> SOTA:2064 Question, Top Ten Most Wanted Criminals
FrostyNSO
post Apr 22 2005, 05:55 PM
Post #1

Resident Legionnaire

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,550

Sayid Mujtaba Musawi

This guy ranks in at number 5, and it mentions that Argus has placed a price on his head. Anybody got any idea how much this price would reasonably be? If so, would it be plausible that a "western" government might pay more?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Apr 22 2005, 06:58 PM
Post #2

Guests

Well, considering how the Olympic Park VITAS-bombing mastermind only has a 50k price on his head, I'd suggest about 50k.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Apr 22 2005, 07:07 PM
Post #3

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

how cheap ... I mean, every somewhat senior el Quaida goon has a rice tag in the millions. And a government, even a defunct one, still can muster enormous funds if it really wants to. 500K at least.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Apr 22 2005, 07:09 PM
Post #4

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

Yeah, if the Draco Foundation could muster up 1 million nuyen for the top ten Blood/Toxic Mages out there, why would you go after a "regular" terrorist? :D Just Kidding.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Apr 22 2005, 07:09 PM
Post #5

Guests

Well, it wouldn't be the first time it was a typo if it happened once. But in two different books, I just think they are low-balling it for a reason.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Apr 22 2005, 08:12 PM
Post #6

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

Plus bombing an international peace conference tends to nark people off a bit so I wouldn't say less than at least a hundred grand. Nuyen or local currency though is the question.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Apr 22 2005, 08:14 PM
Post #7

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Well, it wouldn't be the first time it was a typo if it happened once. But in two different books, I just think they are low-balling it for a reason.

Yeah, like the "standard" shadowrun payments.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Apr 22 2005, 08:17 PM
Post #8

The King In Yellow

Maybe the first reference was a typo, and the second was due to the author looking the price up in whereever the first (typo'd) number was printed?

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Apr 22 2005, 11:21 PM
Post #9

Guests

Well, my point is this:

Maybe Europol doesn't want him caught.

+Quote Post
Kaosaur
post Apr 23 2005, 12:41 AM
Post #10

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,335

When I read threads like this, I feel the Sourcebook writers should troll here to steal our comments for Shadowland flavor-text.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Apr 23 2005, 01:12 AM
Post #11

Resident Legionnaire

Wow, 50k. IIRC 1 nuyen is about 5 UCAS dollars? So that's still only a quarter mil.

Horrible...just horrible. I would think the families of the diplomats who were killed would muster more than that.

So, according to those who have commented, somewhere between 50k and 500k?

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Maybe Europol doesn't want him caught.

So does anybody know why Argus would place a bounty on his head? They're just an independant intelligence agency right? Did they lose an important informant?

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Apr 23 2005, 05:43 AM
Post #12

Guests

Because they made MET2000 look bad by breaching their security and killing a lot of VIPs whom were under MET2000's protection.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Apr 23 2005, 05:48 AM
Post #13

Resident Legionnaire

Interesting quote from the CBS News website that proves SR is lowballing this sort of thing. I mean, the guy I mentioned is supposed to be the second in command of the NIJ.

Here is a blurb on a present day terrorist:

Zarqawi joins three other terrorists with rewards of $25 million on their heads. The others are Bin Laden, the al Qaeda founder and leader; Al-Adel, one of its top operatives; and Ayman Al-Zawahiri, bin Laden's chief lieutenant.

Twenty-two other people are on the rewards program list, but $5 million will be paid out in their cases.

A Jordanian, Zarqawi turned 37 on Thursday. His State Department wanted poster describes him as having an olive complexion, dark hair and eyes and a Jordanian passport. He uses the alias Ahmad Fadil Al-Khalailah.

"Individuals providing information may be eligible for a reward, protection of their identities, and relocation with their families," the department notes. In the past seven years, the Rewards for Justice program has paid out more than $49 million in 29 cases.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Apr 23 2005, 06:07 AM
Post #14

Guests

I was thinking about that, too, that it's the eqv. of the reward on Zawahiri's head. At first I thought it was a typo. Now... I have no idea, just rampant speculation and conjecture.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Apr 23 2005, 10:36 AM
Post #15

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

Maybe there's the official bounty by argus (say50k or so) and an unofficial one promised by the families of the killed diplomats. The latter could easily be a mil nuyen imo.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Apr 23 2005, 11:05 AM
Post #16

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

Maybe they just didn't want a 50 million nuyen reward for anything, ever, in a published book?

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Apr 23 2005, 11:20 AM
Post #17

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

No, that's a way too simple and logical answer. ;)

+Quote Post
BGMFH
post Apr 23 2005, 12:53 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,018

QUOTE (Critias)
Maybe they just didn't want a 50 million nuyen reward for anything, ever, in a published book?

Like any GM would let players claim the bounty anyways? They'd be thrown in jail most likely, and definitely not get the cash.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Apr 23 2005, 01:01 PM
Post #19

The King In Yellow

Well, I'd let them have the possibility ... it's just that they'd be up against an entire terrorist organisation (which can do awful things to them, their friends, their contacts, and their rep), and evev after collecting it, they'd be stuck with three additional enemies and the hunted flaw.

Sure, they could, but it'd cost them dearly. Besides, 50 million are good for characters to retire. I'd propably not punish them that harshly if they planned to retire their characters. Since there're governments involved, I'd give them bullet-proof IDs, and let them live on as NPCs in secure villas in sourthern France, Hawaii or whereever they want to retire.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Apr 23 2005, 03:17 PM
Post #20

Resident Legionnaire

Well that's what my players had in mind. They are entirely undaunted by the fact that they are going to be a couple of white boys in the middle east. They'll never be able to infiltrate the organization in all likelyhood, and they don't have enough money to bribe their way to this guy. On top of that, they don't know the language, and don't know anybody in that part of the world. Honestly, I don't know what their plan is.

The way I explained it to them, it'll be like finding a needle in a stack of needles. But they're determined, so I'll roll with it.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Apr 24 2005, 03:21 PM
Post #21

The King In Yellow

If they choose the blunt approach, warn them. Have thewir stuff blow up, or have them be beaten to pulp by Arab gangs. Terror organisations aren't states or megacorps, but they can muster ressources that make them a god-like enemy for a runner team nonetheless. You don't wanna end on top of some bin Laden wannabe's shit list as a runner.

Unless they manage to blend in, convince his terror organisation they're on their side, nvest about five years of working their way up the ranks of said organisation, and do horrible stuff to gain the guy's trust (in the process propably ending up with a hefty price on their heads themselves) they have no chance in hell of finding him. It's not just a needle in the haystack, it's a needle in the haystack that leaves said stack as soon as you enter the barn, hops onto a plane to Vladivostok and jumps into the ocean half way through the flight.

I mean, come on, the US has a hard time locating bin Laden, and your characters are SLIGHTLY below a Superpower's ressources, influence and reach, aren't they?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:32 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.