IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NAN...Perhaps in need of a name change.
Penta
post May 9 2005, 09:33 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 500

This amuses me.

No wonder 'Native American Nations' feels so odd. It's, like, something nobody would ever use to describe themselves.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post May 9 2005, 09:38 PM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

Well, "Native American Nations" isn't unappropriate, it's just not a term they would all agree with. I know Native Americans (or American Indians!) who dislike the term "tribe", and only refer to it as their "nation."

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post May 9 2005, 09:40 PM
Post #3

Guests

I wouldn't go so far as to say, "nobody." But the problem does include the fact that there are a myriad set of terms to refer to American Indians depending on the context (like the article said, "Indian Country" is a legal term used in Federal Indian Law. Of course, so is the term, "Aboriginal Title"). First Nations is also used to describe the group as a whole.

QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
Well, "Native American Nations" isn't unappropriate, it's just not a term they would all agree with.  I know Native Americans (or American Indians!) who dislike the term "tribe", and only refer to it as their "nation."

Well, that's because while not every group self-identifies as a "tribe" it is an Indian Law term of art to refer to any homogenous indigenous political groups generally as a "Tribe." There's a distinct difference between the Navajo Nation, Sandia Pueblo, and the Mescalero Apache Tribe, but the to the BIA they are all legally classified as "tribes."

QUOTE (25 USC §2511(4) or 25 USCS § 450b(e) or 42 USC §9601(36))
Indian tribe. The term "Indian tribe" means any Indian tribe, band, nation, or other organized group or community, including an Alaska Native Village Corporation or Regional Corporation (as defined in or established pursuant to the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act [43 USCS §§ 1601 et seq.]), which is recognized as eligible for the special programs and services provided by the United States to Indians because of their status as Indians.

It's also the definition used in the current (8th) edition of Black's Law Dictionary.

+Quote Post
Fygg Nuuton
post May 9 2005, 10:13 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,989

also note, that the UCAS may call it the NAN, whereas people that live their may call it something different.

"Espana? No, now you're Spain."

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post May 9 2005, 10:16 PM
Post #5

Guests

Yeah, the probably call themselves Ute, PCC, Sioux, AMC, Athabaska, SSC, Tsimshian, and TPA...

Actually, the Treaty of Denver refers to them as the Native American Nations (SoNA, 10). However, the original group was SAIM, which was based on the American Indian Movement of the 1970s.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post May 10 2005, 06:16 AM
Post #6

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,014

And the combined government body is called the STC (Sovereign Tribal Council). Oy.

+Quote Post
Edward
post May 10 2005, 06:25 AM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

Also recall it is the native American nations, plural, each of the sperate legal countries has a name for themselves, NAN is just a collective term for the group of countries. You don’t get a NAN ambassador or a NAN citizen so who is going to complain about the name.

Edward

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post May 10 2005, 07:59 AM
Post #8

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

It sounds to me that NAN is a term that UCASers and CASers would use to describe them. Much like the US and Europse currently calls the cradle of civilization "the Middle East", but no one from the Middle East think of themselves as a collective. Or the moniker "Russian" referring to the former states of the USSR. In other words, it's cultural laziness... We Americans can't be bothered to actually remember the differences between other nations, right? :)

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post May 10 2005, 04:58 PM
Post #9

Guests

No more than how most Americans refer to themselves by their states, but foreigners don't. Of course, that's the problem with generalizations.

The "Nations" part implies the aggregate collection of the Indian nations, kind of like the Gathering of Nations.

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post May 12 2005, 04:53 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

I've never understood all the torque over a name classification. I'm not referred to as a Sicilian American. The classification of "white" works for me for what its designed to do. There are times this issue is slightly more than laughable.

+Quote Post
Solstice
post May 12 2005, 05:31 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,960

The entire concept is laughable but if they must be called something call them Indians. There is some evidence that they may not be a native as they would like us to believe.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post May 12 2005, 07:42 AM
Post #12

Guests

Well, yeah. It's not like humans originated in this hemisphere.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post May 12 2005, 05:17 PM
Post #13

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

"First Nations" and "First Nations Peoples" is the common term used by the political elite (of all colours) in Canada. "Indians" is still a slang term used. Usually it is ment in a degrogator way, but not always. Similar in many was to the current use of "nigger".

