Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Novels Confirmed! :D
BookWyrm
post May 12 2005, 05:22 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,607

The 'official' site posts that at least six new novels are coming, published by Roc (who published the previous series) & they will be 'side-stories', meaning they take place in the SR universe, but independent of the FanPro plotlines. :D
Also, my friend Stephen Kenson (author of The Burning Time & Ragnarock novels, and the Awakenings supplement) is a confirmed author. :D
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post May 12 2005, 07:00 PM
Post #2

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

Eeeenteresting. Since I haven't read any of their work, has anyone read anything by any of the other authors?

+Quote Post
hermit
post May 12 2005, 07:48 PM
Post #3

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

Too bad you won't get translations from some of the newer German novels. The three I read so far are surprisingly good.

+Quote Post
Eldritch
post May 12 2005, 08:18 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,139

Steve Kenson's written 4 SR Novelss; Technobabel, Crossroads, Ragnarock, and The Burning Time

As well as:

Author: Awakenings: New Magic in 2057, Super Tuesday!, Portfolio of a Dragon: Dunkelzahn's Secrets, Underworld, Mob War!, New Seattle, Magic in the Shadows, Survival of the Fittest

Contributor: The Grimoire (Second Edition), Harlequin's Back, Threats, Shadows of the Underworld, The Shadowrun Companion: Beyond the Shadows, Target: UCAS, Target: Smuggler Havens, Shadowrun (Third Edition), Critters, Corporate Download, Brainscan, Target: Matrix, Year of the Comet. Target: Awakened Lands, Threats 2, Shadows of North America, Target: Wastelands, Dragons of the Sixth World, Shadows of Europe.

Odds are you've seen something by him. :)

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post May 12 2005, 08:24 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,304

Excellent. I love SR fiction. Looks like my collection will get a little bigger.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post May 12 2005, 08:43 PM
Post #6

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

Sorry, when I said other I meant the authors that BookWyrm hadn't mentioned - Stephen Dedman, Jason Hardy and Jean Rabe.

+Quote Post
Pistons
post May 12 2005, 08:48 PM
Post #7

Not Cameron Diaz

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 188

FlakJacket: Jason Hardy wrote a piece of short fiction for the website, called Unmaking the Man. He's also written some fiction for Crimson Skies. Jean Rabe is better known for her novels for Wizards of the Coast; here is her site. Stephen Dedman sounds familiar, but I can't place the name -- however, I did find at least a partial bibliography that lists his work.

+Quote Post
Mortax
post May 12 2005, 08:50 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,950

JOY! More novels! (jumps up and does happy dance.)
Any word on when they come out?

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post May 12 2005, 10:34 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

I liked that one novel that had vampires, lesbians, and lesbian vampires. And there was a troll with a vindicator minigun. And they also had a van, and the vampires had cyberwear!

Yeah, that was my fave.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post May 12 2005, 10:41 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
I liked that one novel that had vampires, lesbians, and lesbian vampires. And there was a troll with a vindicator minigun. And they also had a van, and the vampires had cyberwear!

Yeah, that was my fave.

Aaaaah.... somebody shoot me (or him) please! :P

+Quote Post
Critias
post May 12 2005, 10:45 PM
Post #11

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

Don't forget the strippers.

+Quote Post
hermit
post May 12 2005, 11:36 PM
Post #12

The King In Yellow

Yeah, that was my fave.

I DO hope that was ironic. :|

Lesbian troll vampires with cyberwear and a vindicator minigun riding a van ... :P

Somene send that after the author of that book! :D Not the strippers though. We can keep those in reserve, in case some of the new books turn out to be .... interesting.

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 12 2005, 11:47 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

no. not ironic. horrible truth.

the book itself wasn't bad; the writing was alright. but it didn't really have much to do with shadowrun.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post May 13 2005, 12:49 AM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Wounded Ronin: Mixing up two books there, I think. Don't forget the teenage sex-trip that was Nadja Daviar meeting up with Ryan Mercury, or the confusing affections of Romulus for Mysterious Elf Lady and Loyal Friend's Dog alike.

