IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1D20 vs. 3D6: which simulates reality better?, A layman's analysis of the probability.
Umbrage
post May 23 2005, 04:22 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,354

Disclaimer: I'm not a statistician by any stretch of the imagination, I've just got too much time on my hands this particular Sunday evening. ;-)

I got to wondering why SR uses D6's while other systems use D20's. Thinking about it, I realized that a D20 has a linear probability curve. If plotted on a graph, it's a straight, downward slope. This means, for example, that hitting a target number of 6 (or more) on a D20 is 5% less likely than hitting a 5 (or less). In fact, no matter which target number you need to hit, it's always 5% harder or easier than the next TN.

This didn't seem very realistic to me. It would make more sense if the amount of effort between a "very easy" task and a "easy" task was greater than the effort between an "hard" task and a "very hard" task (e.g., a logarithmic curve for those of you playing along at home).

However, a true logarithmic curve wouldn't be entirely accurate either. There ought be be a "sweet spot" in the middle. This would mean that most attempts at using a skill should be somewhere in the middle. Meaning, it should be more likely that a runner perform a skill "ok" versus "horrible" or "spectacular".

Anyhow... I plotted the probability curves of both a 1D20 and 3D6. The graph in question should make my point bit more clear. According to the definations that I layed out above, the 3D6 is a better representation of reality.

Between 1 and 4, the slope is very steep. This means that things rapidly get more difficult to accomplish, at first. The "sweet spot" occurs between 5 and 10. Between those ranges, the slope is almost the same as a D20. This would mean that as you enter the average zone, things don't so much harder so quickly. Finally, beyond TN 10 things start to level off a bit. It's kinda like saying "TN16, TN17... what's the difference? They're both pretty unlikely".

Anyhow... hope that helps. And if anyone who's better at math than me (not hard to do) sees a glaring mistake in my analysis, please let me know. ;-)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Modesitt
post May 23 2005, 05:12 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,963

Short answer - d6's are platonic solids. They're also very, very common and easy to get ahold of.

Long answer -
There are basically two approaches to making numbers in RPGs that work.

1. Static number of dice, dynamic target. This is what the d20 is. It's the exact same die(or number of dice) every time, just what you want to roll changes every time. d20 is preferred for me because it's very easy to just look at targets and say "Huh. I only have a 25% change of succeeding." This idea is also used in Feng Shui RPG(You always roll 2d6 for task resolution - Sorta. It actually adds up to nothing) and some others.

2. Dynamic number of dice, static target. This is what White Wolf uses now and SR4 uses now. I don't prefer it, but it works.

There's a reason White Wolf changed, there's a reason SR4 is changing and that's because dynamic numbers of dice and dynamic targets blows. SR does some marvelous things with it, but every single one of them would be better if it wasn't just a testament to the designers creativity and actually had a good system behind it.

Fortunately, you propose a static number of dice system with shifting targets, so you're on the right track.

----
Here's the real reason I hate the d6 system SR uses WITH A PASSION.

You CANNOT 'tweak' the probabilities. With a d20, you can be pretty liberal with bonuses and penalties and not worry about throwing off the odds. But when you're dealing with a d6, you can't throw around TN modifiers for everything. Every +1 TN is a pretty big deal. So even if you wanted to, you can't implement the little details.
----

Yes, that had to do with your analysis. The reason d20 is superior to 3d6 has nothing to do with realism and everything to do with the realities of gaming. It's better for a game designer because you can stack a bunch of penalties on people and know every single time you give someone +1 to their DC, you know exactly how much an effect this has on them. You know there is now a 5% lower probability they will succeed.

With your 3d6 approach, you have absolutely no way of knowing what this particular +1 TN will do to their probability. Maybe their original TN was 4 and now it's just 5. Or maybe their orignial TN was 17. You don't know. Balance is a lot harder to achieve when you have no idea what all of your numbers add up to.

So even if I agreed with you on what was 'realistic'(And I don't, I absolutely reject the entire idea), I would still say the d20 was superior to the 3d6.

Edit: Hoping no one replies before I remove something.

+Quote Post
Umbrage
post May 23 2005, 05:47 AM
Post #3

Target

QUOTE (Modesitt)
Short answer - d6's are platonic solids.  They're also very, very common and easy to get ahold of.

