IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What is a better use of Karma..., Magic or Skills?
Which do you think is more worthwhile for 33 Karma
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 47
Guests cannot vote 
mmu1
post Apr 9 2005, 02:08 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,058

Ok, so in the "No Adept Love" thread a view was put forth that if a street sam gets a skill up to 6 by spending 30 karma (SMGs, specifically), that is just as useful as if a mage character spent roughly the same number of karma on initiating twice, or picking up several new spells. Opinions?

(and yes, I am biased, I'm the one arguing that the idea of a single skill being more useful is nonsense)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ellery
post Apr 9 2005, 02:11 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,298

It kind of depends on your background. If you have a magical background, you can probably do more with two initiate grades than any one skill. If you have a combat background and you're fast and tough, adding another good combat skill can really help you out.

+Quote Post
Dawnshadow
post Apr 9 2005, 03:00 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,086

...Bad selection. There's also "boosting a skill by a couple levels" and "Boosting stats".. I'd take another 2 levels of my pistols specialization (which is already at 10, on a massively customized pistol that does 11S...)

Or there's taking 2 spells at skill 4 -- which is still fairly useful.

Shoot, for 30 Karma my magician's way adept can get his pentak-silat up to 4 and buy the extra manouvers to apply whirling and multistrike to his sword specialization. With a little left over.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Apr 9 2005, 03:05 AM
Post #4

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Assuming that you are going from non-initiate to initiate, I would say initiate. Once initiated for about 2 grades, you might want to think about boosting some skills.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 9 2005, 03:08 AM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i'm not sure this belongs in the SR4 section.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Apr 9 2005, 05:52 AM
Post #6

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

I'm pretty sure it doesn't. I'm fairly certain the thread that spawned it has gone off-track enough it doesn't, either (what started as a "boohoo, not enough Adepts are mentioned in SR4 yet" thread turned into a "there's too much magic in SR3" thread inside, like, eight posts).

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 9 2005, 06:33 AM
Post #7

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

It really does depend on the character in question. Two new Active Skills to 4 and a Knowledge or Language Skill to 3 isn't a bad option either.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Apr 9 2005, 07:51 AM
Post #8

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

You can`'t say that in such a strict manner. It depends on your char and sometimes even a mage learns a new skill ;)

+Quote Post
NightHaunter
post Apr 9 2005, 10:21 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,408

Spells, spells, spells my life would be so dull without them.

Nighthaunter - Shadowrunner. 8)

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 9 2005, 11:30 AM
Post #10

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Personally, with a spellcasting character, and assuming a Willpower and Sorcery of 6, I would consider using 15 Karma to pump the charater's spellcasting specialization to 8, or even 24 to push it up to 9 before looking into other options.

+Quote Post
NeoJudas
post Apr 9 2005, 11:51 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 106

I think I am seeing something else here with this poll/question.

One of my players recently retired a character of his and opted to use the optional rule for half-karma to create the new character (we lost a decker, picked up a new adept... more on my rant on that perhaps later).

Anyway, when he was creating his character he basically got to "design from scratch" a character with an exceptionally high amount of karma from the ground up. During that time, he got to look at things from the POV of someone with a specific direction in mind and not from the POV of a character who will develop his/her identity over time. Basically they got to ask "what can I get for *x* karma". They wound up with a character that while karmically far less experienced than our eldest adept character already (and still) in the games, but capable of dealing out far more damage than the elder character. The trick was however, the elder character had a wider array of skills and experiences to draw upon.

So then we ask the question of this poll? Personally I'm going to suggest that whomever put this poll up here really was trying to get a specific answer or believed they were going to try to get one anyway. The question is loaded and filled with too many unanswerable variables.

In Shadowrun, I've at least found that versatility is the survival choice. And that means 33 points of karma becomes one grade of initiation, one/two spells and maybe another skill point or two someplace else. All depending upon the options available of course.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Apr 9 2005, 02:38 PM
Post #12

Running Target

QUOTE (NeoJudas)
So then we ask the question of this poll? Personally I'm going to suggest that whomever put this poll up here really was trying to get a specific answer or believed they were going to try to get one anyway. The question is loaded and filled with too many unanswerable variables.

Aw, geez...

Yes, it doesn't really belong in SR4, but the thread it was related to was in here, so here it ended up - to be honest, I haven't really gotten used to having a separate SR4 forum yet.

And you think I might have been biased in asking this question? What about my original post could have possibly given that impression? ;)

Yes, the choices are limited, because I did put it up as a way of proving a point in a specific argument - I didn't ask what was the best way of spending that much karma, just which of two or three ways was better. And I said as much in the first post. The poll doesn't pretend to be anything it's not.

+Quote Post
Dawnshadow
post Apr 9 2005, 02:46 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,086

Yeah.. but you didn't specify mage, which invalidates your entire basis for initiating twice, because no one's argued that adept initiations aren't far more valuable.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Apr 9 2005, 04:08 PM
Post #14

Running Target

QUOTE (Dawnshadow)
Yeah.. but you didn't specify mage, which invalidates your entire basis for initiating twice, because no one's argued that adept initiations aren't far more valuable.

"...as if a mage character spent roughly the same number of karma on initiating twice, or picking up several new spells."

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:54 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.