Here "natives", shortened from "Native North Americans", is likely the most common used in everyday language.

Of all of them First Nations is like the best description of them. It appears that generally their ancestors emmigrated over a period of 25,000 years ago through perhaps 6,000 thousand years ago. So they aren't a lot more "native" than a 10th generation north american who's relatives came from Europe a few hundred years back. However they certainly constituted the first "nations" built here.

EDIT: And "indian" comes from a navigational misunderstanding.

P.S. I suspect that the elite of the "natives" prefer First Nations because of the mindset it envokes. That they are not Canadians, but a separate entity. This is much more true in Canada than the US given that the relatively large percentage of Canada's population with completely "native" ancestory. It's around 5%. In the US they constitute a much, much smaller slice.

+Quote Post
Solstice
post May 12 2005, 06:41 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Naming any kind of people the "first" is just retarded. Reminds me of my local Indian tribe calls themselves "THE people" as if they are the only people on earth that matter. It's a double standard perpetrated by groups like the NAACP and ACLU. They should be called Indians or American Indians to deflect confusion over immigrants from the country of India.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 12 2005, 07:04 PM
Post #15

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

How about "Relatively Native Americans"?

~J

+Quote Post
Little Bill
post May 12 2005, 07:19 PM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 3,307

QUOTE (Penta)
No wonder 'Native American Nations' feels so odd. It's, like, something nobody would ever use to describe themselves.

The problem with "Native American" is that in the technical sense applies to anyone born in America. So I'm a Native American, even though I'm not an American Indian.

+Quote Post
Critias
post May 12 2005, 07:39 PM
Post #17

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

I like "here before the pale guys Americans." I think it flows off the tongue well. The HBTPGA Nation stands tall and proud!

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post May 12 2005, 07:45 PM
Post #18

Guests

Sounds as good as any other suggestion.

That or the always popular, let them call themselves whatever the fuck they want.

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 12 2005, 11:48 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i would be proud of my Let Them Call Themselves Whatever The Fuck They Want heritage.

+Quote Post
Fygg Nuuton
post May 13 2005, 12:51 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,989

as an american there are only mexicans, americans, canadians and "those people"

i'm going back to my swimming pool filled with 24k gold ferraris

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post May 13 2005, 03:03 AM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

This reminds me of a story my dad e-mailed to me a few months back. He was on a trip to Argentina. Someone asked him where he was from. He said, "America." To which they replied, "Yes, we're Americans too."

+Quote Post
Penta
post May 13 2005, 05:05 AM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 500

QUOTE (blakkie)
"First Nations" and "First Nations Peoples" is the common term used by the political elite (of all colours) in Canada. "Indians" is still a slang term used. Usually it is ment in a degrogator way, but not always. Similar in many was to the current use of "nigger".

So you'd die within a few minutes (or at least go through the most uncomfortable period of your life) if you call someone an Indian in Canada?

Is it actually as insta-death, socially or physically?

+Quote Post
Solstice
post May 13 2005, 05:20 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Yeah I do take issue with that also. Maybe Canada is so far to the left that they have actually convinced some people that "Indian" is a derogatory term on par with "nigger". I hardly believe that however. It's still used widely here. Slurs associated with Indians in this part of the world are much more offensive (and creative).

+Quote Post
Charon
post May 13 2005, 05:57 AM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 7,087

QUOTE (Solstice)
Yeah I do take issue with that also.

You take issue? On what ground?!

That being said, I can't talk for the english speaking canadien, but in Québec, 'Indien' is no more derogative than italian. It's just what they are.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post May 13 2005, 07:11 AM
Post #25

Guests

QUOTE (mfb)
i would be proud of my Let Them Call Themselves Whatever The Fuck They Want heritage.

You'll always be my Anglo boy.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:58 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.