Ooh! Ooh! I know! Let's bring back the fifty-year-old elf with the sagging breasts whose daughter's half-sister was an ork *you thought your family had problems*

+Quote Post
toturi
post May 13 2005, 12:50 AM
Post #15

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Terminus Experiment might not have a lot to do with shadowrunning, but it had much to do with Shadowrun.

+Quote Post
Penta
post May 13 2005, 05:00 AM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 500

Are you sure?

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post May 13 2005, 07:10 AM
Post #17

Guests

QUOTE (Ancient History)
Wounded Ronin: Mixing up two books there, I think. Don't forget the teenage sex-trip that was Nadja Daviar meeting up with Ryan Mercury...

Hey!

Some of us like large brown nipples.

+Quote Post
EVLTIM
post May 13 2005, 08:56 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,660

WOOT !!!!!! YES YES YES!!!!!1

:grinbig:

+Quote Post
hermit
post May 13 2005, 10:57 AM
Post #19

The King In Yellow

Terminus Experiment might not have a lot to do with shadowrunning, but it had much to do with Shadowrun.

Not really. At least I personally loathe the Supers feel of the late American novels - starting about with Dragonheart, though it had been there right from the beginning (Twist, I'm looking at you!). A matter of taste really, but as far as I am concerned, this isn't Shadowrun, this is Champions with elves and orcs.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post May 13 2005, 10:59 AM
Post #20

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Hey!

[nerd]

you mean... in reality?

[/nerd]

:D

+Quote Post
PenAgain
post May 13 2005, 11:14 AM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 3,684

It really pleases me to see more Kenson novel work. I adored Crossroads. I like his other books, but the first person in Crossroads really worked for me (despite the fact that I am usually ra-ra Third person.)

Do we know if this Trilogy from Steve will be the same trilogy he was writing (wrote?) for SRD, or if it is new material?

And I confess to a bit of nervousness in regard to "outside of the FanPro SR Plotlines." Does this mean the books are out-of-continuity for the game universe? I'm less keen about that.

--PenAgain

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post May 13 2005, 07:31 PM
Post #22

Guests

QUOTE (Grinder @ May 13 2005, 04:59 AM)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ May 13 2005, 08:10 AM)
Hey!

[nerd]

you mean... in reality?

[/nerd]

:D

I was specifically referring to the line(s) in Stranger Souls (the entire DHS), although for some reason it was a fun reference amongst a couple of users on SL (including one who later went on to write for SR) that was screwed up by joking about dark brown nipples for a long time.

DBN actually has its own cache on SL that means more than the correct wording. It's like the line in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance that is quoted in POAD:DS (although why in there I don't fully know. I never gave it a lot of thought): "When legend becomes fact, print the legend."

+Quote Post
Grinder
post May 13 2005, 08:11 PM
Post #23

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Member No.: 5,698

Ahhhh....yeeessss... ;)

+Quote Post
Penta
post May 13 2005, 11:36 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 500

QUOTE (PenAgain)
And I confess to a bit of nervousness in regard to "outside of the FanPro SR Plotlines." Does this mean the books are out-of-continuity for the game universe? I'm less keen about that.

I think what it means is that the novels won't be canon, meaning they won't have an effect on the storyline like the previous novels did (and, more infamously, like the Battletech novels did*).

---
*This deserves an explanation. Battletech novels have, AIUI, always been canon, meaning they've always had an effect upon (and advanced) the storyline. (That was certainly true with regards to the classic BT novels.) This could make things very annoying if you couldn't get the novels, as the sourcebooks would rapidly stop making sense.

SR was similar, but the novels didn't hold quite so much of the storyline, and certainly didn't hold essential pieces like the BT novels did.

+Quote Post
hermit
post May 14 2005, 12:11 AM
Post #25

The King In Yellow

Crimsondude: Could you please explain what SL, DHS and DBN are?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:15 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.