Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Datajacks and taps, One way to milk mysterious cyberware
hyzmarca
post Apr 10 2005, 04:37 PM
Post #1

Midnight Toker

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,456

I was just reading GitS: Man-Machine Interface and I noticed something that was absolutly inspiring. In Man-Machine Interface Motoko gets a job with an E-brain manufacturer and used the position to place backdoors in all of the E-brains that the company produced. This allowed her to extract information or conduct survailance on a masive scale.

Now, I'm wondering if there is any reason why a datajack manufacturer couldn't secretly put a dataline tap in a new model. For that matter, what kind of access would such a compromised datajack give the manufacturer. Obviously access to all information going into or out of the jack. But what about headware memory or eye-cams? For that matter, could a manufacturer design several innocous pieces of cyberware to work together as a full survailance suite?

Another question that has been bugging me is how exactly do medical professionals measure essence. It is a tricky busines when installing cyberware. They have to know exactly how much essance a part takes up because if they are off significantly then the patient will die. But, essence is purely a meatphysical game mechanic. There doesn't seem to be any way to percisly measure essence loss, with a magic.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
psykotisk_overle...
post Apr 10 2005, 05:42 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,817

Another question that has been bugging me is how exactly do medical professionals measure essence. It is a tricky busines when installing cyberware. They have to know exactly how much essance a part takes up because if they are off significantly then the patient will die. But, essence is purely a meatphysical game mechanic. There doesn't seem to be any way to percisly measure essence loss, with a magic.

Since all atempts at defining essence is either useless, inconsistent crap, or simply too vague to be of any help, I'd say it's pretty impossible to tell how doctors could measure someones essence. My guess: they can't.

Just my 0,02 :nuyen:

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Apr 10 2005, 09:50 PM
Post #3

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,014

QUOTE (psykotisk_overlegen)
Since all atempts at defining essence is either useless, inconsistent crap, or simply too vague to be of any help, I'd say it's pretty impossible to tell how doctors could measure someones essence. My guess: they can't.

Just my 0,02 :nuyen:

That's what magical consultants are paid to do.

+Quote Post
Mark McCrea
post Apr 11 2005, 05:39 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 6,864

The data jack can act as a router for a for a DNI interface. Any equipment routedthrough the data jack for the DNI would be able to be caught on a good tap. Most, but not all equipment that is intalled gets its own DNI by default by my understanding, but to save some essence on memory and similar in cyberlimbs or compartments people will end up using the data jack to link alot of their hardware to their head.

As to doctors measuring essence, a magical consultant gets the best personal estimate, and essence level estimates per item can come from a series of consultation with mages during developement.

Product testing in the old cyberware book the shadowtalk had a doctor talking about how they tested high levels of augmentation (Bio and Cyber) and kept adding until people started falling apart. That and similar less fatal experiments probably allow each item to get a rough estimate of how much essence/bio index an item takes up.

- - - - - - - - - -
Just a Random Thought for the Day. :cyber:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:44 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.