IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nanoware, do you want more of it in SR4?
More Nanoware?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 120
Guests cannot vote 
Grinder
post Apr 22 2005, 09:23 AM
Post #1

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

Well, as we all know, nanoware/nanotech was introduced in m&m, but was/is expensive and hardly available. And the stuff is mostly crap, lacking useful functions for joe average runner. So should it become more common 2070?

Cool, my first poll :D
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Demosthenes
post Apr 22 2005, 11:00 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,850

Yes.
Small things doing cool stuff are cool.
Like my cellphone.
I don't know what it does, but it's small.
And it's cool.
Yes.
:dead:

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Apr 22 2005, 11:02 AM
Post #3

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

Recently watched "beavis and butthead"?

Small things are cool, yeah! hehe! :D

+Quote Post
Sunshine
post Apr 22 2005, 12:22 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,312

Jes there should be more Nanoware!

I 'd opt for more nanoware, integrated in just about anything: Cell Phones ;) , Weapons (look at my cool new Ares NanoBlade...), Armor, Cyberware, Vehicles, Food (NanErgy - drink it and have a Tatoo apear on your forehead or change Eye Colour...), Sex Toys :eek: , NanoDrugs (NanoWeed?) etc...

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Apr 22 2005, 12:41 PM
Post #5

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

I think a Grey Goo threat would make for an interesting metaplot.
As well as an AI being born of a rogue nanocolony in some person. (Akin to Prey by Michal Crichton).

More nano for the everyday, similair to original Cyberpunk. Nano is much better suited to toxin filtering than the current over-sized and under powered filtration systems in the cyberware.

Also, more fluff nano for dealing with toxic environments, like oil spills and other man-made disasters.

+Quote Post
Lantzer
post Apr 22 2005, 02:48 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,335

I didn't care for CP CyberGeneration (I think that was its name...)

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Apr 22 2005, 02:58 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

Nanoware is the tool of the devil.

Seriously, though, nanoware is often used by sci-fi writers in stupid an illogical ways, because they can't be bothered to define the technology clearly and think all the implications through - which makes it magic by another name. (and this is sort of the approach SR uses right now)

On the other end of the spectrum, you have a world where nanoware is actually being used logically, which is boring as hell and no fun to be a shadowrunner in, because you have these things running around that can get in anywhere, stay anywhere and be essentially invisible (here's to having a few million micrscopic surveillance cameras to deal with), dissassemble anything on a molecular level, (how about a security system that simply fires off a canister of nanobots designed to disassemble anything organic that doesn't have the right molecular IFF tag) and can't be hurt with conventional weapons... It's pointless, unless you actually want to play NanoRun.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Apr 22 2005, 03:11 PM
Post #8

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

I voted no because 99% of the time nanotech is a crutch for bad writing and deus ex machine style "we want to do this... so NANO!" It's pretty lame. Also for the reasons stated above.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Apr 22 2005, 03:12 PM
Post #9

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

I don't mind nanoware that makes sense when it's used in a fairly reasonable and logical manner. I do mind nanoware for nanoware's sake that does all sorts of crazy and unbeleivable things.

+Quote Post
Garland
post Apr 22 2005, 03:17 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,043

No. Widespread nano starts getting beyond the level of tech I'm comfortable with and into post-human stuff where too much is possible.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Apr 22 2005, 03:28 PM
Post #11

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

I'd be okay with it, but it'd have to be very strictly controlled. How they're doing it now is good, in that:

1) It's not 'magical'. Everything it does make sense.
2) It's not popular or easily available
3) It isn't advanced enough to become the all pervasive tool of the man, nor does it allow for post-human stuff
4) It IS a tool for the devil, with things like cutters, and the little bumblebees from RA:S

So as long as they advance it ever so gradually, maybe offer more options, but keeping it in its current place for the most part would be alright by me.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Apr 22 2005, 03:29 PM
Post #12

Chicago Survivor

Never even laid hands on the cybergeneration stuff for CP. Talking about the personal grooming type stuff.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 22 2005, 03:40 PM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

QUOTE (mmu1)
Nanoware is the tool of the devil.

Seriously, though, nanoware is often used by sci-fi writers in stupid an illogical ways, because they can't be bothered to define the technology clearly and think all the implications through - which makes it magic by another name. (and this is sort of the approach SR uses right now)

On the other end of the spectrum, you have a world where nanoware is actually being used logically, which is boring as hell and no fun to be a shadowrunner in, because you have these things running around that can get in anywhere, stay anywhere and be essentially invisible (here's to having a few million micrscopic surveillance cameras to deal with), dissassemble anything on a molecular level, (how about a security system that simply fires off a canister of nanobots designed to disassemble anything organic that doesn't have the right molecular IFF tag) and can't be hurt with conventional weapons... It's pointless, unless you actually want to play NanoRun.

Listen to this.

Nanotechnology on a consumer level, pervasive scale changes almost every fundamental paradigm that exists in society. It destroys conventional conceptions of How Things Work. You can't just shove it into your world and inly drag it out when convenient. If you start using it, its implications are incredibly far reaching. It makes for an interesting read from a good writer (The Diamond Age), but not likely a very good roleplaying game and certainly not one that would even begin to resemble cyberpunk, let alone Shadowrun. It's basically every poorly thought out decision and overlooked ramification of magic's current introduction in society in Shadowrun— only ten to a hundred times worse.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Apr 22 2005, 04:13 PM
Post #14

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

I'll second Arethusa. Nanotech is cool, but it is a Vingean Singularity level event; one that totally redefines the way technology works and advances in ways that can not be predicted in terms of anything we have previously. Then again, so it artificial intelligence. Hmm, magic would be, too.
Aw, crap, I guess SR is all about being on the fringe of that sort of thing. I guess maybe I don't have a problem with it afterall. That just may be the point where I suspend my disbelief and enjoy the game.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Apr 22 2005, 04:31 PM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

Remember that a nanite cant do anything significant and dose not have the processing power to make a coherent decision. Without a powerful computer (host level) they cant even be directed to work in an orderly fashion

What they are good at is small things that need to be done a lot of times. Eg breaking down a toxic molecule. You have them in your blood, the toxin enters your blot the nanits randomly bump into toxin molecules and neutralise them.

