Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So who's going to buy white dice and paint 2 sides
blakkie
post Apr 14 2005, 05:43 PM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,263

With it sounding like fixed TN5 everywhere, including Initiative rolls, will the difference between 1,2,3,4 be there? The Rule of All Ones? Will the dice be exploding? If not 5 and 6 become the same. So all you need are some white cubes with red paint on 2 sides.

Any other games with custom dice using this right now?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 14 2005, 05:51 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

There was HeroQuest, which had dice with (IIRC) three Skulls (hits), two white shields (hero defense), and one black shield (enemy defense) per die.

~J

+Quote Post
Garland
post Apr 14 2005, 05:55 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,043

The faces of those dice wore off too quickly.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Apr 14 2005, 05:58 PM
Post #4

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

HeroQuest... ah, those glory days of childhod. :D

I have a bunch of the original sr-dices and will surely not paint them in any colour! ;)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 14 2005, 05:59 PM
Post #5

Manus Celer Dei

I've got a set that's about a decade old that the faces are mostly still just fine on (just one face with a white shield about half-gone)…

~J

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Apr 14 2005, 06:39 PM
Post #6

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Member No.: 2,006

You can't really paint dices. It screw them up by adding weight to two sides. Your better off trying to find some that fit your needs.

Man, gone are the days where the player rolls three sixes in a row and everyone is holding their breath to see if he can hit the obscenely high TN.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Apr 14 2005, 06:42 PM
Post #7

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

They aren't gone just yet, Shadow. We can continue enjoying the wait with baited breath when a player needs to Default to something to save the team from dying a fiery death.

And then we can all kiss our hoops goodbye because he just doesn't have enough dice to properly get enough successes. Sigh.

+Quote Post
Garland
post Apr 14 2005, 06:48 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I've got a set that's about a decade old that the faces are mostly still just fine on (just one face with a white shield about half-gone)…

~J

I must be hard on dice, then. How much use are we talking about?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 14 2005, 06:52 PM
Post #9

Manus Celer Dei

Well, I played the game pretty frequently for three or four years, and have played it occasionally since then.

~J

+Quote Post
Garland
post Apr 14 2005, 06:55 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Okay, pretty similar, then. It's just me, I suppose.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 14 2005, 10:01 PM
Post #11

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Maybe FanPro could market their own. Assuming that the Rule-of-One and Exploding 6's still exist, they could make dice with 1 red side (1's), 1 yellow side (5's), and 1 green side (6's), and the other three sides black.

+Quote Post
Omega Skip
post Apr 14 2005, 10:11 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,074

It appears as though my evil business plan may finally pay off.

1. Make d3's
2. ...
3. Profit!

:D

+Quote Post
krishcane
post Apr 14 2005, 10:18 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,784

QUOTE (Garland)
Okay, pretty similar, then. It's just me, I suppose.

Maybe you have some kind of special acidic paint-eating personal chemistry.

Hey, you gotta take what superpowers you can get.

--K

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Apr 14 2005, 10:18 PM
Post #14

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Omega Skip)
It appears as though my evil business plan may finally pay off.

1. Make d3's
2. ...
3. Profit!

:D

#2 is what? Pay off the Old Ones for use of their geometry in designing the 3-sided die? :spin:

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post Apr 14 2005, 10:44 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,118

I'm certain 1 will still be an important number, in a bad way. What'd probably be the best solution would be dice with 1-faces that are red, 5-faces that are yellow, and 6-faces that are green (since a limited rule of six is still in place). You really wouldn't even need numbers on dice in the new system, for most applications, since TN# is unimportant.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 14 2005, 10:47 PM
Post #16

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Wireknight)
I'm certain 1 will still be an important number, in a bad way. What'd probably be the best solution would be dice with 1-faces that are red, 5-faces that are yellow, and 6-faces that are green (since a limited rule of six is still in place). You really wouldn't even need numbers on dice in the new system, for most applications, since TN# is unimportant.

Sounds familiar. :D

QUOTE (Fortune)
Maybe FanPro could market their own. Assuming that the Rule-of-One and Exploding 6's still exist, they could make dice with 1 red side (1's), 1 yellow side (5's), and 1 green side (6's), and the other three sides black.

