Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hellhounds?, Looking for some flavor text
elbows
post May 5 2005, 10:44 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,807

I'm planning a run involving hellhounds. I've got Critters, but that just has the stats and short blurb that amounts to "hunts in packs, breathes fire".
Does anyone have any more info on their behavior? I don't have any of the old "Paranormal Animals" books.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post May 5 2005, 11:00 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

QUOTE (Paranormal Animals of North America @ p.82)

The hell hound is a coal-black dog with red-rimmed, glaring eyes. It stands up to 0.9 meter high at the shoulder, and can weigh more than 80 kilograms. It is fast and powerful, with an impressive set of enlarged teeth.

The hell hound is an efficient predator, preferring to hunt in packs of up to a dozen individuals. Though it is a rare sight, more than one pack occaisonally cooperates in a hunt. Hell hound packs will cahse and pull down deer and wild sheep, with reports of large or multiple packs attacking animals as large as a bear. Individual hell hounds will also feed on rabbits or squirrels that they can catch.

Pack behavior is well-coordinated. During a hunt, one portion of the pack often operates to flush the prey toward where the rest of the pack waits in ambush. The animals' barking and howling seems to strike fear into their prey, and they use this to good effect.

Though the hell hound is a good hunter, it is not above scavenging. A pack of hell hounds sometimes chases a larger predator away from its kill.

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post May 6 2005, 03:48 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 6,734

Don't forget the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Hellhounds, too...

+Quote Post
Fygg Nuuton
post May 6 2005, 07:18 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,989

hell hounds not found in the wild will not spit fire, IIRC

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post May 6 2005, 09:12 AM
Post #5

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,014

QUOTE (Fygg Nuuton)
hell hounds not found in the wild will not spit fire, IIRC

*blinks* Huh? Where is this from? As far as I know, corporations breed and raise hellhounds for astral security all over the place in the Sixth World.

+Quote Post
cth
post May 6 2005, 09:22 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 2,069

(Paranormal Animals of North America @ p.82)
There are recurring reports that hell hounds show some innate resistance to fire and that they are able to breathe fire. No captive hell hounds have exhibited these abilities, but photographic records do exist of wild hell hounds burning down thickets where their prey had run to hide.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post May 6 2005, 09:34 AM
Post #7

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,014

QUOTE (cth @ May 6 2005, 04:22 AM)
(Paranormal Animals of North America @ p.82)
There are recurring reports that hell hounds show some innate resistance to fire and that they are able to breathe fire. No captive hell hounds have exhibited these abilities, but photographic records do exist of wild hell hounds burning down thickets where their prey had run to hide.

The following Shadowtalk on the next page contradicts this:
>>>>>[Trained hell hounds are the ideal guard animal.  They're dual, so you can get them to hit the spell worms coming in astrally, and they can fry the samurai coming in over the fence.  Several mercenary outfits I've worked with use them to patrol supply dumps.  One merc Captain I knew had two as personal pets and bodyguards.  They were exceptionally well-trained and totally loyal to him.  He sometimes used them as trackers.]<<<<<
-Mars (16:10:57/2-2-51)
Rest assured, by 2051, I'm sure that many corporations have not only witnessed a hellhound breathe fire, but have incorporated fire-breathing hellhounds into their security network. The entry in the Paranormal Animal guides are written from the perspective of a Paterson's "Paranormal Creatures of North America: Awakened Animals" entry, and the Paterson's Guide is described on page 6 as "neither accurate nor complete. Big Brother inserted disinformation that he wants disseminated while expunging stuff he doesn't want us to know".

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:16 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.