> Conceability of weapons, Confused about searches
Luca
post May 6 2005, 09:56 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,619

Two questions:

1) SR3 page 270. I understand that the conceability acts as target number just for perception tests to casually notice the weapon (or simply visive searches?), while if one searches (I think this means Manual search) the target number is half the conceability.
his rule seems fair....but it is contradicted by SR3 page 237 where, under the paragraph "manual detection", it is explicitely said that one has to make "a standard Perception test against the conceability of the weapon", obviously modified by modifiers of the table in page 236.
Does anyone know what target numer i have to use?
Conceability or Half-Conceability?
Page 236 seems to suggest clearly that manual searches uses the whole conceability ("standard test") + modifiers, so the real problem is page 270.
Does the difference mean casua-visual-perception (whole conceability as target) and purposive-intentional-visual-search (in this sense half conceability as target)? In any case this interpretation does not make sense to me....because it seems that teh target numer for manual search isdouble that intentional visive search.
In any case my problem is only with manual searches, I have no problem with MADS, I understand that the target in that sense must be the whole conceability.

2) How much armor/clothing improve conceability of weapons? I suppose that the dimensions and thickness of armor and/or weapons should affect the thing.
One cannot hide an assault cannon under a t-shirt...Anyone can show me the canon rules for this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post May 6 2005, 10:10 AM
Post #2

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,014

QUOTE (Luca @ May 6 2005, 04:56 AM)
2) How much armor/clothing improve conceability of weapons? I suppose that the dimensions and thickness of armor and/or weapons should affect the thing.
One cannot hide an assault cannon under a t-shirt...Anyone can show me the canon rules for this?

Lined Coats (and similar items) add 50% to the concealability of weapons/items hidden underneath them. Concealable holsters add +2 to the concealability of weapons. Page 34 of SOTA:2064 offers some interesting options in concealing items.

+Quote Post
Critias
post May 6 2005, 11:27 AM
Post #3

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

Where'd you get the rule for a methodical search cutting the Conceal in half? I think I remember a rule that provides TN modifiers based on the length/professionalism of search (IE, patting someone down compared to a casual glance), but I can't remember what book they were in... and, regardless, I'm pretty sure they were flat TN mods (-1, -2, etc), not anything based on fractions of a Conceal rating.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post May 6 2005, 11:36 AM
Post #4

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

QUOTE (Critias)
Where'd you get the rule for a methodical search cutting the Conceal in half? I think I remember a rule that provides TN modifiers based on the length/professionalism of search (IE, patting someone down compared to a casual glance), but I can't remember what book they were in... and, regardless, I'm pretty sure they were flat TN mods (-1, -2, etc), not anything based on fractions of a Conceal rating.

It's listed that way in the very first page of "Street Gear" in SR3 p270. I think it's a ruling I would conveniently ignore in the face of the NAGRL rules (which are reprinted in SR3 p 236 ).

Also, Chemsniffer and MAD (the two "other" main ways of detecting weapons) rules are presented in SOTA:2063 p99.

+Quote Post
Edward
post May 7 2005, 07:16 AM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,587

According to the rules in SR3 you use the total conceal ability of the weapon and the modifiers the table on page 236.

I however recommend a house rule as this creates the unforgivable situation where an average guard performing an average search on an average day has a lower chance of finding the weapon during a pat search than he would just watching you walk past with a clear view.

Based on my security training I will tell you that even a quick search performed by an average guard has a /far/ greater chance of finding /any/ concealed item than simple observation.

Halving consealability works for me but it is a house rule.

Edward

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:32 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.