Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spell concept for guns, Opinions?
Kyuhan
post May 16 2005, 09:44 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,628

What do y'all think of a custom spell that creates a telekinetic tunnel from the barrel of a gun to a target, max distance is ForcexMagic meters. I haven't really thought about the actual numbers for improving aim, I just wanted some feedback.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dissonance
post May 16 2005, 01:15 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,992

There's already a spell that does that, but it's a little bit weird in the fact that since it's Illusion (I think), the person you're shooting at can resist.

Which makes it kind of less-than-useful.

+Quote Post
Critias
post May 16 2005, 01:46 PM
Post #3

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

It's a Detection, not Illusion.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post May 16 2005, 01:50 PM
Post #4

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

Detection, actually, and yes it's only really good when you can cast at a high enough Force that it isn't resisted, as the casting TN is a static 6.

[Edit] Cuuuurses...

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 16 2005, 04:26 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

creating a telekinetic tunnel from the gun to the target seems like an incredibly bad idea. for one, you'd be constantly whacking it into objects between yourself and the target, probably knocking the gun out of your hands. for another, it'd cost way too much energy--cheaper to just powerbolt the sucker yourself.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post May 16 2005, 04:44 PM
Post #6

Decker on the Threshold

Or just make the tunnel a *little* longer, stick it in their chest, and drain their blood by remote.

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 16 2005, 06:21 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

"okay, i cast Straw at force 4."

heh. the area effect version could be Crazy Straw, with all the loops and whirlies and whatnot.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post May 16 2005, 09:53 PM
Post #8

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Finally, a reasonable way to replicate the Blood Gout and Blood Shower spells from Legacy of Kain.

Telekenetic gun barrel is a bad idea because the target can just stick his finger in it like Bugs Bunny.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post May 17 2005, 05:02 AM
Post #9

Decker on the Threshold

QUOTE (mfb @ May 16 2005, 10:21 AM)
"okay, i cast Straw at force 4."

heh. the area effect version could be Crazy Straw, with all the loops and whirlies and whatnot.

Hey, that could be an interesting idea:

Straw
Type: P Target: 6® Dur: S Range: LOS Drain: +1(M)
"Living" Straw
Type: P Target: 6® Dur: S Range: LOS Drain: +1(S)

This spell, a specialized form of the Barrier line of spells, creates a thin tube (<1cm in diameter), of maximum length equal to (Force x2) meters. The tube is flexible, and controllable by the caster, but fragile to physical stress: its Barrier rating is half the spell's Force, round down.
The most common application for the spell--the one it was designed for--is for moving liquids and small solid objects around. The original spell was first designed by a junior high student so he could fire spitwads and not have it traced back to him, and requires an outside force to propel things through the Straw. The "Living" version includes a telekinetic "pump" of sorts, and is sometimes used for cleaning small-scale hazardous chemical spills and the like.
A more recent application is its use as a weapon. If the straw is materialized inside a person, it can very quickly drain the target's blood, causing grave physical injury. In practice, a Straw or Living Straw that is not resisted by the target must resiste 12L damage, unmodified by armor of any kind but lowering the TN by 2 if the victim has Platelet factories, for every full Combat Turn the Straw is drainning their blood. Naturally this is a very messy way to kill someone; GMs are encourages to watch the first Kill Bill for reference. :D

+Quote Post
TheBovrilMonkey
post May 17 2005, 01:50 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 1,927

Telekenetic gun barrel is a bad idea because the target can just stick his finger in it like Bugs Bunny.

Well, he can, but then the bullet's going to come smashing into his finger. That'd be quite painful I'd imagine.

Unless he has a bullet barrier cast onto his fingertip ;)

+Quote Post
weblife
post May 17 2005, 02:01 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,318

I have yet to see a single spell, that forces its target to resist a Power greater than its Force. (With the one exception of Elemental Manipultaion spells staged up to Deadly and then ups Power.)

Telekinetic powers in SR tend to do Stun damage, or if a weapon is propelled, use spell Force as the STR of the wielder of the thrown weapon.

