IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best Adept Powers EVAR!, Hail to street ninjas!
Stev
post Apr 29 2005, 01:59 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,364

I'm curious. What is everyones favorite adept powers. Or perhaps even the most useful. Personally, I'm gonna say that I heart Killing Hands. There's not much cooler than exploding someones face with a well placed pimp slap!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Whizbang
post Apr 29 2005, 02:01 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 6,645

I've found the combo of Killing Hands and Distance strike to be rather effective. Who needs a gun? :)

+Quote Post
The Grifter
post Apr 29 2005, 02:06 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,918

Improved Ability
Increased reflexes
pain Resistance

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Apr 29 2005, 02:11 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Killing hands is one of the powers that really gives the adept a niche, letting him deal with things like spirits much more effectively than a sammie. An adept's real bread and butter, though, is the improved ability power, applied to a combat skill. Combat being based on dice contests, having up to six extra dice is a huge edge.

+Quote Post
The Grifter
post Apr 29 2005, 02:12 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Agreed. Especially with unarmed combat, it gets pretty sick.

+Quote Post
Catsnightmare
post Apr 29 2005, 02:26 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 90

I found that Improved Ability Unarmed and Improved Attribute: Body and Mystic Armor make for a ass-whooping combination.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Apr 29 2005, 02:29 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Killing hands can be hilarious. Personally, I like to imagine Killing Hands as Hokuto no Ken style goodness. But, it's a bit expensive so I usually don't take it unless I have a very strong and specific need for it.

Improved Ability is my workhorse. While it can be fun to apply it to a combat skill I see it as a really cheesy way to max out Stealth and/or Athletics. I regard the .25 per extra dice rate to be a real steal. Stealth is a workhorse, so IA stealth +6 for only 1.5 points is a workhorse.

I think that Pain Resistance and Mystic Armor are both rip offs. If you want to be able to soak most impact damage just be a troll and conserve your magical power points. Pain Resistance used to be something I might conider but I generally think it's a better use of resources to get that through the Edges/Flaws system if I can. Furthermore, I find that if you aren't making a tank style character damage in Shadowrun tends to be either/or. Either you take no damage because no one was shooting at you or you take a lot because you landed in the line of fire, so Pain Resistance wouldn't really be helpful unless you took 10 levels. These days when I play Shadowrun my character usually takes no damage because I always hide, run away, and generally try to avoid confrontations.

While Improved Reflexes is undeniably powerful I find that it's also rather expensive. In the past I've gone totally without it and had a slow as dough character in exchange for a bigger investment in stealth, athletics, and potentially creative means of circumventing obstacles (eg. Great Leap).

Ultimately, I think it's usually a waste to buy something with physad powers (like pain resistance, or the ability to have a really high body score through Improved Attribute), if you can get it with Edges and Flaws or Race. Save your magic points for things that you can only get through magic, like starting with 12 dice in stealth.

+Quote Post
The Grifter
post Apr 29 2005, 02:33 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

I always think of "Fist of The North Star" when I think of Killing Hands. Spinning Mind Control Kick and all that.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Apr 29 2005, 02:33 AM
Post #9

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Kinesics.

+Quote Post
SpasticTeapot
post Apr 29 2005, 02:59 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,893

I'm a big fan of Improved Reflexes, Improved Ability: Pistols, and Sensory Enhancements: thermal graphic vision and magnification. Nobody ever expects to be dropped at sniper rifle range by an elf with a pistol, and 10 dice for a pistol test is nothing to sneeze at, either. My current PC has, after his insane quickness, improved reflexes 4, and assorted edges had a total reaction of 14, and a total initiative of 4d6+14! Attunement, along with a laser sight, give bonuses equivalent to that of a smartlink; this bonus also has the nifty side effect of also working in conjuntion with the Adept's "sensory enhancement" ability to allow shots fired from a heavy pistol to rival a sniper rifle for effectiveness at sniping. (My GM is allowing this PC, interestingly enough. I did't expect him to; however, he seems to be happy just because I actually wrote out a history for my PC instead of making him an unnamed combat monster).
Of course, one cannot go wrong with the combination of "Silent/Delayed Strike" (or whatever it's called), Killing Hands: Deadly, and Improved Ability: unarmed combat if you're doing wetwork. The ability to do full unarmed combat damage against someone twelve hours later by merely brushing against them makes it very easy to neutralize a target, especially if he shakes a lot of hands. (Polititcians beware!)

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Apr 29 2005, 03:14 AM
Post #11

Great Dragon

But the maximum range of pistols is 50 meters.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Apr 29 2005, 03:40 AM
Post #12

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

I really like Delay damage silent, and eiditc memory (however it's spelled) and multi task. I have an infilatrator assasin with those, three dim memory, facial sculpt, and melanin control. Uses infusion for distance strike. That with delay damage silent is just mean, especially if you also have killing hands (he has light only for now). Just picked up commanding voice too. Now THAT one is fun.
One of my PC's in the game I run jsut picked that up. SHe's an elven face, with some light cyber. Charisma's something like 15.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Apr 29 2005, 04:09 AM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Oh, I want to mention that last week I had a character who was actually able to use Missile Parry.

