Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chaos Mage Ideas...
Skun
post Apr 25 2005, 10:16 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,358

Heya, I'm looking to try to put together a mage for a run and I'm thinking of trying to builld a set of themed spells for him, the idea is that all his magic is based on chaos or chaos theory. If anyone has any ideas for spells and what not for this sort of a character feel free to chime in. I have one idea for a "defensive" spell called "Luck of the Devil" The spells effect is to create an personal zone of "luckiness" around the caster where depending on the force of the spell it would raise the target numbers of hostile effects against the caster, however upon removal of the spell the luck effect reverses and the caster takes a dice penalty equal to the force of the spell on the next hostile action against him. (i.e. stubbing ones toe becomes breaking ones foot, etc., the GM can be creative on this) the penalty is large though to keep the drain code down, and then bad luck can also be toned down by increaing the force of the spell without boosting the luck bonus.

-Skun
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Apr 25 2005, 10:38 PM
Post #2

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,014

First of all, the magic concept of "Chaos Magic" in the context of the Shadowrun universe refers to the occult movement that tries to create a "pure" magic system devoid of dogma or credo that works with any belief system. It's a post-modern style that eventually "grows up" into "Unified Magic Theory". Practitioners tend to be hermetic mages that draw their magic symbols and techniques from many different traditions and cultures. More information can be found on Magic in the Shadows, p 24.

Second, it sounds more like you are attempting to recreate the "Wild Magic" tradition, as found in Forgotten Realms, focusing on the concept of luck rather than a true concept of chaos (which isn't luck at all). While some magic tends to be haphazard (especially those spells with a TN of 6), it is rare for spells to have such a degree of power or unreliability as you state without corresponding environmental changes (astral space in UCLA, for example). I would suggest the following spells:
Chaos/Chaotic World
Hot Potato
Poltergeist
Mana Static
Animate
Combat Sense
Deflect

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Apr 25 2005, 10:45 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

MitS has rules for wild magic areas. A wild mage can easily be defined as a mage who always faces effects from those rules. Some totems can also be chaos-ified just as easily, but a few may not make sense.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Apr 25 2005, 10:47 PM
Post #4

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

That could be an interesting metamagic, actually.

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Apr 26 2005, 12:03 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 6,734

*chuckle* gotta create a spell which creates tornados and call it the "Butterfly effect" :)

+Quote Post
Skun
post Apr 26 2005, 12:20 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 7,358

Actually... I do have another spell I thought up along the lines of Chaos Theory....

Chaotic Vision

Allows caster to use applied chaos theory to narrow the strings of probablity and get a glimpse of a result of an action, number of successes determines accuracy, Drain is determined by scope of the event and the actions.

-Skun

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Apr 26 2005, 12:36 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 6,734

QUOTE (Skun)
Actually... I do have another spell I thought up along the lines of Chaos Theory....

Chaotic Vision

Allows caster to use applied chaos theory to narrow the strings of probablity and get a glimpse of a result of an action, number of successes determines accuracy, Drain is determined by scope of the event and the actions.

-Skun

AKA Divination.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Apr 26 2005, 12:55 AM
Post #8

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

QUOTE (Skun)

Chaotic Vision

-Skun

Sounds like the Combat Sense spell, which gives limited precognition (thus giving more Combat Pool dice).

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Apr 26 2005, 01:09 AM
Post #9

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Sounds like the Combat Sense spell, which gives limited precognition (thus giving more Combat Pool dice).

I always envisioned Combat Sense to be more like the movie explainnation for Spiderman's Spider Sense. That is, Combat Sense is a heightened awareness of your current surroundings, such that it *seems* like you're predicting the future.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Apr 26 2005, 01:13 AM
Post #10

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

You may also consider a "mathemagician" (aka Pythagorean) mage also, as per detailed in SOTA 2064.

The great thing about SR magic is that it's subjective.

I always envisioned Combat Sense to be more like the movie explainnation for Spiderman's Spider Sense. That is, Combat Sense is a heightened awareness of your current surroundings, such that it *seems* like you're predicting the future.

and

are 2 ways of "explaining" the same spell. It subjective to the mage casting it. So you don't need to create spells, you just need to define how your mage sees them as being.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:50 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.