Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Called shots, "Penalty skill levels"
wagnern
post May 11 2005, 07:53 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,146

Disclamer: If this is listed plainly in the rules please forgive me.

I hope to be able to have my pistol packing sam compensate for her preference to pistols by using called shots agianst hard targets (drones vehickles exc.) Now because of charictor origions, I can only have Bio, no cyber, so Smartlink II is out.

In Champions, there is something called 'Penalty Skill levels' these are skill levels that only apply to offset penalties. Some offset the range penality, some offset hit location penalties, exc.

Is there an equilivent for Shadowrun?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post May 11 2005, 08:01 PM
Post #2

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

Not really.
Though I'm intrigued how someone that can't take Cyber can call themselves a street sam. Initiative boosters and smartlink are almost installed at birth for someof these guys.

Extended Laser Sight is about as good as you'll get.

Awaken the poor slitch andmake her a pistol packing adept and you've atleast got the option of throwing 13 dice to start (with specialization) in addition to bonding with the weapon and using image magnification.

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post May 11 2005, 08:08 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,304

Does the "called shot to bypass armor" work against a vehicle?
You're still gonna be stuck with half power versus vehicle body or armor whichever is higher, and 0 damage if you don't beat it. Unless I'm missing something as well.

+Quote Post
Frater Inominatu...
post May 11 2005, 08:09 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,316

Or get some initiate to quicken increased reflexes +3 on her, along with the other appropriate boosts.

+Quote Post
wagnern
post May 11 2005, 08:20 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

If I remember the main book, a called shot on a vehickle or drone on a exposed system (wheels, rotors, intakes, exhause, camers exc) get you past the 1/2 power and scaledown damage problem of using normal rounds aganst a vehicle.

Now as far as the charictor goes, with my background I have painted myself in a bit of a corner. She is the result of a genetic expiriment (These enhancements are simulated with bioware), and she has a modified rejection flaw that won't let her have cyber. (and with all that Bioware, Magic is right out, She is an abomination of nature after all) Now she is an ok Sam, with Str and Quick 9, 8 +3D6 initative, Trama Dampiner and the oh so nice and cheesy Enhanced Articulation. She holds her own quite well with the other Sam.

I guess, I will have to just boost my pistol skill throught the roof with Karma and throw lots and lots of dice at it.

Thanks

+Quote Post
The Other DSE
post May 11 2005, 08:24 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 7,303

Actually, going by the spirit of the rules:

If the bioware just represents things that your character has had since birth, then they wouldn't frag up your essence. Loss of essence is caused by pattern damage, i.e. your pattern changes drastically.

In this case if these are "natural" abilities for the character (i.e. born with them), the abilities themselves aren't problematic to the essence of the character (at least in terms of magic use). :wobble:

Now, mind you, if I were my GM and I brought this up, I'd figure out a way to kick my own butt to the curb.

Hmm.... maybe I should cross post this to the No.... and the questions that precede it post.

+Quote Post
wagnern
post May 11 2005, 08:41 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Her essence is 6, but when using magic, you subtract your Bioindex from your magic score, which would put her at -1.4 magic or so. I really don't want magic, she is a Sam.

Now, I have been playing her with an intence intrest in magic and on a massively multiplayer matrix game she is addicted to (we jokingly call it 'World of Everquest') she plays a mage.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post May 11 2005, 08:55 PM
Post #8

Guests

If she was a Grade 2+ Adept, she could Center Against Penalties for Ranged Combat.

Other than that, no... There's nothing like that AFAIK.

+Quote Post
Slacker
post May 11 2005, 08:59 PM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 5,776

QUOTE (wagnern @ May 11 2005, 03:41 PM)
Her essence is 6, but when using magic, you subtract your Bioindex from your magic score, which would put her at -1.4 magic or so.  I really don't want magic, she is a Sam. 

Now, I have been playing her with an intence intrest in magic and on a massively multiplayer matrix game she is addicted to (we jokingly call it 'World of Everquest')  she plays a mage.

Don't you only subtract half of the Bioindex from your magic score? At least I am pretty sure that is in the rules.
I do know that the NSRCG handles it that way.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post May 11 2005, 09:30 PM
Post #10

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

Since Wagnern seems to be new to Shadowrun, he may not know about the errata page.

Here's the part about bioware and the awakened:

In game terms, bioware reduces an Awakened character's Magic rating in a way similar to Essence loss. Magic is reduced by the character's Bio Index divided by 2 (round down).

The effects of Bio Index and Essence reduction on Magic are cumulative, so the two should be combined before determining how Magic is affected. Magic has a starting value equal to the character's Essence minus (Bio Index ÷ 2), rounded down. So a starting magician with Essence 5.8 and a Bio Index of 1 begins with a Magic rating of 5 (5.8 - 0.5 = 5.3, rounded down to 5). Further increases in Bio Index (or reductions in Essence) may also affect the Magic rating whenever the total falls beneath a whole number. If the same magician later acquires more bioware, raising his Bio Index to 2, he will lose an additional point of Magic (5.8 - 1 = 4.8, rounded to 4).

Magic reduction from bioware functions like other forms of Magic loss-adepts lose some of their powers, for example. Geasa can be used to counteract magic loss from bioware and a character can still initiate to raise his Magic rating.

+Quote Post
Trax
post May 11 2005, 10:00 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,924

You can still use Smartlink by either having smartlink goggles, or more expensive but better looking, smartlink shades.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post May 12 2005, 12:37 AM
Post #12

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

You can even get those in Smartlink II variety. Although you only get a -1 to shooting TNs, you also get that nifty +2 for called shots dealie, which is really good for a guy who makes them all the time.

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post May 12 2005, 04:37 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

QUOTE (Nikoli)
Though I'm intrigued how someone that can't take Cyber can call themselves a street sam.

Ah, the shadows are a changin'. :D

I prefer a general, broader take on terms like this, myself. A street samurai, to me, is one who embodies the essence of an urban warrior within the realm of shadowrunners. Whether this means that the character in question has cyberware, bioware, or just a really sick set of unarmed, edged, and firearm weapons skills, is a bit of a moot point to me. How they regard themselves and those around them is how I would define the term. Just me though. :)

Also, wagnern, don't forget about vision magnification to assist in those hard shots. You'll probably also want to outfit all of your firearms with proper recoil compensation (in whatever form your weapons can hold) and sights (ultrasound is your friend if you lack mojo).

+Quote Post
Edward
post May 12 2005, 06:55 AM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

I think SL2 glasses will still give you the full called shot benefit while halving the SL benefit, giving you close range called shots at TN5

Also having a spell quickened on you your bio index is largely irrelevant. For example increase reflexes target number is reaction, any other increase stat spell is target stat. this probably means it wont work well for you.

The target number for healing spells will be 10-esence + bio index/2 round up. This will be 8 in your case.

Edward

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:31 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.