All common dice (D4, D6, D8, D12, and D20's) are platonic solids. In fact, that's why those shapes are used as dice: they're weighted fairly. I don't understand what bearing that has on choosing one over the other?

And yeah D6's common, but D&D's been around and using a variety of dice longer than SR has existed. Any shop that has the SR game system for sale almost certainly has scores of different types of dice, so I wouldn't say that non-D6's are any less available that the SR books themselves.

I will agree with you on the loss of granularity when GMing though. It's not a +/-5% to a TN that you can quickly calcuate in your head. However, I think most experienced GMs intuitively know what effects tweaking a certain TN causes. They've witnessed thousands and thousands of rolls and are generally only dealing with a small range of TNs.

+Quote Post
Dippy
post May 23 2005, 01:01 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 7,286

Well although I've only been GM'ing SR for a few months I've been a GM for about 20 years and have run many different systems in that time. My conclusion is that none of them emulate reality at all. There are just too many permutations to events that you are trying to emulate to expect any dice rolling system to work very well. The best you could do is to vary the systems in the same game, because some systems are better for some situations than others. However neither game designers, GMs nor players want such complication.

However don't forget that RPGs are not emulating reality anyway, they are emulating a dream for the purposes of giving enjoyment. And of course everyone has different needs from the game. I am aware that many people enjoy rules and detail, whereas others (such as myself) are more into the role-playing (i.e. improvised acting), and intellectual challenges.

Having played AD&D for years, I have kept with it because of its simplicity. Yes it is easy to deal with 5% probability steps, but I only ever used them as a guide anyway. This is why I have not adopted 3rd Edition so-called d20 rules. I find that there is often too much variation on a d20 roll for every circumstance.

I am still learning SR. At first I was a little worried about the system, but having used it now for a few months I quite like it. Certainly it is more difficult to judge the impact of increasing a TN by 1 in every situation, but of course the great power of the system is that a test is not just pass or fail, it has degrees of pass.

What I have been doing is avoiding setting TNs too high by risking setting them too low instead. Then I can vary the results of the test by setting a threshold, even after the dice have been rolled. Some may suggest this is cheating, but those would be rule-players. I know how to make a game enjoyable for my players, and quite often that means I prefer to decide if a PC succeeds or not. The trouble is many players expect a dice roll so sometimes you need to provide one, but steer the result the way you want.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post May 23 2005, 01:19 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

What is up with that 3d6 curve? Why the strange dips? I'm pretty sure (from playing GURPS for a while, if nothing else) that it's not supposed to look like that.

+Quote Post
Aku
post May 23 2005, 01:52 PM
Post #6

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

What does everyone think adding fractions would do for modifiers? instead of having any given situation add +-1 or 2, make "smaller" situations, where indvidually they help (so any fraction gets rounded down) but if chained together, you can get some nice modifiers? I was thinking maybe .5 or .25 points...

+Quote Post
toturi
post May 23 2005, 02:12 PM
Post #7

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Umbrage)
And yeah D6's common, but D&D's been around and using a variety of dice longer than SR has existed.

D6es have been around longer than D-anything else. Monopoly, Yahtzee, Risk all use D6es.

+Quote Post
Umbrage
post May 23 2005, 03:56 PM
Post #8

Target

QUOTE (mmu1 @ May 23 2005, 08:19 AM)
What is up with that 3d6 curve? Why the strange dips? I'm pretty sure (from playing GURPS for a while, if nothing else) that it's not supposed to look like that.

I don't know the GURPS dice mechanics, so I can't really compare the two. Are the dice additive, if so, that might explain a different curve? Remember that in SR, each die is independent of each other (discreet). I'm guessing it's the "rule of six" that causes the stepped curve I graphed.

Modesitt, just to clarify (now that I've gotten some sleep): I wasn't arguing that FASA likely ran probabilities when choosing the D6 mechanic over a D20. The easy answer, like you said, is that they are more common. I just found it pretty cool that when I graphed the numbers, the resulting curve better matched what I, personally, considered more realistic. It could be argued that I'm just seeing things. ;-) Sorry for any confusion.

