Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chilling Conversation, Made me think
Swing Kid
post Apr 29 2005, 12:55 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,266

OK, so there I was, sitting in a local club, enjoying some good gillchill when I overheard a guy sitting with a few of his chummers talking about their "Shadow-runs." Obviously, they were very green, actually talking business where every tooth in the bar could listen. Anyway, so the guy brought up the point, "Why run, when we can make a fat living jacking Deckers for their rigs?" At first, I thought the answer was easy, because we tend to keep close tabs with each other, and with our favorite sams. I looked around and realized that this ork was all alone. I look about as dangerous as a three-legged poodle, and am often mistaken for a sqatter, so I have never really seen much of a reason to keep a meatmonkey on the payroll 24-7. It got me kinda nervous. What if someone decided to start targeting deckers?

((Needless to say, I hit the Matrix and took care of that piece of waste (Named Big Jawed Steve, born Steven Riffet, Dale, Cal, Closed SIN #3492YY231, who most recently lives in the Silent Arms inn in DT Seattle, unguarded and alone), helping out his criminal dossier, and forwarding all of it to interested parties. Slot with the Deckers man, and get erased...or found, depending on how you look at it.))
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 29 2005, 01:01 AM
Post #2

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,775

Good thing you'll be nice and safe once SR4 hits.

+Quote Post
The Grifter
post Apr 29 2005, 02:07 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,918

WTF?

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Apr 29 2005, 03:16 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 6,734

Heh - one of my former players complained that he was seeing some strange looks when my group visited the local Waffle Hut and talked shop while there. I think talking about how to "blow up buildings" and "kill that witness" were part of the reason why...

+Quote Post
toturi
post Apr 29 2005, 03:55 AM
Post #5

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Swing Kid)
OK, so there I was, sitting in a local club, enjoying some good gillchill when I overheard a guy sitting with a few of his chummers talking about their "Shadow-runs." Obviously, they were very green, actually talking business where every tooth in the bar could listen. Anyway, so the guy brought up the point, "Why run, when we can make a fat living jacking Deckers for their rigs?" At first, I thought the answer was easy, because we tend to keep close tabs with each other, and with our favorite sams. I looked around and realized that this ork was all alone. I look about as dangerous as a three-legged poodle, and am often mistaken for a sqatter, so I have never really seen much of a reason to keep a meatmonkey on the payroll 24-7. It got me kinda nervous. What if someone decided to start targeting deckers?

((Needless to say, I hit the Matrix and took care of that piece of waste (Named Big Jawed Steve, born Steven Riffet, Dale, Cal, Closed SIN #3492YY231, who most recently lives in the Silent Arms inn in DT Seattle, unguarded and alone), helping out his criminal dossier, and forwarding all of it to interested parties. Slot with the Deckers man, and get erased...or found, depending on how you look at it.))

Ahhh, but did you realise that Mr Riffet has a otaku sister? Who intercepted and embeded a viral code into the data you sent? Which will display a holo saying "Swing pwnz u, u suxxors" and erase her brother's data file? By the way, those chummers he was with is part of his gang/her otaku tribe. Oh and since the local sec corps have an understanding with the local gang, they'd probably subcontract to them the job of talking to you.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Apr 29 2005, 05:19 AM
Post #6

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

I love people who can't get IC/OOC straight.

+Quote Post
Swing Kid
post Apr 29 2005, 06:45 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,266

Not again. I was wondering why that apparition icon wasn't feeding me back any coding. I thought it was a glitch. Either way, he was still talking about Jackin' Deckers.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Apr 30 2005, 02:40 PM
Post #8

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

someone serial killing deckers is going to hit the radar really fast. you might get away with one or two decks but after that? remember most deckers have very special decks they worked on them themselves. No decker worth the name is just carrying around some off the shelf deck he picked up at Radio Shack.

You put an odd deck on the market, it should get attnetion. maybe not the first time. Maybe the early decker you hit was the odd ball who didn't have close chummers but even deckers have on line contacts and someone is going to wonder what happened to their buddy. also contacts are going to dry up quickly if it is known you take out members of the community. Piss off the wrong people and you might even get Lone Star looking for you too-and they'd be safer than the shadow community.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Apr 30 2005, 06:01 PM
Post #9

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

Why beat up deckers, when you can beat up deckmeisters and take all of their junk? If you are going to engage in theft, aim high.

+Quote Post
weblife
post Apr 30 2005, 08:20 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,318

Nice write. :)

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Apr 30 2005, 09:16 PM
Post #11

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
someone serial killing deckers is going to hit the radar really fast. you might get away with one or two decks but after that? remember most deckers have very special decks they worked on them themselves. No decker worth the name is just carrying around some off the shelf deck he picked up at Radio Shack.

The sad thing is, most of the major deck upgrades are a whole lot easier to get from someone else than to program/build them yourself. Hell, it's cheaper to both buy an MPCP and have it installed than it is to just buy the MPCP chip by itself and install it on your own; about one-tenth the cost, in fact. Stupid deck contruction rules.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:58 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.