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post Apr 14 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Pfft, you expect me to read your posts? This is Dumpshock, man! If I read them, I'd be expected to comprehend them, and both of those factors are obstacles to any comments I'd make!

Seriously, though, sorry. Mea culpa.

+Quote Post
Omega Skip
post Apr 14 2005, 10:55 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Actually, making a d3 is easy and does not require any human or other sacrifices. All you need is a cylinder with a triangle instead of a circle as its cross section.
Of course, even though no worship of evil deities is required I still recommend it just for fun and associated fringe benefits. :D

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post Apr 14 2005, 10:57 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Eh, the d3 thing wouldn't work. There are 3 valuable faces to a die, sure, but there are 3 faces that are irrelevent beyond the fact that they fail. In order to make a d3 work with this system, you'd have to flip a coin before rolling each die, to determine if you even counted its results.

+Quote Post
Omega Skip
post Apr 14 2005, 11:05 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Oi, right, forgot about the rule of one. I kind of assumed that botched rolls are going to be "streamlined away".

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post Apr 14 2005, 11:21 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

I'm more talking about 2, 3, and 4. If you roll a d6, you have a 50% chance of getting one of the aforementioned, which is neither a critical failure nor a success. If you chop those off the die, you suddenly have a 33% chance of critical failure, i.e. no chance of ordinary run-of-the-mill failure.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 15 2005, 12:54 AM
Post #22

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Wireknight)
Seriously, though, sorry. Mea culpa.

Hey, it's cool. It lends further credibility to the idea, and just goes to prove once again the old adage that 'Great minds think alike'. :D

+Quote Post
sapphire_wyvern
post Apr 15 2005, 06:10 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,064

QUOTE (Omega Skip @ Apr 15 2005, 08:55 AM)
Actually, making a d3 is easy and does not require any human or other sacrifices. All you need is a cylinder with a triangle instead of a circle as its cross section.
Of course, even though no worship of evil deities is required I still recommend it just for fun and associated fringe benefits. :D

I have three d3s.

They are from I.C.E.'s board game "The Hobbit". They are six-sided, and each die has faces labelled with 1 to 3 in digits and 1 to 3 in pips, so the die result will always be in the range of 1 to 3.

The system used is to roll all three d3's, sum the pips and the digits, and the difference between the digits sum and the pips sum is the roll result. You may reroll any of the 3 dice. Then you may again choose again to reroll any of the dice. At the end of the two rerolls, the difference between pips-sum and digits-sum is the final result of the die roll.

It's a strange yet entertaining little mechanic, although it has absolutely nothing to do with SR. :)

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Apr 15 2005, 12:37 PM
Post #24

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (Shadow)
You can't really paint dices. It screw them up by adding weight to two sides. Your better off trying to find some that fit your needs.
First off, if you have a layer of paint thick enough to throw off the die's center of gravity, that's just too damn thick. A layer of paint on a die would, except for extreme cases, have less of an effect on the center of gravity, then the drilled-out pips on any standard "board game" dice would.

Secondly, if you're worried about paint adding weight to some sides, then you paint each side a appropriate color, instead of just painting your 5 and 6.

QUOTE (Omega Skip)
That'd be called a prism. Ideally, you'd want the ends of the prism rounded off, so that while rolling, it'd come to a stop on one of the three faces instead of the end. Oh, and the rolling/tumbling characteristics of such a die would be about as crappy, if not more so, than your standard regular-tetrahedron d4. Faces that meet at acute angles make it much harder for the die's momentum to cause the die to tip over to the next face. A hexagonal prism with pairs of sides numbered 1-3 would make for a better rolling d3.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Apr 15 2005, 01:36 PM
Post #25

Tilting at Windmills

Member No.: 388

QUOTE (Omega Skip)
Oi, right, forgot about the rule of one. I kind of assumed that botched rolls are going to be "streamlined away".

Oh, no. No, botches still exist. And I've made some doozies with the new system in testing. Oi vey....

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:09 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.