IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What happened?, Understanding the metaplot...
Axensmash
post Apr 21 2005, 12:32 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,804

Does anyone know where a guy can go to get a real history of all of the various metaplots that have come and gone since Shadowrun debuted. Like a list of whos who and what happened to resolve the plot and so on?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Critias
post Apr 21 2005, 12:33 PM
Post #2

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

Not sure this needs to be in SR4 (don't be surprised if an admin uproots it)... and not sure exactly where to find stuff, but PM Ancient History. He'll be able to hook ya up, I'm sure.

+Quote Post
Caine Hazen
post Apr 21 2005, 12:53 PM
Post #3

MechRigger Delux

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 1,657

yup..looks over AH's site (don't have it off hand, but it's easy to find) he'll likely pop in and comment. The interactive timeline has some stuff to it too...and read some of the novels

+Quote Post
Demosthenes
post Apr 21 2005, 12:54 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,850

Here

+Quote Post
Axensmash
post Apr 21 2005, 07:41 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 6,804

I'm familiar with Ancient History's site (great stuff by the way) but its not really what I am looking for.

I realize that most of it is in the various sourcebooks and novels that have been published over the last 15 years but what I am looking for is some place that consolidates all of the past metaplots that have come to a definite conclusion and gives me a gist of what went down and when, who did what etc. Also a list of where I could find the information would be nice too.

Maybe I am just lazy but with 15 years of material spanning over 3 different editions its tough to keep up on all of it. Hell I don't even know which plots have come to a conclusion. Dunkelzahns will alone must have started quite a few plots that I;m not sure are still going or just have quietly faded into the background.

It would be nice to have a consolidated tome of history - like an expanded "And so it came to pass..." book or something.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 21 2005, 07:46 PM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

This might help a bit. A blank search gets you a lot of information.

~J

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Apr 21 2005, 07:50 PM
Post #7

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

There isn't a thing as one single definitive metaplot, unless you are counting the whole "Magic meets Cyberpunk" paradigm as the metaplot. There are various little metaplots, some of which overlap and cross, and most of the stuff written after 1995 also has metaplots that correspond to game years (the most blatant example is "Year of the Comet"). If they compiled all of the metaplots into one book, then there would be no need to sell the old books, or new books based on the old material (i.e. not a good financial decision).

I suppose it would be a worthy project to start up on the Sixth World Wiki, under a new category heading: "Sixth World Metaplots" or something similar.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Apr 21 2005, 07:58 PM
Post #8

Prime Runner

Member No.: 51

As far as I'm concerned, the Sixth World Wiki is ideal for that. Most of the metaplot information can easily be covered in the various entries -- really, that was one of the major reasons for starting the Wiki; to consolidate information.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Apr 21 2005, 08:04 PM
Post #9

Mr. Johnson

Better yet, you can just link off of the current headings on the Timeline section of the Wiki that state "Year of the Bug", "Year of the Dragon", etc. That'll probably be the best way to catch most of those "flavor of the year" metaplots. As for the rest, most of them fit pretty easily under the Organizations headings.

+Quote Post
Eldritch
post Apr 21 2005, 08:05 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,139

Adam, didn't you mention a sort of 6th world almanac that was to be published? Is that still being developed?

That would be a great book to have, consolidate the last 15 years of metaplot. No stats needed, just history.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Apr 21 2005, 08:10 PM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

QUOTE (Adam @ Apr 21 2005, 01:58 PM)
As far as I'm concerned, the Sixth World Wiki is ideal for that. Most of the metaplot information can easily be covered in the various entries -- really, that was one of the major reasons for starting the Wiki; to consolidate information.

I think this is what Adam was talking about.

+Quote Post
Eldritch
post Apr 21 2005, 08:21 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,139

Nah, there was talk back when this whole thing began about a German language 'Almanac' putting the history in one place and clearing up some of the inconsistencies between 'German Canon' and 'The rest of us Canon'

Here

You have to skim through to get the gist, but about 3 pages in Adam makes a few comments about the English Version.

It would be cool! Even for those that don't convert to 4th. Or even for those that don't play much anymore, that enjoy reading about the setting.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Apr 21 2005, 08:30 PM
Post #13

Prime Runner

Member No.: 51

I've said the extent of what I'm able to say about that project.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Apr 21 2005, 08:50 PM
Post #14

Mr. Johnson

It would help to have a list of what metaplots folks are interested in, so I and other folks who update the wiki (not many people, unfortunately) can have a wishlist of things to write about. Off the top of my head (note: incomplete, and not necessarily accurate):
* The Year of the Bug - 2056 Bug City, the Universal Brotherhood, and Ares
* The Year of the Dragon - 2057 Dunkelzahn's Will
* The Year of the Mob War - 2058 Seattle Underground erupts into a Mob War
* The Year of the Corporate War - 2059 Fuchi falls apart and becomes Novatech, Cross and Wuxing join the ranks of the AAA, and Yamatetsu moves
* The Year of the AI - 2060 Deus, Renraku Arcology shutdown
* The Year of the Comet - 2061 Probe Race, SURGE, Ghostwalker, General Saito, Yucatan War, The Huk and the sunset of the Japanese Empire
* Immortal Elves and the Tir nations
* Dragons and their machinations
* Ordo Maximus and other Vampire conspiracies
* Black Lodge
* Winternight
* Blood Mages and Aztechnology
* Druids
* The Islamic Unity Movement

Any others?

+Quote Post
The Question
post Apr 21 2005, 09:49 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 7,166

Darke/Oscuro and the Horrors, although that could be included in the Dunkelzhan section...