Dippy makes a good point to. I can tell the difference between an experienced GM and a more green one by watching how he handles rolls. Newer GMs are typically more "by the book" and treat rolls as gospel. Those who are more comfortable with the system generally use rolls more to shape their campaigns.

Just my two cents.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post May 23 2005, 05:06 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

The curve is probably weird because it's made with a dumb program. Since it's apparently just 3d6 totaled vs. a TN of 3-18, it should be a "smooth" curve without any dips. Plot away on Excel:
CODE
TN         P(3d6=TN)          P(3d6>=TN)
3          1/216 (0.463%)     1 (100%)
4          3/216 (1.389%)     215/216 (99.537%)
5          6/216 (2.778%)     212/216 (98.148%)
6          10/216 (4.630%)    206/216 (95.370%)
7          15/216 (6.944%)    196/216 (90.741%)
8          21/216 (9.722%)    181/216 (83.796%)
9          25/216 (11.574%)   160/216 (74.074%)
10         27/216 (12.5%)     135/216 (62.5%)
11         27/216 (12.5%)     108/216 (50%)
12         25/216 (11.574%)   81/216 (37.5%)
13         21/216 (9.722%)    56/216 (25.926%)
14         15/216 (6.944%)    35/216 (16.204%)
15         10/216 (4.630%)    20/216 (9.259%)
16         6/216 (2.778%)     10/216 (4.630%)
17         3/216 (1.389%)     4/216 (1.852%)
18         1/216 (0.463%)     1/216 (0.463%)

If you wanted a Shadowrun-D6 probability distribution, it'd look stepped at intervals of 6 (6-7, 12-13, 18-19, etc.), but there'd be no "dips", just plateaus. And you'd need a 3D-graph anyway, to represent variable amount of dice vs. TNs and their probabilities.

This post has been edited by Austere Emancipator: May 23 2005, 05:12 PM

+Quote Post
mmu1
post May 23 2005, 05:19 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

QUOTE (Umbrage @ May 23 2005, 10:56 AM)
I don't know the GURPS dice mechanics, so I can't really compare the two. Are the dice additive, if so, that might explain a different curve? Remember that in SR, each die is independent of each other (discreet). I'm guessing it's the "rule of six" that causes the stepped curve I graphed.

So it's not really 1d20 vs. 3d6 then... (which is what your initial post makes it seem like) It's actually 1d20 vs. 1d6 rolled three times, with 6's exploding? But like AE said, if that's supposed to be the case, there should be no "dips", just plateaus, and they'd be at the TNs of 6 and 7 and 12 and 13, not around 4 and 10.

+Quote Post
Umbrage
post May 23 2005, 05:28 PM
Post #11

Target

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ May 23 2005, 12:06 PM)
The curve is probably weird because it's made with a dumb program. Since it's apparently just 3d6 totaled vs. a TN of 3-18, it should be a "smooth" curve without any dips.

Dumb program? I wrote it specifically for the purpose of calculating the odds of SR dice rolls. :D

The error in your method is that you're summing the values of the dice. SR doesn't do that when rolling. In your first line, you state a 100% probability of succeeding against a TN 3 with 3D6. That isn't true because we don't add the value of the dice together. I could theoretically roll 3D6 against a TN 3 and fail by rolling any combination of just ones and twos. In fact, there is a 3.7% chance that I would do just that.

+Quote Post
Umbrage
post May 23 2005, 06:00 PM
Post #12

Target

QUOTE (mmu1 @ May 23 2005, 12:19 PM)
So it's not really 1d20 vs. 3d6 then... (which is what your initial post makes it seem like) It's actually 1d20 vs. 1d6 rolled three times, with 6's exploding? But like AE said, if that's supposed to be the case, there should be no "dips", just plateaus, and they'd be at the TNs of 6 and 7 and 12 and 13, not around 4 and 10.

:embarassed:
Yeah, I was screwing up the terminology in my sleepy stupor... "3d6" would imply that you sum the dice together (which isn't done in SR). Thanks for pointing it out.

+Quote Post
Modesitt
post May 23 2005, 08:37 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

All common dice (D4, D6, D8, D12, and D20's) are platonic solids. In fact, that's why those shapes are used as dice: they're weighted fairly. I don't understand what bearing that has on choosing one over the other?

