Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Clever street name
Charon
post Apr 14 2005, 04:18 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,087

Being named "Slamm-O" or "Wedge " might have some style, but it's not something you can call out in a respectable public area without raising an eyebrow. It's worse for people with handle like "Blood snake" or "Man-o-war."

Obviously these guys would simply use a normal first name (real or not) for these situations. John, Mark...

But it's kind of cool to be able to use a name that is both a meaningful codename and is usable in public at the same time.

Charon, my current alias, was designed with this objective in mind. Charon is a fairly common last name (at least in french speaking area). It is also the ferryman on the river styx that carries the dead into Hades in exchange for payment. I thought it was a fairly clever code name for an Assassin NPC.

Anyone can think up similar codenames? I'm looking for some inspiration for NPCs in my upcoming campaign.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 14 2005, 04:28 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Sue.

"What's that guy's name, again? Sue?"
"Sue. Yeah, his dad was a big Johnny Cash fan, from what I understand."
"Oh, right, right, right, with the song."
"Yeah, boy named Sue, right. So I figured that's why he's such a mean cat."
"That guy?"
"Oh, he's a bad guy. He don't look it. He's, no, he's mean, man. I see him in a fight once, he just got a guy, was just fucking smacking his fucking head into the curb, like his mouth, just fucking smash, his teeth came out, just fucking like whack whack whack, just fucking blood came out of his fucking mouth. It was nasty, man. Nice guy, though. That guy's cool."

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Apr 14 2005, 05:10 AM
Post #3

Resident Legionnaire

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,550

Archer?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 14 2005, 05:38 AM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Heh, I use Archer as a pseudonym IRL.

A lot of my characters go by their first names. They're just the kind of people that don't have last names, as far as anyone that knows them is concerned.

~J

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 14 2005, 05:54 AM
Post #5

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Bubba?!?

+Quote Post
Critias
post Apr 14 2005, 06:17 AM
Post #6

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

Most street names are either horribly contrived, or just nicknames (that have nothing to do with how badass a cold, hard, killer, your character is). Anyone that's considering a horribly contrived one, just use your first name, instead. Please.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 14 2005, 06:29 AM
Post #7

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

90% of my characters either go by their first name or a nickname derived from their real name.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Apr 14 2005, 06:37 AM
Post #8

Resident Legionnaire

In our group, most characters go by their first names (as far as anyone knows). Anyone who tries to use a "cool" nickname usually just sounds like an idiot. They are then usually referred to as "Hey, you."

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Apr 14 2005, 08:19 AM
Post #9

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

Most of my chars are using a normal name like jason, gonzo :D or jack. Besides jason everyone also has a street name, using it when dealing with shadowy folk.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Apr 14 2005, 01:48 PM
Post #10

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

Generally, I figure out the image I want to project, pick letters that go well with that image, and keep forcing them together until I get something interesting. I personally like a lot of K sounds, especially for females, so I've gotten, Kit, Kay and, of course, Cat. R's and T's are good for male bruisers, especially with a u for the vowel.. Truck, Rut, Turd.

So yeah, pick letters and sounds that you think communicate the character, and hit them together until they fit. If you have to drop or add a few letters to make it work, that's fine.

Hmm... I'm thinking of awarding my PCs bonus karma if they come up with GOOD nick names for each other. That might help.

+Quote Post
DexRiley
post Apr 14 2005, 01:49 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 7,259

You could do worse than to take a quick look at the names of the forum members, some have some pretty good street names. Though I would ask before using.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Apr 14 2005, 03:49 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

One of my players named his decker "The Real Napster." After he botched a simple logon test, he became "Numb-Nuts."

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Apr 14 2005, 05:30 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

All the best nicknames I've heard haven't been self-applied. If you try to give yourself a bad-ass name, you just sound like a 'tard. This isn't to say that nicknames other people stick on you area all cool, but at least they're genuine.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Apr 14 2005, 05:30 PM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Sue.

"What's that guy's name, again? Sue?"
"Sue. Yeah, his dad was a big Johnny Cash fan, from what I understand."
"Oh, right, right, right, with the song."
"Yeah, boy named Sue, right. So I figured that's why he's such a mean cat."
"That guy?"
"Oh, he's a bad guy. He don't look it. He's, no, he's mean, man. I see him in a fight once, he just got a guy, was just fucking smacking his fucking head into the curb, like his mouth, just fucking smash, his teeth came out, just fucking like whack whack whack, just fucking blood came out of his fucking mouth. It was nasty, man. Nice guy, though. That guy's cool."