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Apr 21 2005, 09:49 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 6,543

QUOTE (hahnsoo)
It would help to have a list of what metaplots folks are interested in, so I and other folks who update the wiki (not many people, unfortunately) can have a wishlist of things to write about. Off the top of my head (note: incomplete, and not necessarily accurate):
* The Year of the Bug - 2056 Bug City, the Universal Brotherhood, and Ares
* The Year of the Dragon - 2057 Dunkelzahn's Will
* The Year of the Mob War - 2058 Seattle Underground erupts into a Mob War
* The Year of the Corporate War - 2059 Fuchi falls apart and becomes Novatech, Cross and Wuxing join the ranks of the AAA, and Yamatetsu moves
* The Year of the AI - 2060 Deus, Renraku Arcology shutdown
* The Year of the Comet - 2061 Probe Race, SURGE, Ghostwalker, General Saito, Yucatan War, The Huk and the sunset of the Japanese Empire
* Immortal Elves and the Tir nations
* Dragons and their machinations
* Ordo Maximus and other Vampire conspiracies
* Black Lodge
* Winternight
* Blood Mages and Aztechnology
* Druids
* The Islamic Unity Movement

Any others?

Widow and Weaver forming a power block to fight Golden snout.

CFS getting invaded by any and every one who is near by.

CAS becoming the real America.

The Vory fighting the Mob in Eorupe.

The big synidacates letting metas and magic in.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Apr 21 2005, 09:55 PM
Post #17

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (Cynic project)

Ah, the Anti-Lofwyr League. That's a good one, and it's even mentioned fairly regularly.
CFS getting invaded by any and every one who is near by.
That's more of "the history of California" than a metaplot. The Shasta/N. Crescent (Hestaby and the Tir) and Saito elements (as an extension of the Japanese Occupation/Resistance) are metaplot, definitely. The occupation of LA by Pueblo is rather strange to me. The goings on in the Mojave are definitely something to put a spotlight on.
Is this an extension of "One Nation Under God" in Threats 2? Or something else entirely?
The Vory fighting the Mob in Europe.

The big syndicates letting metas and magic in.
Yup, the syndicates should probably get their individual treatment.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Apr 21 2005, 09:56 PM
Post #18

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (The Question)
Darke/Oscuro and the Horrors, although that could be included in the Dunkelzhan section...

Or the Blood Magic section. Although I've already written a bio on Darke on the Wiki.

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Apr 21 2005, 10:01 PM
Post #19

Running Target

QUOTE (hahnsoo)
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Apr 21 2005, 04:49 PM)

Ah, the Anti-Lofwyr League. That's a good one, and it's even mentioned fairly regularly.

The scary thing is that, that they are holding there owwwn in msot fronts and winning in a few.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Apr 21 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #20

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (Cynic project)
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Apr 21 2005, 04:55 PM)

The scary thing is that, that they are holding there owwwn in msot fronts and winning in a few.

Well, it depends on your definition of "winning". I think Lofwyr's attention is drawn elsewhere with his possession of the Jewel of Memory and his recent defeat at the last Trial of Possession by Hestaby. There's only so much that a single micromanaging dragon can do, although he can certainly do a LOT. Dragons also have long lives, and can afford to take the long view of things.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Apr 22 2005, 07:38 AM
Post #21

Guests

QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Is this an extension of "One Nation Under God" in Threats 2? Or something else entirely?

It's the overarching theme of the CAS (which got a new name, btw) chapter of SoNA.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Apr 22 2005, 09:18 AM
Post #22

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (hahnsoo)

The goal of the mentioned network in "one nation under god" was iirc to re-establish the good old USA. They're active in all northamerican states and nations.

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Apr 22 2005, 08:33 PM
Post #23

Running Target

QUOTE (hahnsoo)
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Apr 21 2005, 05:01 PM)
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Apr 21 2005, 04:55 PM)

Well, it depends on your definition of "winning". I think Lofwyr's attention is drawn elsewhere with his possession of the Jewel of Memory and his recent defeat at the last Trial of Possession by Hestaby. There's only so much that a single micromanaging dragon can do, although he can certainly do a LOT. Dragons also have long lives, and can afford to take the long view of things.

They are winning in the term that they are setting up long term plans and allies that will break the strangle hold SK has. There are more than a few first,second and third tier corps, Elves and Dragons in Lofwyr's back yard that hate him, more than they hate each other. Also remember that Dragons aren't the only ones that live forever.

The two biggest names of this power block are johnny and Oakforst. Neither of these people seem to have short term goals, and they have feelers around the world. I wouldn't be shocked if another one the big dragons goes to war with Lofwyr. Celyder(sp) is is about to reach a point where he will not be able to gain more power in the caprate world without getting into a nasty fight with Golden Snout. If Trany and Nova merge, I wouldn't be shocked it happened because some help from the Spinster. This action would not beat Lofwyr, but it would really hurt him. SK, is like the US of the corp world, what I mean by this, is that there haven't really been any wars on their turf. Europe, has had only one AAA, and the other AAA's haven't been desperate enough to really go at SK's core. If Nova is so desperate that they would merge with Trany, I can say this, the shadows of Europe will never be the same.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Apr 22 2005, 08:38 PM
Post #24

Mr. Johnson

Then there is Ghostwalker vs. Lofwyr. That will be an interesting match. All of the flavor text writing is pointing to conflict between the two (Magic 8-Ball says "Signs point to Yes").

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Apr 22 2005, 08:43 PM
Post #25

Running Target

What great Dragon doesn't want lofwyr's had on a plate? I mean, Aden, Hestaby, Hulpa, his bother, Lung......

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:40 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.