I don't think a telekinetic "spike" that deals physical damage is out of scope. No sustained damage spells though.. never seen one in SR.

Spike
Splinterstorm (AE version)
Same stats as the other Elemental Manipultaion spells that deals physical.
Secondary effect must be similar to Blast.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post May 17 2005, 03:28 PM
Post #12

Decker on the Threshold

Well I could have just said that you just take a Light wound instead of allowing the extra damage resistance test (note that the spell itself is resisted as well) but I figured this was an even better idea. That last part doesn't even need to be there; the rest of the uses are fun enough for such a spell to exist.

I don't like the idea of spells duplicating effects that are already available in other schools though. I especially don't like making more Manipulations that duplicate other spells, one reason I think that elemental manips should be thrown into Combat instead of leaving them as Manips.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post May 17 2005, 05:40 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

I think there is some confusion between TK and a force field. I don't think TK could make a "tunnel", that is what force fields do. Just take a Barrier spell and wrap it into a tube.

TK manipulates the target object by applying force or motion itself to the object. TK could guide a bullet by moving the bullet. There would be no "tunnel" connecting the target and the gun.

Force fields manipulate a target by applying a field (solid, semi-solid, or other) to an object and then moving the force field.

The difference is subtle and mostly irrelevent, but think of how Jean Grey's TK works vs. Sue Storm's Powers.

If you think of the difference as this:
Using TK is like driving a car. The mechanism controlling direction is within by way of a steering wheel.
Using a force field is like a train. The mechanism controlling direction is without by way of tracks.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post May 17 2005, 06:46 PM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

So, is the 'tunnel' being used so that wind will not be a factor in your long range sniper shot? Because that would be interesting. The only thing left would be how distance the drop will drop due to the distance.

I guess a variation would be putting a barrier along one side like a wind shield for the bullet so that it can travel towards the target and you don't have to adjust for wind... But I have no experience with rifles so I'll just sit in the corner over here and watch the people who know what they're talking about hash this all out... :smokin:

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 17 2005, 06:57 PM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

hah, here's a cool spell idea: Kentucky Windage. a TK manip spell that creates a tube of still air parallel to the barrel of any weapon the spell is cast on. the tube would be 100m in length per success, max successes = force.

net effect: -1 TN at long range, -2 TN at extreme range.

no part of this spell was stolen from Deadlands.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post May 18 2005, 05:09 PM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

Oh? You play Deadlands also? :-)

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post May 18 2005, 05:53 PM
Post #17

Decker on the Threshold

Man, I wish I could find a group around here to play Classic Deadlands with. I had one online group, but the game fell through before it ever began (story of my life :() I had such a beautiful card pull for that one too; the attributes were good enough I managed to throw together a decent metal mage (Huckster + Mad Scientist). I've been itching to play that gal ever since. :P

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 18 2005, 06:31 PM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

Deadlands would be difficult to play online, due to the incredibly awesome initiative system. i've GM'd Deadlands twice, never played it. i've got quite a few of the books, though, and a number of the d20 books.

+Quote Post
Sahandrian
post May 18 2005, 07:21 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,880

QUOTE (weblife)
I don't think a telekinetic "spike" that deals physical damage is out of scope. No sustained damage spells though.. never seen one in SR.

I once altered the spell "Clout" to deal physical damage and called it a "force knife" or something. I forget the exact name, but it came out of a Fantastic Four comic. Nobody ever took it anyway, aside from the one mage I made it for.

I wrote up a set of sustained elemental manipulations once, too. Again nobody ever used them. And now I don't even remember the statistics for them.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post May 18 2005, 08:25 PM
Post #20

Decker on the Threshold

QUOTE (mfb)
Deadlands would be difficult to play online, due to the incredibly awesome initiative system. i've GM'd Deadlands twice, never played it. i've got quite a few of the books, though, and a number of the d20 books.

So true. I've been working on a good IRC dicebot on and off--mostly off, really :)--for months. The interface is still a bit clunky, but I definately got to the point of being able to draw, play, and hold (sleeve) cards, even define personal decks for things like hucksters and mad scientists. One of these days I'll get around to finishing it, I swear. :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:55 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.