Ora mannite can bond with O2 releasing it after a short time, this will allow the blood to carry more O2 but the nanites are not making intelligent decisions on when to capture or release it, they just always capture O2 if they can find it and release it a short time latter.

Building something of a predetermined shape would b beyond the ability of nanites (without guidance) but repairing hairline crakes in a material would not, just hope there is nothing that should move freely that they think ids a hairline crack, because they will seal it.

I believe that nanites ether need to be removed from the field of human augmentation or improved as would logically happon.

One peas of equipment that should become available for example is the external nanite hive, produce your own injection of nanites for replenishment weekly and after taking serious injury.

Another thing nanits can’t do is act as a spy camera. They are to small to have individual long range sensing equipment and communication and correlation of short range data including exact positions would require more processing power than anything short of the best hosts could provide.

Edward

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Apr 22 2005, 04:57 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

QUOTE (Edward @ Apr 22 2005, 11:31 AM)
Remember that a nanite cant do anything significant and dose not have the processing power to make a coherent decision. Without a powerful computer (host level) they cant even be directed to work in an orderly fashion

(...)

Another thing nanits can’t do is act as a spy camera. They are to small to have individual long range sensing equipment and communication and correlation of short range data including exact positions would require more processing power than anything short of the best hosts could provide.

So they're big enough to include equipment for two-way communication with an external host, but too small to have a rudimentary camera?

I think you're basing your statements on too many assumptions based on how you personally imagine nanotech to be like, whereas I (and others) were talking about some of the implications of perfected, consumer-level nanotechnology.

Regardless, SR nanotech is clearly beyond the level of carrying out simple, repetitive tasks - the way it's used in various medical and cyber-implantation procedures makes that pretty clear.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Apr 22 2005, 04:59 PM
Post #17

Remember, the nanite does not have to carry a long range video camera. All it has to do is measure one specific frequency. (maybe visible light, maybe radio, maybe anything. Each one can measure something slightly different) Each nanite has to communicate only one value to the host. It's the host's job to turn the array into a detailed image.
Nanites can't act as spy cameras like a human eye, but they could do it like a fly's eye.
........I think.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Apr 22 2005, 05:02 PM
Post #18

Chicago Survivor

Seriously, read Prey. One of the best Sci-fi handlings of Nanotech I've seen in a long time.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Apr 22 2005, 05:03 PM
Post #19

I know, I know, it's on my list. ;)

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Apr 22 2005, 05:16 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

It's one of those neat ideas that didn't really take off like I'd hoped it would. Nanotech is pretty cool, and would probably be viewed as more "magical" than actual magic in SR considering it's rather sight-unseen that works without having you to do anything.

Kind of reminds me of something from Terminator 2, where the T-1000 was basically a colleciton of nano-computers (among other things). I would imagine the military applications would be mind-numbingly cool.

I hope they give Nanotech it's time in SR4.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Apr 22 2005, 08:22 PM
Post #21

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

Another note: Long before the publication of Man and Machine, nanotechnology was already part of the Shadowrun world. True, the vision laid down by Karl Wu in Shadowtech focused on biological nanobots (which are quite feasible, not to mention lower on the tech scale, since you don't have to construct a de novo replication framework... just use DNA), but the datajack and many other pieces of cyberware cannot (and did not) exist without nanotechnology. There should be a distinction between nanoware (inserting nanites as a human body enhancement) and nanotechnology (any application of microscopically miniaturized tech), and I'd certainly like to see more of the latter.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Apr 22 2005, 09:09 PM
Post #22

Chicago Survivor

I had forgotten about tat cyberware was built through application of specialized microbes that would eat a material, be drawn to a location through chemical process then die and deposit the material. that is how they claim a good bit of the implantation is done, which doesn't explain the woulnds received in the operation for implantation of certain cyberware.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Apr 22 2005, 11:05 PM
Post #23

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (Nikoli)
I had forgotten about tat cyberware was built through application of specialized microbes that would eat a material, be drawn to a location through chemical process then die and deposit the material. that is how they claim a good bit of the implantation is done, which doesn't explain the woulnds received in the operation for implantation of certain cyberware.

Only the neural interface part is "built" this way. The rest of it is the implantation of hardware, which will definitely at least be a scalpel wound. I'd also imagine that you'd have to be put under anesthesia for at least part of the neural interface implantation, which would certainly put the body under stress.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 22 2005, 11:33 PM
Post #24

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Only the neural interface part is "built" this way. The rest of it is the implantation of hardware, which will definitely at least be a scalpel wound.

IIRC, Bone Lacing is listed as being implanted using Nanites.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Apr 22 2005, 11:41 PM
Post #25

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Apr 23 2005, 09:05 AM)
Only the neural interface part is "built" this way.  The rest of it is the implantation of hardware, which will definitely at least be a scalpel wound.

IIRC, Bone Lacing is listed as being implanted using Nanites.

Yeah, I'm not suggesting that only neural interfaces in general are constructed this way, but on most cyberware, the physical "chrome" part is implanted through surgery (like a datajack plug or a metal container or a chip) while the neural interface is constructed through nanites.

It would be very difficult to implant bone lacing without nanites, or massive expensive surgery. I think nanites would be the better option, personally. :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:48 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.