Missile Parry is one of those useless sounding powers that I never take, but in this case I took it just to be in-character, since I was running a character based on Sho Kosugi in "Revenge of the Ninja".

Well, lo and behold, someone threw a hand grenade at my character. After years of playing Shadowrun, I finally got to see Missile Parry come in useful for flinging back grenades.

This got me thinking...even Suspended State might be useful. It would enable you to remove your metal objects and mail yourself into high security areas while being perfectly happy and quiet. Does the SR world still have parcel post?

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post Apr 29 2005, 04:16 AM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 2,840

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Apr 29 2005, 12:09 AM)
Does the SR world still have parcel post?

Well, the Lofwyr part of "Threats" made reference to "UCAS snail mail," so I'm guessing yes.

There are things that can't be transferred by computer data, y'know.

+Quote Post
Trax
post Apr 29 2005, 04:27 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,924

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Oh, I want to mention that last week I had a character who was actually able to use Missile Parry.

Missile Parry is one of those useless sounding powers that I never take, but in this case I took it just to be in-character, since I was running a character based on Sho Kosugi in "Revenge of the Ninja".

Well, lo and behold, someone threw a hand grenade at my character. After years of playing Shadowrun, I finally got to see Missile Parry come in useful for flinging back grenades.

This got me thinking...even Suspended State might be useful. It would enable you to remove your metal objects and mail yourself into high security areas while being perfectly happy and quiet. Does the SR world still have parcel post?

They will still see you in an X-ray scan.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Apr 29 2005, 04:28 AM
Post #16

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

The problem with suspended state is that there is no canon method of deactivating it.
It is described as a "meditative" state. Howveer, it activates automaticly if unconscious from a deadly wound. Presumably, it can be turned off manualy when the Adept isn't suffering from a deadly wound. But nothing says that.

Really bad then about suspended state: Waking up on the autopsy table after a botched run.
Worst thing about suspended state: not waking up on the autopsy table before they strt wieghing your internal organs.

+Quote Post
Trax
post Apr 29 2005, 04:30 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,924

Even worse: Waking up inside a box as it's being cremated.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Apr 29 2005, 04:35 AM
Post #18

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (Trax @ Apr 28 2005, 11:30 PM)
Even worse: Waking up inside a box as it's being cremated.

Nah, then you just use Smashing Blow to break out a-la Kill Bill vol. 2

Besides, anything that lets you feel the damp squishiness of your exposed brain when you try to run your acheing forehead must be best.

+Quote Post
SpasticTeapot
post Apr 29 2005, 04:52 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,893

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
But the maximum range of pistols is 50 meters.

50 meters is a range at which you really need a rifle, preferably one with a scope, to hit accurately. All my character requires is his trusty Glock. Besides, you can get pistols in variants that use no metal at all, unlike rifles, which are a bad idea to bring through a metal detector.
Seriously, though, delayed strike+killing hands+lots of dice in unarmed combat makes for easy killing. There's also the old trick of rushing over to the then-crumpled-over-with -pain target is "okay", dealing him yet more damage.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Apr 29 2005, 04:56 AM
Post #20

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

Ultimately, I think it's usually a waste to buy something with physad powers (like pain resistance, or the ability to have a really high body score through Improved Attribute), if you can get it with Edges and Flaws or Race.

Actually, if you read it, the Pain resistance edge only takes away X boxes, period. The adept power neutralizes one from each track. So, if you have 1 box of the edge, and take a Light Stun and a Light Physical, you're at a penalty. If you have the adept power, you don't take anything.

I've discovered that either 1 or 3 boxes of the adept power are quite useful. You can shrug off the effects of minor wounds, which tend to happen with distressing frequency in some games. If you take more damage, you're kind-of hosed anyway.

+Quote Post
Kaosaur
post Apr 29 2005, 05:11 AM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 7,335

Guns and other mechanical devices really need to get their own static initiative numbers

Realistically, some people just move too fast for the guns to keep up mechanically and the system should work accordingly.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Apr 29 2005, 05:15 AM
Post #22

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

QUOTE (SpasticTeapot)
Nobody ever expects to be dropped at sniper rifle range by an elf with a pistol...

Right. No one expects it because it doesn't happen. Fifty meters is hardly "sniper rifle range." Fifty meters is, however, the maximum range any sort of SR pistol can be used at.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 29 2005, 05:17 AM
Post #23

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

You're kidding, right? The rates of fire of automatic weapons in Shadowrun are incredibly low in comparison to real life.

+Quote Post
Kaosaur
post Apr 29 2005, 05:21 AM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 7,335

QUOTE (Fortune)
You're kidding, right? The rates of fire of automatic weapons in Shadowrun are incredibly low in comparison to real life.

I'm not talking about automatic weapons, I'm talking about the ability to keep pulling the trigger repeatedly in SS/BF and maybe SA.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 29 2005, 05:24 AM
Post #25

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I'll wait for one of the gun-gurus to post specifics about this, but IIRC firing six shots in (around) three seconds with a revolver (not even a semi-auto) isn't anything like a record.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:05 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.