IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR4 Firearms: Caseless and Cased on one weapon?
So the question is should SR4 get rid of the one weapon can use both case and caseless?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 102
Guests cannot vote 
Vuron
post Apr 15 2005, 05:36 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,185

My personal choice is having weapons with individual ammo characteristics. While there might be fewer ammo types than current not every heavy pistol should use the same ammo type.

Caseless weapons should be rare and only work with caseless ammo and vice versa.

Some weapons should possibly have the ability to load multiple ammo types similar to the FN SCAR but they should be exceptions rather than the rule.

Ohh and gyrojet and laser weapons should be really expensive and rare.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Critias
post Apr 15 2005, 05:46 PM
Post #2

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

I think the cased/caseless concern is just about the last thing wrong with "Shadowrun and Firearms."

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Apr 15 2005, 05:48 PM
Post #3

Tilting at Windmills

Member No.: 388

Especially when it was mentioned, in either SR3 or Cannon Companion, that a weapon was one or the other. All the weapons in the book were able to use one or the other, i.e. they had two models (a cased model and a caseless model).

I wish I had my books with me, I'd give you a page reference.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 15 2005, 05:56 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

"Many weapons offer two versions, for standard loads or for caseless ammunition, though the latter is far more common in the 2060s. A weapon can fire either type of ammunition, but not both interchangeably." sr3.277
Which, of course, is bulldrek. To make a conventional firearm designed to fire cased rounds fire caseless rounds instead would require replacing or modifying most or all of the action of the gun. For some designs, it might require re-designing the whole receiver.

If you bought the idea that caseless has become as, or indeed more common than cased ammunition for small arms, then major firearm producers would no doubt offer very similar models, one for cased and another for caseless, of their more popular guns, but no way would that be the norm and the weapons would be too different to be called the same model.

But, like Critias, I do not consider this a priority for SR4. There's a bunch of things way more screwed than this in SR3 that I'm praying they'll fix first (so that I don't have to house rule them again).

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 15 2005, 06:01 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

what austere said--offering the same weapon in cased and caseless is unbelievably stupid. unlike him, though, i think it's a priority for the simple fact that a) it's high-profile, and b) it's really easy to fix. changing that would be a very visible nod towards realism in SR4, and it takes all of five minutes to fix--just run down the list of firearms and put an X beside the ones that use caseless.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Apr 15 2005, 06:05 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

I understand that there were two versions (cased and caseless) of each gun, but I still thought it was goofy. I like calibres. The calibre of the round and the type of projectile should determine the penetration and damage of a firearm, not the frame.
I like the idea of caseless prevelence in SR though. I think that it should be the "new automatic." Popular and good tech that is improving, but not as reliable as the old proven tech. Revolvers wouldn't be available in caseless.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 15 2005, 06:08 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Shotguns and choke would have been really easy to fix. The silly Damage Codes (such as those of machine guns) would have been really easy to fix. And I know I'm forgetting something (or several things) which I've ranted in length about on these forums. Which goes to prove that screwed up things that would've been very easy to fix do leak into finished products all the time.

Of course I rather have a reasonable set of rules and tables and all for ranged combat in SR4, but I don't think that'll ever happen in a pen & paper RPG, so I rather they concentrated on the most obvious things.

QUOTE (Pthgar)
Revolvers wouldn't be available in caseless.

Revolvers, shotguns or (most types of) machine guns.

I understand that for many people caseless = cool, it's just very, very unlikely that caseless ammunition for conventional small arms will ever seriously challenge, let alone become more common than, cased ammunition. On the other hand, magic isn't very likely to appear either. Maybe caseless ammunition is part of the fantasy of Shadowrun...

This post has been edited by Austere Emancipator: Apr 15 2005, 06:15 PM

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 15 2005, 06:37 PM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

To my mind, the entire debate between Caseless and Cased comes down to the following question: do we want Runners to have to specifically ensure that spent casings aren't left as evidence, or do we want that taken care of automatically?

It seems to me that the prevalence of caseless is a nod to the latter. I can't imagine why they left cased in (though I would have been fine with them going the other direction, it's the waffling that I don't get). I'm not sure that there's much more to the issue than that unless you really want to make a push towards realism.

~J

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 15 2005, 06:42 PM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

well, there are plenty of weapon designs that would still be around in SR3 and even SR4 that use cased ammo. caseless might be popular, but i honestly doubt that it would have the lion's share of the market. (of course, it's equally unlikely that wireless tech would take the sudden leap to the forefront between '65 and '70, so...)

+Quote Post
Critias
post Apr 15 2005, 06:54 PM
Post #10

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

Let me edit -- yes, the cased/caseless thing should be fixed. But no, I don't think it's the most important thing we've got to worry about, when it comes to firearms.

Some reasonable damage codes would be my first, second, and third choices for revision.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Apr 15 2005, 07:01 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

When my chars don't want to leave evidence laying around, they use revolvers or SuperSquirt II/Gamma-Scop.

If you check out the HK G11 here it seems to me that the mechanism was needlessly complicated. I don't know if this was a product of the caseless ammo or just some more conept design on the part of HK. If all caseless ae this complex, I want no part of them.

