IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Galatea Method (Ally Spirit), (Thanks to AH for inspiration)
Demosthenes
post Apr 20 2005, 08:20 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,850

Ally Spirit formulae:

The Galatea Method -
Developed in the 2040s, this set of principles for summoning Ally spirits is much used by Hermetics, having originally been developed by Luca Buonnaroti in the university of Turin.

Buonarotti published the Method as a part of his Th.D. thesis, but never actually used it - he developed as a part of his studies into the art of Conjuring.
Since his Th.D. was funded by Saeder-Krupp, Buonnaroti's results became proprietary to that Corporation. Parts of the Galatea Method have been leaked to the magical community at large, but most of its users are Saeder-Krupp wage-mages.

According to Buonnaroti's ideas, the way in which a spirit is summoned (in the case of an Ally, its formula) can have a great influence on the mental state and "moral compass" of the summoned spirit.

If a magician uses the procedures set out in this method to derive the formula for an ally spirit, the resultant Ally is generally very obedient and friendly to its summoner - if frequently more free-willed than many others.

As a result, Allies summoned using this method are frequently more pleasant to have around - they seem to actually enjoy their service.

The Galatea Method does have its detractors - allies summoned using its procedures are often slightly different from the precise specifications of the formula (generally in ways that express the personality of the summoning magician, though not necessarily his or her subconscious), and they often break their summoner's control at inconvenient times.

Well-treated Galatea Allies will often remain well-disposed to their summoners, and may even continue to aid them in their endeavours.

The most common reason for a mage to use the Galatea Method is that it produces Allies that, from the very moment of creation, tend to act independently on behalf of the summoner, rather than the usual "passive" ally that acts only when commanded to.

[ Spoiler ]

[Edit]Typo in Buonnaroti...[/Edit]

This post has been edited by Demosthenes: Apr 21 2005, 07:06 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Apr 20 2005, 09:05 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Cool.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Apr 20 2005, 10:17 AM
Post #3

The King In Yellow

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,121

Neat!

Y'know, all these articles should be stowed away somewhere ... it seems threads on DS are deleted after a while, and seeing these ides vanish that way is just a shame.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 20 2005, 10:28 AM
Post #4

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Threads are not deleted over time. You just need to go to the bottom of each forum and change the box where it says last 30 days' to 'the beginning' to access all of them.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Apr 20 2005, 03:24 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

Still I have seen valuable data disappear before because a bulletin board sever crashed. I encourage anybody that posts such things to keep a copy on non degrading media so they don’t loos it and grant permission for others to archive stories they like (with due credit being given naturally).

Some of the data I have seen lost includes detailed care and breeding instructions for types of aquarium fish that never got backed up. Although the raw data remained available weeks of discussion of implications, extensions and ideas for future study where lost when the server hard drive failed. When I went looking for the discussion weeks latter nobody had a record of it.

Edward

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Apr 20 2005, 03:26 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Yeah, lost the first copy of the Sperethiel dictionary that way. Back-ups are your friend.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 21 2005, 03:28 AM
Post #7

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Ancient History)
Yeah, lost the first copy of the Sperethiel dictionary that way.

On this edition of Dumpshock, or a former one?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Apr 21 2005, 03:31 AM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Former.

+Quote Post
Halabis
post Apr 21 2005, 05:19 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,773

Whoa!! completely off topic, but when did you get added to the Freelancer catagory AH? What books you work on? I have to go buy them now!

+Quote Post
audun
post Apr 21 2005, 10:02 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 381

QUOTE (hermit)
Neat!

Y'know, all these articles should be stowed away somewhere ...

Vote added. In addition, having them all in one place makes them much more accessible. If you didn't catch them when they were posted on Dumpshock you will probably don't even know that they exist.
AH's site seems like the obvious place to me. Please?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Apr 21 2005, 02:58 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Halabis)
Whoa!! completely off topic, but when did you get added to the Freelancer catagory AH? What books you work on? I have to go buy them now!

They moved me a couple of weeks ago. While I'm flattered, you shouldn't buy a book just because I'm connected with it in any peripheral way, though you've probably bought SOTA:64 already.

QUOTE (aurun)
AH's site seems like the obvious place to me. Please?

I've been giving the idea of a site or section for game material some thought, but I haven't done it yet.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 21 2005, 10:29 PM
Post #12

Immoral Elf

What did you write in SotA64, AH?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Apr 22 2005, 12:28 AM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Very little. Mainly, I provided necessary help and some ideas that a couple of the freelancers fleshed out. I have written up a section for SoLA, though.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:14 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.