IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What exactly is magically/astrally active?, what glows on the astral?
Catsnightmare
post Apr 27 2005, 07:30 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 90

Never really came up but a few times, and I thought I'd try around to see if anyone knows something I missed from a book.
What 'glows' or is otherwise identifyable as magical on the astral.

Active foci = Yes
Deactivated foci = no
Expendable foci not in use = ?
Expendable foci in use = yes
Reusable Fetishes = ?
Expendable Fetishes = ?
Mundane Talisman = ?
Magical library = ? (I once heard of a fucked up tale of a GM who ruled that the mage's libraries are astrally active and couldn't be removed from the mage's study unless the char deactivated the wards around his library, and books left an astral signatue.)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Apr 27 2005, 07:35 PM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

Deactivated foci = no

+Quote Post
hermit
post Apr 27 2005, 07:47 PM
Post #3

The King In Yellow

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,121

For all I know, all but the books are astrally glowing. There ARE enchanted hermetic grimoires, but it's not common for such books. They're basically only a how-to on spell slinging and all other things magical, nothing more.

All that is used to channel Mana is astrally ACTIVE, emaning it can be attacked from the astral. This counts active foci, expendable foci when being used, and mundane talismans (talismen?) when activated.

This brings up another thing I have really been wondering about: Why is a person's DNA code - not a blood sample, but the transcribed, geled, and sequenced DNA profile you get when "analysing DNA" a valid sample for ritual sorcery of any kind? It's about as connected to the person in question as a medical profile or a photograph or some CT scans (or an astral photography of that person's aura, for that matter). Aura propably plays in more than either of the others, given the primarily astral nature of magic.

I just don't see a reason for this. DNA is a component in making up a person, but genotype isn't everything - mthere's also phenotypical adaption, and (at least in SR), there's also that person's Aura - the accumulation of their 'essence' and their emotions and memories. All three are needed to make up a person. Genotype alone is a valid as all others are by themselves, and none of them by themselves. is enough to forge a ritual connection

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Apr 27 2005, 07:53 PM
Post #4

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
Deactivated foci = no

Actually, I don't know about this. I think all Foci have an "always active" Astral Signature, and thus can be assensed. Under Astral Perception (SR3, p171):
You can also see glowing auras surrounding living and magical things and gain information from them, using a psychic sixth sense known as assensing.

Also, SR3, p172
Foci and other magical items (like hermetic circles and shamanic lodges) always retain the astral signature of their owner.

No mention as to whether they are "activated" or "deactivated". Activated foci simply become dual-natured, but even when they aren't active, they probably retain a detectable astral signature which gets picked up on an assensing test. I'd say that it doesn't "glow" like a nightlight, but it still is detectable as a magical item.

Fetishes and Talisman items are "attuned" to the caster. Not sure if this counts as imprinting it with your astral signature as "canon", but as a judgment call I'd say yes.

Magical Libraries aren't magically active (it's just data).

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Apr 27 2005, 08:31 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

QUOTE (hahnsoo)
QUOTE (Jrayjoker @ Apr 27 2005, 02:35 PM)
Deactivated foci = no

Actually, I don't know about this. I think all Foci have an "always active" Astral Signature, and thus can be assensed.

I was assuming unbonded also, my bad.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Apr 27 2005, 08:35 PM
Post #6

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
I was assuming unbonded also, my bad.

And the enchanter has to be dead, too, since an astral signature remains from the enchantment "First Bonding" cost. :) Actually, I believe even an unbonded focus can be identified from astral space as a magical item when assensed. So I'm not so sure about that, either.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 11:55 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.