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Apr 15 2005, 07:19 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Caseless ammo at current is pretty much limited to failed products like the G11 rifle and IIRC some very heavy machineguns. Fundamentally when you start looking at caseless you beging needing to look at the reasons why caseless would even be used. Using the G11 as the main example the gun fired a much smaller bullet but made up for that weakness in having a high ammo capacity, high ROF and very low recoil. If you begin looking at heavier rounds like the 7.62 NATO round the advantages of caseless begin to fade.

In terms of the dealing with spent casings for shadowrunners if it's that big of a concern then presumably you could have a nomex bag over the case ejection assembly that would catch the spent cartridges. It would be somewhat bulky but if leaving no casings is that big of a concern then it's definitely an option.

Of course I've always wondered why people are that concerned about casings anyway, presumably when you load the clip you could use gloves to prevent fingerprint matches and in terms of matching a bullet to a gun the actual bullet and the grooves left by the rifling are the more important concern.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Apr 15 2005, 07:31 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

That depends on wether on not "ballistics fingerprinting" (hah!) is wide spread. Firing pins leave pretty distinctive tool marks as well.

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Apr 15 2005, 07:41 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (Pthgar)
That depends on wether on not "ballistics fingerprinting" (hah!) is wide spread. Firing pins leave pretty distinctive tool marks as well.

Yeah they can but if you have the actual bullet fired a decent amount of the time you are going to be to get significant information concerning the weapon type etc. Further if you actually have the gun for comparison to a bullet the case significantly drops in value in terms of evidence.

I'm not saying that it's not a valid concern it just seems to be a case where the possibility of identifying a suspect from the ejected casings is significantly overstated.

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Apr 15 2005, 07:49 PM
Post #15

Mostly Harmless

Member No.: 176

QUOTE (mfb)
well, there are plenty of weapon designs that would still be around in SR3 and even SR4 that use cased ammo. caseless might be popular, but i honestly doubt that it would have the lion's share of the market. (of course, it's equally unlikely that wireless tech would take the sudden leap to the forefront between '65 and '70, so...)

Yeah. You kind of have to put it all into reference here.

When Shadowrun first came out in 1989, caseless ammunition and weapons to fire it were supposed to be the Big Step Forward in small arms design. The Berlin Wall was still up while the book was being written, so the G11 was a big thing in Germany, and the Advanced Combat Rifle program was gearing up in the US, which the G11 was part of. I don't think you can really fault anyone for thinking caseless would be the best thing since sliced bread since a lot of gun rags were pissing themselves over it and technical information about the concept was not easy to come by in those days before the Internet. Anyway, caseless wasn't widely given up on until after SR2 came out. Things happened and the idea kind of flopped.

Edit: Now that I look at SR1, it appears that caseless ammunition wasn't even addressed until either SR2 (1992; which I don't have) or Fields of Fire (1994).

But there's not really much of an excuse for not fixing that stuff in SR3. It's one paragraph that would make things just that much more believeable. But on the other hand, it's not terribly difficult to ignore, either. If you're fine with taking a slap from the abstract stick, it's really not that big of a deal. It cuts down on the need for the developers to come up with specifically cased or caseless firearms. You can just say "hey, this gun is made by the same company, has the same stats, but it fires caseless ammo instead of cased. we'll just ignore the 'two versions of the same model' part". However, that does tend to ignore the reasoning behind the development of caseless ammunition in the first place, which was increased rate of fire = increased hit probability; basically a mechanical solution to a training problem.

Anyway, caseless ammunition is pretty unlikely to be as big of a deal as it's made out to be in SR so far. These days the big ammunition trend is going toward polymer cased ammunition (Natec). That I can see happening, at least on a military level. But as long as hunting is legal, brass is cheap, and hunters can reload, metallic cased cartridges will be around.

Anyway, it's kind of similar to the whole wireless thing in SR4. They didn't see it coming prior to SR3, as I'm sure not many of us did. They didn't expect the caseless small arms concept to flop, either.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Apr 15 2005, 07:52 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (Vuron)
I'm not saying that it's not a valid concern it just seems to be a case where the possibility of identifying a suspect from the ejected casings is significantly overstated.

Oh, in that case, yeah I agree one hundred per cent.

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Apr 15 2005, 07:53 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

As a key need to fix mechanic I would tend to say yes it's of a minor sort but like many people have said it's a very simple thing to correct it in the gun descriptions and pretty much retcon it out of existence.

And sense presumably a good percentage of the fluffy bits around the system haven't been written it's a great time to see things like caseless ammo disappear into the sunset.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Apr 15 2005, 07:58 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (Raygun)
But as long as hunting is legal, brass is cheap, and hunters can reload, metallic cased cartridges will be around.

Goodness, I didn't even think about reloads, I'm only an occasional shooter. Caseless will never take off for cilvilian and home defense. Ammo is too expensive for a serious hobbiest. From what I can tell, hardcore shooters would give up reloading just before they would give up breathing (which would before they gave up their guns ;) .)