Heh. I actually made that character once.

+Quote Post
Mugzy
post Apr 14 2005, 05:38 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

From: 50 Clicks north of Dragon City (Front Range Free Zone)
Member No.: 6,896

Lets See.

In my group, currently we have:

Jim Barrick (Rigger)
Nick Brandt (Street Face)
Bill Swanson (Corp Face)
Babalooie (Haitian Houngan.. we think his name is a conglomeration of his first and last name, like Bubba Lewis or something. Who knows, we picked him up in an extraction from San Quentin)
Jason Anders (Street Sam)

Everyone goes by either theri first or last name. Most of them are SINless anyway, so names dont really matter if they are shouted.

We have in the past had those with "Street Names" but they usually get laughed at. I mean after all, its hard to take a guy named "DEATHWING" or some such noise seriously.

+Quote Post
Charon
post Apr 14 2005, 06:19 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 7,087

Archer isn't bad but every player will think about Spycraft whenever they hear it.

Sue might be good but I really don't get the reference, sorry!

---

To every one just using/suggesting a common name ; that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for names that can pass for a real name and yet be as meaningful of what the character is than a more colorful street name. Like Charon = Assassin.

Using last names from historical characters that aren't too well known can be an alternative even if it's hardly original.

For example, Vincent Lagardère might be a good name for a french physads who uses swords a lot. Lagardère is a swashbuckler hero from some old tale known for being particularly loyal and vindicative while Vincent comes from the latin words for Winner or Victor. So the name says something about the PC and how he perceives himself without being gaudy and obvious.

+Quote Post
lord_cack
post Apr 14 2005, 06:41 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 6,853

Onstaad (on-stahd), It doesn't mean anything just thought it sounded bad ass.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 14 2005, 06:57 PM
Post #18

Runner

QUOTE (Charon)

Rent/download/acquire/watch Swingers.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Apr 14 2005, 06:58 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

It's a classic song by Johnny Cash. Most common version I hear is from the prison gig he did.

+Quote Post
ES_Riddle
post Apr 14 2005, 07:25 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,736

QUOTE (Charon)
To every one just using/suggesting a common name ; that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for names that can pass for a real name and yet be as meaningful of what the character is than a more colorful street name. Like Charon = Assassin.

Riddle is my personal favorite in that category. It is not a common name by any means, but it could easily be someone's last name. And of course, as a pistol adept...

Rid•dle (vt) to damage something by making a large number of small holes in it

Encarta® World English Dictionary © 1999 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.

+Quote Post
Lantzer
post Apr 14 2005, 08:03 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,335

Well, _my_ favorite street name was "Shadowblade Nightstalker..." Just kidding.

Actually, I liked having a character who was called "Goose" for a simple reason. His name was Julio Guzman.

But yeah, in general, most attempts to make a 'cool'-sounding street name just backfire and make the player/character look like a twit.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Apr 14 2005, 08:27 PM
Post #22

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

In response to Charon's post, when I want a name that has a meaning, I go to babycenter.com, look up their baby names and use my handy search feature to find different meanings I like. You're unlikely to find 'assassin', but 'dark flower' or 'wraith of God' and the like do occur.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 14 2005, 08:27 PM
Post #23

Runner

QUOTE (Lantzer)
But yeah, in general, most attempts to make a 'cool'-sounding street name just backfire and make the player/character look like a twit.

Yes they do.

I played with a guy once who took himself very seriously and took his roleplaying very seriously as well.

The team was split in two in terms of background, and I and another player were the only people who knew eachother (old timers on a team that now needed replacements). With dead seriousness, he introduced himself as Nightblade.

Hilarity ensued. He didn't really take it well.

+Quote Post
Sharaloth
post Apr 14 2005, 08:34 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,093

My groups have always used contrived streetnames as if they were, well, normal. I lack what could be defined as 'creativity' when naming my characters, so I generally have the most cliche streetname I can think of for my characters, and a slightly less bland real name. The rest of them ran the gamut from the japanese-sounding/ripoff (Dagashi) to the just plain weird (Arm). It never bothered us, though, we just kinda took the implausible and rediculous streetnames in stride.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Apr 14 2005, 08:50 PM
Post #25

Resident Legionnaire

Thor wouldn't sound too horrible. I know a dude named Thor IRL.

Dumb-sounding, cliche, nicknames are easier to believe if you picture SR in the 80's-esque fashion that it was when I was introduced to it.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 06:32 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.