It wasn't very closely related to his question, just a general observation on one of the reasons d6's are used.

Unfortunately, some major RPG companies for reasons I cannot begin to fathom use d10's for their game systems. White Wolf, AEG, I'm looking at you.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 23 2005, 08:56 PM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

The more sides a die has, the less granular the system. D10s offer more opportunity for fine tuning and details than D6s. That's all.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post May 23 2005, 09:07 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (Umbrage)
I wrote it specifically for the purpose of calculating the odds of SR dice rolls. :D

Well, it's obviously not doing it's job then. ;)

Looking at your graph again, yeah, it's definitely not showing probability of success of 3d6 vs some TN. But, like many have mentioned, it's definitely not showing a SR-type probability of 3 dice against variable TNs either. The general shape of the "3d6" graph from 1 to 4 is about right, but other than that it's messed up.

Two threads for the statistically inclined.

This post has been edited by Austere Emancipator: May 23 2005, 09:11 PM

+Quote Post
Fester
post May 23 2005, 09:55 PM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 7,098

I checked yesterday and was able to buy some non-6 siders without a SIN in about 15 minutes with my short list of contacts and Incompetence:Ettiquette flaw.

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post May 24 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 6,543

QUOTE (Modesitt)
Short answer - d6's are platonic solids. They're also very, very common and easy to get ahold of.

Long answer -
There are basically two approaches to making numbers in RPGs that work.

1. Static number of dice, dynamic target. This is what the d20 is. It's the exact same die(or number of dice) every time, just what you want to roll changes every time. d20 is preferred for me because it's very easy to just look at targets and say "Huh. I only have a 25% change of succeeding." This idea is also used in Feng Shui RPG(You always roll 2d6 for task resolution - Sorta. It actually adds up to nothing) and some others.

2. Dynamic number of dice, static target. This is what White Wolf uses now and SR4 uses now. I don't prefer it, but it works.

There's a reason White Wolf changed, there's a reason SR4 is changing and that's because dynamic numbers of dice and dynamic targets blows. SR does some marvelous things with it, but every single one of them would be better if it wasn't just a testament to the designers creativity and actually had a good system behind it.

Fortunately, you propose a static number of dice system with shifting targets, so you're on the right track.

----
Here's the real reason I hate the d6 system SR uses WITH A PASSION.

You CANNOT 'tweak' the probabilities. With a d20, you can be pretty liberal with bonuses and penalties and not worry about throwing off the odds. But when you're dealing with a d6, you can't throw around TN modifiers for everything. Every +1 TN is a pretty big deal. So even if you wanted to, you can't implement the little details.
----

Yes, that had to do with your analysis. The reason d20 is superior to 3d6 has nothing to do with realism and everything to do with the realities of gaming. It's better for a game designer because you can stack a bunch of penalties on people and know every single time you give someone +1 to their DC, you know exactly how much an effect this has on them. You know there is now a 5% lower probability they will succeed.

With your 3d6 approach, you have absolutely no way of knowing what this particular +1 TN will do to their probability. Maybe their original TN was 4 and now it's just 5. Or maybe their orignial TN was 17. You don't know. Balance is a lot harder to achieve when you have no idea what all of your numbers add up to.

So even if I agreed with you on what was 'realistic'(And I don't, I absolutely reject the entire idea), I would still say the d20 was superior to the 3d6.

Edit: Hoping no one replies before I remove something.

Well, you have your views, and they may suit well with you but they are not the only views.

One a D20, even more so in say D20 is most limiting than shadowrun. Yes it is easier to count and do math but here are a few of the flaws.

One, you can't make something that is hard for evryone. If You can do it at level one you can do with ease at latter levels.

If you can do at all at latter levels but is hard, you can't do it at early levels.

+1 or +41 witch many characters can achieve and reach makes the world a place wehre there are somethings that imposable for some and easy for others.

Shadowrun had the idea that it is hard to do many things, but some people can do them better.

Rolling 2 dice to shot blindly can work. Rolling 16 dice makes it easier. But you are not always going to get it.