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Apr 15 2005, 08:04 PM
Post #19

Mostly Harmless

QUOTE (Vuron)
Caseless ammo at current is pretty much limited to failed products like the G11 rifle and IIRC some very heavy machineguns.

In terms of small arms, there are only two firearms I can think of off the top of my head that were designed to use caseless ammunition. The G11 and the Voere VEC91. The VEC91 was a bolt-action hunting rifle made in Austria, and fired a much different caseless cartridge than the G11 (it was electronically primed), with about the same ballistic properties as the .223 Remington. It flopped originally because there was only one source for ammunition and only one load for it, though I think it is still made.

You're not identifying a suspect, you're identifying a gun. There's a very big difference there, as a gun can be used by different people in the midst of an attack. There is other information that identified cases can provide, and that evidence may make a significant difference in a conviction, especially if there are multiple shooters and shots fired.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Apr 15 2005, 08:06 PM
Post #20

Resident Legionnaire

Member No.: 6,550

QUOTE (Vuron @ Apr 15 2005, 02:19 PM)
In terms of the dealing with spent casings for shadowrunners if it's that big of a concern then presumably you could have a nomex bag over the case ejection assembly that would catch the spent cartridges. It would be somewhat bulky but if leaving no casings is that big of a concern then it's definitely an option.

If you don't mind dealing with the ejection problems and many malfunctions that will occur from using this...If you don't have the weapon perfectly straight, i.e. you have it at a slight left-side cant, the case has an annoying habit of falling back into the ejection port (or not leaving it all the way in the first place) as it's trying to load the next round.

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Apr 15 2005, 08:19 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
QUOTE (Vuron @ Apr 15 2005, 02:19 PM)

If you don't mind dealing with the ejection problems and many malfunctions that will occur from using this...If you don't have the weapon perfectly straight, i.e. you have it at a slight left-side cant, the case has an annoying habit of falling back into the ejection port (or not leaving it all the way in the first place) as it's trying to load the next round.

I'm not an firearms engineer but it would seem to reason if dealing with spent casings is a major issue for most shadowrunners that presumably a reasonably reliable method for catching the casings could be accomplished in some sort of aftermarket form. In general it just doesn't seem like anyone particularly worries about the problem inordinately in today's world.

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Apr 15 2005, 08:30 PM
Post #22

Mostly Harmless

QUOTE (Vuron)
I'm not an firearms engineer but it would seem to reason if dealing with spent casings is a major issue for most shadowrunners that presumably a reasonably reliable method for catching the casings could be accomplished in some sort of aftermarket form. In general it just doesn't seem like anyone particularly worries about the problem inordinately in today's world.

Anyone that you know about, anyway.

Certainly no one is going to make a caseless firearm for the purpose of eliminating that bit of evidence. But depending on the circumstances, it's not totally unreasonable to assume that one might choose to use a caseless firearm for that reason.

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Apr 15 2005, 08:41 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (Raygun)

Certainly no one is going to make a caseless firearm for the purpose of eliminating that bit of evidence. But depending on the circumstances, it's not totally unreasonable to assume that one might choose to use a caseless firearm for that reason.

Yes I could see the possibility of deciding to go with a caseless weapon if all other considerations are equal. So yeah if caseless becomes so common in the future so as to justify having a caseless and cased variety for each firearm I could see people willing to pay more for the caseless variant.

Of course like you've said the major design reasons behind caseless weapons are signficantly different than cased firearms. I for one would be much happier if caseless weapons were rare and expensive and had greater RoF ammo capacity than a cased weapon.

So instead of a Ares Predator being offered in cased and caseless (particularly in the exact same gun) I'd like to see a completely different weapon like Ares Stalker that has lower base damage (to represent the smaller ammo) but a high rate of fire and a signficantly higher ammo capacity.

It would offer more options for the gun nuts out there and might make firearms within a class more appreciably different from each other than they are in SR3.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 15 2005, 09:07 PM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Vuron)
In general it just doesn't seem like anyone particularly worries about the problem inordinately in today's world.

i'm not sure what you mean by this. the gutterpunks who run around "popping caps" often don't worry about it, sure, but that's because in that particular subculture, prison is a home away from home. it's not that they don't think they'll be caught, it's that they don't care if they get caught.

i don't know many professional killers, myself, but i do imagine that the ones who make their living doing such things do, indeed, worry about picking up their brass. of course, those guys probably don't tend to open up with automatic weapons and spray hundreds of rounds (and shell casings) all over the area, so it's much simpler for them to clean up afterwards.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Apr 15 2005, 09:20 PM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

Since it's been part of the game since the start, I wouldn't mind them keeping the caseless/cased dualtity, but only if they could come up with believable in-game explanations for all the questions it raises.

One of the times the caseless/cased debates came up in the past, someone suggested that perhaps SR's caseless is something of a misnomer, that it actually has a thin case made out of a material (aluminium, perhaps) that vaporizes away as the round ignites. While that could potentially explain away some of the caseless/cased issue's wierdness it doesn't address why that sort of "vaporizing case" ammunition would be developed and find its way into widespread use in the first place.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:34 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.