maul evil, not just make a little red dot float around. Think big, if you're gonna think big.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 8 2005, 12:37 PM
Post #14

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

It could very well have pump-action. See the SPAS-12, which is semiauto but has pump for when the thing's loaded with low-pressure rounds.

~J

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Apr 8 2005, 02:24 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

Make the lasersight U.V. frequency capable to explain why it is so big and in the latin the Patri, Fili, and Spiritus Sancti are capatalized, proper nouns you know. ;)

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Apr 8 2005, 02:31 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,630

HMHVV Hunter:

I once saw a weapon in which I think you might be interested on the 'net.

IIRC, it was a SA/BF heavy pistol with an underbarrel minigrenade launcher.

Here it is: Shadownode

Left-click on "Equipment", then left-click on the subheading "Weapons."

The weapon you want is the "Dreadgun Heavy Automatic Dual Pistol".

It's the first one on that page.

Edit: Sorry. Messed up the link on the first try. It seems to work now, though.

--Foreigner

This post has been edited by Foreigner: Apr 8 2005, 02:47 PM

+Quote Post
SpasticTeapot
post Apr 9 2005, 02:06 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,893

I say put in a pump-action CO2 powered stake-launcher. It would use those dinky little Co2 canisters found in some tools (the six gram ones) to fire, so every three shots or so you would use the pump-action to expel the spent cartridge and put in a new one. It would also be a very quiet weapon, which is a good thing if your only other option is spraying metal pellets at a few hundred miles per hour.

+Quote Post
Deamon_Knight
post Apr 9 2005, 04:09 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,784

Some been watching Trigun?

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Apr 9 2005, 04:47 AM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

I missed the Trigun part.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 9 2005, 04:52 AM
Post #20

Runner

QUOTE (SpasticTeapot)
I say put in a pump-action CO2 powered stake-launcher. It would use those dinky little Co2 canisters found in some tools (the six gram ones) to fire, so every three shots or so you would use the pump-action to expel the spent cartridge and put in a new one. It would also be a very quiet weapon, which is a good thing if your only other option is spraying metal pellets at a few hundred miles per hour.

Why does everyone seem to think that C02 powered weapons are quiet? They're not. It's the same principle: rapidly expanding gas progressively accelerates the obstruction down the path of least resistance. The only difference with C02 is that it's operating at much lower pressure. It may be less noisy, but it is still going to be very loud if it is going to be at all worthwhile.

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Apr 9 2005, 04:59 AM
Post #21

Mostly Harmless

Member No.: 176

I used to have a Daisy Powerline 400 that would prove that fact to anyone. Where did that thing go... Man, it was so fun I nearly shot my eye out.

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post Apr 9 2005, 05:26 AM
Post #22

Running Target

As far as the name goes, I got the idea of naming it after the Angel of Death, but I can't find any information on what the Angel of Death was called in Christianity. Anyone familiar with religion that can help with that?

+Quote Post
Sharaloth
post Apr 9 2005, 05:36 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,093

There's always 'Abaddon' aka The Destroyer. (aka Apollyon). Azrael is an Angel of Death in some traditions (I can't remember which, but probably Islam and the Hebrew traditions). There's the Prophecy's route of Gabriel being the Angel of death (I'm not sure if this is even close to accurate).

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post Apr 9 2005, 05:40 AM
Post #24

Running Target

QUOTE (Sharaloth)
There's always 'Abaddon' aka The Destroyer. (aka Apollyon). Azrael is an Angel of Death in some traditions (I can't remember which, but probably Islam and the Hebrew traditions). There's the Prophecy's route of Gabriel being the Angel of death (I'm not sure if this is even close to accurate).

Yeah, I'd heard about Azrael, but the key word here is Christian. The guy using this thing is a mage with a Christian bent, so IMO it just wouldn't make sense to go with Azrael since it isn't a Christian name for the AoD (I don't think).

+Quote Post
Sharaloth
post Apr 9 2005, 05:48 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,093

Azrael's definitely Islamic, but Christianity doesn't seem to have a name for the Angel of Death, at least, not one specific one. Mostly it's taken from the Hebrew traditions where you have Sammael, Bebriel, Metatron, etc. The closest I think you're going to get is Abaddon, who's in the book of Revelations. Though, admittedly, I'm no expert.

Edit: As another thought, why not go the Milton route and name it Abdiel? The angel who stood up to Satan and rebuked him.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:03 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.