Another flaw is that in when rolling a die and adding you skill to something, you have large areas of the scale that makes the number you add to the dice pointless or the die pointless. if I have +1, with a TN of 15,I will only change the chance of the die beating the TN by 5%...If I have +41,I don't even have to bother rolling the die for anything less than 43....Hell my skill is over 200% value of the die. It always will be.

+Quote Post
Umbrage
post May 25 2005, 03:08 AM
Post #18

Target

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Umbrage)
I wrote it specifically for the purpose of calculating the odds of SR dice rolls. :D

Well, it's obviously not doing it's job then. ;)

Looking at your graph again, yeah, it's definitely not showing probability of success of 3d6 vs some TN. But, like many have mentioned, it's definitely not showing a SR-type probability of 3 dice against variable TNs either. The general shape of the "3d6" graph from 1 to 4 is about right, but other than that it's messed up.

Two threads for the statistically inclined.

If someone wants to check out the app I wrote to calcuate SR dice roll odds, it's located here. I'm a computer geek, not a math guru, but I have a friend who is a math guru and I translated his logic into this web app.

I'm pretty confident that it's accurate, but I could be wrong. If that's the case, I'd definately want to get it fixed. What in particular is screwy about the results it's producing? What should the graph look like?

+Quote Post
Modesitt
post May 25 2005, 03:17 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

One a D20, even more so in say D20 is most limiting than shadowrun. Yes it is easier to count and do math but here are a few of the flaws.

d20 system != Twenty sided die.

You completely missed the entire point of my post. I didn't say a word about the d20 system, simply the twenty sided die. I'm going to respond to the rest of it anyways.

None of those things you cite are flaws.

1. ...How is the criticism "Some things are hard or impossible at the low levels that are easy at the high levels" a criticism of the d20 system? The same 'criticism' could be applied just as well to SR! It simply isn't as obvious. Someone with Pistols 2 packing an ares predator simply can't kill someone in one shot with it without spending karma for bonus dice. Someone with a skill of 6 can do that. If your magic isn't 6 or higher, you can't summon Force 12 spirit no matter how lucky you are. If you don't have a cumulative Cha+Will+Int of 19 or higher, your spirits can't go beyond 180 feet without losing the rest of their services.

I have absolutely no problem with things being impossible for chars with little experience that highly experienced chars can do and neither should you. It doesn't matter how 'lucky' you are, you aren't going to do some things.

2. The fact that you don't need to roll for some things because you're so awesome simply helps speed up game play. It's totally OK in my mind for experienced chars to do some things without any chance of failure. I view it as a relatively minor failing of the Shadowrun system that even the worlds best might fuck up the easiest test ever.

It doesn't matter how many times you add 2 and 2, there shouldn't be a chance you accidentally slip and say "5".

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 25 2005, 03:21 AM
Post #20

Runner

QUOTE (Modesitt)
I have absolutely no problem with things being impossible for chars with little experience that highly experienced chars can do and neither should you. It doesn't matter how 'lucky' you are, you aren't going to do some things.

Well, I'm sure glad you live in a safe world where no six year old can ever shoot someone in the head because he didn't know how to properly handle a gun.

And I'd like to point out that in d20, no matter how great you are, 5% of the time, you're just as bad as everyone else.

And, uh, I have to say: I and other people I know— very good at math all— have screwed up some fantastically simple math for various reasons. It happens in everything, no matter how good you are. Shadowrun may not model it well, and d20 may model it even worse, but the phenomenon is very real.

+Quote Post
Umbrage
post May 25 2005, 03:40 AM
Post #21

Target

QUOTE (Arethusa)
QUOTE (Modesitt)

Well, I'm sure glad you live in a safe world where no six year old can ever shoot someone in the head because he didn't know how to properly handle a gun.

I don't know if that's a fair analogy. Combat rolls in SR are made by players who are intentionally trying to shoot someone while the adrenaline is raging. The likelihood of a six year-old being successful in that situation is pretty much nil. Likewise, if I were a GM, I wouldn't make a PC roll a standard Firearms test for executing someone point blank in the back of the head. I'd probably just have them roll against TN 2, just to allow for a possible misfire.

On the topic of realism... Being a game designer has got to be one of the most thankless jobs around. Half your customers want to design a character who looks like Brad Pitt, moves like Jet Lee, shoots like Rambo, and is smart as Steven Hawking. The other half will devote hours to debating on dumpshock about how realistic the blind fire modifer is. You can't win either way. The GM should be permitted the lattitude to shape the game to fit his particular audience.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 25 2005, 04:02 AM
Post #22

Runner

And, amazingly, that's exactly what a good GM brings to the table, considering he is basically the director of the game, if you'll pardon the analogy.

And being a game designer isn't quite so thankless when you're good at it. The people that punched out SR3 weren't.

+Quote Post
Modesitt
post May 25 2005, 04:15 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

RPGs simply can't model every flukey aspect of life. At some point you just put your foot down and say "Anything less common than this isn't to be modeled by the system". The 'Six year old playing a gun, accidentally pointing it at someone and killing them' really can't be modeled in game. It's POSSIBLE, but it doesn't happen often enough to merit the rules trying to cover it.

Now, that is certainly an interesting thing to add to a run. I think some runners would hesitate before gunning down a six year old, even if he did just default to dex and take a potshot at them.

And I'd like to point out that in d20, no matter how great you are, 5% of the time, you're just as bad as everyone else

Not true. Skill checks do not autofail on 1's. Saving throws and attack tests do fail on 1s.

I and other people I know— very good at math all— have screwed up some fantastically simple math for various reasons.

...Yeah. That was really a bad example on my part.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 25 2005, 04:31 AM
Post #24

Runner

There's obviously no getting around the simple fact that in designing an abstract representation of real life phenomena for a game, you're going to end up with a poor simulation of reality no matter how hard you try. Things will get left out, or at least be poorly simulated. (This sounds like it's heading for Bazin Artifice theory, but it only sort of is, so bear with me.)

However, I have to disagree with you; where this happens and to what degree— and, more importantly, how— is the game designer's responsibility. The six year old playing with a gun and getting a lucky hit is a small part of a larger dynamic: in this case, specifiaclly, unpredictability. As it stands now, I can be damn sure that if someone doesn't know how to use a weapon properly, he can't possibly get lucky and take me down. IN reality, anyone with a gun is a potential liability, and leaving out a dynamic of unpredictability— among many other things— dramatically alterns (and dulls) the gaming experience.

There's no arguing that abstraction is a necessary element in tabletop gaming. The difference is that well directed and designed abstraction shapes a game and the experience of it; poorly handled, clumsy abstraction deadens it.

+Quote Post
CoalHeart
post May 25 2005, 06:28 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,757

To tell the absolute honest truth when I very first read Shadowrun's dice rule system I thought it was addition and division, and a little subtraction.

Eg.
Sam the Main Man Machete Maniac has Edged weapons:Machete 3(5) and a combat pool of 5.
Strength 4 weapon damage Str+3 S (from being a dikoted machete)

Standard attack comes out to be. Roll 5, + 3 CP for 8 dice.
Roll 8 dice.
1 1 2 3 4 5 5 9.
Then add them up.
for a total of 30. Now divide by your target number, 3 (Reach weapon and all) for 10 successes.

Now Flim Flam The Turkish Trog Tank really doesn't want to get hit, so he counters as normal, with his own sword. but less skill.
Edged Weapons : 3, Combat pool 5

So Flim throws down his 3 dice plus 3 combat pool for a total of 6.
1 2 3 4 4 5
Add it up, for a total of 19, div by 2 (target number, from wep and natrual reach)
9 successes. Oh oh he still gets hit by 1 success.

Then you go onto figuringout damage
Sam rolls 7 dice, from his strength and the weapon.
<insert rolls>
Sum value Divide by your attack Target number, so 3. So thats how much he inflicts.

Then Flim Soaks
Rolls Body + CP + armor rating
<insert rolls>
Sum value divided by amount of dice Sam did damage with 7 in this case.

Any remainder successes left means Flim's player marks the S damage and suffers as usual

This was how we played it on our first test game of the shadowrun system. Totally and completely wrong, but it was still fun.

Oddly this way it somehow works out that no matter how badly you roll if you are skilled enough at doing something you can never fail even with all 1s. Eh...

I rather like shadowrun's current rules I'm sad to see them go over to the static side.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 07:00 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.